TheManaDrain.com
December 05, 2019, 11:08:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gamer's Thread  (Read 2189 times)
Sextiger
Basic User

My nickname was born for these days

Sextiger187
View Profile
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:06:35 pm »

I haven't seen much video game related talk on the forums.  I'm posting this thread to see what games people play these days and also as a way to possibly start up some online play. 

I really don't play PC games much these days, my computer is getting old and nothing of note has been released lately.  I got a Xbox 360 a few months ago and I'm loving it.  I'm been playing a lot of Gears of War and Xbox Live Arcade games.  I'll probably be playing a ton of Shadowrun once it comes out this week, I have been super pumped for it for a while now. 

My Xbox live tag is Greed314, throw me an invite if you want. 

"After these years of arguing I've conceded that Merchant Scroll in particular can be an exception to this rule because it is a card that you NEVER want to see in multiples, under any circumstances. Merchant Scroll can be seen as restricted in a way because should you have 2 in a hand, only one is really useful (that is, only one can get Ancestral)."
Vegeta2711
Bouken Desho Desho?
Full Members
Basic User

Nyah!

Silky172
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:31:16 pm »

All the time I've sunk into video games lately has been into Odin Sphere. It's one of the best video games I've played in the last couple of years and has some of the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen for any game on any system. Of course it's all 2D, which means a few people might take points off for no good reason, but honestly just see the game or the illustrations from the art book and you'll see what I mean.

Otherwise it's like a side-scrolling beat'em up with an advanced alchemy system which also makes for interesting inventory management. Basically it's like a 2D fantasy beat 'em up meets RPG. And the story is really good, I've only just gotten to book 3 (out of 6) currently  and I'm hooked. I'm reasonably sure I could easily sink 60-70 hours into this game. Already put in 16+ or so and only completed two of the books!

Final note: The game is hard. Most of the bosses can take you out in one or two shots with their special moves unless you spend a lot of time leveling up and the regular attacks to plenty of damage. If you aren't careful or don't have a plan it's easy to die a whole lot in this game. And I'm talking about on Normal. Hard (and supposedly there's another level after 'Heoric') reminds me of Dragon Quest level difficulty.

Like seriously, if you own a PS2, go buy this game. 

Team Reflection

www.vegeta2711.deviantart.com - My art stuff!
Sextiger
Basic User

Sextiger187
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:40:54 pm »

Everything single thing I've heard about Odin Sphere is overwhelmingly positive.  I kinda wanna get it but I'll probably be physically attached to Shadowrun/Bioshock/Mass Effect over the next few months.   Surprised

"After these years of arguing I've conceded that Merchant Scroll in particular can be an exception to this rule because it is a card that you NEVER want to see in multiples, under any circumstances. Merchant Scroll can be seen as restricted in a way because should you have 2 in a hand, only one is really useful (that is, only one can get Ancestral)."
Roxas
Full Members
Basic User

JesusRoxas
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 02:37:58 am »

The vast majority of my non-Magic gaming time recently has been spent playing Touhou curtain fire shooters, particularly Perfect Cherry Blossom. I'm also being increasingly dragged into StarCraft again by old friends.

After Regionals I'm probably going to pick up Odin Sphere and import a copy of Guilty Gear Accent Core.

Kowal
My name is not Brian.
Adepts
Basic User

Reanimate your feet!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 04:16:15 am »

I've been playing an absurd amount of classic RPGs, thanks to their being discrete ways to amuse myself at work.  When I'm at home, I am still playing classic RPGs.  Baldur's Gate 2 may actually be my all-time favorite game now.
Ephraim
Adepts
Basic User

The Casual Adept

LordZakath
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:57:44 am »

I have been playing a lot of Guild Wars lately.  I have such a love/hate relationship with that game, but it gives me something to do.  Other than that, I'm actually trying to find people with whom to play analog games.  I've been taking my board games to FNM to entice the other gamers there after we finish playing Magic.  This week, I think I'm going to try to drum up some interest in games played with oldschool gaming implements:  playing cards, dominoes, and 6-sided dice.

Did you know that Red is the color or art and music and passion? Combine that with Green, the color of nature, spiritualism, and community and you get a hippie commune of drum circles, dreamcatchers, and recreational drug use. Let's see that win a Pro Tour.
Sextiger
Basic User

Sextiger187
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 11:24:10 pm »

I finally found Shadowrun and I have to say.................Wow.  If you own an Xbox 360 and like shooter games whatsoever I beg of you to pick this game up, it is a masterpiece.  From the first day of play alone I can say this is one of the best games I have ever played. 

Klep
OMG I'M KLEP!
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 04:51:26 pm »

After playing through FF1 again recently, a friend let me borrow Rogue Galaxy, with which I'm having a fun time.  I also recently purchased a DS for Puzzle Quest.

I still have God of War 2 sitting on top of my TV chest, patiently waiting its turn, but that may be a while in coming because there's a Civ IV expansion dropping in July, and obviously Bioshock in August is going to blow everything else out of the water.

I gave Odin Sphere a try, and while the game seemed like it could be fun, I felt like I was having to do too much inventory management compared to the time I spent beating people up.  That may change later in the game, but it didn't inspire me to purchase it.

So I suppose I should take The Fringe back out of my sig now...
kirdape3
Full Members
Basic User

tassilo27 tassilo27
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:09:51 pm »

BG2 is awesome.

Wizardry 8, on the other hand, is the stone cold nuts.

WRONG!  CONAN, WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE?!

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
Hi-Val
Attractive and Successful
Adepts
Basic User

Reinforcing your negative body image

wereachedparity
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 09:11:13 pm »

I've been playing Daggerfall recently. You can still Torrent it and the game is huge, nonlinear and immersing. If you're into RPGs, it doesn't get much better. Just make sure you patch it up. If you're experiencing problems with the game, shoot me a PM.

Team Meandeck: VOTE RON PAUL KILL YOUR PARENTS MAKE GOLD ILLEGAL

Quote from: Steve Menendian
Doug was really attractive to me.
erictehfatz0r
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 07:10:06 am »

Diablo II: LOD anyone?

I had the urge two nights ago to start playing it again. I have a 78 Sorceress already.

This computer isn't good enough to play Guild Wars (shocking, yes) and I don't have money for WoW, so it's classic online gaming at it's finest.

Ephraim, should I ever decide to log back on to GW my name is Eric The Awesome. I only play the original version though, I stopped buying after Factions because it sucked. If you see me on say hello.

Oh, and I have almost half of the 40 songs on Guitar Hero II for PS2 five-starred. That's as good as I'll get.

Quote from: BRAM
Wikipedia is becoming more and more like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy....
Quote from: Vegeta2711
I'm pretty sure playing what amounts to a 5 mana cantripping Gray Ogre is fucking terrible.
Kowal
My name is not Brian.
Adepts
Basic User

Reanimate your feet!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 07:25:33 am »

Just half?

I was only missing Jordan and Misirlou when I stopped playing.  Misirlou I could get four pretty consistantly, but FUCK Jordan.  The guy who wrote that song must have been doing some really bad drugs.
Eddie
Full Members
Basic User

Mr. Monster

Lord_Kwakkie@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 08:04:10 am »

BG2 is awesome.
QFT.

Right now, I'm playing FEAR and C&C3. It was a while since I played an RTS, and I'm loving it.

No room in the house exceeds a length of twenty-five feet, let alone fifty feet, let alone fifty-six and a half feet, and yet Chad and Daisy's voices are echoing, each call responding with an entirely separate answer. In the living room, Navidson discovers the echoes emanating from a dark, doorless hallway which has appeared out of nowhere in the west wall.

House of Leaves - Danielewski
Sextiger
Basic User

Sextiger187
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 09:32:40 am »

Just half?

I was only missing Jordan and Misirlou when I stopped playing.  Misirlou I could get four pretty consistantly, but FUCK Jordan.  The guy who wrote that song must have been doing some really bad drugs.

Well, the writer does wear a KFC Bucket on his head  http://tinylink.com/?pjZKH3qBUK 

MadManiac21
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 10:31:06 am »

Buckethead is one of the best guitarists alive today. Unfortunately he's got too many psychological issues to really play in any sort of organized band. Look him up on youtube and check out some of his videos, they are absolutely wild.

As for gaming I'm going throuhg FFX and FFXII right now since I never got to during the school year. I'm also enjoying some MLB O7: The Show action, particularly the "road to the show" career mode of creating a player since it is somewhat similar to an rpg (you build up a player, spend points on his abilities, etc.)

I also just saw that Armored Core released like 4 more games after AC2 so I'm pumped to find them and start ripping it up with my old mech.

Team Hadley: ALL YOUR MOX ARE BELONG TO US
Red Sox: 2004 AND 2007 World Series Champs!
I pray to Tom Brady.
Methuselahn
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 04:07:37 pm »

My wife, five-year-old, and I are hideously addicted to Guitar Hero games.  Simply Awesome Games.  The difficulty levels dramatically spike from Hard to Expert, but are passable, even Jordan.  Seriously helps if you've played guitar previously.
Bob The Builder
Basic User

lefevre-marysael@telenet.be
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 09:12:34 am »

I'm addicted to Battlefield 2 and I play some Red Orchestra 2

Anyone willing to play, add me on Xfire (bobthebuilder79)

My mind is no longer here, my body follows.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: