TheManaDrain.com
May 21, 2019, 06:18:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wording Issue for a card in my set  (Read 4212 times)
Harlequin
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2006, 07:59:02 am »

I've been working on a set (actually more like a block) for a while now, And I just cant get the wording on this card right... at least in my mind.  Here's what I have so far:

Shirk Time   -  1U
Instant
Play Shirk Time only durring your end step.
There is an additional main phase after this step ends. 
(when this step ends, mana clears.  There is a new end step and discard phase at the end of that main phase).
-- OR --
(...)
There is an additional main phase after this phase ends.  Skip your next discard step.
(...)

Ok basically I wanted to add a card that would offset the relatively large amounts of instant speed bounce within the set.  In theory what I want the card to do is simple:  the turn ends, your opponent has an EOT effect, then you suprise them by (instead of going to discard step) you jump to a 3rd main phase, then the turn ends again. 

No untapping, No mana floating, No additional combat steps, all "until end of turn" attributes would STILL apply, only one discard step.  All in all, it's kinda a janky card... but I thought it would be a neat inclusion. 

I really hate how much "end step" and "step ends" verbage is in the card... is there a way to simplify this card, or change the wording?  Is this card simply too confusing (ie the player must know the differance btwn a step and phase) to be included?
The other idea I had for the wording was...

Take an additional turn after this one.  Skip your next untap, upkeep, draw, first main, and combat phases.

This would mean that "until end of turn" effects would wear off, and there would be a new discard step ... so functionally this is a different card.  but I thought I would add that wording in too for what it is worth.

Member of Team ~ R&D ~
dandan
More Vintage than Adept
Full Members
Basic User

More Vintage than Adept

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 08:14:02 am »

Shirk Time
1{U}
Instant
Play Shirk Time only during your end step.
Go back to your second main phase.
That was fun, let's do it again

It is a bit of a stinker though.

Playing bad cards since 1995
Harlequin
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 08:19:33 am »

Yeah the card is hardly playable.  But once I get the wording down, I might have it untap 2 lands, or just have it cantrip ... that would make it at least playable. 

As for your suggestion I would like to avoid creating new wording.  "going back" leaves even more room for interpretation.  I think I it is more clear in insert a 3rd mainphase ... rather than make it seem as though the game is going  back in time.

Edit: Also I want to alow the current end step to end naturally.  Rather than upon resolution - we just jump into a new phase. 

thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 08:22:47 am by Harlequin » Logged

Member of Team ~ R&D ~
Nefarias
Full Members
Basic User

NefariasAndy
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 11:44:33 am »

It's not exactly the same, but accomplishes a similar goal:

Shirk Time 1U
Instant
Play Shirk Time only during your end step.
Until end of turn, you may play creature, sorcery, artifact, and enchantment spells any time you could play an instant.

You can limit the card types too, and this doesn't alow you to play a land during the phase, and you can respond to spells, but it's pretty close. If you don't want to be able to respond to things, you can add "unless there is a spell on the stack" to the end of it, but that messes it up a bit for little gain, IMO.

Team GG's

Quote from: Young Jeezy
This will be the realest shit you ever quote
Harlequin
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 12:16:15 pm »

That was the original wording on the card, but again it wasn't exactly what I wanted, because As you said, It lets you respond to spells in ways that would not normally be allowed in a true main phase.  Also, not that it matters much... but could have mana floating etc ... Also there are a few cards in the set that say "at the begining of each of your main phases ..."  And "at the begining of your next main phase" (manadrain esq).  wich is also again, why I thought this card would be neat. 

Right now I'm waffling between the lesser of two evils: Make a card that is hard to read -- and comprimise what I intended the card to do ...

Maybe that should be my question, when designing a card, how often you comprimise your idea for simpler wording?

Member of Team ~ R&D ~
Scoops666
Basic User

Guess I gotta enter my scoop phase.

Macsticky666
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 12:31:15 pm »

R&D changes the wording on cards all the time for simplicity reasons, so you shouldn't feel too bad if you have to "power down" the card for clarity.

Also, if you had it create an additional main phase and an additional end phase, while putting in a clause saying skip your next discard and clean up steps, then you'd only have to discard and cleanup once, at the end of the second discard/cleanup.

Because someone might be confused with what I just said, I'll illustrate the whole turn from combat on:

combat phase
2nd main phase
end of turn phase
     end of turn step
     cleanup/discard step (which would be skipped)
3rd Main phase (created by the card)
2nd end of turn phase (created by the card)
     end of turn step
     cleanup/discard step
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 11:47:57 pm by Scoops666 » Logged

I actually had to explain to someone why Mana Drain was better than Counterspell. That was depressing...

Then they asked why Black Lotus was better than Gilded Lotus. I walked away.
Harlequin
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 01:38:18 pm »

Do you think

the wording:

"Play Shirt Time only durring your end step.
There is an additional main phase after this phase ends.  Skip your next discard step.
(skip the next discard step, after the additional mainphase there is an additional end step and additional discard step)."

Is clear enough? 

Because clearly there is a rule that basically says "the turn must end on a discard/clean up step" The rules themselves dictate that if priority is given sometime durring or after the discard step a new end of turn step and a new discard step is generated. this comes into effect with things like madness.  Right?

Member of Team ~ R&D ~
Matt
Post like a butterfly, Mod like a bee.
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 02:29:24 pm »

I see two basic problems with this card. The first one is the color:

So you're worried blue might be too good, so you want to print a foil for that (which is a good idea)...and you want to make it a blue card? So the best deck AND the anti-best deck are both blue? What is this, Type One?

Second, I don't see any particular reason why you can't just reprint [card]Seedtime[/card], which already does almost exactly what you're trying to do. It's honestly not worth a) the ugly phase/step verbage, or b) forcing people to remember exactly what that phase stuff means. Most card designers have a real problem remembering to make their cards easy to understand - remember, the vast majority of players don't have to put up with Worldgorger Dragon stack tricks and other such arcane bits of trivia.

I say you just re-use Seedtime, for these reasons:
1. It's not blue. D'oh!
2. It punishes bounce like you want.
3. Its wording is very simple. Even if you get a short wording, you're going to NEED to fill the rest of your card up with reminder text.
4. It's really obvious that your card is TRYING to just give the anti-bounce player another turn without really giving another turn.

Sometimes, when you try to reinvent the wheel, you forget that the wheel was a pretty good invention in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 02:32:10 pm by Matt » Logged

http://www.goodgamery.com/pmo/c025.GIF
----------------------
SpenceForHire2k7: Its unessisary
SpenceForHire2k7: only spelled right
SpenceForHire2k7: <= world english teach evar
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Harlequin
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 02:53:36 pm »

That is sound advice.  And I had considered chaning the color ...

Ultimately I think you might be right, I think I'll can this card and include something like Seedtime.  Thanks for the advice.

Member of Team ~ R&D ~
Mind_under_Matter
Basic User

trojanoline63
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 02:55:02 pm »

Just to make it a bit more playable, you might take out the "only on your own turn" clause as Drain hate.

So in conclusion, creatures are bad. Play blue cards instead.
-Dr. Sylvan
Matt
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 05:39:27 pm »

Just to make it a bit more playable, you might take out the "only on your own turn" clause as Drain hate.
That would make it extremely powerful.

----------------------
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Mind_under_Matter
Basic User

trojanoline63
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 08:01:04 pm »

Not unfairly so, you're still not the active player.

-Dr. Sylvan
Matt
Basic User

King of the Jews!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 01:25:37 am »

Not unfairly so, you're still not the active player.
How does that affect Seedtime (or Shirk Time) at all?

----------------------
----------------------
noitcelfeRmaeT
{Team Hindsight}
Mind_under_Matter
Basic User

trojanoline63
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 07:35:29 pm »

Ah, I was going off the there is an additional main phase text, not the go back to your second main phase. (which would probably be worded as after combat main phase.)

-Dr. Sylvan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: