TheManaDrain.com
September 16, 2019, 08:24:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Duck Weekly Tourney #22  (Read 5827 times)
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« on: June 27, 2012, 05:51:45 am »

Hi all!

Let's make M13 legal for this tourney now that we have a full, official spoil.

Every week, I'm going to start an 8-player single elimination bracket.  Rules are very similar to the TMD online invitational:
1. Games are played publicly on Cockatrice
2. Players have at most a week to complete each match.
3. Lists must be posted after all round 1 matches are complete.
3a. You cannot change lists between rounds.
3b. If requested by your opponent, you must reveal your deck at the beginning of each match after the first week.
4. Brackets are fully randomized.

Registration will be closed once we have 8 people or about a week passes and I remember to draw up a bracket.

Players signed up as of last update:
1. AmbivalentDuck
2. GI
3. Guli
4. MrJumbo
5. SerraCollector
6. Boggyb
7. Brianpk80

First matches must be complete by July 16th.  If all matches complete before then, the next set will be due within a week, and so on.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:58:41 am by AmbivalentDuck » Logged

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 06:53:33 am »

+1

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:39 am »

+1

mrjumbo03
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:10:45 pm »

+1

Workshop. Trinisphere. Go.
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:32:46 pm »

in like Flynn.  +1

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:22:28 am »

Change to possibly increase interest: M13 is legal for this tourney.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »

I'm down
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 11:14:34 am »

+1

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:00:42 am »

Bracket is up:
Serra vs bye
Brian vs MrJumbo
GI vs me
Guli vs BoggyB

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:35:27 pm »

Beat GI 2-1.  He was on Lich's Mirror, I was on RUG.  Game 1, I didn't have enough disruption and he had Pact of Negation.  Game 2, I countered the first grid while keeping up a clock.  After he tapped out for the second grid, I showed a Time Walk for lethal damage.  Game 3, I had oodles of disruption and countered or Wastelanded everything he played with only one exception.  He goes down to Goyf damage.

4 Delver of Secrets
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Spell Pierce
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Brainstorm
3 Wasteland
4 Force of Will
2 Volcanic Island
4 Tropical Island
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
3 Trygon Predator
1 Strip Mine
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Ruby
2 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Nature's Claim
3 Mental Misstep
1 Island
1 Forest
1 Ponder
SB: 1 Nature's Claim
SB: 4 Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 2 Pyroblast
SB: 1 Red Elemental Blast
SB: 2 Ingot Chewer
SB: 3 Forked Bolt

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 07:03:48 am »

We're waiting on two matches?  Any results to report or upcoming matches planned?

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 10:39:09 am »

I was in contact with Guli and he said he was having trouble contacting Boggy.  Boggy, please respond to this or I'm going to give the match to Guli to keep things moving along.

Any news from Brian and MrJumbo?

mrjumbo03
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 01:20:14 pm »

I messaged him but he has yet to respond.

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 06:18:34 am »

On Monday morning, I'm awarding matches to Guli and MrJumbo unless their opponents make an effort to get these games played.

mrjumbo03
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 01:11:03 pm »

Brianpk has contacted me as he just got back from somewhere yesterday, but sadly we couldn't get a match in. Exam week has started for me though, and for this reason, I'm gonna have to concede the match to him as I won't be able to play for at least 2 weeks. Goodluck and have a blast!Hopefully I can participate in the next one.

boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 10:13:40 am »

Just lost 0-2 to Guli. He was on beatdown, me ritual oath.

Game 1 I mulligan two hands with way too much mana to a 5 of Petal, land, ruby, sol ring, jace, i.e. jace on turn 2 undisrupted, but he has turn 1 dark confidant on the play and I draw nothing and so just scoop to conceal information.

Game 2 I mulligan again to a 6 with land land mox time walk ancestral misstep, so go turn 1 walk, turn 2 ancestral with misstep backup, but draw mana and a single jace the rest of the game, and he quickly overwhelms me.

Good games!
Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:31 am »

Me and boggyb played our match.

It was my 5 Colour Human/Control versus his Gush/Oath deck.

Game 1 he mulled to 5. I won the roll and started with Cavern/Esg/Bob with Lotus active. He conceded the game and we went to boarding.

I knew nothing so I didn't use any sideboard card.

Game 2 he mulled again. He started with a Time Walk and later on followed it up with a Ancestral Recall. I tried to Misstep it but he had a Misstep as well. After that he put down some artifact mana but he had no gas. He did thoughtseize my Mayor. I put down a Thalia and 2 Noble putting him on a clock. He didn't do a lot, I get in a Bob and brought him into red zone. He pulled of a mini Tendrils of Agony putting him on 12 and me on 7 life. Bob draws me a Mayor and I pound away 10 life putting him back at 2 life. He concedes.

gg's

Here is my list:

4 Mental Misstep
2 Grafdigger's Cage

4 Dark Confidant
4 Mayor of Avabruck
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Stun Sniper
2 Vithian Renegades
3 True Believer

3 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Noble Hierarch

1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Jet
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Ancient Ziggurat
4 City of Brass
4 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
3 Ghost Quarter

SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 4 Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 2 Kataki, War's Wage
SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 True Believer
SB: 2 Umezawa's Jitte
SB: 2 Devout Chaplain
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:21:50 pm by Guli » Logged

Grand Inquisitor
Always the play, never the thing
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 10:00:59 am »

5 of Petal, land, ruby, sol ring, jace, i.e. jace on turn 2 undisrupted, but he has turn 1 dark confidant on the play and I draw nothing and so just scoop to conceal information.

I don't understand.  Isn't this a turn 1 JTMS?...Ruby>Sol Ring + land, petal = 4 mana.  Bounce Bob, next turn brainstorm for oath?

There is not a single argument in your post. Just statements that have no meaning. - Guli

It's pretty awesome that I did that - Smmenen
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 12:50:23 pm »

Sorry, I think I was wrong about the ruby. He had a black lotus, too, so it was going to be turn 2 draw 2 cards for him, drop two dudes, kill me by turn 4-5. I could've just waited to see if I drew an oath in the next turn or two, but actually was feeling kind of rushed as I had company over Sad. I should've postponed or just dropped the match -- sorry duder.
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 01:37:40 pm »

I find it hard to believe that Stun Sniper is better than Phantasmal Image.

Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 11:58:46 am »

Phantasmal Image is probably better. But in the Human Cavern heavy beatdown I am developing, you want humans to avoid problems with Cavern, maximize the value of Mayor. The second argument is that Sniper is great at the battle field. It clears the way by sniping annoying defenders. It can also keep Emrakul, Griselbrand and DCS at bay while again, keeping the offensive. There are similar applications between Image and Sniper, but what a all in creature deck lacks is instant removal spells. You will need board control. Image can not really do that.

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 12:04:56 pm »

Phantasmal Image is probably better. But in the Human Cavern heavy beatdown I am developing, you want humans to avoid problems with Cavern, maximize the value of Mayor. The second argument is that Sniper is great at the battle field. It clears the way by sniping annoying defenders. It can also keep Emrakul, Griselbrand and DCS at bay while again, keeping the offensive. There are similar applications between Image and Sniper, but what a all in creature deck lacks is instant removal spells. You will need board control. Image can not really do that.
1. Sniper is only easier to cast than Image when you have two Caverns up.
2. Image is way better against the legends.
3. Image can copy Mayor.

Guli
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 12:12:47 pm »

1. Sniper is only easier to cast than Image when you have two Caverns up.
2. Image is way better against the legends.
3. Image can copy Mayor.
True all. But like I said, the board control and tactics are necessary when you are running Thalia, Bob, Mayor, Revoker type of cards. Show and tell is also an issue, Image does not work. I have put down Stun Sniper against Griselbrand. If Griselbrand can't attack or defend after drawing 7, the game is probably lost for the combo player. This is because of Thalia/Believer and the mana denial.

I do like Image, but there is no space. And the Sniper slots are for board control.

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 01:32:59 pm »

Beat Guli 2-0.  Forked Bolt is a sick beating (especially with Snappies!) in the critter mirror.

serracollector
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 03:55:09 am »

I beat BrianPK 2-0.  Game one he had turn 1 lotus land pass.  I play fetch.  He plays land, cast Meddling Mage naming STP.  After this we both continued to cast creatures causing a standstill.  I also remember I wasted/stripped 3 of his lands, then cast a Pridemage, and 2, yes 2, armadillo cloaks on it.  He shorlty afterwards conceded.

Game 2 I get a turn 1 thalia, followed by turn 2 pride mage and waste, and turn 3 Goyf, somewhere along the line I get an Angel in play and swing ftw.

Here is my decklist.  Its crap but its fun.

"Exalted Love"

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Qasali Pridemage
4 Sublime Archangel
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
1 Lotus Petal
4 Savannah
4 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
4 Windswept Heath
2 Forest
2 Plains
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Stony Silence
4 Mental Misstep
4 Aven Mindcensor
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Armadillo Cloak
SB: 3 Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 2 Nature's Claim
SB: 3 Serenity
SB: 4 Swords to Plowshares

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
serracollector
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 10:02:09 pm »

So its been awhile since I won that last game, do I auto win the tourney and the million dollar prize with it?  Smile

AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 06:17:30 am »

So its been awhile since I won that last game, do I auto win the tourney and the million dollar prize with it?  Smile
Auto-winning requires contacting your opponent to set up a game and then pasting that contact here and claiming that they haven't responded. Razz

serracollector
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 06:49:17 am »

Oh thats how it works.  Mr Duck, I am on every day at Midnight EST, when can you play? (waits....waits....) Oh no reply, guess I win Smile

Just msg me on here or hit me up whenever on trice, Im on all the time.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: