TheManaDrain.com
August 24, 2019, 10:43:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RESULTS: 3rd Vintage Proxy Event  (Read 1800 times)
aosquirrels
Basic User

Nuts to you!

View Profile Email
« on: September 24, 2007, 02:08:53 pm »

24 players participated in the 3rd Vintage Proxy Event. Noble Lilliestierna took the first place prize of an Unlimited Time Walk by playing Vial Goblins. Interestingly enough, Noble played with the exact same cards (not just the decklist) as the winner of the 2nd Proxy Eentt did. WOW! Nice job Noble.

A very special thanks must go to Scott Limoges who not only supplied ALL the prizes for the event but allowed everyone to play for FREE! That's right....FREE. Scott is now taking his medication again.

The standings after 5 rounds of swiss are as follows:

1 Eric Van Laethem - Gush Tinker
2 Carl Van Laethem - Mud Domination
3 Conley Woods - Bombernaughts
4 Noble Lilliestierna - Vial Goblins
5 Andrew Natale - Suicide Black
6 Brennan Cook - GAT
7 Adam Ramsay - Control Slaver
8 Scott Limoges - GAT
9 Ryan Shaffer - 5c Stax
10 Jeff Kokx - GAT
11 Alex Bade - 2-land Belcher
12 Matthew Guzzo - U/B Control
13 Misty Brown - Green Tempo
14 Jay Trojan - TPS
15 Christopher Anderson - Grim Long
16 Marcus Knox - MUC
17 Zach Gable - TPS
18 Carl Goodrich - Ichorid
19 Joshua Marcella - GAT
20 Daniel Hayes - 5x Stax
21 Shea Hart - Vial Fish
22 Travis Spero - Gush Tinker
23 Colin Montgomery - U.W Fish
24 Ben Morris - TPS

For those who care, here's how I fared.

Round 1 (Carl Goodrich - Ichorid)
In both games my opponent never got a good dredge engine going. He was never able to keep a Bazaar of Baghdad in play for more than one turn. In short order, my Trike/Orb of Dreams/Platinum Angel won the match. 1-0

Round 2 (Misty Brown - Green Tempo)
This was Misty's second tournament. Fortunately for me she didn't understand what made my deck tick and made a few bad decisions regarding her opening hand. In both games I was able to combo off somewhat early. 2-0

Round 3 (Noble - Vial Goblins)
This was simply a matter of who went first. I win the die roll and lock him out with Chalice to 1 and 2 followed by Smokestack. It was then a waiting game for me to top deck my win condition. Game 2 was onesided the other way. Turn 1 Lackey followed by many little red men that deal big damage was too much for me. Game three was again just as stupid as the first two games. 2 Chalices, a 2Sphere, and then Karn making my inert artifacts lethal was how it went.

Round 4
I.D. with my son Eric
(he didn't want to see me cry if he beat me)

Round 5
I.D. with the newest member of Team Black Gold - Conley)
(the draw ensured both of us a T8 berth)

Quarter Finals
Adam Ramsay (Slaver)
This is the third consecutive time we have met in the quarter finals. This time it was Adam's turn for the nuts.

Game 1
I play a first turn Smokestack and it resolves. This is usually very bad for any opponent except my brain farted a few turns later. I ended up sacking the Smokestack to itself unnecessarily while Adam had NO permanents in play. I had enough mana to cast ANYTHING I drew so what was my problem. Who knows. Adam took advantage of the situation by Tinkering in a Platinum Angel to which I no answer to. NOTE TO SELF: Don't give Adam a chance to recover....he will take it.

Game 2
I was so mad at myself from game 1 that all I remember from this game is that Adam made a play mistake while my Trike was beating him senseless.

Game 3
A good (not great) opening hand fizzled into oblivion and Adam's little artifact controller did me in.

Playoffs went like this:
Quarter Finals
Adam def. Carl
Conley def. Brennan
Noble def. Andrew
Eric def. Scott

Semi Finals
Conley def. Adam
Noble def. Eric

Finals
Noble def. Conley

SUPER PROPS GO TO:
Scott Limoges for supplying the prizes for FREE!

Quote of the Day: At the start of round 4. "Where's the Colorado Crew?....Oh, there they are. Is that table 10 and 11?"

T8 decklists are posted here:
http://www.blackgoldsports.com/3rd%20Vintage%20Proxy.htm
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 03:31:33 pm by aosquirrels » Logged

No one has ever won a game of Magic by scooping.
Scott_Limoges
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 02:37:46 pm »

Thank you to Carl for always holding great tournaments and supporting T1, thanks to my teammates for being great friends, and thanks to CO and all vintage players!

Colorado Crew - Mecca Lecca high, Mecca Hinny Hoe
ErkBek
Full Members
Basic User

A strong play.

Erk+Bek
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 04:32:46 pm »

Wow free entry for a power tournament? That's amazing Scott, just awesome. I hope CO's vintage scene continues to grow seeing the support you give it.

Team GWS
SyntheticAngel
Basic User

Colorado Crew

AngelsFellFirst@hotmail.com Cradle+of+Fat
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 04:48:46 pm »

What happened was we decided to let you guys win because we feel bad that we usually win everything. There were still two of us in Top 8, but 0 in top 4 which is a sad day, but it's good that we have stepped back and humbled ourselves to let someone else win for a change. It also kind of sucked that there were only four of us instead of the amount we should have had. Bob, Jimmy, Lou, and Heather were missing which was sad, but nothing we could do. I know I will be back to win the next tournament I can, and I won't lose to my own cards this time.

"Oh, you want Super Kong, you take now!!!!" -Asian guy in Omaha, NE at King Kong burgers.
Colorado Crew: "Is this what it feels like not to have a hand?"
Xyre
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 05:47:46 pm »

Ninth place. Damn.

Ah well. Another victory for Team Duncan Anderson over the Colorado Crew. Now I just need to beat Scott. I'm currently 0-2. Energy Flux is definitely drastic fantastic against Stax. :/

Thanks a ton for the prizes, Scott, and thanks for the great tournament, everyone.

Team Duncan Anderson - "Now who's going to play Ichorid? Anybody?"
SyntheticAngel
Basic User

Colorado Crew

AngelsFellFirst@hotmail.com Cradle+of+Fat
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:02:03 am »

Ninth place. Damn.

Ah well. Another victory for Team Duncan Anderson over the Colorado Crew. Now I just need to beat Scott. I'm currently 0-2. Energy Flux is definitely drastic fantastic against Stax. :/

Thanks a ton for the prizes, Scott, and thanks for the great tournament, everyone.

We could win if we played Goblins too which some of us maybe should do..... sadly... not me I top eighted with GAT so I will stick with that. Even though last time you wrecked me with Chalice 1,2,3 oh well.

"Oh, you want Super Kong, you take now!!!!" -Asian guy in Omaha, NE at King Kong burgers.
Colorado Crew: "Is this what it feels like not to have a hand?"
Tobi
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Combo-Sau

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 02:17:10 am »

Very nice top 8.
Could you please check if you can get your hands on Eric's sideboard? It seems his list got mixed up, as the cards in his SB must be his manabase, and the lands in his list do not match the colors he was playing.
Also, Andrew's list misses 5 cards.

2b || !2b
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: