TheManaDrain.com
September 23, 2019, 05:06:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Duck Rolling Tourney #1  (Read 5421 times)
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:01:28 pm »

New experiment...I'm wondering if people will be interested or not.  Feedback welcome and appreciated!

Dark Ascension is LEGAL for this tourney.

I'm going to start a 4-player single elimination bracket every time the prior rolling bracket fills up.  Rules are very similar to the TMD online invitational:
1. Games are played publicly on Cockatrice
2. Players have at most a week to complete each match.
3. Lists must be posted after all round 1 matches are complete.
3a. You cannot change lists between rounds.
3b. You must show your list at the beginning of each match after the first so your opponent can verify against your posted list.
4. Prize is the opportunity to play a featured match against a well-recognized member of the Vintage community.  (Volunteers?)
5. Drops after the bracket is drawn are final.  Nobody can fill that slot.
6. Brackets will be fully randomized.  There will be no preference or "seeds" of any kind.

Registration will be closed once we have 4 people.  At that point, a new rolling tourney will be posted.

Players signed up as of last update:
1. Ruboonia
2. A.-1.
3. Guli
4. Grand Inquisitor

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:01:51 pm by AmbivalentDuck » Logged

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Ruboonia
Basic User

Duck Online Tournament #1 Champion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:29:29 pm »

Sure, I'm in. Duck #7 filled WAY too fast.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:02:57 pm »

Sure, I'm in. Duck #7 filled WAY too fast.
Yeah, that's the problem I'm trying to solve.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:40:18 pm »

Seven filled before I even noticed it.

I guess I'll sign up for this one.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 10:33:50 am »

Stop the bracket at 4 or 8?

A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:58:04 pm »

Four would probably be better.

Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:52:49 am »

Still room? I would play if there is.

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:40:34 pm »

Still room? I would play if there is.
By the design of this tourney, there is ALWAYS still room.

When the next person signs up, a tourney starts Smile

Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 02:30:13 pm »

+1

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 02:59:59 pm »

That's a bracket.

Guli vs Ruboonia
Grand Inquisitor vs A.-1.

A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 12:08:40 am »

GI won in two before Cockatrice crashed. GGs

Grand Inquisitor
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 08:42:51 am »

Yeah, gg's A1.

G1 - After a good start, A1 can't find a clock to finish me off and I have active LoA.  I eventually bounce board to set up a YawgTendrils.

G2 - I have more defense to start with multiple bounce and FoWs, but now it's my turn to draw dead.  My basics carry me through the midgame against Crucible/Waste but RPorts are a pain.  Pithing Needle finally stops the bleeding from factory beats.  I'm able to stave off multiple lodestones with counters and intuitino>ingot chewer, but I have to burn Yawgwill to get rid of his smokestack (no other gain).  Finally I'm able to sneak in Heretic, my last real out, and he goes the distance.

My list is basically this:
http://morphling.de/printview.php?c=1538&d=1

but I'll wait til I'm home to post my actual just in case there's slight changes.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:00:29 am by Grand Inquisitor » Logged

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 05:18:07 pm »

Reminder to Guli and Ruboonia: play your game.

Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 07:30:56 am »

Well I tried, I don't know what went wrong but Ruboonia asked me to meet at cockatrice twice and I think I was there at the correct time.

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 11:06:02 am »

Well I tried, I don't know what went wrong but Ruboonia asked me to meet at cockatrice twice and I think I was there at the correct time.
Well, the match is past due, so I'll award a match loss and record Guli as the winner? 

Any response from Ruboonia?

Ruboonia
Basic User

Duck Online Tournament #1 Champion

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 02:09:59 pm »

Got smoked by Guli 2-0. It was tough finding a time to play, but we managed. Smile
Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 02:45:15 pm »

This was the list:

1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Emerald
4 Windswept Heath
3 Savannah
1 Strip Mine
3 Forest
1 Plains
4 Wasteland
1 Wooded Foothills
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Scryb Ranger
3 Stony Silence
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Mental Misstep
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Great Sable Stag
3 Elvish Spirit Guide
3 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Gaddock Teeg
3 Mikaeus, the Lunarch
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Qasali Pridemage
SB: 4 Nature's Claim
SB: 3 Scavenging Ooze
SB: 2 Thrun, the Last Troll
SB: 3 Porcelain Legionnaire
SB: 1 Great Sable Stag
SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 1 Stony Silence

G1 was not an easy keep: I had strip and emerald but no other mana source. My experience with the deck did tell me that I would get a land or fetch soon enough. I also had 3 Mental Misstep and Stony silence. I kept, and he mullled which was also an important factor since I had strip. He opened with island and I stripped it played emerald and passed. Then he put in a fetch and passed. Then I just pass the turn. At two mana he has Sea and Island and goes for demonic tutor. It was not that hard to guess that he went for A recall. He had to mull so he was low on cards. I was happy with my missteps at that time.  I draw a wasteland and target his Sea and pass the turn. I am pretty sure his recall is not going to resolve, but I am still waiting for a mana source, have threats in hand. Then he goes for it and I had to triple misstep because he had misstep too and a FoW (ditching snap). After that I get noble in and then the rest follows (thalia, stony, ...) and he can't recover.

I saw a snapcaster mage game 1 being pitched to FoW: I figured it is some kind of jace, snap, bob blue control with tinker
I side out thruns (no need for them this is not versus landstill) and qasali. And I get in the 4th Stony, the Ooze and the 3th Stable (since its pro black and blue and can't be countered).

G2 was also not an easy keep: I had a lot of threats but only 1 fetch and 1 noble. I also had 2 stp so I was relatively safe vs tinker. There was Ooze, thalia and Mikaeus too. He starts with LOA and I feel a bit nervous already. I respond by saying that CA doesn't matter when things get going (a joke) but I know better of course. I open with Noble and it resolves. I also draw misstep which makes me happy because I have some interaction now. He starts the CA with loa and drops a fetch and passes. Then I cast Thalia. He responds with Mystical and I misstep it. Everything resolves. Then he follows up with 2 moxes to negate the effect of Thalia for the coming turns. He has 1 jet untapped and passes the turn. So he can FoW, but I have to do something. I figured I try to get Mikaeus going and try to snatch up my bears a bit in the event of massacre or something like that. And if he massacres before I can do so, i would have Ooze to targets in grave. I didn't like this plan but yea could not really do much more. Also, when Mikaeus is online and you topdeck a Scryb ranger, its fun time. This does not happen but I do get another STP. I sense he is going for tinker but I have 3 stp now in hand. The game goes on for a while, he tutors draws some, dismembers my thalia. I meanwhile get some counters on Mikaues and get a 4th STP. This doesn't make me happy, even if he goes for Tinker this is overkill. He goes for tinker and I STP it. Of course he FoW and Drains the first 2 at end of his combat phase, but the third resolves (on my turn). I play Ooze and do not attack with the Mika. I want to wait. If he does massacre, at least my ooze survives. If he Jaces, then I can still chooe what to pump in response. The endgame all plays around Ooze and mana. He tries to snap mage (which I brought ooze in for from side) and I exile the target. They he wills but I had a black lotus on the table and I reduce the power of Y will immensly. I pick demonic, tinker and crypt. he has 3 mana. He kills my ooze (expected) but I still have Mika around.

Mikaeus pumps up my noble's and elvish spirit guides for the win. GG's

Thanks

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 09:05:20 am »

Got smoked by Guli 2-0. It was tough finding a time to play, but we managed. Smile
Woohoo!  Way better to record matches than to hand out losses. Smile

Guli vs GI

Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 08:14:24 am »

I sadly have to report that GI left the game after I pointed him out that he didn't post his list in this thread and that he was running a different list.

This happened in Game 2 by the way.

Well actually it was game 3. Because in game 1 he played a list that was not the correct list either (see link he posted in this thread). He did point out that he would post his actual list later on in that post but he never did. So then he sends me a list through a PM on cockatrice. But that is also not the correct list. I honestly did not see the PM because we were busy with loading reloading and talking in the game. I win game 1, which we restarted and I assumed he was running the list he posted here, and we board.

In game 2 he casts intuition and reveals a Dark Ritual. I check his list and don't see a ritual. I point it out and he gets mad and says something about attitudes in general. Then he leaves.

Not the way I wanted to do this but yea...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:18:15 am by Guli » Logged

Grand Inquisitor
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 11:11:44 am »

This was a big communication snafu.

I didn't realize which tournament this was for so I started with the wrong list loaded.  After we cleared this up, I sent Guli a chat with a copy of the list and reference to my note that the linked list (above) is not the exact list.  That is it's not that I altered the list from my games with A1, but I altered the linked list before beginning the tournament in general.

What I took to be Guli being obtuse was probably just a misunderstanding.  Still, I was frustrated by him not understanding the situation and wierd claims about me losing certain games and what I perceived to be rules lawyering.  Anyway, this is not a big deal.  The two games were fun outside of the discussions about decklist.

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 08:49:53 pm »

The two games were fun outside of the discussions about decklist.

In game 2 he casts intuition and reveals a Dark Ritual. I check his list and don't see a ritual.

Since this is the second time there have been issues with GI presenting a decklist that's different from what's posted, I have to do...something.

Match loss for GI and a warning of some sort that'll eventually have to turn into a suspension if it recurs.

Grand Inquisitor
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 11:29:19 pm »

The lack of communication continues.

Since this is the second time there have been issues with GI presenting a decklist that's different from what's posted, I have to do...something.

This is not what happened.  I made this comment above:

but I'll wait til I'm home to post my actual just in case there's slight changes.

I may not have posted it here, but I presented the decklist to Guli in advance of G1 and outside of a major brain-fart on his part, I can't understand what the big deal is.  There are myriad cases of others not complying to the letter of the law, but everyone else seems to get along just fine.  I admitted in my match with you, Duck, that I did not report the list properly due to laziness.  That's a totally different case than what happened here.

Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 03:24:14 am »

I also want to say that GI did in fact send me a list in a PM. But in my opinion that is not the point here.

Guli: 3. Lists must be posted after all round 1 matches are complete.
3a. You cannot change lists between rounds.
3b. You must show your list at the beginning of each match after the first so your opponent can verify against your posted list.
REH16: fine, i only did 3b

G I , to keep things cool (and they are, things are just fine) my advice is that you just post your lists in the correct thread after you played your first round. Would you be so kind to follow this simple rule to avoid misunderstandings of any kind?

You could have stayed by the way, there is nothing wrong with discussion and confusion IF you talk about it and work it out. I felt like I was the one doing something wrong and pissing you off. The was the feeling you gave me when I tried to point something out. So I tried to say things diplomatically but eventually you left anyway.

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 01:27:20 pm »

Here's my understanding and reasoning.
I didn't realize which tournament this was for so I started with the wrong list loaded.
Let's say I sit down at FNM and accidentally present my Vintage deck instead of my Innistrad draft deck.  Honest mistake, whatever.  Nobody will call a judge on it since it's so obvious.  What if I present last week's draft deck?  Honest mistake still, but if it happens more than once, obviously even with the most casual rules enforcement something needs to be done since the potential for abuse is so much higher.  Do I think you're intentionally being a douche? No.  But this isn't about the particulars.

I may not have posted it here, but I presented the decklist to Guli in advance of G1 and outside of a major brain-fart on his part.
Again, rules are rules despite the particulars.  There's potential for abuse whether you're intentionally being abusive or not.  The rules clearly say that you have to post a list, not PM it.

I'm open to changing the rules, but as long as they're there I'm forced to enforce them.  Sorry.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: