TheManaDrain.com
December 10, 2019, 03:38:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: unrestricting mind's desire  (Read 1108 times)
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:25:49 pm »

Mind's Desire has been restricted since its printing in the Vintage format.  At the time of its printing, there was nothing that could beat a deck that could go mind's desire into mind's desire and it was painstakingly obvious to the design team.  

Since the cards printing, the following cards have been printed:
chalice of the void
mental misstep
flusterstorm
ethersworn cannonist
lodestone golem
thorn of amethyst
mindbreak trap
vendilion clique

Which almost all of them (except for cannonist) show up regularly and maindeck in vintage.  That being the case, is Mind's Desire really that degenerate of a deck anymore?  It could go off on the first turn with help from a fastbond, but so can other decks.  It costs 6 mana which is very cost prohibitive and even if you play ever card in your hand on turn 1 and cast this card, variance says there is still a chance you don't win on that turn, and for that matter even in the game.  Even with a god draw, you could fizzle out.  

I think its time for Wizards to seriously consider unrestricting this card.  
Saya
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:01:08 pm »

Are you saying that with Izzet's experiment in mind?
Anyway unrestricting desire may help TPS,the failure of recent vintage metagame and may give vintage variety.And TPS wouldn't be a caesar of the format.I agree
quicksilvervii
Adepts
Basic User

There will be water if Ka wills it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:12:53 pm »

Are you saying that with Izzet's experiment in mind?
Anyway unrestricting desire may help TPS,the failure of recent vintage metagame and may give vintage variety.And TPS wouldn't be a caesar of the format.I agree

The question is, what does unrestricting Desire accomplish?

Rather, what do you want it to accomplish?

I think if your aim is to bring back TPS, this is not the card to do it.

Mind's Desire has been restricted since its printing in the Vintage format.  At the time of its printing, there was nothing that could beat a deck that could go mind's desire into mind's desire and it was painstakingly obvious to the design team.  

Since the cards printing, the following cards have been printed:
chalice of the void
mental misstep
flusterstorm
ethersworn cannonist
lodestone golem
thorn of amethyst
mindbreak trap
vendilion clique

Which almost all of them (except for cannonist) show up regularly and maindeck in vintage.  That being the case, is Mind's Desire really that degenerate of a deck anymore?  It could go off on the first turn with help from a fastbond, but so can other decks.  It costs 6 mana which is very cost prohibitive and even if you play ever card in your hand on turn 1 and cast this card, variance says there is still a chance you don't win on that turn, and for that matter even in the game.  Even with a god draw, you could fizzle out.  

I think its time for Wizards to seriously consider unrestricting this card.  

If you find a way to desire for 5 turn one, you dont think that casting 5-10 spells puts you far ahead enough that you may have already won the game?

When you have cast more spells than your opponent has cards in their hand before the game begins, it may be degenerate (not to mention you could hit another desire).

I don't think that unrestricting the card fixes anything (low reward) while opening up potential for serious problems (high risk).

When there is no wind, row.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: