TheManaDrain.com
August 22, 2019, 05:49:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Report] Dark Ascension Prerelease in Connecticut  (Read 757 times)
Nantuko Rice
Basic User

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2012, 01:43:56 pm »

Writing this for fun because I only play Limited formats these days, and I like sharing stories! Especially flavorful ones, and Innistrad is just oozing with flavor!

Sealed Deck on January 28, 2011 - Dark Ascension Prerelease

The Deck: 17 Creatures, 6 Spells, 1 Evolving Wilds, 1 Island, 8 Swamps, 7 Mountains

Diregraf Ghoul, Typhoid Rats, Forge Devil, Gravecrawler   
Manor Skeleton, Bloodcrazed Neonate, Snapcaster Mage, Black Cat
Crossway Vampire, Markov Patrician, Chosen of Markov, Reap the Seagraf, Stromkirk Captain   
Falkenrath Noble
Scourge of Geier Reach, Nearheath Stalker
Flayer of the Hatebound

Undying Evil, Traffic Fall
Harvest Pyre
Brimstone Volley
Wrack with Madness
Death’s Caress

MVP: Snapcaster Mage and Undying Evil. I finally learn how busted Snapcaster Mage is (even in limited formats) – See Round 3. Undying is also the roundhouse kick of mechanics – Undying Evil is instant speed for one black mana and gives you card advantage while triggering both graveyard and enter play effects.

Most Flavorful Card: Tragic Fall

Favorite Card of the New Set: Black Cat (cmon this is the internet, everyone loves cats!)

Round 1: Mike with W/R
Game 1: Mike stuck on red mana while facing down my Diregraf Ghoul and Bloodcrazed Neonate. Despite a Rolling Temblor, my bloodlusting vampire was surely one of Undying Evil, coming back from the grave and then growing even bigger with every ensuing turn.
Game 2: Mike made it impossible to attack with his pair of Undying – Flayer of the Hatebound and Nearheath Stalker. He pointed all ten damage at me though, and left my creatures alive. We continue to trade creatures in combat. Despite his undying team, somehow I come out on top while barely clinging to life. Pointing damage at life is a touch decision… but it’s a decision I would make myself throughout the day.

Round 2: Carol with W/U
Game 1: Carl activated a Delver and grew it with Faiths of Bond. I answered it with a Wrack with Madness. I put together some bodies to face against his Stitched Drake. I attack in to it with a Markov Patrician and attempt to finish the drake with a Forge Devil, but he has the Saving Grasp. Unfortunately, he is unable to find body parts in his graveyard to reassemble the creature. He starts putting up some resistance but Falkenrath Noble keeps me in the game as creatures start dying all around. He eventually casts the Drake again, but it’s one man to five. I seal the deal by casting and flashbacking Reap the Seagraf. One drake can’t hold off the swarm alone.
Game 2: A fast beginning with creatures dying throughout the battlefield. Carl shows me a Bone to Ash from his Delver that I must play around the whole game. Carl summons a Beguiler of Wills and I knew I had to do something. I play Flayer of the Hatebound as bait for the counterspell… but that lets me Cast Forge Devil to kill the blue wizard that was sure to end the game in Carl’s favor. It was all over after that, as I churned out more creatures than Carl could handle.

Round 3: Ryan with R/B
Game 1: Quick battle over creatures.
Game 2: We both try to start the game quickly with Bloodcrazed Neonates. Ryan’s suffers a Tragic Fall, while mine is toasted by Fires of Undeath. The board starts to stalemate as I summon a Flayer of the Hatebound, but Ryan summons a Charmbreaker Devils. Fires of Undeath continues to eat my creatures, while carefully avoiding the Flayer. I have to hold back on defense because those Charmbreaker Devils were threatening to deal 12 points of damage in an attack step. I start throwing out two to three bodies at a time, but Ryan had additional removal. Finally, I think of the key spell to win this duel between devils and curse my Markov Patrician with Undying Evil as the vampire is hit with Fires of Undeath. The Flayer sensed the Patrician’s return to the battlefield with greater strength (the +1/+1 counter) and slung forth the hatred (4 damage) at the Devils on the other side to kill it. (As a bonus, lifelink!) To seal the deal, during Ryan’s attack step, I threw down Snapcaster Mage, who summoned Undying Evil for himself. The mage died in combat, and came back even stronger, allowing the Flayer to deal 3 points of damage to Ryan. With his return, the Mage brought back a Tragic Fall to kill the Flayer! Ryan took another 5 damage as the Flayer came back, which was enough to deplete Ryan of his life.

Round 4: ? with U/W/B
Game 1: He has Grimgrin on his side but not many bodies to feed. My Flayer of the Hatebound, survives an attack step from Grimgrin and points 5 damage to my opponent’s face. I swing back with my team, leaving Flayer behind. I summon Nearheath Stalker, which stumbles and Tragically Falls. As the stalker comes back to life, the Flayer finishes my opponent with another lashing for 5.
Game 2: Quite the change up in gameplay. My opponent Gathers the Townfolk, finds Midnight Hauntings and Lingering Souls, and Reaps the Seagraf numerous times. That’s all.
Game 3: His Black Cat holds off my army because I am holding Scourge of Geier Reach and Nearheath Stalker. Once I play them, the Scourge begins to pick off creatures each turn, until becoming the Victim of Night. My opponent’s Geistcatcher’s Rig feels Death’s Caress and my remaining cats, rats, and zombies swarm through negligible defenses.

Round 5: Alex with U/W
Game 1: Nearing the end for me, my Falkenrath Noble is able to keep me alive despite all odds. Alex has Lantern Spirit, Silverclaw Griffin, Niblis of the Mist, Acavynian Priest, and Galvanic Juggernaut. I have a few blockers and Falkenrath Noble. I attack with the Noble, expecting to die the next turn regardless. However, an instant speed Hollowhenge Spirit is summoned to block the Noble. The Noble takes a short trip to the graveyard since he is imbued with Undying Evil, but the Noble is still unable to answer the Silverclaw Griffin. However, this gives me enough life to survive one more turn. I need a second mountain (to draw the game) to play Crossway Vampire, have Noble attack Alex down to 2 life. Use a removal spell to kill the Priest to put Alex down to 1 life, then any attack (from his side and with me blocking) will result in a draw as both player’s lifepoints would go to zero simultaneously.
Game 2: I begin with a lowly Crossway Vampire, which must deal with the Burden of Guilt. That’s what won Alex the game. The life totals at the end were him at 3; and me at 2 before I died. Falkenrath Noble had put up a good fight for me this game as well. However, if only that lowly crossway vampire was able to get in one attack step there would have been a Game 3. We discuss about how sometimes you just have to blow your removal spells on grey ogres and grizzly bears.

That’s it! 4-0 in 5 rounds, won 6 booster packs. Opened two Gravecrawlers and a Foil Huntmaster of the Fells! Woo!

Love the flavor of Innistrad as well as the gameplay!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: