TheManaDrain.com
May 25, 2019, 06:14:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Report] Daniel Scherer - Darmstadt Vintage - 5th Place  (Read 1242 times)
Adan
Basic User

explosive.

310021871 adan@mifeng.de adantheone
View Profile
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:15:53 pm »

Since I sucked at our monthly Legacy today (2-2 drop), I arrived home earlier and have nothing to do, so I thought I might just write a short report about yesterday's Darmstadt Vintage Proxy Mox Event.
The day before Fabian Moyschewitz, Patric Hiness, Alban Lauter and others met up to play some Vintage and drive to Darmstadt the next day.

Our car was:

Fabian Moyschewitz with MUD
Patric Hiness with Noble Fish
Alban Lauter with Oath
Me

I played Dredge fo the sake of consistency. I played with Fatestitcher for the last 4 or 5 events, so I basically have "DREDGE" written on my forehead and people are intelligent enough to mull to Wasteland to give me a massive speedbump. This is really painful against MUD, so I thought I might try a list like Turtle Dredge. I saw Matt Elias' list in his mid-year checkup article and modified it a littlebit. I ended up with this:

4 Bazaar of Baghdad
4 Undiscovered Paradise
3 Petrified Field
2 City of Brass
1 Dakmor Salvage
4 Serum Poweder
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Bridge from Below
3 Ichorid
4 Bloodghast
4 Narcomoeba
4 Golgari Grave-Troll
4 Stinkweed Imp
3 Golgari Thug
1 Flame-Kin Zealot
1 Woodfall Primus
2 Dread Return
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Unmask
---
60 Cards

Sideboard:

4 Nature's Claim
4 Chain of Vapor
2 Pithing Needle
2 City of Brass
1 Darkblast
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Serenity
---
15 Cards

I just cut the maindeck Darkblast and the singleton Ancient Grudge for the 3rd Thug and the 4th Unmask and played a slightly different Sideboard because I everyone is playing MUD.
But in the end, there were just 2. The most frequently played deck was Oath.

Anyway, now for the report:

Match 1 against Amadeus Kurz with UB Draintendrils

Diceroll: me

g1: Turn 1 Bazaar, Turn 2 2nd Bazaar, game.

g2: I get hated by a Leyline and a few counters. I drop Serenity after I cstripped his hand from his Manadrains, but he nukes it with an Engineered Explosives. Bummer! He applies beatdown with a Dark Confidan and evetually kills me with a Minitendrils.

g3: I can't remember this one exactly, I think he opened without Leyline but plays a Pithing Needle on my Bazaar. I slowdredge into 3 Bloodghasts and drop a land. I beatdown with hardcast creatures and he can't kill me since his hand is full with hate which doesn't supply his main gameplan. He nukes my board with a EE, but thanks to recurring Paradise, he can't stop the Bloodghasts that also have haste on the long run.

2-1, 1-0-0

Match 2 against Immanuel Kurz (Amadeus' brother) with Draintendrils as well.

g1 I bazaar go. He goes Land, Mox, Merchant Scroll for Ancestral Recall, go. I upkeep Dredge and his a shitload of creatures, Dread Return, Woodfall Primus and 2 Cabal Therapies.
I drop a Petrified Field, put in 2 or 3 Bloodghasts, play Dread Return on Woodfall Primus, destroy his land, flashback Cabal Therapy on Ancestral Recall sacrificing the Primus. He comes back thanks to persist and destroys his Mox. Then I dispose the Yawgmoth's Bargain as well and take his last chance to recover.

g2 I really can't remember. I can't really dispose a Leyline with Chain of Vapor and win by hardcasting creatures and go for the beatdown. And it worked because I was able to disrupt him with multiple hardcast Therapies. It was still very strange, though.

2-0, 2-0-0

Match 3 against Ralf Natterer with UBr Remora Control

g1 I mulligan into oblivion. He can't apply pressure and just does some Mox, Repeal, Mox shenanigans and plays a Vendilion Clique on Turn 5 or 6. I topdeck a Bazaar on Turn 8 or something and activate it, drawing a 2nd Bazaar. I explode all of a sudden and still win on 14 life.

g2 I slowroll things and work up to a moderate boardposition while he ramps mana like hell under the protection of a Remora (I don't really want to play spells because he could topdeck Traps and that's annoying as hell). In this game I get my grave exiled 3 times by Traps, but tokens and 1 or 2 hardcast creatures get me there. In this game he played a Yawgmoth's Will as a last-ditch effort to replay his Ancestral Recall and a Trap, but he was not able to kill me because he only has countermagic and no further resources. But he drawed all of his lands, so it was also bad luck for him.

2-0, 3-0-0

Match 4 against Stefan Benisch with Oath

I.D.  Smile

Match 5 against Allessandro Ciuchi with TPS

I.D.  and Top8!  Smile

I end up being 2nd after swiss and therefore have to play the guy on the 7th place.

Quarterfinals: Tobias Egelhof with UB Horden Tendrils

g1 I bazaar go. He goes Land, Mox, Confidant, go. I bazaar and can't do any relevant stuff except for putting Moebas and BGhasts in. He flips a Tinker with DConfidant and goes Tinker -> Memory Jar. We both draw 7 new cards (I dredge as much as I can) and he plays Rituals, Hurkyl's Recall on himself, generates a stormcount greater than 14, casts Yawgmoth's Will, replays Rituals and the Jar, draws 7 new cards, then Repeals, then draw a Ancestral Recall and draws the Tendrils and a Ritual with it. Blaaa.

g2 I mulligan to 3 and keep: Bazaar, Chalice, Ichorid. HAHAHA! I play bazaar, discard Ihcorid, Stinkweed Imp and a Moeba and drop the Chalice. He topdecks Wasteland and nukes my Bazaar. Yes, Wasteland. In fastcombo. Postboard. Yeah. Sure. Okay. So I drawstep dredge Stinkweed Imp and hit another Imp and a Moeba. "Trigger on stack, okay?" - "Ravenous Trap.". THIS FUCKING SUCKS! 2 Turns later he plays a Gifts Ungiven for 2 Rituals and 2 bouncespells, I give him the 2 bouncespells, he repeals my Chalice and reveals me his hand which contained a Yawgmoth's Will, Demonic Tutor and Black Lotus. Whatever.

0-2 and FAIL!

Since I was 2nd Place before, I end up being 5th after swiss and pick a french fbb Demonic Tutor.

A Mox would have been cool, but this version of Dredge is strong as well. I didn't play against any Wasteland decks and also didn't had Chalice in any game except for the g2 of the quarterfinals, but I think it was good to have an impression of how this "slowrolling" version of Dredge behaves like and how strong it is. But the conclusion I have now is that it is slower but more versatile simply because Petrified Field is insane against decks that play Wasteland and add speed against any deck that doesn't play Stripeffects since you can fetch a 2nd Bazaar on Turn 3 with it and dredge further to find the FKZ.

In the end, our whole card went top8 which was pretty cool. And yes, that's all for now.

Credits to Sam Berse (his report helped me to develop some SBing concepts) and Matt Elias (for the list), it was very helpful.

So long, Daniel "Adan" Scherer
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:23:57 pm by Adan » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: