TheManaDrain.com
July 05, 2020, 08:22:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The pack mechanic  (Read 3502 times)
MrZuccinniHead
Basic User

ShepherdOfSharks
View Profile
« on: August 04, 2005, 02:36:29 am »

I love this mechanic and I have TONS of ideas for cards to build, but I think we need to iron something out before more cards are made.

What creature types in what colors should get pack mechanics?  I already saw that beasts are one and I figured that insects would be another good choice, but that's it...I think we should limit each color to two packs to focus on.  I also thought that it would be cool to use lesser used creature types...no elves, wizards, goblins, clerics, zombies.  I also thoguht that maybe we shouldn't "bleed" the creatures like in Onslaught block...ala red and green both getting beasts.

Some suggestions:
Blue - Birds and Fish
Green - Beasts and Insects
Red - Barbarians and Dwarves
White - Knights and soldiers (might be too common...maybe cats or foxes or elephants like the Leonin/Kitsune/Loxodon)
Black - Rats and Thrulls? (just an idea...not many black creatures that work in packs besides insects and i used that in green.)

I think we should decide this right now, or else we will have to edit things in the future.  This mechanic is great and really opens up a lot of card ideas.

Scopeless on mIRC

Quote from: Hi-Val talking about a girl covering herself with chrome moxen
I'd like to imprint My Cock on that. If she handles it right, it makes white mana.
Ephraim
Basic User

The Casual Adept

LordZakath
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 07:13:12 am »

I hadn't really intended on limiting the mechanic to just a handful of creature types. Rather, I was going to spread it as broadly as possible. If any given creature type only has three or fewer cards with the pack mechanic, then it becomes necessary to select additional creatures of that type to flesh out the deck. Rather than providing enough creatures of each type so that deck builders can easily build a pack-creature-only deck, I want to force deck builders to determine which non-pack creatures are best suited to the deck they want to build.

Also, I officially want to change the nature of the pack mechanic to follow Jacob Orlove's suggestion.
Pack X -- Y is a static ability meaning "If you control X or more creatures that share a creature type with this creature, then Y."
That means that each creature now counts itself. Adjust numbers upward accordingly.

Did you know that Red is the color or art and music and passion? Combine that with Green, the color of nature, spiritualism, and community and you get a hippie commune of drum circles, dreamcatchers, and recreational drug use. Let's see that win a Pro Tour.
MrZuccinniHead
Basic User

ShepherdOfSharks
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 10:57:09 am »

I hadn't really intended on limiting the mechanic to just a handful of creature types. Rather, I was going to spread it as broadly as possible. If any given creature type only has three or fewer cards with the pack mechanic, then it becomes necessary to select additional creatures of that type to flesh out the deck. Rather than providing enough creatures of each type so that deck builders can easily build a pack-creature-only deck, I want to force deck builders to determine which non-pack creatures are best suited to the deck they want to build.

Also, I officially want to change the nature of the pack mechanic to follow Jacob Orlove's suggestion.
Pack X -- Y is a static ability meaning "If you control X or more creatures that share a creature type with this creature, then Y."
That means that each creature now counts itself. Adjust numbers upward accordingly.

first question, so every pack creature i have made so far should have abilities of one level higher now?

second question, so you'd rather just spew out a bunch of pack creatures and change the creature type later to make the "set" more streamlined?

Scopeless on mIRC

Quote from: Hi-Val talking about a girl covering herself with chrome moxen
I'd like to imprint My Cock on that. If she handles it right, it makes white mana.
Ephraim
Basic User

The Casual Adept

LordZakath
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 07:51:43 pm »

In response to your first question, yes, each pack creature, if created with an accurate understanding of the way the rule was initially written, should now have a pack number one higher.

In response to your second question, no, I do not want to create a bunch of typeless creatures to be given creature types later. I want to conscientiously creature creatures with types now, but take care not to create too many creatures of any one type that have the pack mechanic.

Did you know that Red is the color or art and music and passion? Combine that with Green, the color of nature, spiritualism, and community and you get a hippie commune of drum circles, dreamcatchers, and recreational drug use. Let's see that win a Pro Tour.
asmoranomardicodais
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 12:39:20 am »

Has anyone thought of a name for the pack mechanic rather than "Pack"? We need a finalized keyword mechanic, so people can stop saying "Knights don't travel in packs", etc.
Ephraim
Basic User

The Casual Adept

LordZakath
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 01:10:18 am »

I fully intended to keep it as "Pack." It doesn't even matter that Knights don't travel in packs because the mechanic is fundamentally incompatible with creatures that require a race/class distinction. Wizards doesn't make just Knights anymore. They make Elf Knights and Human Knights and Elephant Knights. Unfortunately, there is no simple and elegant way of patterning the Pack mechanic to ignore that cumbersome race creature type. Thus, a Human Knight with Pack counts both Humans and Knights. This is a problem, because the flavour of the mechanic almost inherrantly yields creatures that focus on one creature type. It is sensible that a collection of Knights should give your creatures first strike, but it is not sensible that a Human Knight with Pack should give your creatures first strike when backed up by Lumengrid Warden and Humble Budoka. For flavour reasons, therefore, the "style guide" on Pack requires that it be given only to nonsentient animals (ie: creatures that are going to have just one meaningful creature type) that can reasonably be expected to benefit from grouping.

asmoranomardicodais
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 03:06:27 pm »

I understand that about pack, and I also realize that we can only pack things that make sense for packs. I personally just do not like the name "Pack" of the mechanbic, and I would prefer we find a name that sounds more finalized.
Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 11:17:29 am »

OK I put

as the official wording in the master list.

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: