TheManaDrain.com
December 04, 2021, 05:57:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Magic History: Breaking Bad Cards  (Read 1839 times)
Islandswamp
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

MTGGoldfish Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 27, 2016, 06:59:45 am »

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/magic-history-breaking-bad-cards

I was on vacation all week and I was unable to do my usual Vintage 101 article. So I finished and submitted this one instead. Hopefully people enjoy the nostalgia of these historical articles.

Vintage 101 should be back soon, probably this week. Take care, and let's all celebrate the new era of TMD! Thanks especially to tmdbrassman!

Check out my articles @ www.mtggoldfish.com  www.puremtgo.com Follow me on Twitter: @josephfiorinijr - Watch me make EPIC PUNTS on Twitch.TV @ http://www.twitch.tv/josephfiorini06

Just like a car crash,
Just like a knife.
My favorite weapon
is the look in your eyes.
You've run out of lies...
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 02:58:59 pm »

The article is something of a misnomer, really.  None of the cards discussed in the article are "bad" in an absolute sense.  If you want "bad" cards, you're talking more like Chimney Imp and Storm Crow: cards that do virtually nothing and are strictly worse than alternatives.

No, most of the cards your article addresses are cards that break rules or have extreme effects.  LED makes 3 mana out of 0.  Marit Lage is a 20/20 that pops out of a land card.  Summoner's Pact gives you a tutor effect for 0 mana.  Delusions causes a (temporary) 20 point life swing. Flash puts a dork onto the battlefield for 2 mana.   Amulet of Vigor does not have a huge effect, but it is totally unique, making it a necessary cog in a very specific combo.

The takeaway here is not that bad cards become good.  Pillarfield Ox is never going to go from a junk common to the next LED.  No, the thesis of the article should be: "Watch out for cards with massive or unique effects because they are the engines that fuel combos as more cards are printed."
John Cox
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 12:44:38 pm »

The article is something of a misnomer, really.  None of the cards discussed in the article are "bad" in an absolute sense.  If you want "bad" cards, you're talking more like Chimney Imp and Storm Crow: cards that do virtually nothing and are strictly worse than alternatives.

Chimney Imp and Storm Crow are good in limited, the cards in the article are terrible there. I think its a matter of perspective.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:53:08 pm by John Cox » Logged

portland
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 03:04:49 pm »

Yup, Trix is the epitome of taking gravel and making one of the most powerful decks of the era. Similarly the trap (very short lived) used janky cards to amazing effect.

Lucky beats good.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: