TheManaDrain.com
August 04, 2020, 09:13:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Spell Snare be good in the meta post Scars?  (Read 1710 times)
TheShop
Full Members
Basic User

Coming live from tourney wasteland!

View Profile Email
« on: September 12, 2010, 02:49:42 pm »

I assert that it will.

At the point where we get into a post scars meta, spell snare will hard counter (in no particular order)-

Vault
Oath
Demo
Merchant Scroll
Null Rod
Goyf
Leonin Arbiter
Sphere
Thorn
Chalice @ 1
Qasali

The list seems pretty long here, but the main ones of note for me are:
Spheres
Oaths
Vault

I do realize that most of the spells on this list get countered by Spell Pierce also, but Spell Snare hits the new creature that owns the crap out of sac lands, tinker...etc.

Discuss!
vassago
Basic User

phesago
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »

Spell Snare has a home I think. Not more than a two of, but it's super good.

Travis played one in his list, here is a link.

http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=41071.0

I have been playing one for fun-zies, and it's a rock star. Stops Bob dead in his tracks, and the most fulfilling moment was when Rando Commando pitched to FOW to counter my spell snare.

Also, I think a better way to evaluate the use of this card, is to look at all the top decks, and count the number of likely two drops, and the decide if its worth spot. Like in the thread linked above, he has 12 maindeck 2 drops. How useful would spell snare actually be against it? Would another card be better? etc etc  Just my two cents. 

Quote from: M.Solymossy
.... "OMGWTFElephantOnMyFace".
Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:14:36 pm »

I assert that it will.

At the point where we get into a post scars meta, spell snare will hard counter (in no particular order)-

Vault
Oath
Demo
Merchant Scroll
Null Rod
Goyf
Leonin Arbiter
Sphere
Thorn
Chalice @ 1
Qasali

Spheres
Oaths
Vault

I do realize that most of the spells on this list get countered by Spell Pierce also, but Spell Snare hits the new creature that owns the crap out of sac lands, tinker...etc.

Discuss!

I am sorry buy you included only 1 card of Scards, namely Arbiter. So in a way you are saying; will spell snare be a hard counter because of Arbiter?

I think Spell Snare is very much playable and has been for a while now. Still, how good it is can vary. Sometimes it steals the game, sometimes it gets you a significant advantage, sometimes it puts you in the lead, and sometimes it just trades. I don't think it will ever be dead, in other words it won't stay in your hand for long.

honestabe
Basic User

How many more Unicorns must die???

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:21:07 pm »

I dont like to run Spell Pierce, because of how conditional it is.  I think if you want a 1-drop counter, pierce is the way to go.  IT just stops so much.  I knkow it doesnt hit creatures, but with so many of them being played right now, you should probably have an answer or two maindecked anyway.

As far as I can tell, the entire Vintage community is based on absolute statements
  -Chris Pikula
TheShop
Full Members
Basic User

Coming live from tourney wasteland!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:05:47 pm »

I assert that it will.

Vault
Oath
Demo
Merchant Scroll
Null Rod
Goyf
Leonin Arbiter
Sphere
Thorn
Chalice @ 1
Qasali

Spheres
Oaths
Vault

Discuss!

I am sorry buy you included only 1 card of Scards, namely Arbiter. So in a way you are saying; will spell snare be a hard counter because of Arbiter?

I think Spell Snare is very much playable and has been for a while now. Still, how good it is can vary. Sometimes it steals the game, sometimes it gets you a significant advantage, sometimes it puts you in the lead, and sometimes it just trades. I don't think it will ever be dead, in other words it won't stay in your hand for long.

scars wasn't the only reason here...and I think it will be good, not the end all be all..."the metagame" post scars is what I am looking at more intently than scars itself.  The meta will still likely include oath, vaultkey, and spheres
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:59:38 pm »

What about Annul?

Overlap with Spell Snare:

Time Vault
Oath of Druids
Null Rod
Sphere/Thorn
Chalice @1
Ethersworn Canonist

Annul gives ground against creatures, as well as Demonic, Scroll, Drain, but Annul also hits:

Trinisphere
Lodestone Golem
Smokestack
Tangle Wire
Crucible
Black Lotus
Necropotence
Yawgmoth's Bargain
Memory Jar
Duplicant/other robots
Voltaic Key
Sensei's Divining Top

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 10:48:12 am »

What about Annul?
I've never run Annul, but I intuitively dislike it. Aside from stopping early threats, Pierce is also strong in counterwars. IMHO, losing utility later on is far preferable to increased utility in the critical early turns. The popularity of Jace just reinforces this for me further. By the time my blue opponent hits six mana to turn off Pierce, I'd expect both sides have made countered enough threats for Pierce to have earned its slots.

I suppose it's mostly the thought that this format is just one big Mistake; and not even a very sophisticated one at that.
Much like humanity itself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: