TheManaDrain.com
January 24, 2022, 03:27:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reanimator takes first  (Read 4452 times)
waSP
« on: June 07, 2003, 12:37:39 am »

Hey all.  Another Friday, another tourney.  This one was a full proxy tourney, entire decks were allowed to be proxied.  The store owner does this once a month to encourage people to try out new things in type 1 as a sort of way to increase accessibility.  I was planning on playing Rector Trix so i could take all the store credit, but after some heavy online testing, I decided I didn't like the control matchup and went rogue.  One of my favorite concepts is reanimator (surpassed only be enchantress) and I hadn't heard anything about a reanimator deck in quite awhile.  I came up with my own build for it and here that is. *Note: if you have a cool name for this it would be much appreciated.

Angry Necromancy
by Steven Petersen

Mana (27)
4 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
3 Badlands
3 Swamp
1 Island
2 Volcanic Island
2 Underground Sea
5 Moxen
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring

Fat (6)
1 Visara the Dreadful
1 Arcanis the Omnipotent
1 Nicol Bolas
1 Symbiotic Wurm
1 Phantom Nishoba
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Reanimation (9)
4 Exhume
2 Stitch Together
3 Doomed Necromancer

Discard Effects (8)
1 Entomb
3 Buried Alive
4 Bazaar of Baghdad

Card Draw (3)
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Wheel of Fortune

Graveyard Goodies (7)
4 Squee, Goblin Nabob
3 Anger

Sideboard (15)
4 Red Elemental Blast
3 Smother
1 Urborg Shambler
3 Fire/Ice
1 Withered Wretch
1 Anarchy
2 Llawan, Cephalid Empress

Around 10 people came to the tourney, being a proxy tourney nearly all the decks were fully powered (some forgot).  There would be 4 rounds top 4 as the store is open past the time that will take and Jason likes to give us lots of rounds.

First Round
Chris with Enchantress/Parfait

This is what i considered my worst matchup, but I had a weapon to fight it in Nicol Bolas.  An early Nicol Bolas could be deadly.

Game 1 - Chris doesn't see the anger in my graveyard so Doomed Necomancer eats an StP and bring out visara for the kill.  He didn't draw a great hand, and the  bazaar overwhelmed him with card advantage.

Game 2 - I get anarchy to force through damage and win with 3 7/7 monsters zipping across.  Anger showed its presence here.

Matches 2-0 Games 2-0

Round Two
Darek with UB Mask

This matchup revolves around me playing Visara and keeping Visara out.  Oath of Ghouls ends up being the most important card in this matchup, recurring Necromancers make it hard to keep Visara off the board.

Game 1 - Shade and Dreadnought both get a bite out of my life before i stabilize.  Necromancer saved my ass this game.

Game 2 - This game was rather humorous as i went swamp, lotus, shambler.  He got some beats in.  Smother was my MVP this game.  Shambler > Shade

I actually am having trouble remembering if this went to 3, i suspect it did.  If it did, I apologize to you Darek.

Matches 2-0 Games 4-0 (I think, hope)

Round 3
Stompy!

Wow, I'm playing against stompy.  Go Visara and Akroma!!!

Game 1 - First turn Wild Dogs.  I say Squee, go.  Rancor, Briar Shield my guy.  I play Necromancer, say go.  He swings, i take 4.  I draw crap, say go.  I misput my life counter and took exactly 12 damage when he swings with the Dogs after enchanting it with a second briar shield and rancor.  That's the game.

Game 2 - He tries to overwhelm me, but his hand isn't very good.  Card advantage wins game.  Buried Alive + Bazaar = Amazing card advantage.  I win.

Game 3 - First turn was this.  Play Bazaar, activate, pitch Visara and 2 irrelevant cards.  Ruby, Jet, Exhume, go.  He scooped once I blew away all his creatures, and he had no hand

Matches 3-0 Games 6-1

Round 4
Nick playing Academy

I am currently the only 3-0, Nick is 2-0-1 and wants to play.  Academy seems like a terrible matchup for me unless i get Nicol Bolas beatings in.

Game 1

I put him on a very fast clock, he doesn't go off.

Game 2

I get rolled.

Game 3

Another very quick clock, lots of drama, he stalls and i fire/ice him for the win.  This went to time.

Matches 4-0 Games 8-2

Semifinals
Nick playing Academy

Game 1
2 words: Necromancer beatings.  Anger got in on the action at the end.  Nick could not find any mana to save his life.

Game 2
2 words: I suck.  I tapped the wrong lands, which didn't let Nicol Bolas eat his hand.  I'm terrible, next game.

Game 3
I get Akroma out turn 2.  I walk.  I ancestral.  I counter his timetwister and sneak away with the win.

Games 10-3 Matches 5-0

Finals
Darek, UB mask

He'd beaten the Enchantress/Parfait (funny i beat all my the 4 in swiss) after sideboarding with bad sui (Mask + Dreadnought came out).  It was an interesting tactic.  1st and 2nd get $20 store credit, so we just split.  It's late and I need to get home, but we play one game for fun, a sudden death matchup.  I'd forgotten to unsideboard from my  match against Nick.  It didn't matter though because I got Visara out and an active Bazaar (Bazaar > Library with 3 Squees Razz).  Visara warranted a concession with Arcanis coming down next turn.  A very good choice of decks for my metagame.  Without any Urphid or BSB the deck had no severely weak matchups besides parfait which can be dealt with through careful play.  If you have the cards, the deck is fun, interesting, and challenging to play.
carl
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 05:25:36 am »

Nice report as usual, thank you.

Quote from: waSP+June 07 2003,07:37
Quote (waSP @ June 07 2003,07:37)Reanimation (9)
2 Stitch Together
3 Doomed Necromancer
Why these over Necromancy/Reanimate?
I would understand Necromancer with Oath of Ghouls, but since you don't list them...

Quote Graveyard Goodies (7)
4 Squee, Goblin Nabob
3 Anger
Why 3 Anger? Isn't one enough? You could play the 4th Buried alive and a Krovikan Horror (the ping ability is nice)

Oath of Ghouls ends up being the most important card in this matchup, recurring Necromancers make it hard to keep Visara off the board.
Where are the Oath of Ghouls? I don't see them in your list.

Quote Without any Urphid or BSB the deck had no severely weak matchups besides parfait which can be dealt with through careful play.  If you have the cards, the deck is fun, interesting, and challenging to play.

Don't you think this deck dies to any deck with counters since you have no disruption save Nicol Bolas?
waSP
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 10:48:00 pm »

Hmm, I'm pretty sure i listed it wrong, the deck was in my car, I've disassembled it since then.  I definitely had 2 Oath of Ghouls in there, although they may be moving out of the main.  I probably had 60+ cards too..

Here's my list if i were to ever play it again.

Angry Necromancy
by Steven Petersen

Mana (24)
2 Polluted Delta
4 Blooddstained Mire
4 Badlands
2 Swamp
2 Volcanic Island
2 Underground Sea
5 Moxen
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Crypt

Fat (5)
1 Visara the Dreadful
1 Arcanis the Omnipotent
1 Nicol Bolas
1 Phantom Nishoba
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Reanimation (10)
4 Exhume
2 Stitch Together
4 Doomed Necromancer

Discard Effects (8)
1 Entomb
3 Buried Alive
4 Bazaar of Baghdad

Card Draw (4)
2 Careful Study
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk

Graveyard Goodies (9)
4 Squee, Goblin Nabob
3 Anger
2 Oath of Ghouls

I careful study could be a buried alive, I'll need to test that.  The reason for the 3 Angers as opposed to 1 is the need for your fat to have haste.  I don't want to have to rely on buried alive to win.  With Bazaar i can get a first turn hasty nishoba with some draws.  First turn Visara wrecked stompy, and I'm in a metagame that slays control and has a strong distaste for combo.  Extra Angers get cast (swarms!!!) or discarded to bazaar usually instead of lands, so that isn't a problem.

Against counterspell decks, any fat that resolves is worthwhile.  Oath of Ghouls makes the Necromancers amazing.  Necromancers are there because they are a reanimation spell that can't be duressed (more useful than you'd expect).  Also they can be played before i find the fat.

I decided to take out symbiotic wurm because it is only truly effective against gat, although I rather like it against parfait, if i get visara.  Then i don't scoop to story circle .

When you see lots of mask and lots of sligh, the reanimate start looking pretty bad.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: