TheManaDrain.com
May 23, 2019, 05:55:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eldrazi: How do YOU get them into play?  (Read 6998 times)
Nazdakka
Full Members
Basic User

Nazdakka@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:51:42 pm »

It seems that everyone has a different take on how to get the new Eldrazi monstrocities into play. Some go for green and/or red-based mana ramping, some produce a ton of Eldrazi Spawn tokens, some try to sneak them into play using Polymorph or Oath, some again use the instant-speed loophole in their anti-reanimation clauses.

Me?

My current idea is to go mono-brown and use some of the massive amounts of mana you can get from artifacts. To whit:

'Ramping like it's the year 2000'
Casual Legacy

4 Eldrazi Temple
2 Eye of Ugin
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Tower
4 Mishra's Factory
2 Miren, the Moaning Well
3 Blasted Landscape

1 Duplicant
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Spawnsire of Ulamog
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 Platinum Angel
4 Epochrasite
4 Bottle Gnomes

4 All is Dust
4 Expedition Map
4 Sun Droplet
4 Thran Dynamo
3 Staff of Domination

SB:
Any spare Eldrazi I have lying around for the Spawnsire to get. At least one Emrakul, ideally three, plus enough random other Eldrazi to ensure that the game ends in the extra turn(s).

Some defense is necessary, hence Epochrasite, Bottle Gnomes, All is Dust and Sun Droplet. You can't just focus everything on ramping or even a slow creature deck will run you over. Staff of Domination is there as a hugely flexible alternative mana sink - anything you need, it can provide it.

One possibility is that Cloudposts might be a better options for serious mana-production. They would give some more room for utility lands, but the options aren't spectacular - I guess, given that I don't have access to Maze of Ith or Tabernacle, that it would be some mixture of Wasteland, Quicksand, random manlands, Scorched Ruins and the like. Another option would be some number of Everflowing Chalices to supplament the Thran Dynamos. One other mana-related consideration is that I'm putting a lot of work on the shoulders of 4 Expedition maps - I need them to both assemble the Urzatron and find Eye of Ugin so I can tutor for fatties.

I'm also not sure on the ratio of fatties/mana sinks to mana and to defense. Currently I have 18 cards primarily for defense (Epochrasite, Bottle Gnomes, All is Dust, Platinum Angel, Duplicant and Sun Droplet), 9 mana sinks (4 Eldrazi, Staff, and Eye of Ugin's tutoring), and 35 cards that are concerned with mana production. Eye of Ugin and Staff both provide permenant ways of sinking large amounts of excess mana, but that's only 5 cards.

Emrakul is, by a mile, the best Eldrazi if I can get it to hit play. The extra turn is huge, as he always gets to swing, and when he does the game is almost always over. The other Eldrazi aren't quite as conclusive, unless I get to 20 mana and activate Spawnsire of Ulamog's ability. I've considered cutting back on the other Eldrazi for another Emrakul or two... but they both provide a cheaper option and some utility if fetched with Eye.

As a final note, if this deck REALLY gets going, some trully outrageous things can happen. 24 mana with Eye of Ugin and Miren in play equals infinite turns by finding Emrakul for 7 with Eye, casting it for 13, then next turn attacking then saccing it to Miren, finding it with Eye and looping around again. Spawnsire's 20 mana ability should always win the game because it casts the cards you get, so allowing you to gain lots of extra turns with multiple Emrakuls. Both of these may sound like overkill, but if you have several players to kill they could potentially eliminate a lot of potential risks.

So... how are you planning to get the Eldrazi into play?

Nazdakka

Arcbound Ravager is MY Fairy Godmother!

Check out Battle of the Sets - Group 1&2 results now up!
Cyberpunker
Basic User

I just gotta topdeck better than you ^_^.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 03:26:38 pm »

Wow, how did the polymorph plan go in Legacy? I'm just planning to Oath Emrakul or Show and Tell him.

TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:28:21 pm »

Hideaway Lands!

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
Cyberpunker
Basic User

I just gotta topdeck better than you ^_^.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 06:39:21 pm »

Hideaway Lands!

Smile Smile Smile

Chill79
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:04:26 pm »

couple of cards to consider:
Vesuva
Cloudpost
Tooth and Nail
Urza's Incubator
Proteus Staff
Soul Foundry

Collecting Pygmy Razorbacks: 446 total(17*AP,47*Foil,382regular)
uluwatu
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 11:53:33 pm »

My plan for actually casting Emrakul is with channel. This is not a very reliable play though because you need channel and Emrakul in hand early. Playing four worldly tutor helps maximize these opportunities when you do have channel, but playing only one channel this doesn't happen more than 10% of the time. A resolved channel for Emrakul should be game over anytime but especially on turn 2 or 3. Playing Channel I had to throw in a couple Kaerveck's torch too.

My casual deck:
Creatures:
1x Emrakul of Aeons torn
1x Godsire
1x Silvos, Rogue Elemental
4x Kird Ape
4x Myr Servitor
4x Birds of Paradise
2x Lanowar Elves
2x Boggart ram-gang
2x Eternal Witness

Aritfacts/enchantments:
4x Skullclamp
2x Sylvan Library
1x Lotus petal

Instants/sorceries:
4x worldly tutor
1x channel
3x erratic explosion
2x kaervecks torch
2x natural order

12x forest
8x mountain

Because the channel plan is so inconsistent my deck needed a plan-b. That led me to Erratic Explosion. EE can be set up with worldly tutor or sylvan library and is far more reliable than using channel.

Natural Order is my Plan-c but it might as well be the focus of the deck as I use NO more than EE or channel, and from the opening hand usually on turn 3 with a birds/elves . Natural order also gives me another big target for EE, if I have Emrakul stuck in hand I can worldly tutor for godsire/progenitus, then use EE and the target is safely back on the bottom of my library waiting for Natural order. I play godsire over progenitus as he is better defensively on the board and there's even an off chance you can hardcast him late with help from birds.

This deck can also just play beatdown with the apes and ram-gang while you wait to assemble a game winning play (beatdown is essential for making Erratic Explosion a game winning play). Skullclamp plays right into that strategy as well as creating a draw engine with the servitors or birds/elves clamping for free. Running multiple clamps you need some big bodies to plug into, apes and ram-gang love double clamp.

Silvos is the final saftey net and the ultimate beatdown creature. He's easy to hard cast turn 5 or later, and is found with worldly tutor (as is Eternal Witness), or natural order if godsire is unavailable.

Back on topic, Eldrazi could be cheated into play with painters servant on green and natural order...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:58:17 am by uluwatu » Logged
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 05:02:40 am »

If you run staff of domination, u should run Metalworker.  With 3 artifacts in hand its infinite mana, life, and draw.  Just draw til you get ur extra turn guy, drop some other eldrazi swing ftw.

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:32:00 pm »

Dream Halls + Conflux + Celestial Dawn

I suppose it's mostly the thought that this format is just one big Mistake; and not even a very sophisticated one at that.
Much like humanity itself.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 06:45:18 am »

How do YOU get them into play?

T4 style. And believe me, it hurts when someone answers with a Parallectric feedback.

Actually it killed Emrakul's caster...

CorwinB
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 08:34:10 am »

I've been toying with a Standard G/B deck that tries to hardcast them using a variety of plans :
- spawn tokens generation
- Eldrazi land tutoring (Expedition Map, Realms Uncharted+Grim Discovery)
- Garruk + Eldrazi Temple (the untap ability coupled with Eldrazi temples is brutal, Garruk also provides a plan B if you have lots of Spawn tokens with his Ultimate)

Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 04:10:09 pm »

I've been toying with a Standard G/B deck that tries to hardcast them using a variety of plans :
- spawn tokens generation
- Eldrazi land tutoring (Expedition Map, Realms Uncharted+Grim Discovery)
- Garruk + Eldrazi Temple (the untap ability coupled with Eldrazi temples is brutal, Garruk also provides a plan B if you have lots of Spawn tokens with his Ultimate)
I don't like the Spawn tokens method because if they have an answer, you probably don't have the gas to try again next turn. With such good green acceleration in the set, I much prefer developing permanent mana instead. Note that I make an exception for Awakening Zone, since it's continuous.

CFB had an article w/ some ideas, I kinda liked the one with Eldrazi Monument if you're dead set on using Spawn tokens.

I suppose it's mostly the thought that this format is just one big Mistake; and not even a very sophisticated one at that.
Portalis
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 10:30:07 pm »

Elvish piper or quicksilver amulet works too.
Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 10:58:31 pm »

Elvish piper or quicksilver amulet works too.
Not if you want the bonus from hardcasting.

Also, from the rumors/previews thread:
2xElf/Bird/etc + Phyrexian Altar + Mitotic Slime = T3 hardcast Emrakul. I'm looking forward to dreaming up some janky Slime lists.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: