TheManaDrain.com
September 18, 2020, 07:54:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Death's Shadow  (Read 4100 times)
jamestosetti
Basic User

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:50:12 pm »

I made a legacy deck a few months ago that incorporated death's shadow, sylvan library, shallow grave, reanimate, dark confidant, and blue spells. Someone asked me if I thought it could be turned into  vintage deck, and I  said probably not. Someone ended up placing well with a very similar deck, so I decided to turn my deck into a type one deck and see what happened. Here is the list.

/ Lands
    2 Island
    2  Tropical Island
    4  Polluted Delta
    2  Flooded Strand
    2  Underground Sea
    2  Wasteland
    1  Strip Mine
    1  Bayou

// Creatures
    4  Deathrite Shaman
    4  Death's Shadow
    2  Snapcaster Mage
    3  Dark Confidant

// Spells
    1  Time Walk
    1  Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4  Force of Will
    1  Demonic Tutor
    1  Ponder
    1  Brainstorm
    2  Mental Misstep
    1  Mox Sapphire
    1  Mox Emerald
    1  Mox Jet
    1  Ancestral Recall
    1  Black Lotus
    2  Spell Pierce
    4  Abrupt Decay
    1  Intuition
    2  Shallow Grave
    1  Berserk
    1  Flusterstorm
    3  Sylvan Library
    1  Steel Sabotage

// Sideboard
 2  Wasteland
 1  Jace, the Mind Sculptor
 1  Tormod's Crypt
 1  Scavenging Ooze
 1  Trinisphere
 3  Snuff Out
 3  Nature's Claim
 1  Surgical Extraction
 2  Steel Sabotage
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:01:54 pm by jamestosetti » Logged
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:57:34 pm »

What is this deck trying to do, exactly?  Just durdle until its life total is low, then cast and recur Death's Shadow?  If so, isn't Unearth a better option than Shallow Grave?
jamestosetti
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:03:52 pm »

I never thought about unearth, but shallow grave gives the creature haste. That can be a big deal sometimes. Yes, the deck works somewhat like other fish decks in that it uses dorks to control the grave and gain card advantage. It also has a good game with shop decks. It. Its fairly straightforward though. I don't really know what to say about the strategy besides you are using your life total to your advantage.

I've been playing with death's shadow for a while. I have the user name jtos84 on the source. The legacy deck I made had two shallow graves, two reanimates, three berserks, two intuition, but aside from that it is very similar.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:06:48 pm by jamestosetti » Logged
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:13:25 pm »

What about altering the deck to utilize Varolz, the Scar Stripped? You can play Stifle Dreadnought also.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
jamestosetti
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:27:24 pm »

You probably could. My b/g legacy deck uses one varolz and one phyrexian metamorph. It would not be the same deck though. I just do not go that route because of the amount of abrupt decays, steel sabotage, and blue counters that are used. The dreadnaught requires two cards. I am sure someone could make it work, but I just do not have an interest in the amount of testing that would require. It just so happened a legacy deck I play with was able to be used in vintage. I just posted the list so people could give it a try if they felt like it.

I did think more on unearth. That is a good card, but the amount of games that shallow grave takes down keeps me using it.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 06:26:01 pm »

It can replace reanimate, too.
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:42:47 am »

Look at this player vintage Tops:

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/busqueda.php?nombre=Iv%E1n%20de%20Castro

This is a sample of his last top:

Creatures [13]
2 Scavenging Ooze
3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Dark Confidant
4 Death's Shadow

Instants [21]
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Berserk
1 Brainstorm
1 Vampiric Tutor
2 Flusterstorm
2 Spell Pierce
2 Steel Sabotage
3 Mental Misstep
4 Abrupt Decay
4 Force of Will

Sorceries [2]
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Time Walk

Enchantments [3]
3 Sylvan Library

Artifacts [4]
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire

Lands [17]
1 Bayou
1 Breeding Pool
1 Strip Mine
1 Watery Grave
2 Polluted Delta
2 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea
3 Wasteland
4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboards
1 Swamp
1 Wasteland
2 Trygon Predator
2 Yixlid Jailer
1 Flusterstorm
4 Ravenous Trap
3 Snuff Out
1 Steel Sabotage

Quite hard to deal if unprepared...
jamestosetti
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:39:08 pm »

After playing RUG Delver, and reading this post again, I started thinking about the possibilities of this deck in the current meta. I decided to test the Gush engine in a more efficient version. The deck was pretty effective in the matches I played, but I need to test at least 10 more matches to get a better idea of the capabilities it will have. Any feedback is welcome. Here is the list.

4 Polluted Delta
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Watery Grave
1 Breeding Pool
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Underground Sea
1 Tropical Island

2 Tarmogoyf
4 Death's Shadow

1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Saphire
1 Mox Emerald

4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Force of Will
2 Misdirection
4 Gush
3 Mental Misstep
2 Flusterstorm
2 Spell Peirce
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Ponder
1 Time Walk
1 Distortion Strike
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Chain of Vapor

1 Fastbond
1 Noxious Revival
1 Berserk

1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
4 Thoughtseize

Sideboard

2 Tarmogoyf
2 Snuffout
1 Dismember
3 Abrupt Decay
2 Nature's Claim
4 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Toxic Deluge
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:16:07 pm by jamestosetti » Logged
Lurker101
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:30:14 pm »

Have you thought about Spoils of the Vault or Lim-Dul's Vault? I have a Legacy Death's Shadow deck with Spoils and I really like it.
jamestosetti
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 09:34:55 pm »

I think Spoils of the Vault would have the potential to just lose the game on the spot, or put you in bolt range. Lim-Dul's Vault's 2cc is in competition with other 2cc cards, and I think it may also be too much of a dedicated play. I don't think the Fastbond is necessary, and the Overgrown Tomb may have to go because of Gush.

I have also updated the s/b to include 3 Tormod's Crypts, minus the Goyfs and a cage. One more Goyf main, minus the Fastbond, and the Overgrown Tomb is now another Underground Sea.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:34:01 pm by jamestosetti » Logged
jamestosetti
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 08:29:35 am »

After testing quite a bit I have found this deck is about the same as blue red delver, but it attacks from less versatile angles with creatures, but gains thoughtseize. It is much more vulnerable to Jace, and Snapcaster bolt is something to watch out for. The deck plays pretty well, but I think it would be hard to choose this over Delver.

This is another update to my testing efforts. This deck is much better than I expected it would be. I thought it would be good, but it is exceeding the expectations that I had for it. Basic Lands had to be included in the main and the s/b as well as Trygon Predators in the s/b to combat Workshop. When I added those the match definitely became something I enjoy to play. Not that I crush Workshops, but its not always crushing me now. Adding a fourth Mental Misstep, and cutting a Gitaxian Probe is a definite improvement. One Steel Sabotage main in the place of Fastbond is an upgrade as well. Aside from that, and the basics main, I think the only other change was cutting one Tarmogoyf.

There are definitely a couple points about the deck that need explaining. I will start with Death's Shadow. If you have no previous experience with this card you are probably going to experience many humiliating defeats. I am not even sure someone could learn to play with Death's Shadow in this deck, and in this format. It would be an uphill battle. On a related note, many of my opponents do not understand Death's Shadow either. When I attack with it, and they refuse to block, and attack me back causing it to grow to lethal size, this definitely shows some type of misunderstanding of the card. The p/t does change as your life total changes. This is basically one the most efficient creatures ever printed. It obviously does not come without a cost, but that only adds to its effectiveness. Playing against blue and red Delver I was stealing Recalls with Misdirections, or redirecting a Lightning Bolt targeting my 3/3 Shadow to their Young Pyromancer or Delver. Another example. My opponent has two creatures, and I have a small Shadow. My opponent swings in hopes I will be forced to block. Unfortunately you can block here, and as you lose life the Death's Shadow will grow before it would have otherwise died. It does not deal more combat damage because of the single entry, but you may well be representing your own lethal attack now.

When playing with Death's Shadow it is generally a meta call. If 4 bolts and 3 Snapcasters were the norm, that would be something to fear. Although a resolved Jace can be problematic, I do not really fear cards that are one or two of, especially when I can potentially counter it, or use Distortion Strike to get in there. Gush also adds to the versatility of this card. You can replay lands and bring your life total into Shadow range, or make it bigger. I tend to lean toward utility, synergy, and strategy, and this deck is up there on my list right now. Here is the list: http://pastebin.com/kF6xTSCe
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:08:33 pm by jamestosetti » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: