TheManaDrain.com
May 21, 2019, 06:41:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st - Impossibly Tiny Vintage Tourn in Northern NJ  (Read 1551 times)
Ufactor
Basic User

Current Free Agent

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:25:46 pm »

ROAR!

This tournament report is being written almost exclusively for the locals that I played with this past weekend and anyone who is entertaining the idea of showing up to the next one.  While I'm at it, the good people of TMD also get a copy - mostly for shizzzz and giggles.  

The event was only advertised only by word of mouth and on the store website, and read like this:

"Magic:TG Alpha Card Tournament!
WhenSat, April 2, 2pm – 6pm
WhereGamers Grotto in Calrstadt, New Jersey (map)
DescriptionType 1 tournament! There are 36 seats available. Prize support is 1st place an Alpha Sol Ring, 2nd place is an Alpha Llanowar Elves, and Third Place is an Alpha Pirate Ship!!!! Get your seat while they are available, entrance fee is $20. "

1st - Me w/ Grim Long (2-0-1/5-2-1)
2nd - disrupting specter w/Blue Dredge (2-0-1/5-1-1)
3rd - Larry w/ UBw CounterDiscard
4th - John H. w/ Affinity (1-2/3-5)
5th - Mike w/ Moat Control
6th - Chris w/ Aggro Elves

Grim Long

4 Cabal Ritual
4 Dark Ritual
4 Grim Tutor
4 Force of Will
3 Preordain

2 Chain of Vapor
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Tendrils of Agony

Ancestral Recall
Brainstorm
Demonic Tutor
Gifts Ungiven
Imperial Seal
Memory Jar
Mind’s Desire
Mystical Tutor
Necropotance
Time Walk
Timetwister
Tinker
Vampiric Tutor
Yawgmoth’s Bargain
Yawgmoth’s Will

Black Lotus
Lion’s Eye Diamond
Lotus Petal
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Sol Ring
Tolarian Academy

2 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
2 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Underground Sea

SB: 4 Dark Confidant
SB: 2 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 1 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 1 Rebuild
SB: 1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
SB: 2 Thoughtseize
SB: 4 Yixlid Jailer

It was an unusually small tournament, as the organizers were expecting between twelve and sixteen people.  We needed eight participants; six actually showed up.  We played three matches in a semi-round robin, then prizes were awarded to the best three standings.  Chaos Tom was incredibly generous and cool about letting us play anyway with the prize structure intact.

Grim Long was a good choice based on the prospective meta-game that never happened.  I was predicting a mixture of scrub aggro and modified Legacy, with Oath and Dredge at the top tables.  The one part of the field that I was correct about, however was the zero percent chance of Workshop that showed up.  I would have gotten murdered by spheres had it not been the case that a) most people don't build Workshop correctly, b) Workshop is incredibly hard to acquire cards for (even moreso under a nine proxy rule), and c) even when played flawlessly, the deck can fizzle itself with bad draws.  It also helps that I know that there are exactly two competent Shop players in all of Northern New Jersey: our esteemed Ashok and this guy.

Chain of Vapor - was swapped in at the last minute in exchange for main deck Hurkyl's Recall.  Seeing as how there were no lock pieces to be found, they were completely unnecessary.  Instead, I was preparing to answer hate bears, black and white Leyline and turn one Oath.  I only used them once all day to bounce a lone Aquamoeba on my brother's upkeep before it crossed over the Bridge from Below.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor - is a low-grade bomb that I can force myself to drop from the deck.  I never used three of the four abilities.  Essentially, he ends up giving me two Brainstorm for 2UU, but that still seems better than the extra cantrip, bounce or Merchant Scroll that would be in it's place.

Sphinx of the Steel Wind - Again, I was anticipating back-to-back Tarmogoyf matches all day.  I cut the main deck robot early in testing when I realized that it was more advantageous in a (slightly) slower deck like TPS.  In Grim Long, however, resolving Tinker usually means winning on the spot.  Blightsteel or Battlesphere will come up the worst time - usually after a draw7 spell.

Round 1 - UBw Discard (Larry)

Game 1.  My opponent has a brassy opening hand on the Play.  He goes Lotus, Hypnotic Specter, Sea, Ancestral.  I search for Underground because I had no other black sources, cast Preordain and pass.  He sneers and plays Strip Mine, and starts making me discard randomly.  Normally this would be game over, but he doesn't draw anything good for the rest of the game.  On my turn three, I have Swamp, Island and enough mana to cast double Grim Tutor.  I force his force and bust a game-ending Yawgmoth's Will.

Game 2.  I side in nothing, and my opponent does the same.  My opponent opens with Black Lotus again, but this time with Megrim.  I play Academy and say go.  I believe at this point that Larry either has Strip Mine or will tutor for it, so I leave Tolarian Academy as a juicy target and withhold Underground Sea until it matters.  He goes Mox-Demonic Tutor-Strip Mine.  Always go with your gut feeling, I guess.  My opponent stalls after that, giving me time to string together threats and cast Jace.  I forget about Megrim and attempt to go off, finding Memory Jar with Tinker.  Then, still forgetting about Megrim, I activate LED in response to activating Jar.  I take four on the spot but manage to put a bunch of cards in the yard, Imperial Seal for Will and activate Jace for +/-0.

2-0Win

Round 2 - Ravager Affinity (John)

Game 1.  My opponent is on the play and manages to empty his hand and drop a bunch of creatures, mana and not Chalice of the Void (yippeee!).  I go off on turn three before he can race me with dudes.

Game 2.  I side in artifact bounce, three Confidant, and Sphinx, removing FoW, one CoV and Bargain.  I know that John has Mindbreak Trap against me, so I plan to win small by either casting Tendrils twice or using robot/bob beats.  He drops his whole hand again, and I resolve a second-turn Tinker.  I get him down to 8 life between attacks and his own Mana Crypt. I have Mystical Tutor and no cantrips, but plan on getting Time Walk anyway to finish him.  He Thoughtcasts into Tinker, activates Jar, drops Disciple, Ravager, and sacrifices just enough to kill me first.  GG!

Game 3.  I side out Sphinx and bring in Thoughtseize, determined not to get out raced again.  I cast a turn-one discard, a turn-two discard, turn three double Grim Tutor, and swiftly drop my opponent from twenty to zero life.

4-1-0Win

Round 3 - Blue Dredge (disrupting specter)

Game 1.  The notes are a little sketchy at this point.  It's announced that this is the last round.  No finals will be held and prizes will be awarded based on the top three best records.  Me and my brother simultaneously groan, but agree to split anyway.  No matter what the size of the event is, it's always disappointing when you go to a tournament and face your test partners.

I keep a mediocre hand.  I find out that my opponent decided to make his deck good at the last minute *cough*, ripping double Fatestitcher on turn two and killing me with a dirty pack of zombies Sad

Game 2. I side in three Confidant, four Jailer, Sphinx and the Spellbomb.  My opponent mulled down to four, dropped two Bazaar, but didn't get enough Bridge or Narcomoeba to finish the job.  I combo off at my leisure.

Game 3. We go back and forth.  I exile his yard.  He destroys my hand.  I cast Timetwister, leaving him with no yard again and time gets called.  We end up drawing for real, despite every attempt to play it out.

5-2-1DRAW

I never sided in the fourth Dark Confidant, but in testing it was amazing.  It was important against aggro, and anyone who dares to not side out removal for game 2.  Sphinx could have just as easily been Blightsteel or Battlesphere.  Other than that, I was happy with the deck as per the metagame.

Props:

My Opponents - for incredible sportsmanship and demonstrating an intense desire to become better players.

Chaos Tom - for running a great event and providing a much needed service to The Magic Community.  Type one has been a long time coming for these parts and it's refreshing to not have to hump it down to Philly or Stratford for a change.

Gamer's Gambit - for giving it's people the freedom to run wacky events and small tournaments.  Thanks for bringing the fun back!!

Barbarian Steve - for mising the Sol Ring at the end of the day, and becoming king by his own hand... And this story shall also be told.

Smmenen - the father of modern combo decks, for letting me turn two people's faces Very Happy

Wizards of the Coast - for printing Preordain.  The money's on the bed, Toots!

Slops:

Phil, TonyScungilli, West, Poof, John's brother, Damien, and anyone else who was experiencing severe vaginal aching that day - way to not show local support for said great event.

Yixlid Jailer - I didn't see a single one after boarding.

The Internet - for failing to provide John with adequate sideboard cards in a speedy fashion.

...The next tournament will be in two months.  Be there!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:02:15 pm by Ufactor » Logged

Religion is like a penis.  It's fine to have one.  It's fine to be proud of it.  But, please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around ...and please don't shove it down my children's throats.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
JennaPRICE
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:23:40 am »

I think this would be fun as hell
Ufactor
Basic User

Current Free Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:09:22 pm »

I made edits and posted part II.

A limited number of decks will be lent out for anyone who wants to get a taste for Vintage.  PM me if interested.

Religion is like a penis.  It's fine to have one.  It's fine to be proud of it.  But, please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around ...and please don't shove it down my children's throats.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: