TheManaDrain.com
April 25, 2019, 05:23:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOI] Drownyard Temple  (Read 1381 times)
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:43:53 am »

T: Add C to your mana pool
3: Return Drownyard Temple from your graveyard to the battlefield, tapped.

This card is really unique, as there are plenty of graveyard strategies in Vintage/Legacy.  Dredge is one that specifically comes to mind, but the 3 mana cost to activate is probably a hinderance.  
It's probably not good, but I feel it deserves to be thrown out into the forums to see if anyone comes up with any good interactions. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:56:04 am by gkraigher » Logged
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:51:58 am »

If it went to your hand it would be a bad squee.

Since it goes to battlefield, it can trigger landfall. However you will need some mechanism to sacrifice the land and repeat the process.

It "works" with zuran orb, although you will need infinite mana to go infinite.

Unless there is some combo, it's an unplayable card in Vintage. Providing you have 3 mana to return it, you don't really need this. And it's unlikely that this card is in the graveyard against mana denial strategies: if I'm going to waste something, it's not this.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 10:55:12 am »

It "works" with zuran orb, although you will need infinite mana to go infinite.

This is the exact reason why I threw it out in the threads.  I hadn't thought about this, and it's certainly interesting.  You are right though, you would need a lot more. 
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 10:57:30 am »

With infinite mana it functions like fastbond, zuran orb, crucible in a list like salvagers without needing a restricted piece. The thing that comes to mind to me would be something like this +lotus cobra x2 and Orb, or squandered resources and this and landfall triggers. I think there are ways to make this a piece of a combo somewhere but likely other, better combo pieces need to come out to make it worth it.

Personally I love the thought of a deck that uses 4x courser of kruphix, zuran orbs, lotus cobras and the like being viable in vintage, probably not going to happen though.

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 01:11:57 pm »

I will attempt to play this card.  Whether its actually playable remains to be answered.  Getting extra bloodghast triggers if you have the mana, and the ability to ramp out of the yard seem like fine functions.  Getting to 4G for a giant Troll seems pretty easy with this.
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 01:15:13 pm »

It gets more reasonable in dredge if your list includes riftstone portal
cutlex
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 02:33:19 pm »

Works with Smokestack (and isn't made redundant with Crucible). Not sure if that's good enough, but it's something.
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 11:23:23 pm »

Another point for Landfall: Drownyard Temple allows you to trigger landfall on your opponent's turn without using a fetch land or casting a spell. Pretty minor.

Works with Smokestack (and isn't made redundant with Crucible). Not sure if that's good enough, but it's something.

In the fight of Crucible vs Drownyard Temple, I think I want Crucible almost every time. Rather than list all the times I'd want Crucible more, I'll stick to when I think Drownyard is better.

* My opponent counters Crucible
* My opponent destroys or exiles Crucible
* I want to get the land out of the graveyard at Instant speed (say, in response to having it exiled by Deathrite)
* Wasteland is no longer in my deck (Surgical extraction?)

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 01:45:16 pm »

If we're specifically talking about Smokestack, Crucible gives you +1 permanent a turn, but uses your land drop, so if you have a handful of lands crucible doesn't really do anything, and a second Crucible never does. Drownyard Temple gives you +1 permanent whether or not you use a land drop, and with multiple Drownyards you could support a Smokestack at 2 without ever losing it, which Crucible doesn't let you do. That costs 6 mana, though, which is non-trivial.

I don't think that interaction makes Drownyard significantly better or anything.

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 02:06:33 pm »

In a fight of Crucible vs Crucible, which is not uncommon for a Shops mirror, this does give you a way of getting ahead in lands/permanents.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: