TheManaDrain.com
January 18, 2020, 02:23:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing Vintage Worlds Results  (Read 30044 times)
Moxlotus
Teh Absolut Ballz
Full Members
Basic User

Where the fuck are my pants?

moxlotusgws
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2008, 03:16:09 pm »

The name recognition at the top tables was insane.  The 5-0-2 guys were Owen, Demars, Nighbor, and Tommy.

Then there was Jimmy, me (BUG), Steve M. (TPS), Paul, Seroogy (Belcher), Soly, Ben Carp (Oath?), and a few more people who I recognized all at 5-1 playing it out to make the top 8. 

Demars (Strategic Slaver) def. Oath Player (sorry, didn't catch his name)

I believe his name was Josh(? Started with a J) Aken.

Congrats to Paul.  Congrat to Jimmy for making it to the finals.  I will have my revenge on both Jimmy and Nighbor sometime.   Very Happy

Cybernations--a free nation building game.
http://www.cybernations.net
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 03:21:46 pm »

Congratz Paul!

What is strategic slaver?

Join the Vintage League!
KnowmaD
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2008, 03:25:28 pm »

Thanks for the posts, can't wait to hear more about the event. I wonder if any one else is as appalled by Wotc's coverage as I am.
 LordHomerCat, did Erik Lauer shed any light on this at all?

Almost forgot the congratulations to everyone. Congratulations!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 03:34:58 pm by KnowmaD » Logged

Who was that masked man?
Duncan
Full Members
Basic User

Team R&D

duncan_keijzer@hotmail.com duncankeijzer
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2008, 03:34:56 pm »

What is strategic slaver?

Slaver with Strategic Planning in it:

Strategic Planning
Sorcery - 1U
Look at the top three cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.

Moxlotus, what is the BUG deck you said you played?

"Good things may come to those who wait, but they are merely leftovers from great things that come to those who act.
akfox
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2008, 03:57:13 pm »

I believe his name was Josh(? Started with a J) Aken.

His name is Jason Aken, from the Carbondale, IL area.  He's kind of a Vintage noob, but he's one of the top L5R players in the world.
Yare
Zealot
Full Members
Basic User

Playing to win

Yare116
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 05:43:04 pm »

Congratulations, Paul!
Sean Ryan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 06:07:18 pm »

Sounds like an epic battle.  Paul and Brian are some of the best players out there are, kudos boys.

Anyone know if the full set of Strategic Planning was used?

Vintage - Time Vault vs Null Rod
Moxlotus
Teh Absolut Ballz
Full Members
Basic User

moxlotusgws
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 06:18:18 pm »

Sounds like an epic battle.  Paul and Brian are some of the best players out there are, kudos boys.

Anyone know if the full set of Strategic Planning was used?

I am 99% confident a full set of Strategic Planning was used.

Myriad Games
Master of Mountains
Full Members
Basic User

So Many Games - So Little Time - So Start Playing!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 07:21:56 pm »

The complete player profiles for the Top 8 along with matchup reports are available at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgevent/usnat08/vintage2

Myriad Games
Your Friendly Professional Game Stores
1-888-8MYRIAD
www.MyriadGames.com
www.Facebook.com/MyriadGames
LordHomerCat
Full Members
Basic User

Lord+Homer+Cat
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 07:40:19 pm »

Both Brian and I ran the full 4 Strategic Plannings.  It was a similar list to Brian's recent slaver lists (and the one I played in Milwaukee last month), altho the sideboard was completely different from mine and was incredible.  I faced 4 Long players on the day and only Paul was able to beat me.

Team Meandeck

Team Serious

Quote from: spider
LordHomerCat is just mean, and isnt really justifying his statements very well, is he?
Juggernaut GO
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 07:48:45 pm »

LOL @ nighbor "I win nothing"

THEY SPELLED ENFIELD WRONG!

Rand Paul is a stupid fuck, just like his daddy.  Let's go buy some gold!!!
Razvan
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2008, 07:55:17 pm »

sick top 8
8 thirst for knowledge is so good
congratulations to everyone.

Insult my mother, insult my sister, insult my girlfriend... but never ever use the words "restrict" and "Workshop" in the same sentence...
LordHomerCat
Full Members
Basic User

Lord+Homer+Cat
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2008, 08:33:42 pm »

Congrats to Paul.  Congrat to Jimmy for making it to the finals.  I will have my revenge on both Jimmy and Nighbor sometime.   Very Happy

Better bring an answer to first turn Trinisphere and Crucible Strip locks.  And I'm not always going to mulligan to 3 and give you a game =p

Team Meandeck

Team Serious

LordHomerCat is just mean, and isnt really justifying his statements very well, is he?
M.Solymossy
Restricted Posting
Basic User

Sphinx of The Steel Wind

MikeSolymossy
View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 09:32:10 pm »

This just in!

I'm one ugly goon.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:41:25 pm by 13NoVa » Logged

~Team Meandeck~

Vintage will continue to be awful until Time Vault is banned from existance.
Schonkreuz
Full Members
Basic User

*<:3=

schonkreuz
View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 10:41:17 pm »

Good job paul ^-^ (this is tiffany) I saw you in top 8 when I went downstairs to get a soda and knew you would do good.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:05:35 pm by Schonkreuz » Logged

A proud member of the Something 2 Do staff Smile "Like" us on Facebook~
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2008, 11:36:43 pm »

Paul -- unreal!   

I cannot express my disappointment at being paired against you in the final round of swiss for top 8!   Our match was epic, and although I lost - I'm glad you were able to go all the way!   You are a deserving champion!   This field was Stacked!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:39:21 pm by Smmenen » Logged

Juggernaut GO
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 11:59:01 pm »

Good job paul ^-^ (this if tiffany) I saw you in top 8 when I went downstairs to get a soda and knew you would do good.

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.

Rand Paul is a stupid fuck, just like his daddy.  Let's go buy some gold!!!
oneofchaos
Basic User

bikerofalltimes dv_bre
View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2008, 12:01:51 am »

Good job paul ^-^ (this if tiffany) I saw you in top 8 when I went downstairs to get a soda and knew you would do good.

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.

Vintage the gentleman's ladies format

Somebody tell Chapin how counterbalance works?

"Of all the major Vintage archetypes that exist and have existed for a significant period of time, Oath of Druids is basically the only won that has never won Vintage Championships and never will (the other being Dredge, which will never win either)." - Some guy who does not know vintage....
Moxlotus
Teh Absolut Ballz
Full Members
Basic User

moxlotusgws
View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2008, 12:14:21 am »

Question to Jimmy and Demars--why no Seat of Synod or Darksteel Citadel?  You have the crucible and Strip.  Why not the infinite slavelock with lands and being able to use Trikelion?

Paul--0 Tolarian Academy?

Schonkreuz
Full Members
Basic User

*<:3=

schonkreuz
View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2008, 12:16:40 am »

o.O I wouldn't consider it a ladies format at all(thought more girls should play!!!!). I am in fact a rarity. I tend to be able to count the number of girls at a tournament on one hand after all -_-

A proud member of the Something 2 Do staff Smile "Like" us on Facebook~
LordHomerCat
Full Members
Basic User

Lord+Homer+Cat
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2008, 12:18:39 am »

Not once on the day did I even get a Slaver into play, much less try to slave lock.  You have Triskelavus to set that up if it's really necessary, and Seat would have to replace Academy (which was really strong for me all day), Strip Mine (not a chance), or like a basic Island.  I would rather have all those cards than Seat personally.

Team Meandeck

Team Serious

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2008, 12:24:33 am »

Question to Jimmy and Demars--why no Seat of Synod or Darksteel Citadel?  You have the crucible and Strip.  Why not the infinite slavelock with lands and being able to use Trikelion?

Paul--0 Tolarian Academy?

Paul and I got eaten alive by Wastelands at the meandeck open last weekend. 

I took the cue from TK and suggested that we cut Academy to do it.  I think Paul wants the Academy back in the deck, but basics are just more important right now. 

Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2008, 12:28:25 am »

Wow, that tournament was INSANE.  There were so many top vintage players there it was hard to count them all.  Team Meandeck wins AGAIN, suckas!  Vintage Champs is totally our tournament, but you guys guys all put out a good effort. lol.  Anyways, it was sooo fun to hang out with the Vintage crowd again.  the amount of sportsmanship in vintage is awesome- the way we can all be competitors from these different teams, but we can have fun and hang out and stuff, too. 

Congrats to runner up Jimmy, LordHomerCat  Our games were a blast to play.

Also congratulations to my teammate Brian Demars for making the top 4.  After I beat you I was really motivated to take down the tournament so that I didn't let you down.  I wouldn't have been upset at all if I lost to you because I knew whoever won our match was going to win.  It certainly helped me defeat Jimmy to have just played the same match right before.

I also want to thank teammate Steve Menendian who I also had to take out to advance to the single elimination.  Our match was truly epic and really helped me focus.  My player skill "leveled up" considerably after that insanity.  I want to see that video they were making of it.  Does anyone know who those people were?

Thanks to my other opponents, too.  The most fun part of Magic for me is the rush you get from playing a match that is truly challenging.  Back in the day, Vintage tournaments were mostly scrubs - I remember playing against some kid who played Sabertooth Tiger and then I cast Illusions -> Donate, lol.  Once again TK and I dodged each other, just like 2 years ago when we both top 8'ed Champs with Pitch Long.  Someday we have to get paired, and that's going to be sweet.  Bring some chairs and make popcorn for that one.

I want to thank the rest of team meandeck who really come up with some kick ass decks.  That new strategic slaver is just off the chain.  I totally want to go dominate some local tournament with it.  I especially want to thank Brian Keil and Justin Morford of the Pittsburgh chapter of Meandeck for making the trip with me and for all the practicing we do.  Have good players to play test with is the real secret to success. 

Pat Chapin won a ten player game on my type 4 stack after the tournament, so I need to congratulate him.  It's the biggest game I ever played, and all 10 players knew what they were doing. 

But wow, it's like winning the gold medal at the Vintage Olympics. If anyone took pictures, definitely pm me!

Smile

I GOT ME A MEEEEEEEEEEAN DECK!

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Pyromaniac
Full Members
Basic User

hero.t.mannetje@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2008, 01:17:02 am »

Congratz to the T8 players and the winner, obviously Smile The field looks fun and somewhat balanced again, which is always nice.

Just wondering, were there any people outside from the US and Canada there?

It's hard to be religious, when certain people don`t get incinerated by lightning...

On another note, while Ancestral is clearly very very good, having it in your opening is hand is not. - AmbivalentDuck
pierce
Basic User

Part Time Vintage Guru for Hire

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2008, 01:22:41 am »

obv never met the one pua who plays vintage then . . .

gratz paul!

fucking lou. you scrub. real men drop at 4-2-0.

More like Yangwill!
MISTERTREK
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2008, 02:07:15 am »

Hey Paul, congrats! Hope to see you in Blue Bell on the 23rd.
iamfishman
Adepts
Basic User

Euclid's Elements is MY bible!

PLIKEY
View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2008, 08:21:32 am »

Congrats Paul and the rest of the top 8.

Oh...and to whoever said months ago that decks with blue in them were dead...well...look at the top 8 decks.

RIP Mogg Fanatic...at least you are still better than Fire Bowman!!!

I was once asked on MWS, what the highest I ever finished at a TMD Open was.  I replied, "I've never played in a Waterbury.  I was then called "A TOTAL NOOB!"
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2008, 11:36:53 am »

Congratulations to Team Meandeck. You guys really took this one down. Paul, congratulations -- you certainly deserve it. Smmenen, you deserve props as well for a strong performance and the work on the winning deck. Brian, I'm impressed with your list -- congratulations to you and Jimmy. Brian offered to let me run his list the night before, but I (unfortunately) opted to go with the Long list I'd been tinkering with and as a result got obliterated 1-2.

So....

Props to Meandeck for winning and putting so many players into Top Eight. Well played, Gents.

Props to my teammates Jesus and Nam Tran. Jesus made me the coolest playmat ever, and Nam tore up the Day II event with MUD.

Props to everyone in the Vintage Community there for being awesome to hang out with. This really is a great community to be a part of.

Props to Giordano's for making the best Pizza I've ever had anywhere (and this includes Italy).

Slops to a certain Magic Website for cancelling my Strategic Planning order because the price went up.

A great weekend.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
God_Campbell
Basic User

I like 3 things; Beer, Women and Pimp Cards

god_campbell69@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2008, 11:50:13 am »

Slops to a certain Magic Website for canceling my Strategic Planning order because the price went up.

I was saddened to here that they did that to you shay...bad beats.

I had a blast this weekend, totally scrubbing out but having a blast doing it.

"To me, T2 and extended are like a bicycle race, Legacy is like dirt-bike racing, and vintage is like high performance turbo-bike racing where everyone has samurai swords." - Harlequin
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2008, 01:15:21 pm »

Congratulations to Team Meandeck. You guys really took this one down. Paul, congratulations -- you certainly deserve it. Smmenen, you deserve props as well for a strong performance and the work on the winning deck.

As does Tommy (and you).

Paul and I wouldn't be playing TPS/ Pitch Long had he not shown the way at the ICBM open.

Props to TK for showing everyone that TPS was still viable despite the restriction of Brainstorm.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: