TheManaDrain.com
July 16, 2019, 11:25:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BLACK GOLD - 7th Vintage Proxy Results  (Read 6688 times)
aosquirrels
Basic User

Nuts to you!

View Profile Email
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:36:31 pm »

Decklist from the event are posted here...

http://www.blackgoldsports.com/7th%20Vintage%20Proxy.htm

Standing after 5 rounds of swiss are as follows...

13 - Travis Spero  (GAT)
12 - Conley Woods  (Painter's Servant)
10 - Ryan Shaffer  (GAT)
10 - Michael Clark  (Painter's Servant)
10 - Jay Trojan  (Flash)
10 - Lou Christopher  (Ichorid)
10 - Stephen Garrett  (Tendrils)
9 -  Adan Erwin  (Flash)
9 -  Danny Bragg  (Flash)
9 -  Carl Van Laethem  (Dark Illusions)
7 -  Brennan Cook  (Oath)
7 -  Duncan Anderson  (Painter's Servant)
6 -  Paeyton Parriott  (Goblins) 2018 Vintage World Champion
6 -  Carl Goodrich  (Mono Red Stax)
6 -  Corey Fineman   (Flash)
6 -  Scott Fathauer  (combo.dec)
6 -  Steve Golenda  (U/W/B Fish)
3 -  Kevin Ray  (Worldgorger Dragon)
3 -  John Parriott  (U/B Aggro Control)
3 -  Misty Brown  (B/G Aggro)
3 -  Adam Ramsay  (Oath)
0 -  Marcus Knox  (Landstill)
0 -  Brett Piazza  (Ichorid)

T8 results
Travis Spero def. Adam Erwin
Stephen Garrett def. Conley Woods
Ryan Shaffer def. Lou Christopher
Michael Clark def. Jay Trojan

T4 results
Travis Spero def. Michael Clark
Ryan Shaffer def. Stephen Garrett

Finals
Ryan Shaffer def. Travis Spero

PROPS to:
Ryan for his first 1st place finish at Black Gold
Paeyton (9 yrs. old) for defeating Steve and continuing her quest for the 2018 Vintage World Champion title.

SLOPS to:
1 - The two players who made T8 with illegal decks.
2 - Everyone who wouldn't shut up during round 2 about me not giving a bye in round 1 to the LATE players.  If it bothers you that much, speak to me directly or don't bother playing at Black Gold anymore.
3 - The individual who pissed all over the toilet and didn't flush which made a huge mess.  It took me about 30 minutes to clean it up.

As you can tell I'm a bit ticked off at this.  I am more than willing to listen to anyone with constructive criticism of how I run my events.  Please PM me with them and keep them off these boards.  I can't afford a judge and bathroom monitor and maintain the prize support .  Until then....there are NO MORE Vintage proxy events at BLACK GOLD. 

No one has ever won a game of Magic by scooping.
DoubleDrain
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 02:35:31 pm »

carl,

i for one am very sad to read this. you and your store have been the glue holding the t1 community together in CO for a while now, and it is a real shame that a few jerks had to ruin it for all. i will miss all the events and the good times. thanks again for putting up with us for so long.

is this the end of vintage in the rocky mountain area? Sad

The Colorado Crew

2006 Vintage Champion
aosquirrels
Basic User

Nuts to you!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 02:39:52 pm »

is this the end of vintage in the rocky mountain area? Sad

I certainly hope not.  But, until I find a reasonable solution......

Clown of Tresserhorn
Dip Dub Deuces
Full Members
Basic User

Needs more Cowbell

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:58:53 pm »

Sad day for Vintage in CO...

Carl, I hope you atleast consider the possibility of future tournaments. The tournaments were very well run and fun. The Draft afterwards was just icing on the cake.

I fully understand not giving the late kids byes. You posted a start time, so it's up to the players to show up on time. If they can't make it, they should pay the consequences (round 1 loss). I was always irked when people showed up late.

As for the person who peed on your floor...that's just completely disrespectful and I hope karma kicks them in the balls.

I know you've probably taken a loss with these tournaments, and the past few haven't been the best experience for you, but I sincerely hope you atleast consider holding more proxy tournaments, as they are the only thing keeping vintage alive in Colorado. 

"Fluctuations"
Asian man: "Fluck you white guys too!"

The Colorado Crew: "Don't touch me, I have a boner."

Team Meandeck
pierce
Basic User

Part Time Vintage Guru for Hire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:15:41 am »

carl, since the first time we met, in a Vintage tournament over a year ago, I have been a huge fan of your continuing support of the community in CO, as well as your own sportsmanship. I'm sad to see the ship sail, and will miss all the well run tournaments you held.

to all CO players, I'm in the process of setting us up with a new store, and a monthly cash event.

EDIT: lou's got a cracked rib from that tussle. how biblical. the two nicknamed jesus and lucifer brawling.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:45:09 am by pierce » Logged

More like Yangwill!
aosquirrels
Basic User

Nuts to you!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:16:19 pm »

Thanks guys for the kind words.  I think I'm going to cry now  Crying or Very sad  (gets tissue...wipes away tears...feels better)

For the record...

Running these large events (I say large because I run two sanctioned Vintage tournaments a week at the store!) was never about money.  The first 8 events (Extravaganzas!) were sanctioned, FREE to enter, and I gave $150 in cash as prizes.  That adds up to $1200 in prizes given out with $0.00 coming in.  In most cases I had to pay someone to watch the store which is another added expense.  Please keep in mind that I was very glad to do it and to this day do not regret doing it.  Essentially, I ran these events because, as you may or may not know, I can't get the time off from my store.  I practically live here.  That is why I've been married so long (don't have time to get into any arguements  Wink)  Later, as a request from the Crew, I started running these events allowing proxies.  The only benefit this gave me was that I didn't lose $$$ over it.  In some cases I actually made a little scratch. 

The actual problem that I have is my own fault.  When I sit down to play a match, my opponent is also my customer.  Real or not, I feel that I am at a distinct disadvantage.  If I call my opponent on something I risk pissing him off and possibly losing him as a customer.  That is something I cannot afford to do.  The amount of times I have been taken advantage of in tournament play at my store is ridiculous.  I also get interupted a lot while I'm playing to make a ruling.  This results in play mistakes on my part when I sit back down at the table.  One simple example was during round 2 vs. Brennan this past Sunday.  I cracked a Polluted Delta to find a Tropical Island.  While I was doing this I was distracted by the jerks who were still complaining about me giving them a loss in the first round for being late.  The comments they made bothered be a bit and when I went to play my Trygon Predator I realized that I put an Underground Sea into play instead of the Tropical Island.  Brennan then played his Oath which I Forced pitching my only blue card (Trygon Predator). OUCH!  I only bring this example up to illustrate my frustration of running a tournament and playing in it at the same time. I BROUGHT THIS ON MYSELF AND I REALIZE IT!!! 

After not making T8 and cleaning up urine, my wife asked me a simple question. "Do you think this is worth it?"  The answer was too easy.

This is not the last you will here from me.  I will probably run 1 or 2 events like this each year (bigger and better) instead of almost monthly.  Maybe September(ish)?  Regardless, I sincerely hope that Steve is successful in running events in Boulder.  I would love to play in them if you guys let me.

CodeRedrum
Basic User

Father, Student, Magic, XBOX, Busy and BROKE!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:49:20 pm »

This is definetley a sad day for the COlorado Vintage scene.  Carl I appreciate the few tournaments I was able to attned and am sorry that I had to miss the last one due to my new job.  I understand your reasoning and am sorry that this sunday was so terrible for you.  Best of luck to you Carl, if you host events in the future, barring work restrictions, I would love to attend.  Take Care.
Nicholas
JewLightning
Basic User

Jedi Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 06:14:09 pm »

@  Carl: Duh Carl it would be sick if you showed up to play in a boulder tournament. I will miss them at your venue though.

@ Steve: Loloololooolll. Lou totally deserves it. J/K that sucks.

Brennen

Colorado Crew
fromm2020
Basic User

xiler2020
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 03:15:30 am »

TY Carl for all the events and I hope in the future we will have more. I have looked into renting a few venues for monthly/bi-monthly events $10-$15 entry with $100-$150 1st place prize depending on attendance I wanted to see generally what the CO community would think about this, The locations that I have looked at are all around the Thornton/Westminster area either right off I-25 or 36. Give me your feedback and this is A.J. for those of you I know personally. Also the Prize support will go up the more people we have, It wont be costing me a whole lot to run the events so if we do a $15 entry it would basically be $5 to the venue and $10 to the prize pool as long as we have 15+ people. hit me up ASAP, I would like to hold an event with in the next 2 months so i need feedback right away

"Dude just take my advice over his, im asian, he's canadian, im naturally better than he is"
-Bob Yu, Vintage Idol-

"Is your meat real"
-Scott Limoges, Vintage Lucksack-
[url]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/Fromm2020/MyBizannerwquoteFinal
Zherbus
Administrator
Basic User

FatherHell
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 10:32:52 am »

to all CO players, I'm in the process of setting us up with a new store, and a monthly cash event.

Good luck Pierce, if there's anything I can do to help CO Magic keep on keepin' on, let me know.

Founder, Admin of TheManaDrain.com

Team Meandeck: Because Noble Panther Decks Keeper
JewLightning
Basic User

Jedi Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 05:33:43 pm »

TY Carl for all the events and I hope in the future we will have more. I have looked into renting a few venues for monthly/bi-monthly events $10-$15 entry with $100-$150 1st place prize depending on attendance I wanted to see generally what the CO community would think about this, The locations that I have looked at are all around the Thornton/Westminster area either right off I-25 or 36. Give me your feedback and this is A.J. for those of you I know personally. Also the Prize support will go up the more people we have, It wont be costing me a whole lot to run the events so if we do a $15 entry it would basically be $5 to the venue and $10 to the prize pool as long as we have 15+ people. hit me up ASAP, I would like to hold an event with in the next 2 months so i need feedback right away

You one handed bitch I would totally be down as long as I could make them. By the way I love your signature because it's true Ray is canadian which is a huge disadvantage when compared to Bob's asian heritage.

Colorado Crew
Lou
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

'it never got weird enough for me'

fknlouwhoru ctaalc2
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 07:28:50 pm »

Good luck Pierce, if there's anything I can do to help CO Magic keep on keepin' on, let me know.

He's got me, and that should be enough. Wink

Carl, great event, as always. I look forward to whatever you may hold next, and if you need help from me, of course just ask.

I was pretty disappointed to lose to Ryan, the eventual winner, in both the swiss and the top 8.

Brennen, I must say, most of those pictures are bad ass. Who doesn't love seeing themselves?

It was super fun wrestling Brett. Not many people will wrestle really hard until the other gives up, and Brett gave it his best. My size was too much for him. He did fuck my ribs up though, and if one or two of them isn't broke, they are surely fucked up and still hurt. I can't take a full breath!

Team Meandeck                                                         @louchristopher
Fall-Titan
Basic User

It was cold..... I was lonely

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 09:02:05 pm »

I think we all know the real reason you can't take a full breath Lou, and it may or may not involve male genitalia in your mouth.

Fun, tourney, sucked pretty hard having to mulligan 3 times in 2 games and lose on turn 1 both times due to having poor hands once I got into the top 8, but those things happen.

I would of course be down for any and all future vintage tourney's in which I can physically make it to. And hopefully Carl continues his and maybe ventures out into some other store tourneys so he can unleash his inner beast.

Conley

CRC: Breaking Magic, 1 Format at a Time

Cards are pieces of paper with common symbols on them.... We make the game
LordHomerCat
Full Members
Basic User

Lord+Homer+Cat
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 10:06:20 pm »

After the first 12 pictures were all of Lou, I was pretty sure someone had a big man-crush on him.  Then the 'wrestling' picture... I'm not sure I want to know how you Colorado guys celebrate afterwards...

Team Meandeck

Team Serious

Quote from: spider
LordHomerCat is just mean, and isnt really justifying his statements very well, is he?
fromm2020
Basic User

xiler2020
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 11:28:20 pm »

You one handed bitch I would totally be down as long as I could make them. By the way I love your signature because it's true Ray is canadian which is a huge disadvantage when compared to Bob's asian heritage.

Ya we can hold the events any day, I just need to know what works for everyone, PM me the days your open consistently. I want to hear from Lou, Trav, Conley, Pierce, Brett, Brennan, Bob, Scotty lucksack, and Carl. From there we can spread the word and hopefully have the first in 2 months. and also PM me what you think would be the best start time.

"Dude just take my advice over his, im asian, he's canadian, im naturally better than he is"
-Bob Yu, Vintage Idol-

"Is your meat real"
pierce
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 12:18:45 am »

there will be a proxy event in two weekends at time warp, here in boulder CO. I'm discussing proxies atm with people.

We will have a cash tournament, once a month, from now on at this store.

I will post this event here on TMD somehow, with or without TO status. Hell, I might just borrow lou's for that.

of course, carl, you are invited, as is everyone else. don't forget, we hold beer pong at my place the night before now. got any pics not of lou brennen?

More like Yangwill!
JewLightning
Basic User

Jedi Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 01:22:34 am »

Misty took a lot of pics of Lou the night before all of the one's I took had someone taking a hit, and I would imagine that the mods would take that down with the right quickness. I know it's strange that I have everyone else smoking and not too much of Lou it is an anomaly that's for sure.

Brennen
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:25:52 am by JewLightning » Logged

Colorado Crew
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 10:10:09 am »

Hey! Those first and second place decklists look familiar!  Smile

JewLightning
Basic User

Jedi Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 12:53:57 pm »

No doubt Trav and Ryan just jacked them from you  Smile

Colorado Crew
pierce
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 03:15:43 pm »

you ruin metagames.

More like Yangwill!
Clown of Tresserhorn
Dip Dub Deuces
Full Members
Basic User

Needs more Cowbell

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 04:35:47 pm »

Where is the Time Warp?

Also, AJ, I don't really play magic anymore, but if I were, MHC would probably be the place I'd want to play at.

@JewLightning: You piece of sh*t! You totally jacked an avatar of Harrison Ford! There can only be one!

"Fluctuations"
Asian man: "Fluck you white guys too!"

The Colorado Crew: "Don't touch me, I have a boner."

Team Meandeck
Fall-Titan
Basic User

It was cold..... I was lonely

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 04:45:50 pm »

Yea as I said Im down for any type 1 tourneys I can physically be at, Im going back to Chicago for the rest of the summer come June 18th, partly to satisfy the family, and partly for magic purposes, so I won't be at any vintage tourneys until August, after grand prix Denver.

I have Grand Prix Indy coming up and then have to devote most of my time to testing for Nationals so even if I were in CO it would be tough, but post GP Denver, Im down.

CRC: Breaking Magic, 1 Format at a Time

Cards are pieces of paper with common symbols on them.... We make the game
Lou
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

'it never got weird enough for me'

fknlouwhoru ctaalc2
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 05:30:25 pm »

MHC is out of the question, per Brennen.

I like the idea of any venue that will let us play, for sure.

I'll be on the east coast for all of July and half of August, so don't count me in for those dates, but anytime after that and I will be there to help promote/organize/run or whatever.

Team Meandeck                                                         @louchristopher
fromm2020
Basic User

xiler2020
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 12:25:47 am »

MHC is out of the question, per Brennen.

I like the idea of any venue that will let us play, for sure.

I'll be on the east coast for all of July and half of August, so don't count me in for those dates, but anytime after that and I will be there to help promote/organize/run or whatever.

Well Im shooting for the first one to be on the weekend of Sept 6th, 13th, or 20th. Saturday or sunday will be up to you guys, and Ill be throwin up atleast a couple hundred in $ support. I think Sept is good that way everyone gets all the standard and block stuff out of the way, and so we dont lose people cuz they dont have a deck due to those formats.

-Bob Yu, Vintage Idol-

"Is your meat real"
pierce
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 06:39:55 am »

Time Warp Comics & Games
time-warp.com

3105 28th St
Boulder, CO 80301
(303) 443-4500

this will be our new venue. it's also five blocks away from my pad, for anyone who want to beer pong/crash the night before.

More like Yangwill!
JewLightning
Basic User

Jedi Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 01:21:55 pm »

Where is the Time Warp?

Also, AJ, I don't really play magic anymore, but if I were, MHC would probably be the place I'd want to play at.

@JewLightning: You piece of sh*t! You totally jacked an avatar of Harrison Ford! There can only be one!

All right I will change it just for you, whiny bitch. I just love some Star Wars and Harrison Ford is a badass.

@ Lou: Thanks for the support of it not being at MHC just so I could play.

Brennen

Colorado Crew
CodeRedrum
Basic User

Father, Student, Magic, XBOX, Busy and BROKE!

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 03:49:21 pm »

@ Ed and Pierce: I am all about making the vintage tourneys at Time WEarp when work doesn't conflict!!
@ Lou: I don't really have anything to say to you but for a dick you are a pretty cool cat.
@ AJ: Right on for trying to get another Vintage tournament scene set up.
@ Jewlightning: You have a Harrison Ford fetish and you only take pictures of boy's wrestling, do you reside in a closet? will you ever come out?
@ Carl" YEAH come play at other venues, that way we can see the focused, "I am not making a god damn ruling right now" carl!
JewLightning
Basic User

Jedi Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 10:59:06 pm »

@ Ed and Pierce: I am all about making the vintage tourneys at Time WEarp when work doesn't conflict!!
@ Lou: I don't really have anything to say to you but for a dick you are a pretty cool cat.
@ AJ: Right on for trying to get another Vintage tournament scene set up.
@ Jewlightning: You have a Harrison Ford fetish and you only take pictures of boy's wrestling, do you reside in a closet? will you ever come out?
@ Carl" YEAH come play at other venues, that way we can see the focused, "I am not making a god damn ruling right now" carl!

@ Nicholas: I am sorry, but Lou is spoken for already he and Brett came out at the Rockies game congratulations to the two of them. I can't screw with true love, sorry.

Colorado Crew
mtg247
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 08:57:08 am »

You know, I was pretty sad to be moving away from Colorado, all my friends, and a really big Magic scene. Out here in OR, all the shops play mostly draft, which is cool and a lot of fun, but I'm used to playing a lot more standard than is available out here. Also, there is literally no Vintage scene. I mean it. I can't seem to find any outlet to play against another Vintage player. These people out here won't even fork out the money to play a Standard deck, let alone a Vintage one.

So, long story short, you guy's really have a good thing out there in CO. Carl, don't let the scene die. It sounds like there are people that are going to fill the void that you are creating, but damn, I know that I have really fond memories of playing cards there. Hearing this news is a big bummer. Even though I won't be playing there, it still is a bummer to me. Hopefully for everyone you can find a solution that allows some tourney action still.

I also wanted to say what's up to all my crew, you know who you are. Much love.

-Josh
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: