TheManaDrain.com
January 24, 2022, 02:46:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Play'em while you can (GAT)  (Read 2226 times)
-CF-
« on: June 01, 2003, 10:53:56 pm »

In an effort to get as much mileage out of my foil, signed Gushes I decided on GAT again at the local tourney (I've played keeper and tried hulk recently). We only had 6 players, but who cares? That means everyone plays each other and that's five rounds of playing broken spells.

GAT'em while you GOT'em!

Round 1 against Torstein - again with sligh.
Last time I played GAT, I crushed Torstein 2-0 in the early rounds then lost 0-2 in the finals (vise + wastelands). Revenge was due. For some reason he had no REBs in his SB and my draws were decent. 2-0.

Round 2 against arch nemesis Harald - BGU goodstuff deck (fully powered)
Deed is dangerous, but so is Y. Will. 2-0.

Round 3 against powerless Nether Void
"Sorry, you have too many targets for Misdirection." 2-0

Round 4 against Kjetil with fully powered Illusions/Donate oath
Weird deck that didn't do much. Game two was the funniest: I sided in 2 Duress and 1 Disrupt, then get all three in my opening hand. I Duress his FoW, then have Disrupt for his Abeyance in my upkeep turn 2. 2-0

Last round against Abid with a borrowed monofoil Dragon deck
Read the header. 2-0.

GAT was unstoppable, but I maintain it is not based on Gush alone. Yes, Gush fits amazingly well in this deck - as the other 56 cards are there to abuse it and nullify its drawback - but the card works more like a big Giant Growth or anti-LD than a card drawer per se. I guess one can just up the Berserk count and maintain a lot of the same explosiveness.

The decklist I landed on:

4 Dryad
3 Tog

18 mana (loa, 5 fetchies, 8 duals, 3 moxen, lotus)

4 Gush
4 Brainstorm
2 Sleight of Hand
2 Opt (I don't own more than 2 sleights)
2 Merchant Scroll
2 Cunning Wish

4 FoW
3 Misdirection
3 Mana Drain
1 Daze

8 Restricted things (vamp, dt, will, walk, ancestral, regrowth, fastbond, mystical)

SB:
2 Smother, 1 Edict, 1 Naturalize, 1 Rushing River, 1 Disrupt, 1 FoF, 1 Teferi's Response, 1 Misdirection, 1 Submerge, 1 Ebony Charm, 1 Berserk, 2 Duress, 1 Island

Yes. Another sloppy report, but I write these things to record the events for myself more than entertain you. Sorry Wink

--
Chris\n\n

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: