TheManaDrain.com
May 28, 2020, 07:04:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Duck Weekly Tourney #1  (Read 10226 times)
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:00:39 pm »

Hi all!

Every week, I'm going to start a 8-player single elimination bracket.  Rules are very similar to the TMD online invitational:
1. Games are played publicly on Cockatrice
2. Players have at most a week to complete each match.
3a. Lists are PMed to ed0 by Dec 15th at midnight.
3b. Lists will be posted after all round 1 matches are complete.
4. Prize is the opportunity to play a featured match against a well-recognized member of the Vintage community.  (This week we're honored to have Prospero!)

***Signup for this tourney closes Dec 16th at midnight CST.
Registration is closed due to already having 8 people.

Players signed up as of last update:
1. AmbivalentDuck
2. Bibendum
3. Yukon Cornelius
4. Ruboonia
5. Cruel Ultimatum
6. Nataz
7. Joblin Velder
8. Grand Inquisitor

Unlike previous brackets, this will be fully randomized.  Hopefully there will be no byes.  If there are byes, preference will not be given based on order of signup.

First matches must be complete by Dec 23rd: one week from the close of signup.  If all matches complete before then, the next set will be due within a week, and so on.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:06:12 pm by AmbivalentDuck » Logged

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Bibendum
Basic User

Majority rule, don't work in mental institutions

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:32:17 pm »

Ill play

The Going Get Tough, The Tough Get Debt
Don't Pay Attention, Pay The Rent
Next Of Kins Pay For Your Sins
A Little Faith Should Keep Us Safe
Yukon Cornelius
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »

I'm all in.

"Guys a bamf, he uses a pick ax and fights yetis!"
Ruboonia
Basic User

Duck Online Tournament #1 Champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:19:53 pm »

Ill play
Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 06:46:00 pm »

I'll play.

Egan

ECW
Slayn001
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »

I applaud the idea of more people playing more events, but perhaps you should consider letting Nick get his Project rolling and not doing brand dilution by immediately starting a second tournament series after his.

Team Topdeck Games.
Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 06:58:43 pm »

I applaud the idea of more people playing more events, but perhaps you should consider letting Nick get his Project rolling and not doing brand dilution by immediately starting a second tournament series after his.

I don't see the problem. Nick's tournament already started, and everyone in the event is already there. Basically, the people that would be playing in it are already out of the tournament.

Egan

ECW
Slayn001
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 07:08:52 pm »

its not that it would prevent people from playing. its the internet, people have all the time in the world. but its an issue of brand dilution, now when someone says, "are you playing in the tmd online tournament?", what are they talking about? the invitational, ambi ducks event, what if i don't think to register for nick's next event because i think that i can qualify for ambi's? i get that people want this community to be strong, and having people play more vintage and test more is a great way to do that, but this seems incredibly poorly timed and really just like its riding on the coat-tails of nick's awesome idea, Ambi will certainly disagree with me, but i feel that if Nick never came up with his invitation, then this event would likely not ever have been conceived. 

Team Topdeck Games.
Yukon Cornelius
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 07:20:27 pm »

Certainly no one would have ever thought to have an online tournament utilizing the online magic program. Does this mean if I'm playing on Cockatrice that I should make sure people know in advance that I'm not playing in Nick's tournament but instead just casually? What this community really needs is to stop being such a group of drama queens. Focus on the game and you'll do much better in life than when you focus on petty drama and ways to enhance/cause it.

Commandant
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 07:25:18 pm »

Certainly no one would have ever thought to have an online tournament utilizing the online magic program. Does this mean if I'm playing on Cockatrice that I should make sure people know in advance that I'm not playing in Nick's tournament but instead just casually? What this community really needs is to stop being such a group of drama queens. Focus on the game and you'll do much better in life than when you focus on petty drama and ways to enhance/cause it.

+1

SILVEERRRRRRRRRRRRR AND GOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Quote from: David Ochoa
Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
Slayn001
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 07:29:17 pm »

That was a very helpful post yukon. And yes, people have been running online magic leagues and tourmanets years now. www.magic-league.com for example. But my point is that this is somewhat confusing, as it is not clear that it is a seperate thing from Nick's events. And honestly who knows, its quite possible that Nick will approve as this could generate him some interest. But my personal feelings are that this is poorly timed, and more could have been done to differentiate it from the TMD Online Invitational #2.

Team Topdeck Games.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 07:30:21 pm »

not doing brand dilution by immediately starting a second tournament series after his.
By nature of being weekly, these are guaranteed to be small and low profile events.  Ie. FNM vs a Standard Grand Prix.  They serve different audiences.

I suspect that most of the people who get into these will be (or will have been prior to elimination) in all four concurrent weekly events.  This is a good opportunity to test a variety of decks against a variety of opponents who have a mild incentive to take the game seriously.  

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »

not doing brand dilution by immediately starting a second tournament series after his.
By nature of being weekly, these are guaranteed to be small and low profile events.  Ie. FNM vs a Standard Grand Prix.  They serve different audiences.

I suspect that most of the people who get into these will be (or will have been prior to elimination) in all four concurrent weekly events.  This is a good opportunity to test a variety of decks against a variety of opponents who have a mild incentive to take the game seriously.  

I don't think there's any way you'll get a 16 man online tournament done in seven day's time.  People's schedules just don't allow for that kind of rapid turnaround.

Yukon Cornelius
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 07:39:00 pm »

Anyone who would be confused by this shouldn't be playing Magic, because they obviously don't have the mental capacity for it. It isn't confusing at all. If you can't differentiate between the two tournaments than don't join both.

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 07:42:35 pm »

I don't think there's any way you'll get a 16 man online tournament done in seven day's time.  People's schedules just don't allow for that kind of rapid turnaround.
Sorry if it wasn't clear: weekly start times.  In other words, there will be four of these tourneys potentially running at any one time since each round is allowed a week.

Slayn001
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 08:14:32 pm »

Anyone who would be confused by this shouldn't be playing Magic, because they obviously don't have the mental capacity for it. It isn't confusing at all. If you can't differentiate between the two tournaments than don't join both.

Yes because everyone who plays magic, and everyone on the internet is clearly a genius. God forbid that someone new tries to get involved and finds the concept of two simliarly named events from the same webste confusing.

Team Topdeck Games.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 08:25:18 pm »

Yes because everyone who plays magic, and everyone on the internet is clearly a genius. God forbid that someone new tries to get involved and finds the concept of two simliarly named events from the same webste confusing.
Ironic since Yukon JUST hit a double digit post count.

nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 08:29:20 pm »

man, haters gonna hate.

I like vintage magic. Sometimes its hard to find good (skill/knowledge/attitude) pick up games. This is a good way to organize some competitive games on Cockatrice with the added benefit of community building.

I'm in.

I will write Peace on your wings
and you will fly around the world
Slayn001
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 08:31:54 pm »

she is also a fairly smart girl irl. my point is that think of all the magic players you know, or all the people you run into on the internet, they aren't all terribly savvy. Like i said in my initial post, i think anything that gets people to play more vintage is a good thing, but doing this so soon after Nick got his invitational series up and running just seems tacky Ambi, and more likely to lead to brand dilution and confusion amongst players.

Team Topdeck Games.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 08:36:48 pm »

Before this gets too large and I piss people off opening up a question like this...

Single elimination or Swiss?  Equal ease for me to set up either.

nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 08:51:50 pm »

single elim. That way ppl drop as soon as they are out and the event can play out faster in the later rounds. 

I'd also like rather have 2 8 man events, than 1 16 man, again in the interest of time. I suspect you could blow through 4 rounds every 3 weeks pretty consistently.

I will write Peace on your wings
and you will fly around the world
Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 08:55:00 pm »

she is also a fairly smart girl irl. my point is that think of all the magic players you know, or all the people you run into on the internet, they aren't all terribly savvy. Like i said in my initial post, i think anything that gets people to play more vintage is a good thing, but doing this so soon after Nick got his invitational series up and running just seems tacky Ambi, and more likely to lead to brand dilution and confusion amongst players.

Fucking brand dilution, I knew I shouldn't invested in Detwiler's invitational series, I dont expect it to have a good return now.

In my opinion, finding vintage matches on cockatrice without pre-planning is almost impossible. Every time I hop on and see if people are looking for games it is empty, except for TMD invitational pairings. When I try and make a game, I get the "vintage is all cards right?" which basically never ends well.

Egan

ECW
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 09:00:03 pm »

single elim. That way ppl drop as soon as they are out and the event can play out faster in the later rounds. 

I'd also like rather have 2 8 man events, than 1 16 man, again in the interest of time. I suspect you could blow through 4 rounds every 3 weeks pretty consistently.
I buy that argument.  I'll cap this at 8 people, keep it single elim, and let someone else organize another 8-man if they want.

Joblin Velder
Basic User

Useless casual

ninjabot7000@hotmail.com CountRockula999
View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 09:03:53 pm »

I am interested.

Team Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday: I will pee all over myself then we'll see who will end up looking bad.
Yukon Cornelius
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 09:26:13 pm »

Moving past the sarcasm and latent disrespect I think you need to examine what is and is not tacky. Not shaking an opponents hand after losing for example is what most consider tacky. Organizing tournaments for more players to get exposure to a game we all enjoy is not.

credmond
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 09:27:19 pm »

I am interested
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 09:29:12 pm »

The thread title has been changed.  Also, Nick has agreed to be our first prize match.

Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 09:38:15 pm »

Ironic since Yukon JUST hit a double digit post count.

So you're going to compare whose is bigger?  Post count is not indicitive of a person's quality.

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 09:45:48 pm »

First matches must be complete by Dec 23rd: one week from the close of signup.  If all matches complete before then, the next set will be due within a week from all matches complete, and so on.

Lists are due two days from someone volunteering to hold lists. 

Anyone outside the tourney willing to hold lists?

credmond
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 09:51:17 pm »

Actually, I need to pull my entry. I have a schedule conflict I am remembering. You will probably be able to replace me quick by the looks of it. Cheers.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: