TheManaDrain.com
September 24, 2020, 01:28:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 3748 times)
wethepeople
Basic User

M.I.A.

wethepeopleTMD
View Profile Email
« on: August 25, 2008, 06:08:36 pm »

I just got it for PC about a week ago, and it's just about all I've been doing for the past few days. Anyone else into that game? It's sure as hell fun and appears to be very time-consuming.
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 06:26:13 pm »

I love that game but I refuse to play it. The new school RPGs are just way too time consuming.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
Cardboard Jesus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 06:49:10 pm »

Yeah, Oblivion is insanely good. I used to play it a ton, got it for Xbox 360 the day it came out. I ended up quitting due to a glitch in my game, but one of these days I'm sure I'll get back into it.

Harduvel
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 08:49:38 pm »

I loved it; it was very immersive. I stopped playing when I got to a point in the main story where I could only proceed if I were level 2 or higher (I avoided leveling up). That broke the immersion for me and I lost interest.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Yare
Zealot
Full Members
Basic User

Playing to win

Yare116
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 10:10:25 pm »

I absolutely loved this game, though I haven't played it in a while. I highly recommend Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul to try to beef up the game a little bit though. I am generally a big fan of playing a game in vanilla form first, but I felt like this mod really helped the game a lot. Oh, and be sure to tweak your graphics settings using a tweak guide. It REALLY made a difference.
wethepeople
Basic User

M.I.A.

wethepeopleTMD
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:11:44 pm »

Yeah I've probably gone through five or six characters now still debating on what is perfect. In the first few I was unaware of the perks to leveling up and got in a bit of a pickle when fighting in the wild, but this time around I've made sure to dial everything before leveling up too much. And yes, it is very very time consuming but I have a lot of free time over the winter, so I'm not worried about it.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:44:51 pm »

The overhaul looks like exactly what I needed to enjoy this game again! Great find -- I'll have to try it.

Yare
Zealot
Full Members
Basic User

Playing to win

Yare116
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:12:50 pm »

The overhaul looks like exactly what I needed to enjoy this game again! Great find -- I'll have to try it.

A small caveat: initially, the difficulty got ramped up and made things exciting, but as time went on the advantage seemed to again tilt in favor of the player. There are some new adventures and such though. I still really liked the mod.

Oh, you can also try a "darkness" mod where all ambient light is removed (so, you have to actually bring a torch with you into dark places; it's not just light for no reason). It's ok I guess, but eventually it just becomes more annoying than cool.
Akuma
Full Members
Basic User

gconedera
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 05:23:01 pm »

I have Oblivion for PS3. It is a great game, but I had a few issues with the leveling set up. You can complete the game (main story) while being at level 1. So there really isn't a sense of having to go to "dangerous areas". Everything is the same, unless you level up. Then when you level up, the enemies and loot level with you, so you fight the same type of enemy and get the same type of loot regardless of where you are. Once you get farther into the game, everyone is wearing Daedric / Glass armor, even the poor ass bandits.

Another gripe I have with the game is the way magic looks. It always looks the same, my 2 pt Lightning Bolt looks exactly like my 100 pt Lightning Bolt. Some nice magic effects would have been nice.

I do think it is an excellent game and I spent countless hours playing it, learning the leveling system, creating the best possible characters and exploring the world. I have two level 30 characters (non-glitched) that are absolute bad-asses with all of the best equipment. Both have maxed stats, except for luck and personality. Luck is good, but only if your skills are not at 100, and personality is worthless! I also have a item-glitched character that I am using to complete the game at max difficulty.

"Expect my visit when the darkness comes. The night I think is best for hiding all."

Restrictions - "It is the scrub's way out"
wiley
Full Members
Basic User

garrettlwiley
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 06:32:16 am »

I enjoyed it the first play through.  It really did hurt the feel when they required you to be above a certain level to continue but I trudged through that.  My problems with it are three fold.

1) The storyline is no where near as epic as morrowind.  In this game at the end you have saved the royal family and possibly become the head of fighters, mage's, assassins and thieves guild.  By the end of morrowind you were (almost) automatically the head of all three great houses, head of the native tribes, the second coming of a god and possibly the head of fighters, mage's, assassins and thieves guilds.  Not to mention that the assassins guild in morrowind was so much better.

2) No real 'evil' way to complete the storyline in oblivion.  In morrowind you could kill vivec and go through the (extremely hard) task of finding the ancient weapons yourself and defeating dagoth.  In oblivion (from what I have seen) you can only go through the story in the canon way to get the trigger scene for the attack on the city.

3) The night vision spell destroys my eyes in oblivion.  In morrowind it simply looked exactly the same as if there were that much ambient light in the area, in oblivion it adds that disgusting blueish filter that hurts my eyes.  I might pick the game up again if I ever find a mod to get rid of this filter.

In both games after the first play through I restarted with a god mod-ed character (insane stats, broken equipments and godly custom spells).  I have to say jumping over mountains in oblivion is more fun than in morrowind.

Team Arsenal
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 01:53:56 pm »

This thread is coming very close to dragging me back into this game. -sigh-

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
wethepeople
Basic User

M.I.A.

wethepeopleTMD
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 10:42:41 pm »

Well considering I'm yet to actually finish the game, I have a hard time really contributing to my thoughts on the main quest and so on, but everything else has just amazed me. Additionally, I've never actually played Morrowind, and it appears I am missing out.

I am on my sixth character now, only two of which being on the PC. The other four were just quick characters that I made to experiment with the things like character configurations on my friends XBOX. When I did get it for my PC, I was yet to realize the loss to rapidly leveling up, so my first saving was a failure in that I did way too much Alchemy (it being a main skill of mine), and thus causing me to level up quickly, meanwhile doing nothing but giving me better potions and making everything else stronger. To give you an estimate, I would have to fled from trolls because unless I had full health and magicka, I had little chance in killing it.

My last saving, which I am currently playing, was assembled much more strategicly following the "Most used skills as Minor skills" plan. Knowing that I wanted to become master in Conjuration, Armorer, and Sneak, I made sure to leave those out of my original seven. Now, I am master in heavy armor, very close on Armorer, Blade, and Conjuration. Expert in Sneak, Destruction, and Alteration, and Journeyman in all the rest. That being said, I have leveled up some (lvl 22), but being at those skills I've been able to assemble a full set of Daedric Armor (all enchanted with +50 Magicka Sigil Stones), and virtually immune to just about everything with a endless arsenal of Amulets, Rings, and alteration spells.

All that being said, I've basically avoided the main storyline and am only on the "Spies" quest.

In terms of issues I have with the game, I hate the fact that in order to do most things, you have to talk to someone first in order for you to basically know about it. Like for example, I already knew where to locate the Eye of Nocturnal, however I still needed to go to Leyawiin, talk to Weebam-Na (as well as find someone to tell you who they are), and then you can go to Tidewater cave to get the Eye, exchange it for the skeleton key, etc. I've noticed that the kind of thing happens a lot, and I haven't even been playing the game for all that long.

Other than that, the rest is good fun like finding ways to make it so Daedroths can never reach you by stepping up onto rocks, jumping over lava and off the planes of an Oblivion gate, and so forth. However, I still have a long ways to go in this game.
wethepeople
Basic User

M.I.A.

wethepeopleTMD
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 06:58:48 pm »

Do it.
WhiteWolf
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 07:52:32 am »

Oblivion was the First RPG I ever played. At the beginning the game looked a little overwhelming and complex but very soon I was drawn into it. Now I play Oblivion almost daily and to me itís the best game I ever played. And it probably will be until The Elder Scrolls V comes out. The game is very deep and gives you a lot of different things to do. One day youíre really focusing on completing certain guild quests, the other day youíre clearing dungeons to get some needed loot or youíre just roaming around admiring and exploring the world (especially with the graphical enhancement mods).

And thatís where I come to the main part of my post: Mods. Vanilla Oblivion is a great game but the endless amount of mods available makes it the best for me. Iíd like to list some you really need to try out. First I would recommend you download Oblivion Character manager (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6386) (a very handy tool to separate your different chars), Oblivion Mod Manager (http://timeslip.chorrol.com/obmm_download.html) (I canít imagine using mods without this) and Oblivion Script Extender (http://obse.silverlock.org/) (needed for some mods to work and it comes with a launcher from with you can easily acces the Character Manager, Mod Manager and other stuff).

Some must haves mods by category (Iím not going to provide links for all of them, just use the search function on the great mod site http://www.tesnexus.com/. If you canít find them pm me.) :

Gameplay:

* Alternative start: this one letís you skip the tutorial dungeon. You can start in one of the three ports (IC, Anvil and Leyawin), create your character and even choose some extra stuff like starting gold, background, diseases, Ö
* Color Map Mod: this gives the dull brown maps some needed color.
* DarNified UI: this makes the HUD much smaller wich adds to the immersion a lot. You can even adjust it to your taste. Also the menus get a lot friendlier to use with their smaller font. One of the best!
* Deadly Reflex: this makes combat intenser (decapitations and stuff!).
* Harvest Flora: with this mod installed, when you harvest flora it will really look harvested until it respawns.
* Oblivion Script Optimization: improves your performance
* Real Hunger, Real Sleep: does just what it says. You need to eat and sleep on regular times, otherwise your stats will drop until you eat. Improves immersion. Thereís also Real Fatigue but I donít use that one.
* Unofficial patches (for main game and official plug-ins): these mods are needed. They shore up a lot of bugs, glitches, Ö left behind in the original game.
* Streamline 3.2: anhances your performance, saving system, ...

Graphics and sounds:

* Almost everything viewable when distant: does what it says
* Atmospheric Oblivion: This mods adds more ambient sound to virtually everywhere in the game and improves on certain sounds. The mod is subtle but enhances immersion.
* Better Cities: one of the best mods out there. It changes the look of each city to reflect more  itís style (when you thought Bravil was Ďdirtyí, wait until you see the BC version). You rrally have to see it to comprehend what it does.
* Darker Dungeons (and Darker Nights): simple but great! Now exploring dungeons, caves, Ö is a lot more exciting and realistic. I advise to bring torches!
* Illumination within: when it gest dark people will light their houses and it will show through the windows. This adds a lot of mood to the game when in cities.
* Landscape LOD Replacement borders, Landscape LOD Replacement textures, Landscape LOD NormalMap fix: Replaces the original 1024x1024 landscape LOD textures with improved 2048x2048 textures and makes the far-off terrain look much less blurry.
* MD Natural Faces: it improves the faces of NPCís
* Natural Environments: another must have. It can seem subtle at first but it enhances the vegetation, weather system, water, Ö
* Quarls Texture Pack 3: it improves the textures and makes an immense difference. It can be a real shot to your performance however. 512 mb video cards recommended. Thereís also QTP 2 for 256 mb cards.
* Symphony of Violence: enhances the combat sounds
* Unique Landscapes: a series of mods wich make a certain area of the world more unique in its appearance.

Extra content

* Crowded Roads, Immersive Travelers and Tamriel Travellers: these 3 add extra NPCís to the Roads (and other places sometimes) wich really takes awat that irrealistic lonely feeling you can get when running around. You should check out the mods a little because some of them even add NPC Merchants so you donít need to always go in a town to buy and sell.
* Lost Spires: it adds an archeology guild and a lot of new locations and quests. I havenít done the quests yet but it should be one of the best.

Keep me posted if you try these out. I'd love to hear your thoughts about them.

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 02:40:04 pm »

Do it.

Yeah, it seems like my interest is peaked again. Once my Xbox gets back from MS, I'll definitely be back in the game. Something I want to ask about is the difference in performance between Xbox 360 and PC. Is the PC version infinitely better? What kind of hardware would you require to have a better-then-360-experience with this game?

- Theodore Roosevelt
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 10:18:46 pm »

I've reinstalled this thing again thanks to this thread. What a great game. Maybe with the mod I can actually play through the game at Level I as I intended to do from the start....

wethepeople
Basic User

M.I.A.

wethepeopleTMD
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 08:33:14 pm »

My newest character is very similar to the last (Dunmer, one of every attribute, etc) but I am heavily focusing on getting +5+5+5 every level up. I've been doing that quite a bit and focusing particularly on raising my Endurance, Strength, and Magicka and the bonuses really show. In that I am still exploring the actual game, I haven't felt the need for any real mods, but I will get around to it later on. One regret I have is doing two Endurance skills (block and heavy armor) as main skills so it has the tendency to level me up a little too quick. Does anyone think this will be an issue for me when leveling in the long run?
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 05:05:46 pm »

Oblivion has sucked another 50 hours out of my life. -sigh-

I am currently playing as a Wood Elf and I am power leveling, but I think I will use the same character and role play after I have finished the game.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Darkenslight
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 09:40:46 am »

Does anyone know if any of the mods for Oblivion are available for the PS3?

Just wondering.
Yare
Zealot
Full Members
Basic User

Playing to win

Yare116
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 12:46:03 pm »

Just wondering.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "no," as I don't think there is any way to modify the game on the PS3. If there is, I've never heard of it.
wethepeople
Basic User

M.I.A.

wethepeopleTMD
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 11:08:24 pm »

Just wondering.

I don't beleive so. A friend of mine was trying to find a way for a while but apparently he had no luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: