TheManaDrain.com
September 16, 2019, 07:41:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Duck Weekly Tourney #1  (Read 9058 times)
Slayn001
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 10:37:40 pm »

she is also a fairly smart girl irl. my point is that think of all the magic players you know, or all the people you run into on the internet, they aren't all terribly savvy. Like i said in my initial post, i think anything that gets people to play more vintage is a good thing, but doing this so soon after Nick got his invitational series up and running just seems tacky Ambi, and more likely to lead to brand dilution and confusion amongst players.

Moving past the sarcasm and latent disrespect I think you need to examine what is and is not tacky. Not shaking an opponents hand after losing for example is what most consider tacky. Organizing tournaments for more players to get exposure to a game we all enjoy is not.

Standing on the shoulders of giants is to be expected, its the way that humanity makes progress. I totally get wanting more people to play a game that we all enjoy. However, scrabbling up the back of said giant before they even get established is. If you can't see it, then i don't know what to tell you. Imagine if you had a great idea, something that you thought people were really going to go for, and you deploy your idea, maybe a card shop, maybe a bakery, maybe a paintng service, whatever you want to imagine it to be. And not a week after you open, someone you are familiar with, comes along and says, man, that was such a great idea, i want to do the same thing. in the same community, with the same customers. Now there is a demand, and sure, the community can certainly support 2 of the same business model, but the tactful thing to do, especially if its someone you know, is to wait a little bit, give them time to get established. Sure, you can run right out there and say "fuck them, i want my piece of the pie right now", but you know what, thats just ignorant behavior.

sarcasm and latent disrespect?  not quite sure what you are referring too, but I said you were a fairly smart girl irl. What about that is disrespectful i don't know. and honestly, the reason i don't shake some people's hands is because those games are not good. They don't do anything clever to win, they don't lead me into trappy plays causing to make a mistake, and to top it off, they spend ages deciding to make plays as complicated as choosing which basic land they want to lay in their mono-colored deck. The only thing they contribute to their victory is shuffling the cards well.  Then having the nerve to say good game, thats insulting. If you want to think i am ignorant or a douche, that's your is certainly your prerogative, but when you can say that you did more to win a match than just shuffle the cards, i will be the first to exclaim good game.

Team Topdeck Games.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 10:49:41 pm »

Anyone who would be confused by this shouldn't be playing Magic, because they obviously don't have the mental capacity for it. It isn't confusing at all. If you can't differentiate between the two tournaments than don't join both.

Yes because everyone who plays magic, and everyone on the internet is clearly a genius. God forbid that someone new tries to get involved and finds the concept of two simliarly named events from the same webste confusing.
Ironic since Yukon JUST hit a double digit post count.

So you're going to compare whose is bigger?  Post count is not indicitive of a person's quality.
The point being that someone new and just getting involved had no difficulty with "similar" naming.

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Yukon Cornelius
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 10:50:48 pm »

sarcasm and latent disrespect?  not quite sure what you are referring too, but I said you were a fairly smart girl irl. What about that is disrespectful i don't know. and honestly, the reason i don't shake some people's hands is because those games are not good. They don't do anything clever to win, they don't lead me into trappy plays causing to make a mistake, and to top it off, they spend ages deciding to make plays as complicated as choosing which basic land they want to lay in their mono-colored deck. The only thing they contribute to their victory is shuffling the cards well.  Then having the nerve to say good game, thats insulting. If you want to think i am ignorant or a douche, that's your is certainly your prerogative, but when you can say that you did more to win a match than just shuffle the cards, i will be the first to exclaim good game.

Yes because shuffling the cards is the ONLY way someone gets a win over you. It isn't intelligent lines of play, it isn't calculating what you can and cannot do based on your opponents hypothetical hand, it's all how one shuffles their deck. I'm curious, when you win is it because you shuffled well? You call out how much you hate the variance yet whenever I've seen you win a match it's like you think God himself bestowed the one true answer of cards into your mind. If variance is the only reason an opponent ever beats you than logic would lead me to believe it's the only reason you ever beat anyone yourself.

"Guys a bamf, he uses a pick ax and fights yetis!"
Joblin Velder
Basic User

Useless casual

ninjabot7000@hotmail.com CountRockula999
View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 10:52:28 pm »

So, this doesn't seem relevant to the tournament. PM time, guys?

Team Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday: I will pee all over myself then we'll see who will end up looking bad.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 10:52:56 pm »

Actually, I need to pull my entry. I have a schedule conflict I am remembering. You will probably be able to replace me quick by the looks of it. Cheers.
You're off the grid for the next two weeks? Sad

Well, a slot is open.  A consistent and consistently enforceable rule might be that drops/unfilled slots more than two days in lead to byes.  Sounds fair?

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 11:21:17 pm »

Sounds good. I think you should be empowered as the commissioner. If there is an issue its decided impartially by you. Weird things can happen in this kind of informal setting. Better to have someone who can make a quick ruling so we can just move on to the next week's event.

I will write Peace on your wings
and you will fly around the world
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 11:29:38 pm »

Sounds good. I think you should be empowered as the commissioner. If there is an issue its decided impartially by you. Weird things can happen in this kind of informal setting. Better to have someone who can make a quick ruling so we can just move on to the next week's event.
I was a bit uncomfortable with giving myself a bye.  Frankly, I think byes are the right call since having to redraw brackets with every "oops" drop is a pain.

With a bit more foresight, I wouldn't have put myself in the first week while the rules were being ironed out.

nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 11:37:16 pm »

Meh, whatever. I wouldn't stress about it. It's not like there is a really sweet prize up for grabs.

There are so many potential unforeseen variables better to hold fast to a K.I.S.S. system. I'm fine with you just making whatever call you feel is right. 

I would suggest that you should have fixed timeline for contacting your next weeks opponent, e.g., you have to contact each other by Monday of your match week to set up your game time (or at least discuss it).

credmond
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 11:53:06 pm »

Actually, I need to pull my entry. I have a schedule conflict I am remembering. You will probably be able to replace me quick by the looks of it. Cheers.
You're off the grid for the next two weeks? Sad

Well, a slot is open.  A consistent and consistently enforceable rule might be that drops/unfilled slots more than two days in lead to byes.  Sounds fair?

Exactly, Maui to be exact.  Very Happy
Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 01:59:46 am »

Just beat bibendum 2-0 with this saucy brew

didnt read about re-randoming oops
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:11:42 am by Cruel Ultimatum » Logged

Egan

ECW
ed0
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 02:42:17 am »

Lists are due two days from someone volunteering to hold lists. 

Anyone outside the tourney willing to hold lists?
if you still need someone - i would be capable and willing.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 08:18:47 am »

Lists are due two days from someone volunteering to hold lists.  

Anyone outside the tourney willing to hold lists?
if you still need someone - i would be capable and willing.
Good stuff.  Everyone send lists to ed0.

Bracket is updated on the front page.

I would suggest that you should have fixed timeline for contacting your next weeks opponent, e.g., you have to contact each other by Monday of your match week to set up your game time (or at least discuss it).
Since comparing schedules via PM on here is so easy, that seems fair.  We all have until next Monday to set up our matches.  Of course, I suspect this entire round will be done by the end of the week.

If someone doesn't volunteer by tonight, I'm giving myself a bye.  Trying to recruit mid-tourney seems foolish, especially with a match already played.  Once the brackets are drawn, withdrawal -> bye.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:28:49 am by AmbivalentDuck » Logged

Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 11:39:09 am »

so after round 1 we post our lists here?

Egan

ECW
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 12:12:02 pm »

so after round 1 we post our lists here?
Yes, lists should be posted here.  They don't have to be up yet, however.  The goal was not to penalize people who played their matches early by publicizing their lists, hence sending them off to a neutral party until round 1 is complete.

Ie. If I just played against big blue, I have no obligation to reveal how much dredge hate I'm packing.

Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 02:57:45 pm »

I'll take the last spot if you don't find anyone else.

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
Joblin Velder
Basic User

Useless casual

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 03:58:02 pm »

Ruboonia and I will be battling this evening at 9. Any spectators, the room is DUCK DEATH MATCH, password 12345

EDIT: Looks like it will between 10-11 EST. I'll post when it starts.

EDIT: PART2: 20 more minutes and this will need to be rescheduled. Long wait.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:15:25 pm by Joblin Velder » Logged

Team Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday: I will pee all over myself then we'll see who will end up looking bad.
nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2011, 11:17:12 pm »

Yukon and I are playing in 15 mins @ 11:30.

room name "2 Ducks Enter"

password 12345

Joblin Velder
Basic User

Useless casual

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 11:43:52 pm »

DUCK DEATH MATCH IS GO.

nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 12:38:26 am »

I won 2-1 playing Demon Oath.

4 Forbidden Orchard
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Tropical Island
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Underground Sea
2 Island
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
4 Force of Will
3 Mana Drain
1 Flusterstorm
2 Mental Misstep
2 Spell Pierce
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Oath of Druids
3 Rune-Scarred Demon
3 Preordain
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Ponder
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Time Walk
1 Gaea's Blessing
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Echoing Truth
SB: 4 Yixlid Jailer
SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
SB: 3 Nature's Claim
SB: 1 Forest
SB: 1 Massacre
SB: 1 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 1 Pithing Needle

I kept making mistakes, but managed to pull it out.

GG's

Joblin Velder
Basic User

Useless casual

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 12:58:32 am »

I played DubDub's reanimator build from the Reanimator thread. I went 0-2.

Game one, I hesitated on MMing a Sol Ring that led to Bob which led to a Jace which lead to me falling behind and losing.

Game two, I mull to five but fetch ancestral and Misd his to get back in but run into zero animate targets. Eventually, he tinkers and I steel sabotage, preventing me from using my newly drawn Show and Tell to get my It that Betrays into play. I have an opportunity for a HUGE will and DT for it then realize the deck doesn't run it. I lose the next turn to his Will giving him infinite turns.

The deck was fun to play but felt clunky. I disliked relying solely on Bazaar and Emrakul taunted me a lot. I think I'm going to fiddle with it, adding an Inkwell and Tinker and dropping the spaghetti monster for Will.

My sideboard was shit. Needed more Iona.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:01:11 am by Joblin Velder » Logged

Yukon Cornelius
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2011, 02:17:27 pm »

I played Nataz, lost 1-2 while playing 12 More Creatures than I'd rather be Playing. Here is my list.

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Tarmogoyf
2x Snapcaster Mage
2x Trygon Predator
4x Force of Will
4x Gush
3x Mental Misstep
2x Flusterstorm
1x Hurkyl's recall
1x Vendilion Clique
1x Fastbond
1x Yawgmoth's Will
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Vampiric Tutor
2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1x Time Walk
1x Ancestral Recall
1x Brainstorm
1x Merchant Scroll
1x Sol Ring
1x Black Lotus
5x Moxes
1x Strip Mine
2x Wasteland
3x Underground Sea
2x Island
3x Tropical Island
4x Flooded Strand
1x Polluted Delta

Sideboard
4x Leyline of the Void
1x Yixlid Jailer
1x Nihil Spellbomb
3x Steel Sabotage
1x Maelstrom Pulse
1x Hurkyl's Recall
1x Dismember
2x Mindbreak Trap
1x Life from the Loam

"Guys a bamf, he uses a pick ax and fights yetis!"
Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2011, 03:19:02 pm »

i played this sweet brew

1 AEther Spellbomb
1 Ancestral Recall
2 Auriok Salvagers
1 Balance
1 Black Lotus
1 Brainstorm
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Fact or Fiction
4 Flooded Strand
2 Flusterstorm
4 Force of Will
2 Island
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Mana Crypt
4 Mana Drain
4 Mental Misstep
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Pithing Needle
1 Plains
1 Polluted Delta
1 Preordain
1 Riptide Laboratory
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Sol Ring
1 Strip Mine
1 Time Walk
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Trinket Mage
4 Tundra
1 Vendilion Clique
SB: 1 Swords to Plowshares
SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 Mindbreak Trap
SB: 1 Glen Elendra Archmage
SB: 2 Energy Flux
SB: 2 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 1 Sower of Temptation

Egan

ECW
Ruboonia
Basic User

Duck Online Tournament #1 Champion

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2011, 05:39:47 pm »

Hey, Cruel, what time would you be able to play out our match? Tomorrow during the day or night works for me. Otherwise, I think we'll have to wait until Monday or later. Of course, we'll have to wait for GI and Duck to play theirs out first (hint, hint Very Happy).
Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2011, 06:00:46 pm »

Hey, Cruel, what time would you be able to play out our match? Tomorrow during the day or night works for me. Otherwise, I think we'll have to wait until Monday or later. Of course, we'll have to wait for GI and Duck to play theirs out first (hint, hint Very Happy).

Tomorrow during the day works for me, so does right now if you are so inclined.

Just need to see your list first.

Egan

ECW
Ruboonia
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 02:03:15 pm »

I beat Cruel Ultimatum 2-0. Didn't see the completed Salvagers combo in either game, unfortunately for him. He mulled down to five in the second game and couldn't beat a turn-one Confidant.
ed0
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 02:20:09 pm »

seems like the holding decklist idea worked out "great" - with round 2 partially played without round concluding Razz
(not to mention that i only received two list anyway - from Joblin Velder and Ruboonia - want me to post those now?)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:25:48 pm by ed0 » Logged
Joblin Velder
Basic User

Useless casual

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2011, 02:33:15 pm »

Do it up!

Ruboonia
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 02:59:54 pm »

Hold off on posting our lists until Duck and GI finish their first round unless they already sent you their decklists. That way they will no longer able to make changes to their decks and sideboards. I PM'ed Cruel my decklist before our match.
Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2011, 03:10:44 pm »

Hold off on posting our lists until Duck and GI finish their first round

Too late, already bulked up on Oath and DConfidant hate!

(we're playing tomorrow afternoon)

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2011, 08:44:52 pm »

lol, whoops. I was kinda confused about the decklist thing. Makes sense now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: