TheManaDrain.com
December 10, 2019, 03:38:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales of Adventure 9-20-14  (Read 5065 times)
oshkoshhaitsyosh
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 08:04:41 pm »

Paul is sponsored by Vintage Magic and his tournament fees and expenses are covered by them -

Do you know this to be true?  Do you have knowledge of the VM sponsorship?

I know this to be false.  VM sponsorship does not extend to small, local tournaments.  

You seem very poorly informed, and you are spreading false rumors.  
This came from Pauls mouth. Unless he was just talking it up and not explaining himself fully...

If I remember correctly it was Chubby Rain that asked him at the event while I was sitting right there. Chub may know.

Team Josh Potucek
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 08:27:24 pm »

Do you know this to be true?  Do you have knowledge of the VM sponsorship?

I know this to be false.  VM sponsorship does not extend to small, local tournaments. 

You seem very poorly informed, and you are spreading false rumors. 

I asked Paul what VM sponsorship entailed, while playing against Josh in round 1. He stated that tournament fees, certain expenses, and certain incentives were included though I confess that I do not know whether this particular tournament was covered or any more details beyond that.

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
Tammit67
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 08:52:07 pm »

Regardless of what happened in top 8, it sounded like an otherwise great event and I am sorry I didn't make the trip

Matthew Bevenour
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 09:51:32 pm »

It was a great event and thanks to Calvin for hosting and having great prize support; I was extremely happy to make Top 4 and head home with original foils of Tezzeret the Seeker and Engineered Explosives.  It's all but guaranteed that one day soon the former will -0 for the latter and save my life from those renegade Spirit tokens.  Another big shout out for Cavern of Souls in Oath of Druids because Griselbrand and his post-sb buddy the Sphinx really love being in my hand instead of in library where they belong.  Though the Caverns are primarily there to push through fast Aurioks or post-Cage Oathed up Aurioks, they came through big time in forcing through multiple Sphinxes and Griselbrands throughout the day that would have been otherwise Forced or Drained.  

I didn't witness the controversial match in question but I played Paul immediately afterwards in the T4.  I didn't see any foul play and the experience matches the account; he was physically stressed and seemed unwell, which is common at the close of day-long events.  

Whatever occurred prior, I'm confident that Matt's intentions in raising the matter are benign.  The first time I ever played against Matt, he drew a Swords to Plowshares game 1 that was supposed to be in his sideboard, revealed it to me, and conceded on the spot.  I told him that wasn't necessary because it was an honest mistake but he insisted.  To me, that demonstrated integrity and a strong sense of right/wrong.  I can't attest to whether anyone cheated at this event, but I can attest that if the issue was raised by him for discussion, it was not done out of a personal vendetta, glory-seeking, or a salacious desire to spread rumors.  And as others have said, the lesson is clear; where there is ambiguity, a judge should be called.  This is important not only to catch dishonest players but also to exonerate honest players where there has simply been confusion.  

On another note, I give props to David Kaplan for handling his second to last round in the Swiss admirably.  He was paired against a very young player who I had never seen at a Vintage event and the match went to time.  At that point, only the younger player had an opportunity to make Top 8 if he won both matches and David had the opportunity and cause to deny him a concession merely out of spite (in which case neither would advance), but set a better example for the newcomer and conceded.  

Thanks again to Calvin for an awesome event and I look forward to next month's.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:23:41 am by brianpk80 » Logged

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
TripleAgent
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 12:42:42 am »

Even though I played like crap Embarassed, I had a really fun time. Shout out to everyone there and Calvin for a great event. I will try to make the next, but I will be on point lol.
katybird
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 01:59:33 pm »

This was my first Vintage event and I had a blast.  Before that day I had only done a lot of reading and discussion about the format, as well as watched some tournament play and streaming.  I will admit that reading this thread was a little disheartening but I'm going to choose to remember just how much fun I had, how nice and respectful everyone was to me and how it was a great learning experience.

Thank you Calvin for EVERYTHING/the event, Mike for the venue and everyone else for allowing me to have fun playing Magic again.  It's made me want to play again!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: