TheManaDrain.com
August 22, 2019, 08:21:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TMD Online Invitational II - Ringer Tournament  (Read 3876 times)
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:33:51 pm »

If you're participating in the Ringer tournament, please feel free to use this thread to post your list and a quick recap of your match with your opponent.

Additionally, if you're willing to have spectators, please post the time/date of your match, with the room name, so that we can watch your match.

Good luck to everyone!

"Iíll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
TD
Full Members
Basic User

Plagic86
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:36:32 pm »

Hey Shawn when do you want to do this?

I am currently looking for vintage players in NJ to test with. Please PM me if you are interested.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »

I'll be playing Mark in fifteen minutes on Cockatrice. Any spectators are welcome!

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:56:24 pm »

Double Post!

I was defeated by Mark pretty quickly.

For this event, I decided to try out an interesting deck I saw from Europe. This deck took first and second place in the recent Morphling Cup, as shown here: http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=43801.0

The deck there was played by Alban Lauter and Alexander Bracks.

I modified the deck to my taste, and here is what I played.

2 Island
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Tolarian Academy
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Time Vault
    1 Voltaic Key
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Mana Drain
    3 Mental Misstep
    1 Merchant Scroll
    1 Mystical Tutor
    1 Thirst for Knowledge
    1 Time Walk
    1 Tinker
    1 Lightning Bolt

// Sideboard:
SB: 1 Lightning Bolt
SB: 4 Ingot Chewer
SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
SB: 1 Mountain
SB: 1 Pyroblast
SB: 1 Red Elemental Blast
SB: 1 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 2 Planar Void

I've been playing Snapcaster Mage in Standard, Vintage, and Legacy. I think that he is quite a powerful card. I selected this deck because the list looked strong, it was different than what I've been playing in Vintage lately, and it has proven itself by taking first and second in a tournament with almost 100 people.

Now, onto the games!

Game 1:
I turn on my 80's playlist and am ready to go. Mark fetches an Island.  Ponder, a card that has spelled doom for me before. He stares and draws.  I play Fetch into Sea, Crypt, and Bob. As much self-inflicted damage as possible is my goal. I'm holding Scroll, Drain, Force, Flusterstorm, and a Volc. Mark plays Fish. I Force pitching Drain. His Ancestral, however, does resolve.  I untap, dodge the Crypt, get a Fetchland off Bob, and attack for two. I Merchant Scroll for Ancestral and pass with one mana open.

Mark Vamps on his upkeep, then plays a Sol Ring. Tinker. I Flusterstorm that one. He goes to three cards in hand. I miss the Crypt again and take a Jet off Bob. Land, Ancestral. I think about draining his Misstep, but I'd actually rather hold onto my Drain since I have a Bob out and don't want to drop my guard. Goyf arrives, and I throw a Drain at him. Crypt brings me to 14 and Bob hands me a Key. He then brings Mark to eight.

Mark has Mystical Tutor. I quickly scan his graveyard and decide a Yawgmoth's Will won't be any worse than a Concentrate for me. Not that I have anything but a Mox Jet in hand at this point anyway.  Mark gets back a land from the bin, and Ancestral it is. Unfortunately, Lotus also arrives.  Remora, Sol Ring, Tinker. I untap, and flip BSC to Bob, going right to one. I'm as dead as possible.

Game 2:

I bring in two Red Blasts for a Pearl and a Hurkyl's Recall, have a chat with Bob about giving me better cards when I need them, and begin. I'm still not sure whether defending Ancestral would have been the right play above. That's part of playing an unknown deck, I suppose.

I keep Key, Bolt, Top, Drain, Misstep and two land. Top arrives off Sea. Mark pops his Fetchland for a Trop and I misstep his Remora. Sapphire hits and he passes. I draw Snapcaster, play a land, and pass. Mark has a second land and passes; I spin top. Land, Go. Another Tinker. I Drain. Mark has Force; I pop Fetch and lookÖPBlast, Crypt, Fetch. That's not what I need at all.

I dig with Top, and try to Scroll for Ancestral to find something, but Mark has the other Force as well. I'm defeated quickly.

Well, I didn't last long in those games. I didn't really have a chance to make a reasonable evaluation of the Bob Snapcater deck -- I didn't last long enough to get a feel for how the deck works!

Good luck in the rest of this, Mark!

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Womba
Full Members
Basic User

2011 Vintage World Champion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:04:07 pm »

What do Joe Brown, Jake Gans, and Ryan Glackin all have in common?!?
They top 8ed and/or won Vintage tournaments with 61 card decks. I usually never play 61 but after watching Ryan decimate the field at the NEVS NY event yesterday I decided to play that exact 61 card deck.
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Flusterstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Gush
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3 Mental Misstep
1 Merchant Scroll
4 Mystic Remora
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Ponder
1 Preordain
1 Time Walk
1 Tinker
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Fastbond
3 Tarmogoyf
2 Trygon Predator
1 Black Lotus
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
1 Time Vault
1 Voltaic Key
2 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Tropical Island
3 Underground Sea
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 1 Flusterstorm
SB: 1 Dismember
SB: 1 Sower of Temptation
SB: 2 Yixlid Jailer
SB: 1 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 3 Nature's Claim
SB: 1 Forest
SB: 1 Mindbreak Trap

The only change I made was cutting the 3rd Yixlid Jailer from Ryanís SB from yesterday and made it a Mindbreak Trap. I wanted to respect Dredge but I think seven cards is plenty and I expected more blue decks in this tournament than Dredge.

Game 1:
I have to mulligan to six and see Fetch, Fetch, Underground Sea, Ponder, Vampiric Tutor, and Ancestral Recall (The ďIts ok if you mulliganedĒ card) I crack for an Island as I donít know what Rich is on and I still have access to black with my Sea and the other Fetch for green and Ponder into Sol Ring, Mystical Tutor, and Mystic Remora. I chose to stack it so I would draw Remora first and hopefully bait a Mental Misstep to Ancestral Recall successfully. Instead Rich Forces my Mystic Remora and I then proceed to Ancestral into Sol Ring, Mystical Tutor, and Goyf.
I figure with the amount of gas I have I can try to Tinker without back up here  with the option to drop Goyf and go aggro with him having Crypt and Bob going; I also have Trygon Predator in hand also. Rich counters both the Tinker and Goyf and staring down a Bob I figured I needed to get going or I would quickly fall behind in cards. So with Rich only having one card I figure I need to get something going ASAP, so I Mystical for Yawgmothís Will. I Will and play a land to Ancestral which hits Lotus for me to set up Mystic Remora, Sol Ring into Tinker-BSC, which wins the game.

I sided in Flusterstorm and Mindbreak Trap and took out a Mox Pearl and a Trygon Predator.

Game 2: I open up with Gush, Force, Force, Mox Sapphire, Tinker, Fetch, and Sea as my seven. I then proceed to nut draw into a Remora and a Hurks to give me double Force backup for my TinkerÖ.That one ended kinda quick as per Richís description of the game.

Overall I feel that Vault-Key is a big addition to the deck and I really got to see it in action watching most of Ryan Glackinís games yesterday. Hopefully I can stay as lucky with this for the remainder of the tournament. I feel I didnít necessarily ďplayĒ as much as I would like to have given my draws but that does sometimes happen in VintageÖ.

Oderint Dum Metuant

The Best Dredge player in the world?!?! JAKE GANS!!!!

Team East Coast Wins
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:40:53 pm »

Steve and I are playing now. The room name is TMD Invitational or something like that.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:44:53 pm »

I played:

Maniac Doomsday 2012

4 Doomsday

4 Gush
4 Preordain

4 Force of Will
4 Mental Misstep

3 Flusterstorm
3 Thoughtseize

1 Misdirection
1 Xantid Swarm
1 Duress

1 Fastbond
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Merchant Scroll

1 Brainstorm
1 Ponder
1 Yawgmothís Will
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Hurkylís Recall

2 Trygon Predator

4 Underground Sea
2 Tropical Island
1 Island
7 Fetchland
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Lotus Petal

Sideboard:

4 Leyline of the Void
1 Yixlid Jailer
1 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Xantid Swarm
2 Trygon Predator
2 Hurkylís Recall
1 Forest
2 Nature's Claim

G1: My hand was pretty good.   I think it was: Mental Misstep, Dday, Gush, Flusterstorm, Land, Land, and Trygon Predator,  and I thikn the 8th card was a second Mental MIsstep.

He won the roll, and played Underground SEa.  I played Fetchland, go.  He played turn two Sea, Dark Confidant.

On his endstep, I broke my fetchland and played Vamp.  I was VERY surprised that He forced pitching Intuition.   I was going to get Lotus, and then untap and win the game with Flusterstorm protection.  

Instead, I untapped and drew Force.  I then Gushed and cast Trygon.  
He flipped a WG Dragon, and took 6 damage.  Then I attacked him and killed a lotus.  

I played Fastbond, then passed, then played Yawg Will and won with Tendrils.  

I sideboarded.

G2: My opening hand was something like: Trop, Preordain, Petal, Dday, Gush, Misstep, Thoughsteize

He played: Jet, Lotus, Sea.

I played Trop, Preordain, and saw Tarn and another Dday.  I bottomed Dday, and then drew Tarn.   I decided -- unwisely, to play Thoughtzeis here.   I played it and he responded with Read the Runes for 1, discarding BSC.  He then revealed Bazaar * 2 & Sea.  I was dissappointed.

He then played bazaar and used it, and passed.

I untapped and played Tarn, and passed.

He played Oona, which I let resolve.  My only other choice was to Gush and hope to draw a Force.  Instead, I thought I had a better chance of trying to combo out with Dday, although I needed some really good draws.

Unfortunately, the card I drew next was Vamp, which sucks when he has Oona.  I Gushed and played two Xantid Swarms, and passed.   He played a Bob, and he eventually overwhelmed me.

G3: My opening hand was the worst yet: 4 lands, Petal, Dday, and Force.  I probably should have mulled.  But I kept.  I drew another land, and decided to Dday anyway on turn 2.

I ddayed this pile:

Flusterstorm
Gush
Maniac
Flusterstorm
Gush

He flipped Extirpate in game 2, so I thought he might have one. I  wanted a pile that wouldn't really matter that much of the order.  

he had turn one top.   I drew Flusterostmr, then Gushed, which he let resolve, and I drew Maniac and Flusterostmr.   He extirpated, which actually helped me out with Maniac on the stack.  Manic resolved.  He untapped and tried to Repeal it, which I forced pitching Flusterstorm.  I ended the game witha  Flusterstorm in hand and a land untapped.  

Ggs Rich M.  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:33:33 am by Smmenen » Logged

Slayn001
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:23:14 pm »

lost 0-2 to onslaught because he had a thousand hurkyls and i had to mulligan to 5. Like every single one of my recent games, i may as well have not even bothered playing as he just goldfished.

Team Topdeck Games.
Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

this is me reading your posts

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:24 pm »

I won 2-0 over slayn001 using Suicide Tendrils. He was playing Workshops with Rishadan Port, Smokestack, etc.

G1:
He goes first and wins the roll, opens with Chalice for 0, Workshop, Trinisphere. Uhh, that sucks. Luckily for me he doesn't have any pressure outside of that. The rest of the game is him laying a Sphere, a Chalice for 1 (which I responded to with Recall), and that's about it. He Ported me a few times and played a Metamorph copying Sphere, but by then I had already been able to Demonic for Hurkyl's. He ramped Smokestack to one and passed, I played Hurks, untapped and won with Lotus/Yawg's.

G2:
I board in a zillion cards and still have to leave in some completely dead cards vs. him. My opening hand is two lands, two Hurk's, and some Rituals. He mulled to five and opened with T1 Rishadan Port, T2 Tomb/Tangle Wire. He eventually played another Tangle Wire, and then played Emerald/Workshop/Lodestone. I had to discard a few times during the double Tangle Wire turn (including a Hurk's, but it was my third one at that point), but my hand was still good. I played Hurks on my upkeep to get rid of Lodestone, dropped a Sea, Lotus, Ritual, Demonic Consult for Ritual (woulda won if I called Will), Ritual again, Snapcaster flashing a Ritual, Tendrils to put him to 2 life. I coulda been riskier and just gone for the win on the Consult, or I could have flashed back Consult with Snapcaster and tried to call a Mox to just kill him outright, but I had Hurk's in hand so I played conservative. He couldn't use his Ancient Tomb and he obviously had to play Lodestone to block Snapcaster, so he didn't have enough mana to play a Tangle Wire as well. Hurk's bounced Lodestone for the game.

I would say that they were good games, but they actually weren't. I guess my opponent agrees too, because he quit without saying anything. Shrug!

I guess I play Steve next, which should be interesting. Doomsday vs. Rituals...hmmm.

My list:
4 Dark Confidant
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
3 Night's Whisper
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Duress
3 Mental Misstep
1 Imperial Seal
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
2 Grim Tutor
4 Dark Ritual
1 Cabal Ritual
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Lotus Petal
1 Necropotence
1 Yawgmoth's Will
2 Tendrils of Agony
4 Polluted Delta
2 Marsh Flats
3 Underground Sea
4 Swamp
1 Island
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Demonic Consultation
SB: 3 Dismember
SB: 1 Yixlid Jailer
SB: 3 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 1 Chain of Vapor
SB: 1 Island
SB: 1 Rebuild
SB: 1 Sadistic Sacrament

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 12:13:09 am »

I think I miss posted my deck list with 59 cards. The 60th card is misdirection

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:36:13 am »

when are we supposed to play?

Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 01:03:54 am »

Most weeknights after 6PM PST are fine for me, what works for you?
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 08:51:09 am »

Sorry for the delay.  The last match, of TD vs. Grand Inquisitor is confirmed.  Gents, please discuss when the best time to play your match is and be sure to put the information (including decklists) up in this thread.

"Iíll break my staff,
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 11:16:41 pm »

The match between GI and TD never came to pass, and in the interest of moving the event along, I took up the banner and played TD.

TD was on Landstill, a deck which he is famous for in the NY-PA region.  I played an updated version of Espresso Stax.

My list:

1 Black Lotus
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Sol Ring
4 Sphere of Resistance
2 Thorn of Amethyst
2 Crucible of Worlds
4 Tangle Wire
1 Trinisphere
4 Lodestone Golem
4 Phyrexian Metamorph
4 Smokestack
3 Karn, the Silver Golem
1 Strip Mine
1 Tolarian Academy
3 Mishra's Factory
3 Rishadan Port
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Mishra's Workshop
4 Wasteland

SB:

3 Dismember
4 Tormod's Crypt
3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Duplicant
3 Maze of Ith

Going into the match I had hoped to see that TD would not be on Landstill.  So much for that.  Beyond that, TD was running Engineered Explosives in his list and man were they good over the course of our match.

G1: I don't really remember game one, but I believe that Lodestones showed up.

G2: TD and I trade Waste effects and tempo for a little while.  He eventually drops a Standstill.  I didn't board in the Mazes for game two, though, looking back, I should have.  They're another card that 'deads' his attackers and potentially sets me up well to fight a Standstill.  I did board in my Mazes for game three, though I never saw them.  After dropping the Standstill we played draw/go for a while.  I was hoping to establish enough Wastes/Ports/Factories that TD would be forced to break his Standstill.  I kept drawing mana though and I had a hand full of gas.  With TD on a full grip, I Ported him down to no blue mana on my turn and decided to go for it, dropping a Sphere (Force), Stack (resolved), Stack (resolved) and Crucible (Force), holding Karn and (I believe) another Stack in hand.  TD pops one Stack.  I drop a Karn and beat him down to low single digits.  Then TD drops an Energy Flux.  Flux got him a win here, as that, combined with an EE at one to pop a Sol Ring, held me back.  TD won on one life.

G3:  We both mull and I keep a hand that has some business.  TD kept the mana denial hand and he had a Drain to feed into an Ingot Chewer to boot.  I'm very far behind, but TD has used two Forces and doesn't have the counter for the Crucible that I drop.  A Tangle Wire holds him down while I slowly eat away at his mana base.  A Greater Gargadon from him keeps the game interesting, but I had a Sphere on the board, then resolved a Lodestone.  Some Lodestone beats bring him down and the game isn't decided yet.  Then I draw Lodestone number two.  He's unable to Force because of the two Sphere effects on the board and it's off to the next round for me.

It was great to see TD playing, as he's one of the true gentlemen of the game, even if he is a Mets fan...

Pairings for the next round are updated.  If you're involved in the next round, please contact your opponent and set a date/time, which you publish on TMD.

Good luck to the others!

"Iíll break my staff,
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:03 am »

Mark and I are going to try to play our match tonight, at 10pm.  Updates will be put up in this thread, along with the room name/password, when we're set up.

"Iíll break my staff,
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Commandant
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 04:27:44 pm »

Mark and I are going to try to play our match tonight, at 10pm.  Updates will be put up in this thread, along with the room name/password, when we're set up.

Looking forward to it. Sorry if pester you with Workshop questions post match!

Quote from: David Ochoa
Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 04:35:27 pm »

Looking forward to it. Sorry if pester you with Workshop questions post match!

Not a problem.  If you'd like to ask specific questions, feel free to join the roster of people who PM me with Shop questions.  I'll reply as soon as I can.

"Iíll break my staff,
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 09:44:58 pm »

Prospero vs. Womba is up and my match against Mark will begin shortly!  There's no password required.

"Iíll break my staff,
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 10:17:33 pm »

Steve and I are tentatively scheduled to play this weekend, and it looks like the winner of us will face Prospero in the finals. Workshops vs. Doomsday Gush or Workshops vs. Rituals, uh oh.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:22 pm »

Well, I drew some good hands tonight.

Game one featured Shop/3Sphere with Mark on a mull to 6.  He didn't have the Force and I had a pair of Ports, along with some Wastes, to string things along until Lodestone and friends showed up to the party.

Game two featured Mark trying to get some value out of a Mystic Remora, which he dropped with a Pearl and Sol Ring on turn one.  I had a mana denial hand that featured a Strip Mine and a Waste.  I Stripped him, played a Sphere (netting him the only card he'd draw off Remora) on the following turn.  I kept up the pressure on his mana base, as Mark continued to play non-basics while I continued to play Wastes.  Eventually Mark was forced to let his Remora go, at which point I started building Spheres on him.  I had hit an absurd amount of mana, so I was able to continue building while he was still looking to hit more lands.  I had a Lodestone or two dealt with before a Smokestack came down and sealed the game up.

So, it's on to the finals.  I didn't expect to be playing in this event.  I'm listed as Desolutionist in the pairings.  But I'll see the winner of Onslaught/Smmenen sometime next week!

"Iíll break my staff,
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:34 pm »

I was able to win 2-0 over Smmenen with some strong draws.

G1:

I mull to 6 and keep a hand of Sapphire, Recall, Misstep, Misstep, Probe, and Ritual. He opens with Preordain and a Mox, I draw for turn and Probe and whiff on land, but I got another Ritual and a Night's Whisper. His hand has a Flusterstorm, Doomsday, Gush, and Trygon at this point. He taps out for the Trygon, so I'm willing to Sapphire for Recall to find land now. Luckily for me I topdeck a Sea anyway, Ritual into Night's Whisper, another Ritual, Duress his Doomsday, Sapphire, Recall, he Gushes in response but doesn't find anything, another Night's Whisper (which nets me Lotus), and I drop a Bob. He swings me down to 12 with Trygon and blows up my Sapphire, next turn I attack and drop another Bob. Dual Bob attacks, then another set of Bob attacks into Therapy/Demonic Tutor for Yawgmoth's won it for me, he didn't really draw anything else the rest of the game.

I ended this game with 3 Misstep in my hand, so I kinda wish I had been more aggressive and countered his Preordain.

G2:

I contemplate boarding in Leylines, but instead just do -1 Swamp -1 Hurks +1 Chain +1 Sadistic Sacrament. My opening hand is super solid, with Bob, Ritual, Therapy, Snapcaster, Misstep, Jet, Land. He opens with Preordain, I open with Ritual/Therapy (blind naming Gush which hits)/Bob. His hand has Trygon, Merchant Scroll, 2 lands, and a Ponder. I feel like I'm in great shape at this point, since he can Scroll for Ancestral and I'll probably win the fight over it. He Demonic Tutors the turn after, cutting off my ability to flash Therapy unless I wanted to guess again. I reveal a Ritual to Bob, swing, and lay a Mox to put Snapcaster online. If he plays Trygon to threaten the Mox, I'd be fine with him tapping out and giving me more time to find juice. He untaps and plays Ancestral, which I Misstep. He Ponders, and since I know the rest of his hand is slow I go ahead and flash Snapcaster to Misstep that too. I swing for 4 and drop another Bob. My sudden creature rush has him at 12, and he drops a Trygon. My two Bob flips are Tendrils and Duress, which pretty much seals it up. He was tapped out, so after swinging with everyone I flashed Therapy naming FOW, revealing a Misdirection, Flusterstorm, and the earlier Scroll. Duress the MisD, Ritual, Mox, Tendrils for game.

His draws were pretty poor, but I still think one of the strengths of the deck became evident at the end there. If he was able to hold up mana for Flusterstorm, I probably could not have won that turn. But, random creature beats forced him to play the Trygon for defense. Snapcaster is just so useful, it's crazy.

Thanks for the games Steve, and now I'm off to the worst possible matchup against Prospero!
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 08:58:56 pm »

G1: I keep a sketchy hand: Trygon *2, Preordain, land, Gush, and Flusterstorm.  Turn one Preordain sees DT & Sapphire.  I bottom DT, and take Sapphire and put it into play.

He plays turn one Probe, then passes the turn after a mulligan.

I draw Hurkyls Recall on my turn, and pass back.   He plays turn two Sapphire, and I endstep Hurkyl's him to force him to discard a card, which he does -- Snapcaster Mage.  He replays the Sapphire, and passes.

I untap and draw Tropical Island and cast Trygon.

He untaps and draws a Sea and plays Duress and takes my Doomsday.    Then he plays Sapphire Ancestral!  I decide to Gush since I have Misds and MM in my deck.  Unfortunately, I draw a Tendrils of agony and Lotus.  He plays Land, Ritual, NJight's Whisper, Confidant, and He passes the turn.  

I draw a land.  I play a land and attack him. I debate whether to Lotus Tendrils him here, but decide to wait a turn. If i draw anything, I can kill him.  Then he untaps and plays another Confidant after revealing Petal and Hurkyl's.

I untap, and draw ANOTHER land.  I attack him. I don't feel like I have a choice, I play Lotus Tendrils, Attack, and send him to hree.

He untaps and doesn't lose the game.  He reveals Cabal Therapy and a land.  He then plays Ritual DT and I scoop.  He can ritual, ritual, lotus will.  

G2: I sideboard out Xantid Swarm and a land for Spellbomb and a 3rd Trygon.

I keep a hand that is like: Scroll, Preordain, Land, Land, land, Flusterstorm, Trygon,

I play turn one Preordain, and see Gush and Lab Maniac.  I bottom Maniac.

He plays turn one Ritual, Cabal Therapy, naming Gush, then Bob.  

I draw DT and decide to DT rather than Scroll.  I DT for Ancestral, and pass.  

He flips Tendrils, plays a Mox, and passes the turn.

I untap and draw Misd and debate what to do.   I can play Ancestral, and if he has MM, I can't Misd it.  I thikn about leading with Ponder, but if I do that, it will suck to Ponder then Ancestral, and I want to scroll post Ancestral.   I lead with Ancestral, and of course, he has MM.  Worse yet, when I ponder, he has Snapcaster mage.   I begin to think I misplayed this turn.

At that point, I pass the turn with Scroll, Flusterstorm, Trygon,and Misd in hand.

He flips another bob, and plays another.   I untap and cast Trygon.  He attacks me, and I block Snapcaster.   Unfortunately, he has another land AND the ritual (of course).  And I scoop cause I'm at 8 life.

GGs.  I definitely misplayed several times, but more importantly, I drew like crap, and my opponent exploited my problems.   good luck against Nick D Smile

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:29:17 pm by Smmenen » Logged

Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 09:02:10 pm »

Oh yeah whoops, I left out the luckiest part of G1 where you played Lotus/Tendrils to put me at 3, and then my Bob flips were Petal/Land.
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 09:11:43 pm »

Oh yeah whoops, I left out the luckiest part of G1 where you played Lotus/Tendrils to put me at 3, and then my Bob flips were Petal/Land.

Yeah, I would have played it a turn earlier, but I felt that if I draw almost anything in my deck, I get one more storm, and can win the game.

It was frustrating to play 4 force, 4 mental misstep, 4 duress effects, 3 flusterostmr, and 1 misd, and only draw 2 flusterstorm and 1 misd in the course of TWO games. 

I was probably way too greed to keep my game one hand.   Had you mm my t1 preordain, i probably lose.   

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 08:56:44 am »

The finals will be played out tonight, at 9pm EST, on Cockatrice as Onslaught and I finish the second TMD Invitational.  As soon as the room is up, I'll post the room name here.  Spectators are welcome.

"Iíll break my staff,
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 09:02:01 am »

The finals will be played out tonight, at 9pm EST, on Cockatrice as Onslaught and I finish the second TMD Invitational.  As soon as the room is up, I'll post the room name here.  Spectators are welcome.

Thanks for announcing this! Smile

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 08:50:01 pm »

Prospero vs. Onslaught is up.  There's no password and spectators are welcome.  I'll have a quick recap up as soon as the match is over.

"Iíll break my staff,
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:17 pm »

Congratulations to Onslaught, who took me down in 3.

Game one I kept an opener that was sure to be good against Onslaught's Forino Sui Black variant.  I opened on Chalice 0, Chalice 1 and followed with sphere effects, including one on a 5/3 body.

Game two I had probably the worst turn I've had in four or five years as I play not one, but two spells into a Chalice 2.  I smelled blood in the water and was looking to end it quick, not paying attention to my own board state.  Bad, bad, bad plays on my part.

Game three I get what I deserve, as I mull to five and knock him pretty low before losing to the second Hurkyl's Recall.

Man, let's hope that this was just about getting the mistakes out of the way now.  That was some bad Magic...

Anyways, congrats again, Onslaught!

There will be another TMD Community/Ringer tournament in the near future.  Signups will probably begin towards the end of February. 

"Iíll break my staff,
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Onslaught
Full Members
Basic User

SmoothCriminalRW
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 09:49:03 pm »

Some interesting matches, especially G3.

G1:

I mull to 6 and he goes first. He has the smart opener of Chalice for 0, Chalice for 1. I have a Swamp and pass, he has Thorn of Amethyst. I play Underground Sea and pass, he Wastes it and drops Lodestone the turn after.

G2:

In: Island, Yixlid Jailer, Rebuild, Chain of Vapor, Dismember x3, Hurks x3
Out: Misstep x3, Duress x3, Therapy x2, Probe x1, Night's Whisper x1

He mulls to 6 and I keep. I open with Island, Brainstorm (putting 2 lands back), Probe revealing Lodestone, Thorn, Wasteland, and think about going for it. Instead I drop Lotus and Jet and pass the turn. He plays Workshop, Chalice for 1, Mox, Sphere. I play a Delta and pass, he drops Lodestone. I untap and play Bob, then take a hit from Lodestone while he plays a Port. My Island is ported, so I just drop a Delta and pass. I considered playing Hurk's in response to the Port and hoping Bob/my draw for turn/Probe in hand/2 Probes off Will would be enough to find a Tendrils, but I decided to wait. Worst case scenario he makes me pop Hurk's before his next EOT, and my hand has Chain. On his turn he plays Chalice at 2, I respond with Hurk's, He can redrop Lodestone here and I THINK I'm ok, I will chain it and then Will (my Lotus was still sitting comfortably in play). Instead there was an error where he recast Sphere and Chalice at 1 which are prevented by the Chalice. I revealed Snapcaster to Bob, and drew Tendrils for the turn, a bunch of Probes and Ritual/Lotus/Will later I was lethal.

G3:

I am really happy with my opening hand of 3 land and Bob with some other goodies. He has to mull to 5, and opens with Tomb/Sphere. After my land/pass, he plays a Factory and passes. I draw a Jet for the turn, so I went land, pay for Jet, pay 2 for Ritual, Bob - so ghetto. He is low on juice from the Mull and drops Metamorph copying Bob. This is where things get interesting.

"Combat math, in MY Vintage? It's more likely than you think."

Bob keeps feeding me land, too much of it in fact, and I'm sitting for a long time with a hand of Ritual/Will/Hurks/Infinity Land. I had a feeling that he was 1 behind on casting his Lodestone, so I played a blind Therapy and hit it. I also saw Karn. I didn't mind losing my Mox since I had drawn Every Land Ever, and Bob could block Karn all day. His Bob flips were friendly, but Mana Crypt and Tomb were sapping his life. After drawing Yixlid Jailer I felt like I was in great position, surely his Metamorphed Bob would kill him as I continued blocking. Nope! More good reveals, and Karn ate his Mana Crypt. There were a lot of gut wrenching decisions (for me at least) involving combat steps, and the turning point was when he sent in Factory and Bob, holding back Karn. I could have played Hurk's, but he hadn't played his land for the turn (he revealed Port to Bob, so I figured he was holding it back to be able to redrop Factory). My life was low enough at this point that my 3 fetchlands in play were becoming likely dead cards, so I was afraid of being locked off from Hurk's due to not having enough mana. I sent in Bob and Jailer, he blocked Bob with an animated Sphere and Karn walled Jailer. He sent in enough attackers next turn to drop me to 4. I drew a Hurk's for the turn and almost played it mainphase to clear the way for Jailer. That would have been quite stupid of me. I also had the option of playing Hurk's to clear out Chalice and give me access to Brainstorm, which may have found something to let me go off (Yawg Will in hand). Instead I just played defense, waiting for Metamorphed Bob to kill him. He revealed Tangle Wire, dropped Port to animate stuff, and swung with everyone. Hurk's bounced his people, he redropped Karn and passed, and another Hurk's allowed Jailer to swing for game. Yixlid Jailer MVP!

G3 is probably one of the more interesting games I've had against Workshops, even though it was brought about his unfortunate mull to 5. Whenever I see Metamorph copying Bob it's usually a disaster, but it was an awesome move that nearly won him the game. Thanks for the games, and the tournament itself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: