TheManaDrain.com
December 04, 2021, 06:26:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: July 24th Pittsfield tournament report from 2nd place 7/10  (Read 2025 times)
Plognark
Basic User

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2004, 09:25:56 am »

I don’t have access to the tournament forum, so I’m hoping the mods can move this there and maybe merge it with the july 24th dual mox Pittsfield tournament.

This was the first serious tournament I’ve ever been to, so I was pretty shocked to get second place, never mind getting into the top eight out of 47 some odd players. I got up way too early on a Saturday and drove up with Sam B. We missed our entrance onto the pike and wound up stuck behind slow bastards on route 20, which meant that we got there at 11:45, just in time to get registered and do my final tuning. On the way up I decided to cut the chalice of the voids for 2 artifact mutation and 2 mox monkeys. I figured that with ten proxies, there would be workshop decks everywhere, so I admit I planned for it. I expected more bloodmoon and rack and ruin, which explains the BeB’s in sideboard instead of ReB’s. Here’s the final list:

Sloppy7/10.dec (last minute name)

7 SoLoMoxen
1 Mana crypt
1 Mana vault
4 Mishra’s workshop
4 Wastelands
3 City of brass
2 gemstone mine
2 glimmervoid
2 ancient tomb
1 Strip mine
1 Tolarian academy
(28)

3 gilded lotus

4 Trinisphere
2 Crucible of Worlds

4 Goblin welder
2 sundering titan
2 gorilla shaman
1 Memnarch
1 Duplicant
1 Triskelion
(48)

4 Thirst for knowledge
1 Memory jar
1 Demonic tutor
1 Vampiric tutor
1 Time walk
1 Ancestral Recall

2 artifact mutation
(59?)

I’m trying to remember what was in that 60th slot, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was…I’ll check when I get home from work and update the list.

Edited in here: The 60th card is Tinker, as pointed out below  Rolling Eyes

Sideboard:
4 Blue elemental blasts (bad call on the meta)
3 tormod’s crypt
2 artifact mutation
2 rack and ruin
1 Pentavus
1 Sundering Titan
1 Platinum Angel
1 Triskelion

Ok, now on to the matches:

Round 1 vs. Chris playing Draw 7

Game 1:
I think I may have won the roll and went first, tossing out a first turn time walk off a mox pearl and gemstone mine. Next turn I dropped a mox monkey off the city of brass I drew, knocking my life to 19. This is important, because he went nuts next turn but stalled his spell count at eight right before doing tendrils for 9, and 18 damage. I’m left at 1. My monkey ate his mox diamond and then pearl, and startd some beatings. I locked him down with trinisphere and crucible and he scooped. I remember tossing out ancestral on turn 2 (well, 3, since I time walked) which gave me a serious advantage.

+1 platinum angel/-1 duplicant

Game 2: I got a platinum angel opening hand, and the stuff to cast it. He mulligans down to 5. I think he dropped a land, then I dropped a land, then he went berserk on his second turn with memory jar into timetwister into….a hand full of crap. He showed it to me, lots of expensive blue spells like diminishing returns, and not a single acceleration card. I dropped an angel and then a trike and beat him down after locking the game with a trinisphere again. I think I DT’d for memnarch to steal his permanents, but there was no need.

Round 2 vs. Doug playing Gro-a-tog

Game 1: He won the coin flip. I was pretty nervous at this point, since I didn’t even expect to win my first round, and I made some mistakes, like trying to do a timewalk with 2 mana under my own trinisphere. I tried to do an early duplicant to hit his psychatog, but he countered it. I did resolve a 7/10 after a while, which held of his tog. Eventually I got welder, swapped duplicant in to remove his tog, and beat him down.

+3 crypt, +1 angel
-1 crucible, -3 something else? My notes fall apart here. I think I may have ditched a gilded lotus and artifact mutation.

Game 2: I was even more nervous now, and I mulligan to 6, draw 7 anyhow like a retard, and have to mulligan to 5. Ouch. We do a lot of draw-go, both of us played crypts to hose the other guy, but eventually a tog hits me berserked for 18 damage, which happened to be my life total.

Game 3: I get an early mox monkey. He counters a welder. A psychatog hits play, and he starts the 1 hit beats. Eventually his graveyard + hand gets big enough to be scary, and I have to block with monkey, and then drop a welder to chump block. I had to sit with no lands for a while (damn no artifact glimmervoid) until I draw black lotus. He nails my lotus with naturalize, and I vamp for a workshop that I would have drawn next turn anyhow. The workshop allows me to power out a gilded lotus. I think I may have crypted him to stall the tog of doom. He countered a titan, but then wasn’t able to stop my platinum angel. He knocks me to 0 life and starts looking for a way to kill the angel. I start beating him, and get a trinisphere, which stalls him. He uses cunning wish to get berserk to kill my angel (he was at 9) but it was a turn to late, and I knock him to 5 before he can berserk it. It was a really tight game, and he was a good sport about the loss, and I appreciate him kind of cheering me on as I ground through the following matches.

Round 3 vs. Crossman playing U/R fish

Game 1:
I forget who went first (I think it was him). I tinkered in an early titan, with 1 mana free to avoid daze. The titan stomps on man land chump blockers, but eventually he runs out and titan beats him down.

+2 artifact mutate ( I fear null rod)
-1 memnarch, -1 duplicant

Game 2:
I mulligan to 6, but it’s still crap. I think he wasted one of my lands, I got a welder out with no artifacts in play. He gets a grim lavamancer, so my welder hits for one before getting fried. I lose to man land beatdown/grim beatings.

Game 3: I got a first turn trinisphere off wasteland/sol ring/manavault. I wasted a mishra’s factory and then strip his volcanic. I drop a crucible and lock his lands down, and he never gets a chance to play as my mox monkey and welder beat him down. I finally tinker in another 7/10 and he scoops.

Round 4 vs. Kent playing Stax

Game 1:
He mulligans to 6, and I get the best hand ever. Mox ruby -> Mox monkey -> workshop -> Manavault -> gilded lotus -> crucible. Next turn I DT for a strip mine and eat a mox, and lock him down. I remember my mox monkey actually ate his crucible, so he never was able to recover. I think he scooped.

+2 artifact mutation. For some reason I didn’t think I needed rack and ruin.
-1 titan, -1 duplicant

Game 2:
I mulligan to 6, thinking I have a great hand, until he drops a trinisphere first turn and stops both of my moxen. Then comes a smoke stack, and eventually I lose to his 7/10 with no permanents in play.

Game 3:
I got out 2 welders and a mox monkey within the first two or three turns. My welders start messing with his stax and tangle wires. It looked like he’d be able to win the permanent race with a stack in play, until I kill a gemstone mine and sack a black lotus to cast an artifact mutation on his stack during my upkeep. I burn for 2, but the saprolings take the hits from the smoke stack and tanglewire, and I’m able to cast stuff.
My monkey eats a big meal again by chomping a tanglewire at one point, and I art. Mutated another stack and eventually win by beating him with 4 surviving saprolings a turn.

Round 5 vs. Sam playing Miracle Gro?

We take a draw, since we’re both a lock into top 8, and I take a break. We play three games casually without SB. I beat him game one by stealing his dryad with memnarch, he stomps me game two, and I rolled him game 3. I manage to find time to get some lunch, so I’m starting to relax a bit (finally)

Round 6 vs. Steve playing….something

After lengthy discussion I concede to him to let him into top 8, since I’m the rank 1 player at that point and there’s pretty much no way I can’t get into top 8. Then someone tells me that I may not make it, but I’m to tired to be really disturbed, and I’m still pretty sure I’m in. I sat around for a bit, not sure if I’m in or out of top 8 until Hale comes over and says we’re playing for top 4 slots.

Finals, round 1, vs. Hale (purple hat) playing Monobrown workshop affinity

Game 1:
He has a stronger start than I, getting out arcbound crusher and genesis chamber, and a frogmite, and hits me pretty hard one round with a cranial plating on the crusher. I realize that I need a miracle, and pray for something…and draw an artifact mutation. He attacks, thinking he’s got me, and I mutate his crusher, and then swap his new 7/7 frogmite for the crusher to stop all attackers. He hadn’t had a single artifact in the graveyard up till that point so my welder couldn’t do much to him. I turned the game around and beat for the win. I remember him saying something like “What?!? Maindeck artifact mutation?!?! What the hell is that!?!?? but he took it well and had a great sense of humor over the whole thing.

+2 artifact mutation, +2 rack and ruin
-1 titan, -1 trinisphere (not too bright, in retrospect), -1 memnarch, -1 thirst

Game 2:
I’ll just say that 17/1 ornithopters win games. I did manage to hit his myr enforcer with my duplicant, but that’s about as impressive as game 2 got from my side. I finally realized that he was playing mono-brown at this point.

+1 pentavus (I need flyers, damnit), -1 duplicant

Game 3:
First turn crucible, second turn wasteland locks him out. I took some hits from my mana crypt, and I shot a wimpy 2/2 crusher with my triskelion. I beat him for 2 for a while, until I got a pentavus into play and he scooped.

Finals, round 2, vs. Dave playing 4cc.
I watched Dave playing another 4cc for top 4 to get some intel on what I might be facing, so for once I knew exactly what I was facing before we even started.

Game 1:
I think I won the die roll. He counters a 1st turn trinisphere, only to have me cast a crucible the next round, powering through a standstill. He has no counters, and I start wasting his lands, and he scoops almost immediately, to my great surprise.

+1 sundering titan, +1 pentavus (flyers are good!)
-1 memnarch, -1 artifact mutation

Game 2:
This game goes almost exactly the same. He counters an early trinisphere, I punch through a standstill with crucible again, he can’t counter it, but seems to want to play it out, until I waste both of his lands. He made a big mistake in going for standstill instead of wasting my workshop, which allowed me to hammer both of his lands. He scoops soon, without either one of us having dealt even one point of damage to each other.

My respect for crucible is huge now.

Top 2, vs. Sam (again) playing Miracle Gro (I think)
We just split, since he wanted the emerald to trade for a jet, and I was going to sell whichever mox I got back to the store.

We played it out anyways; I locked him with crucible/strip first game, followed by a welder and memory jar into two titans. Second game he shut me down with back to basics and beat me with a dryad. Third game he got the best hand I’ve ever seen, with a fast back to basics + null rod. I sat there doing nothing while he beat me down with dryad, again.
Back to basics + null rod = me scooping from now on. I’m going to have to find an answer for those cards. At this point I show him my 4 BeB’s in SB that were completely useless the whole tournament, and we both had a pretty good laugh about it.

Not too bad for my first serious tournament ever, I think I’m still in shock over getting 2nd place. Everyone seems to do a props/slops section in their reports at the end, so here’s mine:

Props:
Sam B. for keeping me awake on the drive home, getting me to run with the monkeys/mutations over chalice, and trading me a null rod.
Everyone else at T&T collectibles for being nice, friendly, and completely non-cutthroat.
The owner of T&T collectibles for buying back a mox ruby that he really didn’t want.
CoW for winning me 6 matches alone.
The little deli across the street for making me a damn good turkey grinder fast enough for me to eat it between matches.

Slops:
The state of Connecticut, because the f***ing gas tax is way more here than it is in Mass.
BeB, because damnit, you were a useless to me, and I wish you were red.
Back to basics and null rod. That’s just dirty.

Monogreen Beatdown 4evar
Purple Hat
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 09:54:37 am »

Sam B. for keeping me awake on the drive home, getting me to run with the monkeys/mutations over chalice, and trading me a null rod.

Damn it sam!!!:lol:

I’ll just say that 17/1 ornithopters win games

I just wanted to makesure everyone saw that I hit him with a 17/1 ornithopter cus that was the coolest thing I did all day. :lol:

Congrats on the big win man.

Hale

"it's brainstorm...how can you not play brainstorm?  You've cast that card right?  and it resolved?" -Pat Chapin

Just moved - Looking for players/groups in North Jersey to sling some cardboard.
Sextiger
Basic User

My nickname was born for these days

Sextiger187
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 11:30:38 am »

Great job on your success at the tourney.  I felt your pain when you were playing Dryad Hate, his hands were completely unbelievable. The card missing from your list is Tinker, no doubt about it.

"After these years of arguing I've conceded that Merchant Scroll in particular can be an exception to this rule because it is a card that you NEVER want to see in multiples, under any circumstances. Merchant Scroll can be seen as restricted in a way because should you have 2 in a hand, only one is really useful (that is, only one can get Ancestral)."
Plognark
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 11:47:10 am »

The card missing from your list is Tinker, no doubt about it.

D'OH!  Rolling Eyes

Yep, that's it.

That dryad deck was excellent. I think he was the only one running back to basics, and it just seems like it ruined everyone he played. Pre-sideboard i've got the edge, post sideboard I estimate that he's got an 80% win advantage against me. Neutral

Monogreen Beatdown 4evar
wuaffiliate
Basic User

Team Reflection

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 12:30:22 pm »

How did you like the wastelands?
Did you miss Chalices maindeck?

Congrats on the high finnish. I'm glad some people are finally using wasteland in the Titan archtype.
Plognark
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 02:20:49 pm »

To be honest, I didn't miss the chalice for even a second. The inclusion of two mox monkeys is so much more disruption than the chalice, and with the amount of mana the deck can generate (gilded lotus is great; glad I ran with them over metalworkers) the monkeys can eat some surprisingly high cost artifacts.

One trick that I did manage to pull on friday in a local tournament, but never got off in Pittsfield, is to throw down a titan, smash some lands, and then immediately hit him with artifact mutation. He leaves play, possibly crushing more lands, and I get a swarm of 8 1/1 critters. In the friday local game I weldd the titan back in and did it twice since my opponent had 2 blockers and was at 13 life. He had to dig through 14 cards with his memory jar to find a powder keg just to stay alive. After that I welded titan back in for the win.

The crucible strip combo is key for this deck, as it gives you early disruption and makes the land/mana hate more intense than any other deck i've ever played. Crucible + strips can win games by themselves, nevermind having to counter a 7/10 monster that's going to ruin your manabase. There are so many "must counter" cards in this deck that I don't even miss not having counter.

Also, titan can't touch a workshop or factory, or other man-land....wastelands can.

Monogreen Beatdown 4evar
Purple Hat
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 02:42:22 pm »

Also, titan can't touch a workshop or factory, or other man-land....wastelands can

I also seem to recall artifact mutation working well on factories for you.  not that it helped you that game...ORNITHOPTERS 4L.  :lol:

"it's brainstorm...how can you not play brainstorm?  You've cast that card right?  and it resolved?" -Pat Chapin

Just moved - Looking for players/groups in North Jersey to sling some cardboard.
Plognark
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 05:30:24 pm »

I also seem to recall artifact mutation working well on factories for you. not that it helped you that game...ORNITHOPTERS 4L.  :lol:

You know, that was actually a bonehead move on my part....you already had a crucible in play, I was trying to stall. If I had been a bit more alert I would have taken the hit and waited for you to equip the platings onto something else and pegged that with the mutation.

Not that it would have helped much. I didn't have a single flyer in my deck game 2, and a mutation on an ornithopter doesn't get me any saproling chump blockers.  Rolling Eyes

Ornithopter as primary kill card....who'd have thought  Wink

Monogreen Beatdown 4evar
Purple Hat
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 09:17:11 pm »

Yeah, I got awefully broken in an aweful hurry that game...a lot like game three on your side as I recall.  Smile  What was that like a turn 4 kill or something in game two?  When my only beater is an ornithopter I think I'll take that. Twisted Evil

ok, I'm clearly too tired and having way too much fun with the smilies.

Hale

TrixR4Kidz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 12:59:59 am »

I saw that game, it was so funny, congrats on the good finish both of you, nice deck hale, ornithopter is a beast.

2004 Mana Drain Open Champion

Team Savage Tech - Winning power under the radar like it's outta style
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: