TheManaDrain.com
August 21, 2019, 12:56:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOI] Brain in a Bottle  (Read 5566 times)
portland
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2016, 02:55:40 pm »

It won't, it seems to be cleverly worded to avoid visions and other suspend abuse. Unless there's a janky interaction with another card that lets you avoid counters, but that seems a stetch.

Lucky beats good.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2016, 03:56:39 pm »

Well, there is.  You can sacrifice/bounce/blink the Brain with it's second ability on the stack.  It won't place a counter, and last known information will be zero, so it will allow you to cast Suspend cards.

Best use I can think of for this is Greater Gargadon / Restore Balance combo, since it works nicely with both sides of the combo. 
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2016, 04:09:03 pm »

Well, there is.  You can sacrifice/bounce/blink the Brain with it's second ability on the stack.  It won't place a counter, and last known information will be zero, so it will allow you to cast Suspend cards.

Best use I can think of for this is Greater Gargadon / Restore Balance combo, since it works nicely with both sides of the combo. 

Ah, well, then we are just talking about a 3 card combo that either draws 3 cards or has the end result of a card that is virtually unplayed right now. If you can make that a viable Vintage deck...or really viable in any format...

Seriously, I'm going to go into hibernation for the rest of spoiler season. See you guys then.

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2016, 04:19:10 pm »

I didn't say it was GOOD, Chubby my man, I just said it was POSSIBLE.

Anyway, don't sleep too deep.  The Madness mechanic is in Shadows, and between Baby Jace, unrestricted Thirst, and Dack Fayden, it's never been easier to trigger Madness in Vintage.  (Well, except for when everyone played Psychatog I guess.)
orgcandman
Full Members
Basic User

Providence protects children and idiots

orgcandman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2016, 08:53:54 pm »

How does this play with spheres?

Ball and Chain
Quote from: jdizzle
Congrats to the winners, but as we all know, everyone who went to this tournament was a winner
Quote from: iamfishman
Just to clarify...people name Aaron are amazing
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2016, 09:39:10 pm »

How does this play with spheres?

You still pay for them.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2016, 10:01:55 am »

a neat interation with this card is to stack it's first ability, sacrifice the card, then cast any spell with 0 mana - includes cards like ancestral vision, hypergenesis and living end.  

not sure if it's vintage relevant, but it's a non-intuitive interation I thought I'd throw out.  
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 11:16:53 am »

a neat interation with this card is to stack it's first ability, sacrifice the card, then cast any spell with 0 mana - includes cards like ancestral vision, hypergenesis and living end.  

not sure if it's vintage relevant, but it's a non-intuitive interation I thought I'd throw out.  
I don't think that works. If it did, Powder Keg would be useless.
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 11:29:19 am »

I don't think that works. If it did, Powder Keg would be useless.

In both cases, Last Known Information is used to refer to how many counters were last known.

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 12:59:24 pm »

if it has 0 counters on it, you activate this ability, sacrifice the card, then it resolves with 0 counters on it.  It has to be in play to have a counter placed on it as part of the resolution of the effect.  

The last known position of the card was 0 counters.  The additional counter is added upon resolution, and since it is not in play, no counters are added.  

How does this work with ancestral visions and wheel of fate from future sight?

As best I can tell, it doesn't work with them at all, and that's probably intentional.

So yes, it can work with them.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:26:32 pm by gkraigher » Logged
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 08:54:32 pm »

Oh, okay, putting the counter is not part of the cost. Of course. Smile
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2016, 03:17:50 pm »

So I just found out that you can announce the cheaper half of a fuse or split spell and then actually use the the more expensive half or fuse both halfs together.

In other words, you can play a fused Far/Away for 1 mana with 2 charge counters

Beck/Call
Breaking/Entering
Boom/Bust

These cards have game ending potential as early as turn 2 for just 1 mana.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:39:17 pm by desolutionist » Logged

Join the Vintage League!
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2016, 04:46:28 pm »

That's nice for Modern, but in Vintage, I think we ask more of our spells than being totally useless combo pieces, since that slot is filled quite nicely by the 2cc Time Vault.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2016, 05:23:58 pm »

Draw 4 cards and put 4 1/1 fliers into play at instant speed does seem pretty insane.  Especially for Modern (that format good grief!).  However, it does require a lot of set up so I'm unsure if it will be good enough for this format. 

I'm rather surprised by the ruling to make it so both halves of the fuse can be played.  Is there a source for this?
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2016, 06:18:33 pm »

https://mobile.twitter.com/TabakRules/status/705902583441784832

https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgfinance/comments/49tmlh/soi_brain_in_a_jar/

Join the Vintage League!
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2016, 08:25:37 pm »

that ruling is enough for me to start a mini buyout of beck//call.  Some of the pros showed up with beck//call in elves at GP Detroit and made it deep into day 2.  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:25:21 pm by gkraigher » Logged
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2016, 10:43:51 pm »

that ruling is enough for me to start a mini buyout of beck//call.  Some of the pros showed up with beck//call in elves at GP Detroit and made it deep into day 2.  

Already bought them all Smile

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2016, 06:01:02 am »

I already bought them when it was released, but never had the guts to add blue to elves. Maybe now it's time...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: