TheManaDrain.com
September 23, 2019, 04:01:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote YES in Randy Buehler's poll  (Read 5841 times)
Katzby
« on: December 05, 2003, 02:53:48 am »

Perhaps this isn't the right forum for this, but this is pretty important and people need to see this.

From Randy Buehler's most recent article:

Quote Should I do a follow-up article to this one discussing the Type 1 restrictions and the other cards we considered but chose not to ban or restrict?    
Yes
No

Read it again.  "... we considered but chose not to BAN or restrict?"  It makes one wonder how close we came to losing Yawgmoth's Will after all, doesn't it?

EDIT:  Actually, now that I read it again, the wording makes me think he was referring to the other cards that were considered for banning from extended, not from type 1.

All type 1 players, for obvious reasons, please click the above link and vote YES.  I assume you want to see this as much as I do.

Katzby\n\n

MoreFling
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 02:55:47 am »

Hell yeah, I want to see this.
Dr. Sylvan
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 03:37:27 am »

If only to hear what else they had on the "whiteboard" for Type 1, this would be a landmark article we'd all be linking to for months if not years. This is a great opportunity.
Triple_S
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 10:08:26 am »

While this will probably be an interesting article to be sure, I feel that too much importance is going to be placed upon this article.  But that is the MO of the community, generally speaking, to have a chicken little type exaggerated reaction to anything.  Just my opinion.
Smmenen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 10:09:35 am »

You should have had me post this.  VOTE YES DAMNIT!

Steve
K-Run
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 12:40:21 pm »

I hope I won't be disappointed with that article; it could be one of the most important articles WotC ever wrote about T1. I'm extremely interested in knowning how they got their info.
Phantom Tape Worm
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 12:54:56 pm »

I'd be willing to bet that the article is too vague to really gather any useful insight as to why certain cards get restricted and others do not.  Even so, no doubt it will still be an interesting read and, as Triple_S pointed out, will undoubtedly cause a stir in the type 1 community. We'll be debating the meanings of individual words Randy used for weeks as we try in vain to interpret their ambiguous ways.
BreathWeapon
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 01:27:27 pm »

"Heads we ban Yawgmoth's Will, Tails we restrict LED, Chrome Mox and Burning Wish."

-Randy Buehler  
Dr. Sylvan
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 01:37:47 pm »

Quote from: BreathWeapon+Dec. 05 2003,12:27
Quote (BreathWeapon @ Dec. 05 2003,12:27)"Heads we ban Yawgmoth's Will, Tails we restrict LED, Chrome Mox and Burning Wish."

-Randy Buehler  
"If it lands on the edge, we follow Azhrei's "restrict FoW" plan just to see how many pissed-off emails we get and see if an actual disastrous decision gets any more whining than an ordinary announcement."
Matt The Great
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 01:40:35 pm »

Quote from: Dr. Sylvan+Dec. 05 2003,12:37
Quote (Dr. Sylvan @ Dec. 05 2003,12:37)
Quote from: BreathWeapon+Dec. 05 2003,12:27
Quote (BreathWeapon @ Dec. 05 2003,12:27)"Heads we ban Yawgmoth's Will, Tails we restrict LED, Chrome Mox and Burning Wish."

-Randy Buehler  
"If it lands on the edge, we follow Azhrei's "restrict FoW" plan just to see how many pissed-off emails we get and see if an actual disastrous decision gets any more whining than an ordinary announcement."
Hahaha, it's funny because it's true.
rozetta
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 02:14:11 pm »

Holy crap, I like this quote:

"We also know that there are more artifacts coming later on in the Mirrodin block that would be quite ridiculous to Tinker out early in a game so this was not a difficult decision."

Sounds interesting...
Smash
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 02:46:32 pm »

Quote from: rozetta+Dec. 05 2003,11:14
Quote (rozetta @ Dec. 05 2003,11:14)Holy crap, I like this quote:

"We also know that there are more artifacts coming later on in the Mirrodin block that would be quite ridiculous to Tinker out early in a game so this was not a difficult decision."

Sounds interesting...
Come on draw engine for wmud! They made 2 at least decent artifact draw engines in mirrodin. Maybe they can make something skullcap level with a lesser drawback
spevack
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 02:50:31 pm »

I thought Randy's article was very good, and I hope he writes one about Type 1 too.

I think another article by RB that would be very interesting to read is one that discusses overall ban/restricted list management.

I would love to see answers to these questions:

Each time a new B/R list is released, do you not only consider what additions are necessary, but also consider if anything can be safely removed from the lists?

The banned list in Extended is now over 20 cards.  How Does R&D feel about having so many cards on the list?

What exactly does it take for a card to be unrestricted/unbanned?
Tristal
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 04:30:11 pm »

I have to point out that if we see a lot more broken artifacts in Fifth Dawn and Darksteel, I would bet restricting Mishra's Workshop is not far behind. Razz
BreathWeapon
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2003, 07:55:12 pm »

Quote from: Smash+Dec. 05 2003,11:46
Quote (Smash @ Dec. 05 2003,11:46)
Quote from: rozetta+Dec. 05 2003,11:14
Quote (rozetta @ Dec. 05 2003,11:14)Holy crap, I like this quote:

Sounds interesting...
Come on draw engine for wmud! They made 2 at least decent artifact draw engines in mirrodin. Maybe they can make something skullcap level with a lesser drawback
I heard about this card called Mind's Eye
Ric_Flair
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2003, 08:09:56 pm »

Given that Randy admitted they thought about, but ultimately rejected banning Yawgmoth's Will I think I am owed a public apology by a one Mr. Solaran X.  I was not CRAZY for thinking they should ban Will.  They considered and believe me the more cards that are added the format, the closer they come to doing.  It is only a matter of time and Randy's comments prove that.
jpmeyer
fancy having a go at it?
Adepts
Basic User

badplayermeyer
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2003, 10:19:50 pm »

When I read "considered but chose not to ban" I think he was talking more along the lines of City of Traitors and Isochron Scepter...

Team Meandeck: "As much as I am a clueless, credit-stealing, cheating homo I do think we would do well to consider the current stage of the Vintage community." -Smmenen
Eastman
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2003, 11:30:40 pm »

UP!!

vote! (yes!! Smile )
Dr. Sylvan
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2003, 11:35:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure the poll will be overwhelmingly in favor of hearing about the restrictions. The magicthegathering.com voter pool likes pretty much any definite column idea when the alternative is some random, unknown other column that could be done instead. Nevertheless, everyone should vote, because the more overwhelming, the more they can tell that there's an audience for the format, so they should keep giving us at least as much support as they are currently. It would be awesome if this poll managed to get a record number of votes, though I doubt it will happen.
specialk
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2003, 12:04:44 am »

I voted no because he would be a fool not to do it
Nameless
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2003, 04:50:08 pm »

I voted Yes just because I'm curious, after I sent him a huge email about Zen and the art of Magic.  Oh wait, that was Laura Mills, my bad.

I am curious though...  Are there really any cards that we need BANNED?  I mean really...

BTW:  Does anybody know how to fix a .gif so that little bitch avatar of mine stops with that stupid little white line on the bottom that shows up sometimes?\n\n

Mon, Goblin Chief
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2003, 11:36:56 am »

Actually the plan seems to have worked. We didn't get an article for that, we do get a full theme-week instead! (and that article will probably be part of said week anyway)Cool

Quote Many of you have probably noticed by now that this week’s column did not include an explanation of the recent additions to the Type 1 Restricted List. That’s because this poll result spoke so loudly that (for the first time in two years) I made a suggestion for a magicthegathering.com Theme Week. I think those of you who are interested in Type 1 will be happy with it, and also with my next column.

article here.\n\n

Nameless
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2003, 11:52:24 am »

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/rb101

I hate those sorry bastards at Wizards!

We were supposed to get back to having Vintage in the Invitational and now this?!?

I wanna see sorry-assed pros playing in a format they are ass in playing ass decks, because they have no real skill!

Christ!

I guess it's pointless to complain though, because the worthless peices of shit that work over there couldn't care less what we think anyway.

Then again, I pretty much hate everybody so...  I guess that isn't much of an exception after all.\n\n

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: