TheManaDrain.com
December 08, 2019, 08:18:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: MVPLS Vintage Event---THE INVITATIONAL 5-24-14  (Read 9924 times)
Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2014, 09:35:48 pm »

I too am partial to deeper payouts for the bigger events. However, when it's only a 1k I think the cut has to be at 8. Coss tried to go over the top on prizes and the attendance didn't improve. We have empirical evidence on it now. Scaling back entry and prizes has lead to much greater attendance.

Char? Char you! I like the play.
-Randy Bueller

I swear I'll burn the city down to show you the light.

The best part of believe is the lie
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2014, 11:56:00 am »

great tournament, i had a blast.  I was worried that all the date changes would hurt attendance, but it looks like getting the right day was worth the wait. 

i walked away with a nm Taiga after losing in the top 16, so i have to say the prize support was nothing less than awesome. 

when youre doing an event that is supposed to be much more exciting than your normal monthly tournament you have to go big, and Calvin nailed it with this one. 

congrats to will for taking it down, i heard a lot of people lamenting the death of the Shop deck lately but the best Shop players seem not to have noticed.

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Greg
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2014, 07:08:52 pm »

Now that's what I call a seriously dense concentration of top tier talent! It certainly wasn't a wise day for me to have my head up my ass for nearly every game I played. This event was another solid reminder of what a great community we have around us. I love you guys. Smile

I've mentioned it before, but I've always been fond of the idea of more prizes going out to more entrants, no matter how small they are. Congratulations to those that survived this brutal field and ended up walking away with one of those prizes. You certainly deserved it!

Thanks for a fun time, Calvin.
Thecheese
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2014, 07:28:34 pm »

The best part was Greg having gelati from Rita's for the first time. And sub optimally choosing Root beer when tropical punch was available.

It was great meeting Calvin. Top notch tourney

Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah
KingSquee
Basic User

RELEASE THE GLACKIN!!!

KingSquee
View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2014, 11:17:43 am »

I'm not a huge fan of Top 16 playoffs, because as we found out Saturday THEY TAKE FREAKING FOREVER! (Or was it just Craiggers' and Joel's fault?)

Prizes paid down to the Top 16 are cool though, for premier events such as this one, NYSE Opens, Winter/Summer opens, and so on.

Champion: NEV 2, NYSE 7, Games and Stuff May 2014
Finalist: NEV 7, TDG February 2014
Top 4: 2011 Vintage Champs, NEV Championship, a few other events.
Top 8: 2010 Vintage Champs, MVPLS Invitational, a bunch of other events.
Top 9: 2012 Legacy Champs, countless other events... Sad
Calvin240sx
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2014, 02:41:39 pm »

it was purely Craig and Joel's fault. that game was the slowest thing ever.

cheers,
cal

Yes, you are really all alone in this world. Even in the dark your shadow abandons you.

Founder Black Magic Gaming. Website coming soon.
facebook.com/blkmagicgaming
jlim17
2013 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2014, 02:55:28 pm »

it was purely Craig and Joel's fault. that game was the slowest thing ever.

Hey no fair, Craig's not on here to defend himself! I will say though, if you watched that match, it was worth the wait! And you would have realized why it took so long. Don't hate the playas...
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2014, 05:45:35 pm »

For those who weren't present wondering what everyone is talking about regarding the match that took forever...

Merfolk v. a resolved Moat

That about sums it up. 

Great event, Calvin. 

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2014, 06:14:13 pm »

For those who weren't present wondering what everyone is talking about regarding the match that took forever...

That about sums it up. 

Great event, Calvin. 

I mean that game was all but over once the Moat resolved, no? At that point Joel's only out is to wait for Craig to play a flyer, and then Image it multiple times with Craig not having anything targetted while also having no blockers for multiple turns. Recent events have led to me not picking up cards when there is a chance, however small, but this would have been tempting. Joel is the man for sticking it out as long as he did.

-Randy Bueller

Will
Veritas
Adepts
Basic User

Wmagzoo7
View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2014, 08:09:05 pm »

That about sums it up. 

Great event, Calvin. 

I mean that game was all but over once the Moat resolved, no? At that point Joel's only out is to wait for Craig to play a flyer, and then Image it multiple times with Craig not having anything targetted while also having no blockers for multiple turns. Recent events have led to me not picking up cards when there is a chance, however small, but this would have been tempting. Joel is the man for sticking it out as long as he did.

I could be mistaken because I wasn't watching the match very intently post Moat, but Craig told me he should have lost. Joel Imaged Craig's Resto but forgot about the Merrow Reejeries that he had in play. Craig said he would have undoubtedly died if the Reejeries weren't buried under other Merfolk. I thought it was a foregone conclusion too, but apparently not.

The artist formerly known as Wmagzoo7

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable" - Seneca
Calvin240sx
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2014, 09:07:01 pm »

That about sums it up. 

Great event, Calvin. 

I could be mistaken because I wasn't watching the match very intently post Moat, but Craig told me he should have lost. Joel Imaged Craig's Resto but forgot about the Merrow Reejeries that he had in play. Craig said he would have undoubtedly died if the Reejeries weren't buried under other Merfolk. I thought it was a foregone conclusion too, but apparently not.

indeed. this game was over the moment joel had images on board. quite a few of us were wondering why joel wasn't attacking through the air. was a very interesting match though. just painfully long.  happens to the best of us. even the reigning vintage champ.

cheers,
cal

Yes, you are really all alone in this world. Even in the dark your shadow abandons you.

Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2014, 09:33:10 pm »

Was Craig's Resto already in play? I'm confused as to what happened.

-Randy Bueller

MrGlantz
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2014, 01:19:34 am »

Was Craig's Resto already in play? I'm confused as to what happened.

Sounds like Joel could have forced a phantasmal image copying restoration angel through by tapping down blockers with Merrow Reejereys.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2014, 07:59:18 am »

I was watching, waiting for the match to finish up.  It's entirely possible that I missed something key, but I'll provide my understanding of game three. 

Craig was in the process of being slowly beaten down by Merfolk, as Joel had a Cursecatcher in play.  Joel was tight on mana, without his second source of blue, having kept an opener that (I believe) had a Wasteland and an Island.  Craig was light on mana as well after Joel Wasted him.  Craig kept hitting his lands, but was light on business.  Joel seemed to have a hand of nothing but business, but not enough mana to get the action started. 

Craig had the hardest working Sensei's Divining Top in existence and by playing some of the tightest Magic I've seen, kept things relatively under control.  It seemed that he had a counter when he needed to dodge the death blow and there was one point where he set up the top three knowing that he needed to have the third card down be blue in order to turn Force online the turn after.   

I was very, very impressed by the tight play on both ends.  Joel had me convinced that he had a Force in hand through taking his time, reacting like he did, etc.  The bluff is one of the most important parts of the game and Joel had me sold.  Excellent work, Joel.

Eventually we hit a point where Craig sees the second white source that he needs and a Moat.  Craig calls Joel's bluff on the Force and sticks the Moat.

I wonder if Craig boarded out his Jaces in this match.  If he did, I understand his line of play.  If he still had three Jaces though, I wonder why he would try and force a win with a Restoration Angel.  Sitting behind a Moat, none of Joel's creatures are able to attack him.  Playing a Resto just gives Joel an opportunity to beat Craig down with copies, tapping them with Reejereys.  If he had Jaces in his deck, wouldn't the right call be to sit behind the Moat and set up a Jace win? 

Anyways, we hit a point where Craig is on 10 and casts a Restoration Angel.  Joel plays two copies and a Time Walk, tapping down Craig's Resto with his Reejerey.  There was some confusion, as Joel may have had the third Image, but I'm not sure. 

Craig is on a solitary white source at this point, as Joel has now Wasted two Tundras (I think) and landed a Null Rod to shut off Craig's Pearl.  Craig has a single Swords to Plowshares and ends up hitting a second.  Eventually, after hitting low single digits, Craig has targeted enough Images and Joel is out of gas.

I don't know what was in Joel's hand at the end, or if he had a third Image, but there were mistakes made after the Moat hit.  I saw the two of them play some of the tightest Vintage I've seen played before that though, so credit should be given to both of them.  It's impossible to play tight all the time, and I self destructed in top four, so far be it for me to be too harsh. 

Craig is absolutely lethal with a Top in play.  Joel remains a master with his little blue men.  As much as I wanted to see the match end so that the guys in my car and I could begin our four hour trek home, this was an excellent game to catch, played by two of the best pilots in the format.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching both of them play.

"I’ll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I’ll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2014, 08:16:08 am »

It's quite possible that Craig was not playing Jace at all and was on Fact or Fiction. Assuming as much I would have asked for a Library count if I was in his shoes. I trust his skills enough to think that he was deeper into the deck  and would have waited until he thought he was safe to play multiple fliers EoT. It's very hard to wait so long and fatigue is real. Regardless of nitpicks, he played very well and continues to show his strongest trait in deck building.

Joel is definitely a master. When we locked horns in round 1 I thought I'd be pretty favored playing Jund. Our game 1 was exceptionally tight with him killing me on 1. Game 3 he punished my greedy hand with a Misstep on a GSZ and a Wasteland behind it. I never really got going after that. I've seen him stay the course in some very troubled waters and make exceptional reads. There is a reason he won Worlds. The fact that he played himself into an opportunity to beat a Moat on Merfolk is telling.

I wish I had been able to see the match unfold in its entirety. With my car dead we had left to get food, only to return to the match still going on. I had mistakenly written off Joel as defeated when the Moat resolved. A part of me wishes I had stayed to watch beyond the moat, though a part of me(and my wife) is grateful to have arrived home just after midnight.

-Randy Bueller

Thecheese
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2014, 10:58:51 am »

They both asked for a library check at one point. Craig had several fewer cards in his library than Joel.

Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2014, 02:29:48 pm »

Regarding Jace vs. FoF:

Craig, Brian, and Rich's 75 were close to being the same. I believe they ran 3 or 4 copies of FoF over Jace depending on preference. They'd rather be casting all of their action cards during their opponents' EOT, and you can't run Jace and Spirit of the Lab in the same deck.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2014, 02:36:08 pm »

Regarding Jace vs. FoF:

Craig, Brian, and Rich's 75 were close to being the same. I believe they ran 3 or 4 copies of FoF over Jace depending on preference. They'd rather be casting all of their action cards during their opponents' EOT, and you can't run Jace and Spirit of the Lab in the same deck.

This is an excellent point.  I don't know the lists, so I'll just take this for granted, as, now that I think about it, I saw Craig cast a Spirit.

"I’ll break my staff,
I’ll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2014, 04:19:49 pm »

Regarding Jace vs. FoF:

This is an excellent point.  I don't know the lists, so I'll just take this for granted, as, now that I think about it, I saw Craig cast a Spirit.

Craig definitely had Spirits in the SB. He MIGHT have had Jace, but I know he had FoF. Based on him adding to the board after resolving Moat that leads me to believe he didn't have Jace and was behind in cards.

-Randy Bueller

Will
Veritas
Adepts
Basic User

Wmagzoo7
View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2014, 04:50:12 pm »

Regarding Jace vs. FoF:

Craig definitely had Spirits in the SB. He MIGHT have had Jace, but I know he had FoF. Based on him adding to the board after resolving Moat that leads me to believe he didn't have Jace and was behind in cards.

Craig had 3 Spirits MD because it was passable in our testing games where I was on Shops. He had 0 Jace in his 75 instead opting for 3 FoF Md. You were right Tom he had significantly fewer cards in his library post Moat.

The artist formerly known as Wmagzoo7

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable" - Seneca
jlim17
2013 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2014, 12:12:45 am »

For those who didn't know, all of Top 16 and on was provided decklists for their opponents. Craig ran 3 MD Spirits, 0 Jace, and I think 3 if not 4 FoFs. Most of the maindeck was the same as in Rich's recent primer, Dance Magic Dance, which should be a must read, if anything, for the love of Labyrinth  Very Happy.

Anyways, I think the turn in question is when I drew and played the 3rd image AFTER my Time Walk turn, but playing an image does not trigger reejery's ability, and I had no merfolk in hand that turn. If I remember correctly, even at that point in the game, he had 7 mana up including WW, a full grip after already having gone through about half his deck with only playing 2 STP effects out of 8-9 and 1 out of 7 of his 3/x flyers, and with me at 6 life. I was afraid of dying to STP plus 3/x flier that turn so I didn't even think about attacking. Although I was a dead man walking at that point, I still should have tried anything to just go for it. After the game, I didn't ask Craig what his hands were in those crucial turns, so only he would know if I even had a line of play to win or not.

The turn(s) before, I was working on a line of play to win through Moat and was building the hand to get to it, but he found the Cavern to resolve his Resto with me at 6 life, and I had to try to go for the win on my next turn. Somewhat ironically, one of my outs, if not THE out, the 3rd Image, I drew after the TW turn, two turns too late. If Craig waited even another turn, I had a good chance to win that game. Early in the game he also chose to counter an Adept instead of the following turn revealed Lord so that also ended up being a very crucial decision. Craig had to win in combat after Moat'ing as he had less cards in his library than me enough that it couldn't be reversed with a Snap'd recall, and his deck had no other win con.

My obvious misplay was not drawing by choosing Adept once (maybe twice?) after imaging Resto, which would have drawn me the card I needed. I also decided to T2 wasteland, with only an island in play (when my hand was Adept, Lord, Lord, Null Rod, Time Walk) against his 3 mana/Top board to keep him off WW for Moat. In this matchup, I figured I could last the 2-3 draws it would take to draw another mana source but I failed to draw another mana source for 6-7 turns. I think the proper line was to prioritize developing my board and not worry about Moat that early, as he probably would wait a turn or two to get counter backup to protect his Moat play, if he even had it in hand at the time. Eventually, whether I had the FoW in hand or not, Craig was out of cards in hand and had to play Moat unprotected as he would have died before he could top deck FoW + blue card to protect it.

All this being said, I may have missed something or remembered something incorrectly. Long, draining (but fun!) event, its late, its been about a week...blah blah blah excuses blah. Great match, good experience, and although I did not win, I learned.
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2014, 02:10:44 pm »

I've had a few requests for the list that I played at the event:

1 Black Lotus
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Sol Ring
4 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Sphere of Resistance
3 Thorn of Amethyst
4 Tangle Wire
4 Lodestone Golem
3 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
1 Duplicant
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Sundering Titan

1 Strip Mine
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Mishra’s Factory
4 Mishra’s Workshop
4 Wasteland

SB:

3 Crucible of Worlds
2 Serrated Arrows
3 Silent Arbiter
3 Witchbane Orb
1 Wurmcoil Engine
3 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

It was a pretty standard Martello Shops list with the fourth Revoker in the main, Serrated Arrows in the board for the various X/1s that needed to bite the bullet, and Arbiter as an answer to a lot of the aggro strategies in the field. 

"I’ll break my staff,
I’ll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2014, 02:20:20 pm »

The game between Joel and Craig was enough to convince me to buy myself a Moat. Nothing else would have gotten Craig out of that spot.  I now plan to include one in the sideboard for the deck.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2014, 02:40:22 pm »

1 Black Lotus
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Sol Ring
4 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Sphere of Resistance
3 Thorn of Amethyst
4 Tangle Wire
4 Lodestone Golem
3 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
1 Duplicant
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Sundering Titan

1 Strip Mine
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Mishra’s Factory
4 Mishra’s Workshop
4 Wasteland

SB:

3 Crucible of Worlds
2 Serrated Arrows
3 Silent Arbiter
3 Witchbane Orb
1 Wurmcoil Engine

It was a pretty standard Martello Shops list with the fourth Revoker in the main, Serrated Arrows in the board for the various X/1s that needed to bite the bullet, and Arbiter as an answer to a lot of the aggro strategies in the field. 

Seems like you have quite a lot of "needle" effects with 7 Revokers main deck Wink

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
rpf5029
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2014, 02:51:05 pm »

1 Black Lotus
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Sol Ring
4 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Sphere of Resistance
3 Thorn of Amethyst
4 Tangle Wire
4 Lodestone Golem
3 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
1 Duplicant
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Sundering Titan

1 Strip Mine
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Mishra’s Factory
4 Mishra’s Workshop
4 Wasteland

SB:

3 Crucible of Worlds
2 Serrated Arrows
3 Silent Arbiter
3 Witchbane Orb
1 Wurmcoil Engine

Thanks for posting this, Nick.  As Matt mentioned, the three Revokers should be Metamorphs, and there seems to be a missing card -- would it happen to be City of Traitors?

I love the Silent Arbiter tech.  Do you think the Tabernacles are extremely necessary? 

Ryan Fisher

PSU MAGIC
"He knows the name of every Elf born in the last four centuries.  More importantly, they know his."  -- Elvish Archdruid
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2014, 04:01:19 pm »

One of my favorite mistakes as a Shop pilot is to forget Trinisphere from the lists I actually run it in.

1 Black Lotus
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Sol Ring
4 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Sphere of Resistance
3 Thorn of Amethyst
4 Tangle Wire
1 Trinisphere
4 Lodestone Golem
3 Phyrexian Metamorph
4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
1 Duplicant
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Sundering Titan

1 Strip Mine
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Mishra’s Factory
4 Mishra’s Workshop
4 Wasteland

SB:

3 Crucible of Worlds
2 Serrated Arrows
3 Silent Arbiter
3 Witchbane Orb
1 Wurmcoil Engine

That is the correct list.  While I love Revoker, I didn't run seven.

"I’ll break my staff,
I’ll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Calvin240sx
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2014, 10:48:29 pm »

I guess i should have said that the report for the event has been posted. apologies to those that didn't know already.

cheers,
cal

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: