TheManaDrain.com
July 17, 2019, 11:37:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Report] Bazaar of Baghdad in Phoenix, AZ *1st*  (Read 2756 times)
Aaron
Basic User

intelli78
View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2005, 05:00:28 am »

Today was the day of a completely awesome tournament – No, it had nothing to do with StarCity Games and their pretentious east coast tournament. Hell no. It was all about ManaWerx's Type I tourney for a Bazaar of Baghdad in Phoenix, Arizona. Originally, we (the Tucsonans) had planned to bring 5-6 people, but as it turned out, half our crew was either too busy a) playing World of Warcraft, b) sleeping, or c) getting crunk-juiced to come play Type I. Whatever, guys. Call me when you wake up.

So this morning, only three remained - Miklos with 5C Dragon, John with 5C Welder Stax, and me, Aaron, with Meandeck Gifts. We met at a Waffle House next to I-10, of course a good 30 minutes behind schedule. While I waited for John and Miklos to show up, I ate a pecan waffle. It was secret tech that kept me refueled the rest of the day. It was also tasty.

Eventually my teammates arrived and we embarked on the two hour journey to Phoenix. I have no idea what happened in the car, because the topic of conversation ended up on something really sick. I believe it stemmed from Miklos recalling a medical show he had seen on TV. I'll give you three hints. It's about something that causes bread to rise. But in this case, it's infected. And it's not in bread. Aside from this foray into the weird, the rest of the trip was much better when John realized using cruise control is kind of like a video game. This got us to ManaWerx in short order, 30 minutes before the tournament started.

As it ended up, the turnout was rather sub par, with only 12 players in attendance. That's what you get for living in Arizona. The employee took our money, and checked our decks. I had no problem with this, until I realized the guy was going to be playing in the tournament. Frown. That's not cool.

Round 1 – Steven with 2 Land Belcher

Game 1 involved several early Duresses on his part, some mana, and finally DeCon for Goblin Charbelcher. I had to play catch up due to all my gas being Duressed away, and Charbelcher resolved. However, the DeCon went deep and left him with only 14 cards in his library, while I was at 15 life. Score. After putting me at 1, he scooped. I didn't quite understand why he didn't try to kill me next turn, but I would have bounced the Belcher anyway so it didn't really matter.

The next game was much more lopsided, with me Draining and FoWing everything he played. Eventually a Colossus swung two times to secure the victory.

1-0

Round 2 – John with 5C Stax

This round was very unfortunate, as I had to play my teammate John, but what can you expect in a 12 man tournament? In Game 1, I had two early FoW for a Crucible and something else, however that was the end of my luck. Stax did its thing and I scooped after a Smokestack started wrecking my few remaining lands.

The next game is somewhat fuzzy in my memory, but I know John kept a conditional hand and didn't draw what he wanted. I Drained his stuff and Tinkered up DSC at some point which prompted him to scoop.

Game 3 was without a doubt, the marathon game of the entire tournament. It was incredibly swingy on both sides and drew just about the biggest crowd there could be. Also, we were sitting right next to a window and people outside were watching intently – Like we were in a TV. Very Happy Finally I was able to fetch Colossus with no counters in hand, fearing a Duplicant from his side, but he didn't draw one. Feeling victorious, I sent him from 19 to 8. Then, he drew Maze of Ith.

Sad face.

I would have kept DSC onboard and waited to fetch up a Pithing Needle to fix the situation, but there was an active Smokestack so I shuffled him back in. At this point there were only about 10 minutes left in the round, and the judge asked me to play faster after a 3 minute turn pondering how to end the game as soon as possible. Somewhere around this time John took a pain from one of his Cities, putting him at 7 while I was at 11, and I Echoing Truthed a Chalice. Time was called on my turn, so I finished, and he took Turn 1. On Turn two, I had four cards in hand, and a lot of mana. I played Lotus, Mana Crypt, Annuled my own Mana Crypt for good measure, then Burning Wished for Tendrils and won the game. Playing a teammate is not a good thing, but this round definitely psyched out a lot of Phoenicians who realized just how much more badass Tucsonans are.

2-0

Round 3 – Chris with Gifts Oath

Chris was the aforementioned employee who had already had a good look through my entire deck before the tournament. That was slightly irritating to me, but whatever. Come and get me! I'VE GOT LANDS!!!! AND A CREATURE!!!!!!!

Game 1 I didn't know what he was playing, so I fetched basics early on. However, a turn 1 Tropical Island followed by a Mystical for Tinker made me realize he must have Gifts Oath. Good. Bring it. He tried to be the beatdown, Tinkering next turn. Sadly for him, I had double counters. After this, his hand was pretty small and I controlled his ass, drawing half my deck and eventually killing him with DSC.

Games 2 and 3 were very sad for me. They both involved turn 1 or 2 Tinkers by him with plenty of countermagic to back it up. I didn't draw any bounce, so I had to accept these losses. Oh well. It happens.

2-1

Round 4 – Miklos with 5C Dragon

Around this time I was pretty pissed, as playing my other remaining teammate was definitely not what I wanted, but a draw was not an option so we shuffled up.

Game 1 was short and brutal, as he didn't get any gas, and I did, ending the game after about 5 minutes with DSC.

Game 2 was looking pretty good for me, but I ended up with one counter in hand at some point. He Animated, I countered, he Necromancied in response. GG.

The final game, I actually drew the cards I sideboarded in, an unusual streak for me. An early Tormod's Crypt and Pithing Needle on Bazaar slowed him down, and I killed him somehow. Sorry Miki. Sad

Final record 3-1, third place or something like that

Top 4 – Mike with TPS

I don't fear TPS, in fact I believe it is quite inferior to Meandeck Gifts. Game 1 he Duressed a bunch, but I Merchant Scrolled for FoW several times, and sculpted my hand while he remained at about 3 cards in hand. His final turn took a long time, and then he Duressed me. I revealed a hand of FoW, FoW, FoW, Mana Drain, Misdirection, Misdirection, Brainstorm. Take that, TPS. He killed my Mana Drain, and then Mind's Desired for 5. If he hit a black source, it would have been game, as I was at 7 life from a bad Mana Crypt, and he had Tendrils in hand. With this in mind, I used all three FoW's to reduce his Mind's Desire to 2, and he drew nothing to save him.

In between this time, some random dude with a “SECURITY? jacket made the wisecrack to my opponent “Are you really gonna lose to the guy with a Pink Floyd shirt??, referencing me. I looked at SECURITY and said “Shut up.? And he did. Seriously, what the hell was that about? You are going to give me crap about my shirt... WHEN YOU HAVE A SECURITY JACKET ON?  HELL NO.

Game 2 I remember Misdirecting his Ancestral to me, and then Gifting a million times until DSC beat his head in. Mike was a nice guy though, and a gracious opponent. We had good games.

Finals – Chris, again, with Gifts Oath

First off, the prize was actually variable. The winner could pick the Bazaar, a Library, a foil Sol Ring, or a box of Ravnica (heh). I have a Library, so I wanted the Bazaar, but he wanted the Library. I offered a split to Chris – He thought the Bazaar was worth $110, so I offered him $60 for me to take the Bazaar. He declined. I told him I would sell him my Library for $50 (it's hashed), and take the Bazaar, which he once again declined, but called the offer “tempting?. I think it's a friendly thing, splitting, since everyone wins. Apparently he disagreed, but that's cool, everyone has his own opinion.

I lost the dice roll, as usual, and wished him good luck. He said nothing. He led with a Tundra and passed the turn. He then followed up by passing the turn about 5 more times. Mana screw is a bad thing, I hear. He had a chance to come back later in the game, when he Ancestraled, but I fought the counterwar and Mis-D'd it to me. That was the game. I felt bad for him getting land screwed, but I tried to offer a fair split.

I boarded in some nice E. Plagues, Annuls, Blasts, the works. It was time to claim the Bazaar for all that is holy – Tucson.

Before Game 2, I wished him good luck again. He said nothing. I think it's usually nice to reciprocate, but whatever. The next game, I mulliganed a decent 7 to an awesome 6 with double FoW and Mis-D. He Mysticaled up an early Ancestral, but hung on to it this time. On one of his endsteps, I Gifted, and we both had 2 blue open. He Ancestraled in response. I FoW'ed, he FoW'ed, I Mana Drained, he ReB'ed, then I Misdirected the Ancestral back to me. I then proceeded to draw 3 followed by my own Gifts, which sealed the deal. I kept Gifting and all that jazz, once Draining his Oath into an E. Plague naming Spirits.. Eventually, he hardcasted a DSC. I wished so much right then I had a Mana Drain for comedic value, but instead it resolved. I Rebuilt EOT, then Tendrils'ed him out on my turn. GG. Chris probably refused the split based on how easily he rolled over me during the Swiss, but that wasn't such a good basis. When I said “good games?, he said “It really annoys me when people say that, when they were bad.? Sorry dude, not trying to annoy you. I'm sure we will meet again sometime - Don't hold a grudge. Good games, really. Smile

Anyway, I claimed the Bazaar for lowly Tucson, and Jeff the store owner apologized for the deck-check problem... No prob. Thanks for the tournament.

On the way home, I bought my 2 teammates In & Out Burger (apparently the winner always has to buy), and then we headed home, getting multiple forms of gas and trashtalking Phoenix. Just kidding. Maybe.

This report was probably super boring because it's 3 AM and I am spitting out non-sequitors. Hopefully somebody gets something out of it.

Long live Tucson.

Props
-Our little team for savagely representing, putting John and I in the Top 4, and Miklos at 5th place.
-John, for doing the driving
-John, for beating FCG with Stax
-Miklos, for lending me Mana Drians
-Jeff, the owner of ManaWerx for throwing up the prizes... Thanks, man! You're a badass. Very Happy
-In & Out Burger, Waffle House for being yummy

Slops
-Random medical TV shows which spark horrible discussion
-My wisdom teeth, for being ripped out earlier this week and causing much pain and swelling. ManaWerx took a snapshot of me with the Bazaar to post on their site (www.manawerx.com) and I'm sure it will look goofy.
-Having a player do the deckcheck... bad... bad...

EDIT:

Here's the decklist I played.

1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring

1 Darksteel Colossus

1 Ancestral Recall
4 Brainstorm
1 Fact Or Fiction
4 Force Of Will
4 Gifts Ungiven
4 Mana Drain
3 Misdirection
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Rebuild
1 Echoing Truth

1 Burning Wish
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Merchant Scroll
1 Recoup
1 Time Walk
1 Tinker
1 Yawgmoth's Will

5 Island
2 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
2 Underground Sea
2 Volcanic Island
1 Snow-covered Island
1 Tolarian Academy

SB
1 Pyroblast
1 Red Elemental Blast
2 Pithing Needle
1 Darkblast
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Pyroclasm
3 Annul
3 Tormod's Crypt
2 Engineered Plague

Mostly, I was satisfied, but I would make a few changes.
-1 Annul +1 Red Elemental Blast
-1 Tormod's Crypt +1 Eye of Nowhere (turns Burning Wish into a good answer card)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 12:51:52 pm by Aaron » Logged

M A N A   D R A I N
Methuselahn
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 07:13:13 am »

Good job man!

You guys keep truckin' down there in the middle of nowhere.   Wink
Juggernaut GO
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 11:20:47 pm »

for real, where was type 1 magic when I lived there for 6 months Very Happy  Tucson is a pretty sweet town, there are like 12 strip clubs!

Rand Paul is a stupid fuck, just like his daddy.  Let's go buy some gold!!!
carl
Full Members
Basic User

22029849 msn@zongo.be
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 03:56:03 pm »

This report was probably super boring because it's 3 AM and I am spitting out non-sequitors. Hopefully somebody gets something out of it.

Sure, I added it to my collection :)

Thanks for writing it.

Aaron
Basic User

intelli78
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 03:52:56 am »

for real, where was type 1 magic when I lived there for 6 months Very Happy  Tucson is a pretty sweet town, there are like 12 strip clubs!

When did you live in Tucson? I would be surprised if you tried and failed to find Type I, there was quite a lot of it a few years ago.

As for carl: You added it to your collection of super boring tournament reports?  Very Happy

M A N A   D R A I N
matthew
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 01:17:30 am »

Do you know if your guys are going to have any type 1 in February. I'll be down there the 2nd and 3rd weeks to visit friends.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: