TheManaDrain.com
July 08, 2020, 05:54:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MaRo on 'You Make The Set'  (Read 3602 times)
Bram
Adepts
Basic User

I've got mushroom clouds in my hands

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 07:09:00 am »

Todays magicthegathering.com's Q&A:

Q: "Would R&D ever consider asking players to make a set by themselves? Not a block or anything, just 1 set. I know it would take like 5 years for the best cards and to be de-broke-n-ized but don't you think it could be fun?"
--Jared

A: From Mark Rosewater, Magic Head Designer:

"Jared,

"There are a number of problems with You Make the Set. The biggest is that set design requires a strong amount of interaction between the cards. There's no easy way to do this when each card is being designed by a different person. Add to this the logistical issues, the enormous amount of man hours, and the problem that the 'designers' of the set don't know anything about the sets that will come out before and after it, and we have a recipe for disaster. That said, we are planning to continue doing You Make the Card (in fact, You Make the Card #3 is just around the corner.) but I wouldn't hold out much hope for You Make the Set. Sorry."

Little does he know....muhahaaa! BHAHAHAHAHAAAA! *cough cough*
Well, we've got the interaction and the manhours down. He's got a point regarding the lack of knowledge about upcoming sets. Maybe we need a guy on the inside. Any takers?

<j_orlove> I am semi-religious
<BR4M> I like that. which half of god do you believe in?
<j_orlove> the half that tells me how to live my life
<j_orlove> but not the half that tells me how others should live theirs

R.I.P. Rudy van Soest a.k.a. MoreFling
combo_dude
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 09:26:06 am »

Unfortunately, any guy "on the inside" would probably be breaching his contract in telling us anything. Sad

I'm not sure if it matters, with cards like our set, as we don't have to have everything sorted out in advance - we can easily tweak cards, even those added to the master list. We just accept that the power level of this set is going to be well beyond most of the stuff that's in Standard at a given point (Ravager and friends aside), and go from there - it's more a stand-alone thing.

Quote from: Toad
The thing you are typing on is a keyboard, not a cellular phone.
dandan
More Vintage than Adept
Full Members
Basic User

More Vintage than Adept

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 03:54:56 am »

Don't look now but MaRo just answered a question about poison, saying it is likely to come back in the future. Coincidence? You decide.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that someone from Wizards looks in on our forum pretty often (I sure as hell would if I worked there, which I don't seeing as Wizards have very few employees in deepest Slovakia).

Playing bad cards since 1995
Bram
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 04:53:06 am »

Q: "Has R&D ever considered bringing back the poison mechanic?"
-- JJ, Kirkland, Washington

A: From Mark Rosewater, Magic Head Designer:

"JJ,

"Yes, we have. And I believe (and remember I'm the guy in charge of Magic design) that one day we will bring it back. Not in the immediate future, but some day. If you are patient, you will be rewarded."

Is it a coincidence that these two questions literally followed eachother up? This is so cool Smile

dandan
More Vintage than Adept
Full Members
Basic User

More Vintage than Adept

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 07:08:59 am »

Since when have you been called JJ from Kirkland, Washington Bram?

Honestly, MaRo will start feeling manipulated if you keep submitting such thinly-veiled references to the card creation forum. I'll be very suspicious is tomorrow's question asks about the possibilty of an Aztec setting.

Bram
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 08:44:48 am »

ROFL!

If that's the case, it's be by far the coolest thing I've ever seen.

[EDIT]
Q: "Does R&D have to take Magic Online into account when designing cards now?"
-- Tom, Madison, USA

Shoot.

Bram
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 02:51:26 am »

Erm....look what I found, guys. I was prompted by today's Q&A where someone asked if they would ever do Aztec mythology (just kidding....they asked if wizards would ever do Norse mythology). The writer said MaRo had touched on that subject in a recent article. Naturally, I wanted to read said article and typed the word 'norse' in the article search bar. After some mucking about with Norse Runes, this came up. It's an excerpt from an article on the conception of the Kamigawa block.

The team's first assignment was to figure out what real world source to use as inspiration. And so they looked at every Earth based mythology they could think of. Different worlds were rejected for different reasons. Some (like Greek and Roman) seemed too similar to standard Magic fare. Others (such as Arabian, Norse, and certain African mythologies) were ruled out as we had done sets in the past that already touched upon the culture. A third grouping (such as Native American and Incan) proved to be a little too distant from some of the needs of a basic Magic set such as the ability to use some staple races. In the end, the winner was Japan.

Basically he's saying we can't have elves and goblins in our set Smile It's so cool how Wizards really HAS thought of everything. This only make me more determined.

dandan
More Vintage than Adept
Full Members
Basic User

More Vintage than Adept

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 03:59:59 am »

Actually I believe that MaRo actually implied that it is perfectly acceptable to use a real world setting for a Magic set but at first glance central/south American settings were ruled out as they didn't seem to offer enough for a basic set. However if we show that this is not the case an Aztec setting is a viable choice.

Note how Maro actually answered my question above but disguised it by spelliing Aztec as N-O-R-S-E so we wouldn't get suspicious.

Jacob Orlove
Official Time Traveller of TMD
Administrator
Basic User

When am I?

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 12:05:54 pm »

This week's article on Kamigawan flavor design coming together said that they didn't use Aztec or a few others because they're so obscure that they lose the real world connection that they wanted for the block following Mirrodin.

Since that isn't an issue for us, we should be in the clear.

Next week, I'll try to get some work done on the Atlantis idea, though.

Team Meandeck: O Lord,
Guard my tongue from evil and my lips from speaking guile.
To those who slander me, let me give no heed.
May my soul be humble and forgiving to all.
goober
Basic User

Goobady
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 02:59:35 am »

Top Ten List #3 - The Top Ten Mechanics I Most Want To See Come Back
2) Poison
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Someday it will return. I promise.

Thats from MaRo today.

Team Grosse Manschaft
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: