TheManaDrain.com
December 11, 2019, 11:26:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: StarCity Richmond Legacy decklists  (Read 3057 times)
Luiggi
Full Members
Basic User

Fear me, if you dare.

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2005, 11:02:53 am »

Check 'em out: http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t%5BC1%5D=leg&start_date=2005-09-18&end_date=2005-10-02&city=richmond)http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t%5BC1%5D=leg&start_date=2005-09-18&end_date=2005-10-02&city=richmond.

Top-8 was:

1st: Vial Goblins (Black Splash)
2nd: U/W Fish
3rd: R/G Survival Advantage
4th: Solidarity
5th: R/G Survival Advantage
6th: Vial Goblins (Mono-Red)
7th: Rabid Wombat (MWC)
8th: Reanimator

There seemed to be a pretty good variety of decks in the tournament. I'm sort of puzzled by the two R/G Survival decks in the top-8, which I guess means people just weren't packing those Pithing Needles, though R/G is a lot better than other Survival builds when it doesn't actually draw Survival. Baloth/FTK/Ascetic+SoFI is some pretty good beats, Wink.

Some other noteworthy decks:

14th: "Flush" (B/W discard)
15th: Belcher (with Living Wish)
16th: The Game

Other thoughts on the metagame and top-finishing decks?

Luiggi

Quote from: Dxfiler
"I saw endless fields of workshops... They were harvesting fish, using them as batteries. [...] If Workshops are the machines and Fish are the humans, G/R Beats is Neo, Razz."
Bardo
Full Members
Basic User

Res Ipsa Loquitur

ibycus39
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 11:26:24 am »

With 6 Blue Blasts, Galina's Knights, MoR, and StP, I'm surprised U/W Fish lost to Goblins.

[card]Possessed Aven[/card] in #25. :eyebrow:

19 Snow-covered Plain's in Brownie's deck Smile (#7)

Super Grow in 41st Place. Sad  [card]Predict[/card] prominently displayed. It's a very hard deck to play well, I imagine he was new to it. Wink

And another in 44th Place. Sad Looks like they were friends, given the similarity of lists.

Last place: Sui Black.  Very Happy

Quote from: Bokonon, Cat's Cradle (Vonnegut)
History: read it an weep.

(shit, 400th post...)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:29:03 am by bardo_trout » Logged

noitcelfeRmaeT||TeamReflection - .gniyd ysub si ,nrob gnieb ysub ton eH
:nraw ot sevorp ,sdrow detsaw syalp nroh wolloh ehT
BradWayne
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 11:29:42 am »

With 6 Blue Blasts, Galina's Knights, MoR, and StP, I'm surprised U/W Fish lost to Goblins.

I didn't see game one, but I know in game two he didn't see any blue sources. Kind of hard to cast anything on that list minus stp w/o islands.  Wink

Team Chewy Nips - Cleveland, Ohio
Bardo
Full Members
Basic User

Res Ipsa Loquitur

ibycus39
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:33:51 am »

I didn't see game one, but I know in game two he didn't see any blue sources. Kind of hard to cast anything on that list minus stp w/o islands. Wink
Good point, he only had 10 blue sources to his 19 blue spells. I'm rather surprised he got has far as he did. Vial helps some, but not when you need to Brainstorm, cast Standstill, or BEB a Lackey, etc.

Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 11:51:13 am »

I have an article I'm cooking up (about 40-50% done) that goes through the lists, pointing out significant metagame factors, lack of key cards, how to build your decks to take advantage of the metagame factors, and interesting decks/choices.

Highlights:
For the love of god, please build Goblins correctly!
A sneak peak at the Landstill sucks discussion
Avoid a creature-deck for the time being
Flame Fusillade and Pithing Needle
Archetype breakdown and placing

Probably I'll look at which hate cards were effective and which weren't.  Example: RGSA with Burning Wish and 8 Red Blasts lost to High Tide in the T8.  RGSA with sideboarded Chalices won in round 3 (I think).

Magic Level 3 Judge
Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
Luiggi
Full Members
Basic User

Fear me, if you dare.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 01:15:33 pm »

Awesome! Look forward to reading it. Quick question: if Landstill sucks, and we shouldn't run creature decks, will you be arguing that combo is the best choice?

Luiggi

"I saw endless fields of workshops... They were harvesting fish, using them as batteries. [...] If Workshops are the machines and Fish are the humans, G/R Beats is Neo, Razz."
Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 01:18:37 pm »

Or possibly some other control deck!

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 12:41:31 pm »

I'll touch on the combo-control hybrids as best I can, mostly centering on Flame Fault.  There is Veggies's list, Smmenen has a Stax list, and I have a Gifts build, all using Flame Fusillade + Time Vault.  It's, as BrassMan said, "The best 2 card combo ever."  (Or it might have been Outlaw).

Magic Level 3 Judge
Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
Luiggi
Full Members
Basic User

Fear me, if you dare.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 03:10:47 pm »

I'm sure it's fine, but is it living up to the hype? Also, do you think it'll have a significant presence at GP Philly, due to the prohibitive cost of Time Vaults and their scarcity?

I guess you might be addressing these questions in your article, though, Wink.

Luiggi

Bardo
Full Members
Basic User

Res Ipsa Loquitur

ibycus39
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 11:41:00 am »

Quote from: Luiggi
Also, do you think it'll have a significant presence at GP Philly, due to the prohibitive cost of Time Vaults and their scarcity?
I can't see any way that it can. In a 0-proxy environment, I can't see how more than 5 people will be playing it.

Does anyone think I'm wrong about this?

KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 12:12:14 pm »

If it does well at Philly, they will have succeeded in getting a card banned in Legacy.  As the high price of Vault will get it the Mask treatment and banning due to budget concerns.  At least it better be or they should unban Mask.

If it does not do well, meh, it'll just be another deck, just more expensive than most of the field.

Share your passion for the Art of Magic the Gathering!

www.originalmagicart.com
cosineme
Basic User

bigmeateaters
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 12:22:25 pm »

Quote from: Luiggi
Also, do you think it'll have a significant presence at GP Philly, due to the prohibitive cost of Time Vaults and their scarcity?
I can't see any way that it can. In a 0-proxy environment, I can't see how more than 5 people will be playing it.

Does anyone think I'm wrong about this?

If the deck steamrolls everything, the # of people that are playing it isn't that important. Plus, if it is determined before the GP that this is the deck to play, more than 5 will be playing it. I would assume many of the power'd teams are capable of providing these cards, as well as the necessary capital to purchase them. I'm buying them now, but the prices are already inflated. I do hope they restrict this before it becomes a problem.

Just moved from Ann Arbor to Chicago. Even had a chance to play a bit with some of the famed Ann Arbor players.

Help me find a magic store in downtown Chicago

AKA effang
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: