TheManaDrain.com
September 23, 2019, 02:23:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spoils Mask  (Read 6948 times)
Clown of Tresserhorn
« on: December 08, 2003, 01:56:52 am »

So, I've taken a liking to Smmenen's MaskNought deck, and decided that a serious thread should be started about it, seeing as how it will likely be a top-tier deck post january 1st. Here's his list to begin with:

15 Swamps
7 SoLoMoxen
1 Mana Crypt
4 Dark Ritual
-27 Mana Sources

4 Masks
4 Noughts
4 Negators
-12 Win conditions

4 Unmask
4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
-12 Disruption Spells

4 Spoils of the Vault
1 Demonic Consultation
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
-7 Tutors

1 Necropotence
1 Yawgmoth's Will
-2 Broken Goodies

SB often changes, so I will leave it out for now. In my very, very limited testing of this deck, I've noticied that unless you have a combo piece and a tutor, this deck stalls out like nobody's business. I played vs. some aggro decks, and though I had a winning record, it was not by much. Spoils will, quite often deal 10 damage to you, and aggro decks have enough creatures to kill you, even in spite of a 12/12 blocker. Against control, this deck is simply amazing, as even if you're at 3 or less life, it doesn't matter, because they have no way of dealing with a 2 turn clock, ESPECIALLY after you hand disrupt them (although this is probably already common knowledge). Because of mask's ability to just stall out, has anyone thought of splashing for a second color? The cons, obviously, are:

1) weakens your manabase, though not by too much, as you're still able to run 4+ basic lands, and because your primary kill condition is colorless.
2) makes you think about cards like unmask and hymn, as your black mana count may be lowered, along with your black spells count.

Other than these two primary reasons, there really isn't a reason to NOT splash a secondary color. The choice, then, becomes what color to splash. The three that jump to mind are Blue, Red, and Green. For blue, you get:

Ancestral
Time walk
Timetwister
Recoil

Obviously, this would look alot like the old masknought decks, only better, because spoils means you don't have to completely butcher your build. I really like splashing blue, as it gives you recoil, a MD answer to Null rod, which WILL be played, inevitabely, if scepter control decks get out of hand. Also, time walk is obviously AMAZING here.

For Red, we get:

Blood Moon
Rack and Ruin
Gorilla Shaman

This splash is worth looking at if expecting tons of nonbasics and artifacts. Blood Moon, while strong, isn't worth the splash, IMO, because mask simply dominates the control match, where blood moon shines. However, it does almost nothing against fast aggro decks. As for rack and ruin, I think that may be the best reason to splash red. With new innovations of Workshop decks, and scepter decks (not to mention null rod), rack and ruin just gets better.

And finally green:

Pernicious Deed
Naturalize

When I played mask for a brief period last year, I played a B/G version and fell in love with it. Not only do you get an answer to null rod, but it also helps tremendously in almost EVERY hard matchup. Naturalize, though seemingly weak, is another option vs. dragon decks (albeit a weak one) and null rod.

Well, those, In my eyes are the relevant splashes in masks. The great thing is that spoils is hardly affected. I believe mask really needs to splash in order to deal with the hate floating around. discard is a great thing, but it doesn't do much against TDing. Also, with brainstorms played, people can simply hide a bomb vs. mask. I think a well-built mask deck can go a far way in the post january metagame. Finally, I leave you with my mask build:

4 Polluted Delta
4 Bayou
1 Forest
10 Swamps
7 SoLomoxen
4 Dark Ritual
1 Mana Crypt
-27 Mana Sources

4 Masks
4 Dreadnoughts
4 Negators
-12 win conditions

4 Spoils of the vault
1 Demonic Consultation
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
-7 Tutors

4 Duress
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Pernicious Deed
-12 Disruption spells

1 Necropotence
1 Yawgmoth's will (doesn't seem as good when you can't replay the dreads)
-2 Broken Goodies
-60 MD cards

4 Planar Void
3 Lightning Greaves
3 Chains
2 Lord of Tresserhorn
3 Metagame spots
-15 SB cards

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

-Bob

EDIT: I'm a dumbass for leaving out the manabase from my build \n\n

Smmenen
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 02:07:29 am »

Just to be fair, meandeck helped out alot with this - it was a group effort.

About stalling - I think th deck probably mulligans about once every two games.

That said, I think the deck is going to be a monster in January.  But Wastelands are going to be bigger than ever.  Do we want to risk having dual lands for a marginal benefit that weakens the power of Unmask?  

Steve
Matt The Great
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 02:07:41 am »

1. What are the Tresserhorns sided in against?

2. Isn't Deed really great against this deck? You have a full boat of Moxen, plus your combo requires two very cheap permanents. And if Deed isn't that good, remember than white has a better Naturalize in the form of Seal of Cleansing. It also has random utility stuff like Vindicate, if you want that, Balance, and some expanded sideboard options.
Clown of Tresserhorn
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 02:39:26 am »

Smmenen: About wastelands, they do hurt, but keep in mind the deck would only run 4-6 Nonbasics (excluding fetches, which do help thin the deck). That still leaves the deck with a large amount of basics to work with. But I think that you are right in that losing Unmask kinda sucks. In my build (which is your/team meandecks build only with deeds and therapies over hymns and unmasks), the black mana count is only lowered by 4 (fetches), and the black spell count is still the same. I just felt that anything unmask could take, deed could take care of, plus, cabal therapy can always be flashed back in emergency cases. The one thing that sucks though, is that Unmask is a HOUSE vs. workshop decks, taking their welders. But other than that, Duress serves almost the same purpose. The reason for the splashes though, is that I'm terribly afraid of null rod and chalice (ESPECIALLY null rod). the aggro I tested against was mainly metagamed sui, fish, madness, and TnT. when playing sui and fish, a resolved rod was game. and even with ALL of the discard, they would often TD it and walk all over me. Plus, there was the rare instance where I would spoils for 10 damage and they would keep swinging and eventually kill me because they had an overwhelming amount of critters (in the case of TnT and Madness). As for the stalling out, I have noticied that I mulligan much more with the deck. Keeping a crap hand is about the worst thing you or the opponent can do to hurt it. Even a hand with a combo piece and a spoils without disruption is risky.

Matt: Deed is a double edged sword. When played against me, it does wreck me. But when played properly, it is house. Against non-control decks (read: aggro), I often drop a deed, find my combo, blow deed and proceed to win. Also, it catches Workshop decks who overextend with their pants down. Last, it does help vs. dragon game 1. you can always cast deed and let it sit their, making it a bit hard for the dragon deck to go off (as now, they need 2 animate spells to get the win, all the while you're stripping their hand). White is good, but my question is: What else does it offer other than seal? I can see sacred ground, maybe, but thats it. As for the lord of tresserhorn, his reason in SB is two-fold:
1) He's my favorite creature (heck, card) in the game of magic (hence the nick). I know, I suck
2) While type 1 has been on a rise, there are still aggro decks that you HAVE to beat in order to make the top tables. In short, it's dreadnought #5 and 6, plus it doesn't die to the artifact hate that will be brought in against you. While it hasn't been spectacular, he has won me a few games.
Smmenen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 02:49:56 am »

It sounds like you've done your homework.  I was going to suggest Coffin Purge instead of Planar Void - they are both black so you don't have Unmask Problems, but I think that Purge is better.

Steve
BreathWeapon
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 02:58:18 am »

Not only does a Splash weaken your Manabase vs Wasteland, but Stifle as well ... which is growing in some circles as "The" card to MD in Fish and U/r Phid/Scepter. That said, my favorite splash is Red for R&R, REB and Bloodmoon.

Mask should be REALLY strong come Jan 1st. Keeper will most likely ditch Chalices for Scepters, and thats definately in Spoils-Mask's favor.
Clown of Tresserhorn
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 03:10:19 am »

hehe, I've playtested a bit, but there's still a long way to go...as for purges, I did think of them, but eventually yanked them for the voids. In my eyes, Mask can only realistically dedicate 4-5 spots SB for graveyard hate (as too many doesn't help you win, just disrupts your opponent), and with 7 solid tutors, it should be hard to find one of these cards early game. I was sold on planar void for the following reasons:

purge is a one shot (maybe 2 shot) deal. With planar void, you can play it on turn 1 and absolutely destroy their draw engine. That is the thing I'm most concerned with. Plus, planar void has proven to be really strong vs. Tog, which I expect will be returning. The reason why planar void was never good in old mask decks, IMO, was the lack of consistency getting it out early. Tainted pact cost 2 mana (which can be the difference between dropping 2nd turn void and 3rd turn void, a HUGE difference), and wasn't a guarantee (while spoils isn't either, it often digs farther than pact). I will often spoils for a planar void in my opening hand if I have atleast 1 combo piece in hand vs. dragon. It has backfired a few times, but when planar void hits, it's more than likely game (unless they have bazaar, sapphire, lotus in play and WGD and Necromany in hand). Also, with purge, bear with me, this is totally theoritical, it seems reactive. The first few turns with mask, I'm usually tapped out of black mana to play spells like duress, mask, demonic, or even hymn (in a monoblack build). Playing with a purge in hand means you always have to keep atleast 1 black open, which at times hurts your tempo. In anycase, as soon as I'm done with finals, I'll be testing many cards that I have in mind (including purge).
Methuselahn
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 08:07:54 am »

One reason to not splash is when you need to spoils for mana.  Spoils for a Swamp may leave you enough life points for another Spoils.  Any multicolored deck is near impossible.

Purge is best.  It works with Chains of Mephs so nicely.  If you are playing Chains in the SB than you really don't need Planar Void or Withered Wretch.  (wretch has always seemed to work best vs. Tog.)  Dragon can work around Planar Void, Coffin Purge is better because it seals the deal and it's an instant and instants rule.

Proactive, permanent based disruption that the splash gives you just ends up slowing this deck down.
Fever
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 10:39:56 am »

Personally, i believe that if you want to splash a color into a deck like this, you are better off going for brokeness than utility. Deed is a strong card, but it has negative synergy with much of the deck, when you consider that green does not add much else i dont see why you would pick that as your splash. I think the other two options, Bu and Br are more viable.

Red obviously lets you bring in a lot of hate from your sb, with the option of maindeck Blood Moon if your meta calls for it. It will give you plenty of artifact hate, as well as the ever-popular REB.

Blue, however, would be my choice. It doesnt really bring much utility, but one cannot understate the importance of Ancestral and Walk in this deck. One card you did not list, which i feel makes the cut, is Mystical Tutor, because you can never have enough tutoring in this type of deck. It only gets better when you add Recoil as a way to get around pesky cards like Null Rod and the like. I would advise strongly against Timetwister though, as it seems too risky to maindeck, even if it does partially screw Dragon.

Also keep in mind that only splashing a few cards should not affect Unmask greatly, especially since you can still pitch cards like Deed and Recoil. In the same vein, using only 4 Duals+4 Fetch for your splash should be quite enough while not making yourself too vulnerable to non-basic hate.
Ezechiel
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 11:22:00 am »

4 Spoils...
Sorry to take this opportunity to discuss the Spoils effect.

I perfectly understand the tutoring power of this card and I quickly grabbed 4 of them when I could, but I tried it in Type 2 and in Mirrodin Block and I had to quickly remove it. I haven't tried in Type 1, but as much as I find Demonic Consultation great, my feeling towards Spoils of the Vault are more mixed...

Except tutoring for a land, you will risk a lot. Sure, sometimes you find the card you wished for only a few cards down your library, but after playtesting it and doing some probability computation, I found it really, really dangerous.

If you tutor for a card you don't have in hand after your initial draw (53 cards left in the library), you will lose 10 life 50% of the time and in 14% of the case, it will outright kill you.

Now, I can understand in Long.dec. It simply translate that you will set up your win condition in 86% of the time (if you tutor for the right element). The opponent as no time to retaliate.

Here, you set him up on a fast clock, but it is still a two turns clock...
My question might look naive, but since nobody plays Spoils Mask in my area, I lack practice against it to see its strength -  I only tested first hand its drawbacks.

Ezechiel
Fever
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 11:27:48 am »

Spoils IS risky, however the general concensus is that the reward is worth the risk in this case. I was also very skeptical at first, considering the massive possible life-loss, but in practice its not as bad as it looks on paper. I still dont love the card, i have many of the same feelings i have about Consult, but for Mask to be fast enough to compete in a high-powered meta, then it is a necessary evil.

If your metagame has more cheap aggro and less combo, then perhaps an older Mask variant such as Tainted Mask could be a better choice. In this case, we are discussing the optimal build of Spoils-Mask for a highly competitive metagame, so removing the Spoils really isnt an option.
Clown of Tresserhorn
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2003, 12:53:11 pm »

About the splashes:

I chose green over red and blue because, again, I see a broad metagame where deed is house. If I were going into a control - powered metagame, I think blue would be the best logical choice, as fever stated. Red offers nothing but hate, which, IMO is not as strong as what blue offers. rack and ruin will outright win you games vs. MUD and will save your ass vs. scepter decks, but the power of the big blue are too great to ignore. I REALLY like timetwister in the deck, even more so than ancestral. This deck is pretty much combo (minus negator), so twister is alost a natural fit. The only decks that can abuse 7 new cards as much are MUD and TPS. Against MUD it isn't necessarily bad as you take out their welding ability. When everyone packs mad hate, I think twister can be a great recursion tool. Plus, after you twister, you will likely have cast spoils once, thining your deck even more. I personally like it, but I can see why people wouldn't (works against discard strategy). Anyways, back to the green splash, I think deed does what rack and ruin, seal of cleansing and recoil all do. It gives you enough time to set up and win (or get rid of the bigger threats in Null Rod and Chalice). Even the THREAT of a deed will make the other player play conservatively, slowing them down, giving you time to set up. I personally LOVE the card to death, but if you are seeing nothing but control, I agree the green splash probably isn't worth it.

About planar void:
Doesn't planar void work even better with chains? I think you may be right in that purge is better than void in the dragon and even rector-trix matchup (although not by much), but planar void is INFINITELY better in the Tog, wMUD, Neo-TnT matchup (granted, you already have stuff for these matchups, planar void is still awesome). Again, with planar void,it's proactive; you drop it for one and let the opponent deal. This is often within the first few turns, where he may not have drawn into a force. With purge, you have to wait till he discards the dragon into his graveyard and hope he hasn't drawn FoW. Even if you stop his combo once, he still can go off if you don't find another purge. Anyways, I see planar void as the all around better card.

About spoils:
I HATED it when I starting playing this deck, but then I accepted it later on. Think of it in this sense: If you die to a spoils, wasn't it going to be inevitable anyways? If your mask or dreadnought wasn't until TWENTY cards later, likely, ANY scrub deck could have won against you. Granted, you have negator, but any competitve deck could deal with a 4 turn clock. Bottom line, it gets your combo, which is ALWAYS a good thing.
Fever
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2003, 01:38:03 pm »

I think the real problem with Deed is you only want to see it when you are losing. If you are winning, meaning you have either a Mask or Nought(or both) in play, then you really dont want to blow the Deed. Even in a situation where you have no choice to sac it, like for instance versus MUD, there is no guarantee that you will find another Mask/Nought before your opponent reloads.

Obviously, there are times where you can hold back and blow the Deed first, then lay down the combo. However that should not be a main plan of attack for this style of deck, and i wouldnt want to have to rely on that happening too often.

By now its obvious that you are set on the green splash, and since i dont play in your area i really cant judge that call, but overall i would have to say i dont agree with it.
mrieff
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2003, 10:37:31 am »

Minor point: I'd play a mix of Bloodstained Mire and Delta You'd get the red bluff of R&R, and it helps against theraphy.
bebe
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2003, 10:58:34 am »

There are a few good reasons to play with a green splash main -
Sylvan Safekeeper
This card prevents your Naught ( or Negator) from any targeted removal which I hear is some good.
Xantid Swarm
Allows you to get the Mask in play
There a few good reasons to splash green for the side -
I would relegate both Deeds and Naturalize to the side as this is aggro-combo and the emphasis should be on getting out and protecting your main threat.\n\n

Matt The Great
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2003, 11:12:02 am »

Quote from: mrieff+Dec. 09 2003,09:37
Quote (mrieff @ Dec. 09 2003,09:37)Minor point: I'd play a mix of Bloodstained Mire and Delta You'd get the red bluff of R&R, and it helps against theraphy.
Therapy can't get lands, nor can Meddling Mage. You could bluff Tainted Pact...or be extra insured against Haunting Echoes.
Clown of Tresserhorn
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2003, 02:23:30 am »

sigh...so after playtesting extensively, I've come to the conclusion that blue may be the best splash for Mask, not green. Recoil has been pretty stellar, as has the big blue. In the board, you can also run hurkyl's recall, which has personally been a favorite card, as you can bounce pesky artifacts, or save your dreadnought. As for the dragon matchup, I think Steve was right about the coffin purges; they are better than crypt or planar void, but not for the reason that everyone has stated. In my testing, it is because of 1 card: pernicious deed. After boarding, dragon has access to deed, and a smart dragon player will just sit on his ass, cast deed in the face of void or crypt, and simply go off. with purge, you can play around it. Void is still a great card, but I think purge is a bit better in that specific sideboard.

Back to the idea of a splash...is it worth it? I know it's been beat to death, but has anyone else really toyed around with a splash? is recoil, R&R, and deed really better than more discard? I've found myself wanting to play a monoblack mask when playing keeper, simply because I shut off his/her wastelands and stifles, and I get more discard...but then I play a deck like fish and shudder in the thought of a resolved null rod. There will DEFINITELY be a resurgance in the use of Null Rods, blood moons, wastelands, and gorilla shamans, so I'm not to certain a splash is worth it. Is there any black card that takes care of pesky artifacts like chalice or null rod? I thought of disk, but it really isn't so hot against problem matchups.
Hanzalot
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2003, 04:07:20 am »

I played a lot of games with Spoils Mask mono-b last night against Dragon, wMud and Vengeur Masque w/ white. Especially against Masque it was incredible annoying not being able to do anything at all against a resolved Survival.

The problem with splashing for solutions, as I see it, is that since you have probably already used a SotV to tutor up a dreadnought or Mask (which we assume have been stopped in some way) then you pretty much have to rely on topdecking one of your 'solution cards' (except of course for the regular tutors) since you rarely can afford to spoils twice. So you would probably need at least 3 or 4 of that 'solution card' but then it will quite often clog your hand. With Tainted Mask you had much better topdecking possibilities.

Another problem with SotV that I encountered a few times is that if you spoil for a mask with a dreadnought in hand and then proceed to remove 2-3 dreadnoughts from the game before getting to a mask. If your opponent deals with the one in your hand, then you're in big trouble.

I'm not saying that spoils mask isn't better than tainted mask but there are some rather serious problems with spoils. However do note that I probably didn't play my discard perfectly since it was my first time with the deck.

I didn't like Hymn all that much. Against both Dragon and wMud it can be a little risky and besides it costs 2 where Cabal Therapy only costs one, so if I stayed with mono-b I would try switching.

As I see it you should splash for either green or blue. Choosing green you could maindeck 3 Naturalize, but blue looks a little better. I think I'm going to test this:

+ 3 recoil (never completely dead)
+ Time Walk
+ Ancestral Recall

- 4 Hymn to Tourach
- 1 Unmask

By the way just a thought, would substituting something like 2 swamp and the 3 off-color moxen  for 1 strip mine and 4 wasteland be completely dumb? Wasteland is soo strong these days and without Hymn you don't need more than 1 swamp to get going.\n\n

Setnakt
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2003, 04:49:46 am »

On the subject of Strips...I've been testing Spoils Mask, and I decided that to help with the disruption, since Hymn can be risky (because of Dragon) and Therapy can miss occasionally (like against keeper, if you're in a situation where you want to get rid of Swords...and FoW...and Drain...) I yanked that discard slot and just swapped in a full compliment of Strips (removing one swamp in addition), because it's good tempo, etc., and it can color screw them out of casting what you want them to discard anyways. But the most convincing reason was a metagame concern...blowing up Bazaars is worthwhile in my eyes, since the Dragon matchup is just about whoever gets their combo through faster, and Mask takes two untaps to win. So getting rid of what basically is their fastest kill mechanism seems good here.

So basically, I want Strips too. But I wouldn't cut back on the mana base too much, since the acceleration can be very important.

Another point is, with the increased land count with the 5 Strips, is Mox Diamond worthwhile? Since acceleration is never bad in this deck and usually you're not going to do much with that extra Swamp anyways, and you can pitch Wastes if you need the colored mana or something if that weird situation arises somehow.

And on THAT subject, what about Lotus Petal? As far as I can tell it's an on-color Mox that sits around as long as you need it - one turn. Good with YawgWin too.
Clown of Tresserhorn
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2003, 01:46:40 pm »

I really like the blue splash, but how come everyone is so quick at leaving out twister? In my eyes, it's one of the BEST spells you gain from blue. With control on the rise, it is a BOMB. it dicks over tog, and can screw over wMUD or Dragon if played right. Mask is one of the MOST explosive decks right now, I see no reason not to run it.

As for strips, I tested them and simply didn't need them. In most cases, I would have rather just dumped my combo ASAP than try to mana screw them. I would almost never play a first turn waste, simply because my opening play is almost always duress, or keeping a black open for spoils. After you get out your combo, wastes may be good, but you should be winning anyways. with 12 discard cards, you disrupt the opponent well enough. wastelands are only useful in the dragon matchup, but in my testing, if you grab an intuition from their hand, even with an active bazaar, the game is not nearly as close. As for the workshop matchup, wastelands may be good, but think about this: if they even get 1 use out of workshop, it'll be worth it. A smart workshop player will play first and just try to dump a chalice at 1, or even 2, and absolutely WRECK you.

Right now, I'm sticking monoblack, as I haven't had any real problems yet, except for null rod, and even then, it's a rare occurance.
Hanzalot
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2003, 04:18:22 pm »

This is one point where our experiences differ:

Quote After you get out your combo, wastes may be good, but you should be winning anyways.

Too often this what not the case for me. In half of about 6 games versus Dragon, it would win the turn before I could swing for the second time. Against Vengeur Masque my first dreadnought often met StP or a dreadnought/shapeshifter (this was after turn 1 discard spell from me). The vengeur masque player would then tutor up a new dreadnought with survival while I had big problems finding a new one soon enough - in some cases because one or more had been removed from the game when playing spoils for mask.

Perhaps in some of these cases wastes could help slow the game down just enough to let you win... I'll have to stop talking and start testing.
Clown of Tresserhorn
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2003, 07:23:06 pm »

My main problem with wastelands in the deck is that spoils mask is supposed to be about speed. stalling out with wastelands usually is a bad play (unless playing against a very land light deck or dragon). Against decks like keeper, I often opt to throw some disruption (in the form of discard) and drop the combo ASAP.

As for V/Ninja Mask, I have not tested the match at all, so I can't really speak on the topic.
MisterShark
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2003, 12:27:16 am »

Don't have time to go into a lengthy support peice right now, but in my experience, in playing Tainted Mask, Fever Mask(Blue/Black) and now Spoils Mask; Vengeur Masque seems to be the most powerful variant due to it's flexibility and ability to avoid stalling.  One of my buddies that I play against plays the Vengeur build, and almost always outplayed the other 3 versions which I was bringing to the table.
Malus
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2003, 01:48:32 am »

Currently I'm testing a Fever Mask build with Spoils of the Vault in it.  I like it better than Spoils Mask, however, it makes tutoring for land much more difficult.  Might be a wee bit slower, but I figured counter backup, blue power, and Recoil would make up for a slight loss in speed.  Seems pretty consistent in testing, but it still probably doesn't top the versatility and resiliency of Vengeur Mask.
Fever
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2003, 09:19:27 am »

Heh, the fact that a few people even remember my deck is cool, however i dont see why you would want to play it these days.

For pure speed and disruption, Spoils Mask is clearly number one. Of course it comes with an inherent risk of suicide, but most players seem to do well with it regardless of that fact.

The other choice is Vengeur, which is slower but more resilient than Spoils Mask. The sheer number of options, both in deckbuilding and playmaking, make the deck more difficult to play, but it has shown to be a contender.

Fever Mask isnt as fast as Spoils and not as versatile as Vengeur. Its only real advantage is that it is rather simple to play and packs a lot of draw/search. Still, Shadowmage/Ophidian are way too slow in the current enviroment, so one would have to totally overhaul the deck in order to make it truly viable.
Eastman
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2003, 08:44:40 pm »

I've tested a bit with Yawgmoth's Bargain in the deck as a 61st card (I wasn't sure quite what to cut and I was curious) and the fact is you can almost always cast it turn 3 or 4 and can sometimes do so turn 1 or 2. It's just so damned broken that it seems a worthy inclusion since you can cast it early with mox/rit type hands or drop it a bit late in the battle after you/your opponent have been expended.

Point is, this is a deck that can reliably cast Bargain. As the old saying goes 'if your deck can reliably cast Yawgmoth's Bargain, you damn well better be running it.'\n\n

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: