TheManaDrain.com
April 20, 2019, 07:51:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: T4 at LCV march edition  (Read 1452 times)
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: March 20, 2016, 10:05:09 am »

So yesterday I got my first top 4 in LCV, after 7 years of frequesnt assistance. I managed it with this list

2 Auriok Salvagers
3 Trinket Mage
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Black Lotus
1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Sensei's Divining Top
1 AEther Spellbomb
4 Force of Will
3 Mental Misstep
1 Ancestral Recall
2 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Dig Through Time
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Time Walk
1 Repeal
1 Brainstorm
1 Fact or Fiction
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
2 Tundra
2 Underground Sea
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Tolarian Academy
3 Cavern of Souls
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Voltaic Key
1 Disenchant
1 Time Vault
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Mana Drain
1 Flusterstorm
1 Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 2 Containment Priest
SB: 1 Aegis of the Gods
SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
SB: 2 Disenchant
SB: 1 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
SB: 1 Grand Abolisher
SB: 1 Supreme Verdict
SB: 1 Serenity
SB: 2 Swords to Plowshares
SB: 1 Pithing Needle

1 hour before the tournament I picked spirits of the labyrinth to replace 2 thirsts and 1 brainstorm, but decided not to do it because tasigur would be hampered, my combo is slower, and deck gets more vulnerable to mass removal. When I arrive I ask Marcel for the tasigurs, sleeve them and start the tournament.

Round 1 Ruben Xicota (Custom affinity)
Last month he was also my first opponent and he won me 2-1, this time I'm afraid I'm a bit worse to mud, but have more acceleration and can combo fast on a lucky day. Besides, he is REALLY sick, and is playing under normal capacity. In first match I play an early voltaic that gets revoked, and after some turns he plays a strip mine from the library, not noticing that he had a city of traitors in play. He plays a golem soon after using city, I play a tasigur and decide not to block golem so I can get some advantage next turn. Next turn, he plays Ghostfire Blade and then I'm in real trouble. I analyze situation and realize about city in play, strip in grave and comment it. He feels really sorry and wants to concede, but we both had failed to realize and I don't let him. Nevertheless he feels really bad and he is really sick, so he missplays equiping revoker and attacking with both golem and revoker, which gets killed by tasigur (dying in the process because a chief of the foundry). I'm at 4 and I just have one more turn, but the topdeck is vault so I get infinite turns.
In second match I keep a hand with serenity and just wait until he has 2 moxen, 1 blade and 2 chiefs in play to play it. I'm already at 10, but the card advantage (I just lose 1 mox in the process) is enough for the win some turns later, once a tangle fades out.

Round 2 Aleix Dosta (Esper mentor)
We start mulliganing into 6. His start is far better than mine, but after an ancestral and gush he seems to stall, while I can resolve a nice ancestral. He has a mentor but despite having 6 cards seems to have little action, so when I trinket I get greedy (I have auriok in hand) and decide to go for top instead explosives... top does not bring anything and next turn he kills me.
Game 2 I mulligan again and he opens with lotus, usea, mentor, ancestral, fow backup for my fow, probe... in his T1. No need to say that I'm dead pretty soon.

Round 3 Joan Anton Mateo (4c mentor)
He mulligans, and I have vault and key in opening hand, plus flusterstorm. He draws more than me and I have no hurry to combo, so I open with top. I use top to fetch for mana, since I only have 2 lands, and I drop key and use it to draw an extra card with top, getting a fow in the process. Next turn I play blue spell in order to make him waste some countermagic, and finally I have to play vault with fow and fluster, since he taps in his turn. He fows vault, i fow back, he rebs, and I fluster both. he scoops.
Next game I start with library in hand. He does not apply pressure, so I play T2 cavern canonist, T3 abolisher.He plays fayden, stealing canonist. I bounce canonist, kill fayden with abolisher. Next turn replay canonist, which gets killed but I don't waste removal since I have the second in hand. All the time I have at least 7 cards in hand and 1-2 counters in hand. Finally I find trinket for lotus, go infinite with auriok, kill canonist with explosives, play tasigur and ancestral him infinitelly. His REBs where pretty dead because of caverns.

Round 4 Oscar Basart (Dark petition TPS)
He wins the dice, and commits into necropotence using demonic and ritual, and necro gets a fow. When I'm getting advantage he goes for a Mind Desire of 3 (all tapped). First card is bargain, followed by sol ring and petal... of course I lose right away
In second match I have T1 canonist with crypt, which stops him a lot. A wheel on his side brings me enough cards to protect canonist and combo soon after with auriok+lotus, explosives and top.
In last match I pair canonist and aegis, and while he has defense grid, he cannot take care of both creatures. I combo with auriok+lotus and tasigur. Since I know the match is won and I know he also knows it, I explain my sequence in a really fast and wrong way, so he advises me to do it clearer next time, and I have to excuse myself Sad

Round 5 Adam Subirana (Dredge)
I win the dice and he opens with leyline. I have a good hand and switch strategy to vault+key, since I have vault. I have lots of early mana and play thirst into nihil, trinket and something else, discarding explosives. I have 3 mana so better play nihil and play trinket into next turn with lots of mana. I have to crack nihil (which gives second trinket) next turn before he goes nuts, but he plays therapy naming trinket and wins few turns late.
In second match I mulligan to 5 but have T2 trinket into lotus, T3 auriok. His hand is great, no mulligan with bazaar, 1 troll and 1 imp. However, in his second turn he does not find a therapy despite dredging 17 cards and using bazaar twice. He passes the turn and with infinite mana I combo with top and explosives.
Third match is a bit different. He mulls into 4, I mull into 6. He opens again with leyline so my auriok is bad. However I have nihil to prevent him going off, and aegis prevents to play therapy on me. I find the second nihil by the time I crack first. Meantime he has two bloodghasts that slowly take my life away, and later comes a thug. I play canonist, and next turn trinket goes for pithing. With pithing and nihil I have the game in control, with fow, misstep and drain in hand. I have to use fow for chewer, and after I play auriok as a beater game is over.

Round 6 Ferran Relat (4c mentor)
ID. I go with Ferran Relat, Jaume Bonet and Jose Maria Garcia for lunch, since all of us have our spot in the top.

I finish in 4th position, so I'll start in quarterfinals

T8 Miquel Alcoriza (URB control?)
I start mulliganing into a hand with just 1 land and 1 mox but with fow. He opens into a fayden that I try to counter but he counters back. Few turns after he assembles vault+key.
Next match starts bad for me, mulliganing into tundra and tolarian but no artifacts. Scry brings a thirst that goes to bottom, and next draw isn't a mana source neither. I'm out but then... I top deck lotus, allowing me to play trinket for explosives (he has 2 moxen in play) and canonist. I don't have much notes about this match but lifes go down from 16 to 12, 8 and 6 for him. At some moment he plays mindbreak trap to a top, so my auriok combo could be in trouble, but I don't need it.
I third game I have trinket and canonist, and he has jace and a fayden that steals my canonist. I play tasigur. Tasigur is bounced and trinket kills jace after disenchanting canonist. I replay tasigur to put some pressure, and control my draws with to. Then he plays toxic deluge for 5, killing trinket and tasigur but going to 7. I decide not to use top to grab ancestral and play it for solutions, but next turn I resolve ancestral into auriok. I play auriok but not go infinite in case he has the trap since I have no answer. When he is in trouble he plays voltaic key, and I use my lone mental misstep, paid with life instead using lotus or tolarian (I was at 8 and had crypt in play, so it's a mistake that I realized 1 second later). He plays notion thief to block my auriok when he is at 4 and seems fine. When he goes for tinker I grab the fow and answer it for the win.

T4 Adam Subirana (Dredge)
I have finished over him so I start. My initial 7 is a decent hand but does nothing against dredge, with 2 lands and trinket but no acceleration. I mulligan into best hand ever: lotus, tolarian, ancestral, voltaic key, engineered explosives and underground sea. However I got pretty nervous and after he plays Leyline of the void I interpret that he is opening and I draw a card. I just get a warning, but I felt pretty sorry and chained 2 more mistakes in a row. Ancestral gives me nihil, cage, vampiric tutor. Lotus pays for nihil, key, vampiric for vault. Next turn I play sea and vault ftw.
I have to mull second hand because I have 0 manasources and he keep. My 6 has canonist but only 1 fetchland and I keep, but first 3 cards are not mana sources and lose.
In thirst match I have to mull again, opening with top. In second turn I missplay heavily: I don't use the just drawn vampiric to fetch for nihil and draw it with top. I made up my maths so at the end of his turn I have to play vampiric for explosives, since he already has 4 bridges and 8 zombies in play. I don't find more answers and next turn he passes over my aegis and trinket. I don't think I would have won even with vampiric into nihil, but I'd had a chance. And if haven't forgotten the toxic deluge at home (it was the spot of supreme verdict) I could have vampiric for it in order to kill his army and remove all his bridges, providing there was no leyline. Instead I lose Smile

Thanks for the reading, I hope somebody enjoy reading it!
PeAcH
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 04:19:15 pm »

Congratulations Xouman on the performance and the report.

Keep it up!

"Your deed cannot be undone. You, however, can be."

@Peachmtg
wappla
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 05:49:39 pm »

Congrats on the finish!

Sounds like Tasigur was pretty good for you. Would you play 2 again?
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:40:44 pm »

Well, I haven't said anything about sideboard, but often 1 tasigur was out, when aggro was not supposedly relevant (storm) or when my grave was in danger (dredge). I cannot see tasigur as 3 or more, since it's a good card to play after 3/4 turn, or to combo, but being a legend you don't want 2. Besides it's a human, so it's supposed to enter the battlefield. If it's removed, auriok has more chances to survive.

Some asked: why tasigur and not mentor? There are more than 1 reason. The most important is that it allows instawin with infinite mana. In 4th round, when I had combo'ed, my opponent said "ok, go on" and I said: "well, you know, I draw all my deck, play vault key... I just won". He said that since I said I drew all my deck, I could have troubles in less friendly environment, and he is true. Being able to with without library is no problem with tasigur.
Another reason: answers. tasigur survives bolt and sudden shock. Sulfur elemental does not affect it. Illness in the ranks, engineered plague (well, just a little), abrupt decay, virulent plague, engineered explosives... nothing. Just swords and dismember.
Moar: body. Since I'm not chaining drawing spells, mentor would hardly get over 4/4, specially in opponent's turn. Tasigur is a better blocker, winning time to combo, and puts a decent clock if needed.
Moar: card advantage. if you don't know what to do with those 4 mana at opponent's eot, use his ability. at worst you are getting a mox, that can be used for thirst.
Finally: Tasigur searches for combo. if you haven't find lotus, he can dig further, nice combination with top`

So yes, I'd play 2 again, providing I'm not going back to red. Fayden plays a "similar" role as tasigur, being the mid game card that attracts removal or gets slow advantage. Pyrite also has a similar role, providing instawin. Chewers and wear//tear have no real replacement. But tasigur, tutors and deluge (if I remember to bring it), and maybe yixlid have no replacement too.

Edit: Btw, thank you very much for helping me with the sideboard the night before. All adjustments were for good, and helped me to understand better my own deck Smile
tito del monte
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:53:01 am »

Hey Xouman,

Congrats on your finish! Know you've been on a long journey (if I remember rightly) of being a semi-powered aggro-control player, to a fully powered blue mage and hope this result made it worth the while! Also on a side note, great to see the LCV edging up in attendance again - be great if you can reach the 50 mark.

All the best and congrats!

Titus

xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 08:57:32 am »

Thank you titus! Very Happy

I were on budget for years, but after getting the P9 it's hard to leave it at home  Embarassed
While it's not my first top8, I have always lost my first game everytime so this is a milestone for me Very Happy

About reaching 50 again, it will tough Sad Average age of the attendants grow year after year, people is having children and when one person fails, often their mates fail too, and it's hard to recover them. While saving 1 Saturday every month does not seem massive, it could be hard for some people with family's responsibilities. At least we have bounced from 30 people, let's try to stay over 40 all the season Smile
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: