TheManaDrain.com
August 24, 2019, 11:38:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [report] top8 with goblins at xtreme games  (Read 1155 times)
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:44:02 pm »

Great tourney, lots of fun.  Went 3-0-2 in Swiss, top8ing.  Deck performed well and I lost in the top8 to a demonstrated good matchup.  He drew the nuts games 1 and 3, I drew the nuts g2.

Decklist:
Mana
4 Badlands
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Mountain
2 Scalding Tarn
1 Strip Mine
2 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland
2 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa

1 Lotus Petal
1 Black Lotus
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Emerald

Creatures
4 Earwig Squad
4 Goblin Lackey
4 Goblin Matron
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Goblin Vandal
2 Mogg Fanatic
2 Vexing Shusher
1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
1 Goblin Ringleader

Spells
1 Demonic Consultation
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
3 Warren Weirding

Sideboard
2 Ravenous Trap
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pulverize
1 Tormod's Crypt
2 Energy Flux
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Gempalm Incinerator
2 Null Rod
2 Thorn of Amethyst

Round 1 vs Bobby with Stax:
I open with land, ruby, vandal, lackey.  He drops Gemstone, Welder.  I attack, he doesn't block.  Free Matron drop finds fanatic and he loses Welder.  He drops lodestone.  I attack, losing vandal, and drop earwig.  Earwig finds everything even mildly relevant in his deck.  A few a turns later he's dead.

Game 2, I get first turn lackey, which is darkblasted.  The game goes a long while with him dropping an ensnaring bridge.  I get to earwig him 3 times over the course of the game, but never find the Pulverize for bridge.  We go to time.  He gets off D. Tutor for balance at one point, but I just start swarming following Ringleader.

Round 2 vs Jeremey Seroogy
I figure he's playing Ichorid, so my opening is lotus, mox, land, consult for fanatic, play it.  Next turn I draw an Earwig, and he gets double capped and loses painfully.  Game 2, he has no early gas, I time walk and vamp on turn 2, finding and playing energy flux.  He flops around for a while, but eventually dies.

Round 3 vs Megan with Bloodghast Ichorid
Game 1, I Ancestral and Time Walk early and Waste her Bazaar.  She dredges like a champ and I eventually go down to zombie tokens.  Game 2,  she has leyline and I drop early Earwig Squad taking the 3 bridges not in her grave.  She dies to Squad beats.  No grave hate this game *phew*.  Game 3, I have vamp and consult in my opener with mana to play them and 3 strip effects.  I waste her initial bazaar and vamp for crypt, but she's beating with 2 bloodghast. I can't do much, and eventually block one of the two ghasts coming at me with Piledriver and crypt her grave.  She's pretty much dead in the water after I warren weirding the remaining ghast.  I topdeck and play wort.  We're at time at this point, I draw D. Tutor and find/play Time Walk.  I could/should have consulted here for another Earwig, but I was scared of hasty ghast beats.  I was at 3 when the game ended.  So, I held consult back to find Ravenous Trap if necessary.  Anyways, we hit time.

Round 4 vs Daniel with UR drain/Sword of Fire&Ice  fish
Turn 1 lackey meets fire/ice off volcanic + mox jet.  I drop vandal and waste volcanic.  He drops Library of Alexandria.  I nail jet and consult on his EOT for Earwig.  Earwig connects and takes Voltron and 2x Sword.  He loses to earwig beats and a second earwig taking all of his remaining volcanics.  Game 2, Earwig swings in protected by Shusher taking Voltron, Razormane, and Sower.  Repeated bashing with Earwig makes him stop twitching.  His looter il-kor sucks at blocking the 7 coming at him each turn.

Round 5 vs Mike with Noble Fish
Intentional draw.  I go maybe...80-20 against his deck so I draw him into the finals.  Some casual games reinforce my beliefs about this.

Top8 vs Derek with Seroogy's stax deck
He goes workshop crucible, I fetch mountain and drop vandal, he drops another crucible and crop rots into a tabernacle.  Mountain keeps vandal alive, I fetch and eat a crucible.  He proceeds to draw wasteland and drop lodestone golem.  I flop around for a few turns before dying.  Game 2, I open with Ruby, waste, fanatic.  He wastes my waste, but doesn't have much else.  I turn fanatic sideways 2 turns later and earwig takes 2x workshop and his tabernacle.  Game 3, I see:
Pulverize, Lotus Petal, Tormod's Crypt, Demonic Tutor, 2x Wasteland, and Lackey
I throw it back, but it really doesn't matter.  He opens with lodestone and drops a sphere every turn after that.  The lightning bolt in my mulled hand never gets cast.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:08:57 am by AmbivalentDuck » Logged

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: