TheManaDrain.com
September 23, 2020, 11:47:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mono blue stuffz  (Read 2019 times)
vassago
Basic User

phesago
View Profile Email
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:07:07 pm »

Hi guys. I have been playing the following list for a couple of days. I kind of like its performance so far, but however i would like any opinions that rest of the t1 community will offer.  i also have not considered a side board yet, and hopefully through the critism and critiquing i will be able to understand which options are the best. I have already altered the deck a little bit after testing and i will explain what match ups caused these different changes. i have also thought about adding a second color out of the board, which could possibly change the maindeck manabase by a land or two.

4 wasteland
1 stripmine
1 LOA
1 tolarian academy
2 mishras factory
2 polluted delta
2 flooded strand
6 island
5 moxen
black lotus
sol ring
mana crypt
4 standstil
4 mana leak
4 mana drain
4 force of will
2 vendilion clique
4 ophidian
2 null rod
3 thirst for knowledge
1 misdirection
1 echoing truth
1 rushing river (thought about wipe away instead)
timewalk
ancestral recall
mystical tutor
fact or fiction

So far the only changes I have made were the addition of the second removal spell (rushing river) and removing the darksteel/ tinker package, and the additon of null rods. i also have been considering a MD needle, but i dont know how good it will be. So far, I have been crushing fish decks and going pretty good against shop-esk builds.  i added the rods after getting trashed by painter because of their ability to go "OOPS I WIN".   Not to mention it gives a little bit more of an edge in the tezz matchup.  I have yet to test against tendrils, but already know it may be a unfavorable matchup, especially game 1.  Whcih brings me to the secondary color out of the board ideas:

White: gives me Ethersworn Canonist. pretty dumb in against tendrils and not too mention limiting them to one spell a turn is  pretty good if i am packing more counter magic than they are.  Seal of disenchant or actually disenchant would be nice, but however chalice at two can already shut this deck down, so i want to move away from cc2 if at all possible. i also thought about meddling mage, but doesnt ethersworn canonist pretty much serve the same functional purpose i am looking to get here?

Green: krosan grip and gaie's blessing is the only things i can think of worth mentioning.

Red: ever since the de-neutering of timevault, i have basically been in love with rack and ruin.  Red elemental blast has always been the stones, and shattering spree knocks out chalice(s).  Random monkeys are always cool, but the more and more i think about these cards i just want to play tezz or slaver.

Black: i guess the obvious leyline would be a first start. i have considered duress/thoughtseize, but thats worth maindecking if played at all.  i also have considered a U/B version, but i want to keep testing this first.  Jailer is another decent option. 

Well, after all this considered, i cant wait to hear what you guys think and possibly put into practise those ideas or suggestions.

Quote from: M.Solymossy
.... "OMGWTFElephantOnMyFace".
OwenTheEnchanter
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 06:29:05 pm »

Mana Crypt is going to kill you every game you play it turn 1.

IDK why you're looking for so much credibility:  You top 8ed a couple tournaments.  Nice Job!
Cardboard Jesus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 06:57:23 pm »

Mana Crypt is going to kill you every game you play it turn 1.

QFT

Mana Crypt and Standstill should never be played in the same deck. Quite the Non-bo.

Harduvel
Legendre
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:10:14 pm »

Mana Vault would be slightly less punishing(than Mana Crypt), if still a little scary using standstills.  I love Ethersworn Canonist as an answer to storm, additionally with the inclusion of white mana you could switch out Ophidian for Augury Adept(I suppose you could do this even without the white)  I've found that the Adept is helpful against storm also, since often a TPS/Nauseam player has to work hard to squeeze out just enough damage, and the life gain from Adept can give you an extra turn or two to hold off their onslaught.

Do you end up using Clique to cantrip yourself most of the time or is it more of a duress effect?

Observation: I can't see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
vassago
Basic User

phesago
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 09:09:17 pm »

Do you end up using Clique to cantrip yourself most of the time or is it more of a duress effect?

A little of both actually, but to be honest I actually like using it on myself more in this build. Normally ships useless mox to the bottom in hopes of something more relevant. i will use it on them if my hand is pretty good.  Almost everytime i have used it on the opponent I have not used the ability because their hand wasn't that great, and why help them that much right?

mans0011
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:59:27 am »

Do you have a difficult time hitting  {U} {U}? I'm just curious because you run mana drains and mana leaks instead of counterspell. I know you've got artifact mana there and drain mana. I guess an additional  {3} to your spell's cost might as well counter it if you're trying to combo out, or horridly throws off your mana math.
vassago
Basic User

phesago
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 08:22:14 pm »

Well I normally dont have a problem hitting UU in the mid game, which is when I would prefer to throw down clique.  I chose mana leak over counterspell because I cant always get island and sapphire on turn 1. If I am in the fortuante position to drop a mox on turn 1, its normally mox colorless. I have also thought about running two negates for quite some time as well, seeing in how it costs the same, and doesnt allow the alternative cost that leak does.  the more and more i play this deck, the more I see it as subpar.  It is fun though if you like to draw alot of cards. I will play it once in a tournament and form a final opinion after play a few post baord games as well.

the_lord_shaper
Basic User

landwalker000
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:21:38 pm »

I know this may sound odd, but Glend Eledra Archmage is one hell of a card to drain into. Its so good vs everything, it really is that good. Just try it out as a three of, I know you will be really surprised.

"-I didn't know you could stop being a God.
   -You can stop being anything."
Delirium and Dream conversing, in Brief Lives (Sandman).
vassago
Basic User

phesago
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 12:45:32 pm »

i keep thinking about that guy, but he never seems to make the cut.there are other cards i would rather play. but i will try it as a one of and see where it gores from there

neverlookback
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 02:21:44 pm »

i keep thinking about that guy, but he never seems to make the cut.there are other cards i would rather play. but i will try it as a one of and see where it gores from there
arch mage is savage, against any deck so many of there cards become useless when she hits the board its a soft lock and if you untap with it you just win, via timevault or resolve some bomb spell
vassago
Basic User

phesago
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 10:50:33 pm »

So as promised I played this deck at our type 1 tournament here at Gamer's Inn this past saturday, and i was surprised to do as well as i did. Unfortuantely, only 8 people showed up, so it doesnt count much torwards a signifigent field result, sad face.  However, the list i played was signifgently different than the original posted.  Before i give the list i will go through the match ups i played.

Round1 I yet again get to play good friend Jay webb. Four tournaments in a row we play first round, yay.  Before the shin-dig started he asked me what he should play, and i said, meh painter. In previous testing i learned painter wrecked me, so i dont know why i said play this.  anyway, game 1 he mulls to five. Game 2 i open with island crypt trinket mage, lotus, trinket mage and then tormods crypt. good move because a few turns later his drops will and something else to thirst.  yay, round one was not really playing magic at all.

Round 2 I get to play Ryan thomson who was manning the BUG fish deck.  turn one i open up with island mana crypt snake.  mana crypt puts me at one through out the course of the game but i pull through and win anyway. Owen was right, that thing is dangerous.  Game two was slightly humorous. early on he tries to trickbind standstills ability. LOL Later he drops bob, and i luck sack sower off the top. later in the game i walk my v-cliique into his trygon predator only to play my second v-clique in his draw step to ship his only out to a win to the bottom, which was another bob. 

ROund three me and Billy Gogel ID. He was playing tendrils. We played a few games for fun but he only got 1 game. He claims he was keeping bad hands, but i like giving him a rough time. 

ROund 1 of top four i played mr webb again. These three games were by far the best game s i had played in ages.  I wont go into detail of the bad-assery that happened. I did win though

DUstin Chapman (playing dredge) and I split the 80 store credit in the finals.

here is the list i played

4 standstill
4 trinket mage
4 ophidian
4 force of will
4 mana drain
4 mana leak
2 vendelion clique
1 e-e
1 tormods crypt
1 ancestral recall
1 timewalk
1 mystical tutor
1 misdirection
1 rushing river
1 echoing truth
3 thirst for knowledge
5 moxen
sol ring
mana crypt
2 polluted delta
2 flooded strand
tolarian academy
6 island
library of alexandria
1 stripmine
3 wasteland
black lotus

side board
2 tundra
3 ethersworn canonist
1 aven mindscensor (could have been something alot better)
4 energy flux
1 e-e
1 chalice of the void
1 pithing needle
2 sower of temptation

Like i said earlier, i was surprised to do as well as i did with the list, and i think there is a better rendition of it. 

Bera
Basic User

Makorimi@gmail.com azpcben
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 06:03:26 pm »

-Blue cards +Islands

<3 Ben

Welcome to The Mana Drain!  Our site has expectations for posting quality which are a bit higher than what you might be used to.  If you review the site rules, I'm sure that you'll fit in much better going forward.  Good luck with future posting.  -DA
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:15:03 pm by Demonic Attorney » Logged

-Ben
Sjoerd
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 08:39:47 am »

Why is Ethersworn Canonist good against Tendrils?

It only stops them from playing everything after their first non-artifact spell. So if the opponent plays all kinds of cheap artifacts and after that, only one tendrils, he can still finish you off. It does get harder to do that, but I think it is not a dead stop, or am I missing something.
nineisnoone
Full Members
Basic User

The Laughing Magician

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 09:12:15 am »

Most of the time you won't be able to storm just off artifacts.  And in the case that you do, you at least need Chain of Vapor/Hurkyll's Recall/Rebuild to generate the necessary storm which would cut you off Tendrils.  Of course in that case, you should just bounce the Cannonist and go off normally.

There are of course times where you can storm that high on artifacts + storm without any bounce.  But those are fairly rare.  The only time I've ever done that is when I stormed out a Mind's Desire for 5 or something like that, never on a Tendrils.  Note: that wasn't against Cannonist, as that would be fairly useless.  But just saying storming with artifacts only in general.

I laugh a great deal because I like to laugh, but everything I say is deadly serious.
Lurker101
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 01:36:58 pm »

Have you thought about arcane laboratory against tendrils? Also what about Mindlock Orb instead of Aven Mindcensor. You could even maindeck Mindlock Orb and cut the fetches for islands and cut the trinket mages for something like Augury Adept. Also Rootwater Thief is a decent utility creature that would be good against Tezz decks, TPS, and Oath. You might want to put that one in the sideboard though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:41:15 pm by Lurker101 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: