TheManaDrain.com
August 23, 2019, 04:45:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Preliminary Statistics Results  (Read 2575 times)
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« on: October 25, 2005, 12:03:07 pm »

First off, here is the information I'm tracking:
I have GPT and bigger sized events (Richmond, GenCon, BigArse for now) sorted by time ang organized with location and number of players, with the full listing of T8s.  I have the total performance by deck and archetype, with number of T8s, placing, and number of wins.  I have that same information broken down by month, and I have card count by month in total and divided by the number of decks to see the average number of a card per T8 and per T8 deck.

Archetypes:
Landstill
Other Control
Survival decks
Combo
Aggro-Control
Aggo

Some of the distinctions are weird.  Since I don't have decklists for every deck, sometimes I don't know whether a WW deck is Wayfarer, Angel or some other build, but because the primary strategy seems to be aggro, that's where they're listed.  Similarly, RDW is probably aggro-control, but because of the difficulty in sorting between Sligh and RDW when I don't have the list, they're all sorted in aggro, and thsoe categories will collapse when I publish results.

Preliminary Results:
Decks that took home the blue envelope (won the tournament):
Survival (1):
GWR Survival (1)

Combo (3):
Gamekeeper Salvagers (1)
Reset High Tide (1)
Enchantress (1)

Aggro-Control (3):
UWG Threshold (2)
CounterSliver (1)

Aggro (5):
Burn (1)
Vial Goblins (4)

12 T8s
Decks with 5 or more T8s: 8 UW Landstill, 5 RGSA, 8 Reset High Tide, 25 Vial Goblins
Plague was actually in 2 sideboards of a tournament, but that tournament had 2 Vial Goblin decks in the T8 anyway. They didn't have good search though, but that's only 11 plagues total in 12 T8s
Goblins have taken over 25% of T8s and 1/3 of #1 finishes
Pyrocloasm is good: Aggro decks compose nearly 45% of the T8s, and combined with aggro-control is 56%. When you add decks like RGSA that die to Pyroclasm it gets even better
Combo is imporivng, but Reset High Tide has only taken 8 slots. combo in total is only 15
By a wide margin, Mountain is played more than any other card. Beyond basic lands, Wasteland is the #1 most played card with StP probably at #2

Edit: added in win numbers
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 03:15:21 pm by Anusien » Logged

Magic Level 3 Judge
Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
Skink_123
Basic User

Skink_123@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:19:06 pm »

I am going to start playing with Snow Covered Mountains! To break the trend ;D

Nice Job Anusien

√ėystein

Add artifact lands in your colour to your deck if you are running enlightened tutor ;D
Bardo
Full Members
Basic User

Res Ipsa Loquitur

ibycus39
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 01:01:41 pm »

The state of the metagame reminds me of a retarded donkey I once met in Pennsylvania farm country... Poor guy.

'No big surprises here: Goblins is the best deck in the format and pure control is ass. More than anything combo suffers from bad pilots, not so much bad design -- but that's personal conjecture.

Pyroclasm is only good until Goblins starts maindecking 4 Goblins Kings -- which may or may not be a good idea (my hunch tells me it's a pretty bad idea).

It also seems that Landstill has a really hard time taking 1st place, though it can navigate through the Swiss rounds reasonably enough.

Nice work Kevin. Smile

noitcelfeRmaeT||TeamReflection - .gniyd ysub si ,nrob gnieb ysub ton eH
:nraw ot sevorp ,sdrow detsaw syalp nroh wolloh ehT
Tash
Basic User

Legacy-Aholic

Tashson
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 02:53:49 pm »

Only 2 combo decks won?

That's a disappointment.

I did my part for the combo players though.

Also, if you want more help Anusien with breakdowns of numbers and all, you could ship some over to me. I love this format, and have spare time to kill.

I think the most surreal thing is when a complete stranger you meet at a tournament hears your name and goes "Oh, yeah. I've read your stuff." It's kind of weird, yet feels good all at the same time.
Pancakes
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 01:00:41 am »

I should point out that Enchantress is more accurately labeled Control-Combo. Given that the Control-Combo arche-type seems to have developed a fan club of late I don't see why it shouldn't be a category.

Kai, "Do you vant to concede now? Or vait until you get home?"

You, "I think I'll tap seven and play Mythic Proportions on my Cloudscraper. I'll attack for 21!"

Kai, "I...I...I am defeated!"
Machinus
Keldon Ancient
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 01:11:30 am »

This looks really good. I hope to get around to the new thread in the Tournament forum very soon; that should help with making sense of this data as well as archetype naming.

T1: Arsenal
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 09:18:10 am »

I should point out that Enchantress is more accurately labeled Control-Combo. Given that the Control-Combo arche-type seems to have developed a fan club of late I don't see why it shouldn't be a category.
Creating a new archetype for one deck is fairly pointless.  Considering it seems to fall into the "beat aggro but lose to control" category, it fits with control.  Similarly, I'd call my Gifts list Control, Stax Vault Control, and Veggie's list Combo.  It's about the gameplan.

The main issue Machinus is that people who write the Tournament Reports need to either post lists or agree to a consistent naming scheme.  Otherwise, I'm limited by that data.

Magic Level 3 Judge

Pancakes
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 09:50:39 am »

Creating a new archetype for one deck is fairly pointless.

But it's not for one deck; that's the point. Flame-Vault, Trix, Tog, and some builds of Aluren and Reanimator all theoretically fit into the category.

"Considering it seems to fall into the "beat aggro but lose to control" category, it fits with control."¬ 

Not to nick pits, but control is supposed to lose to aggro and beat combo. Theoretically. As an arche-type generalization, it's not possible that it loses to itself.

Similarly, I'd call my Gifts list Control, Stax Vault Control, and Veggie's list Combo.¬  It's about the gameplan.

And I'm telling you, the game plan is a mix between control and combo. Against other control decks, it's a slower combo deck, not a control deck. It also uses a combo finish, which is different than straight up control.

You, "I think I'll tap seven and play Mythic Proportions on my Cloudscraper. I'll attack for 21!"

Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 12:46:12 pm »

Creating a new archetype for one deck is fairly pointless.

But it's not for one deck; that's the point. Flame-Vault, Trix, Tog, and some builds of Aluren and Reanimator all theoretically fit into the category.

"Considering it seems to fall into the "beat aggro but lose to control" category, it fits with control."

Not to nick pits, but control is supposed to lose to aggro and beat combo. Theoretically. As an arche-type generalization, it's not possible that it loses to itself.

Similarly, I'd call my Gifts list Control, Stax Vault Control, and Veggie's list Combo.  It's about the gameplan.

And I'm telling you, the game plan is a mix between control and combo. Against other control decks, it's a slower combo deck, not a control deck. It also uses a combo finish, which is different than straight up control.
I meant to say combo.  Calling something a slower combo deck is still calling it a combo deck.  You don't call TPS a combo-control deck even though it has FoW and possibly Duress.  It has a specific game plan and a specific way to finish, it's mostly non-interactive, and it has typical combo matchups.

Edit to not be a dumbass.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 12:51:13 pm by Anusien » Logged

Magic Level 3 Judge

Pancakes
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 02:07:12 pm »

Then why is it labeled "non-Landstill control"?

Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 03:14:29 pm »

I changed that on my spreadsheet.  Let me fix it here.

Magic Level 3 Judge

Pancakes
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 08:51:10 pm »

So this asks the question, "is it control that's dead, not combo?"

Jacob Orlove
Official Time Traveller of TMD
Administrator
Basic User

When am I?

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 08:54:47 pm »

So this asks the question, "is it control that's dead, not combo?"
I've been saying that Landstill is dead for a month now.

Team Meandeck: O Lord,
Guard my tongue from evil and my lips from speaking guile.
To those who slander me, let me give no heed.
May my soul be humble and forgiving to all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: