TheManaDrain.com
August 18, 2019, 06:36:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old School magic on MTGO?  (Read 2007 times)
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:26:49 pm »

Is it possible to play 93/94 on MTGO? I guess some important cards are probably missing, right? I would guess mostly cards from Legends... Anyone doing this anyway?
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:30:00 pm »

I think that defeats the purpose of the format.  You can't capture the feel with Magic Online.

KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 01:04:05 am »

Not only would you miss the purpose of the format, you would have to code in an entirely new ruleset into MTGO.

Interrupts, Mana Sources.  Yeah, you're almost playing a different game.

Share your passion for the Art of Magic the Gathering!

www.originalmagicart.com
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:22:33 am »

Not only would you miss the purpose of the format, you would have to code in an entirely new ruleset into MTGO.

Interrupts, Mana Sources.  Yeah, you're almost playing a different game.

That's actually not the issue, because most people who play Old School Magic play under modern rules, but with perhaps just a few tweaks (like errata on Chaos Orb and Winter Orb), or permitting mana burn. 

Magic Online doesn't have Chaos Orb, so that's a problem.  But Old School Magic is also about the aesthetic of the old cards.  Playing Magic Online doesn't capture that.  That's more of what I meant.

KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:20:07 am »

Ahhhh that you played with the old ruleset as well.

Share your passion for the Art of Magic the Gathering!

www.originalmagicart.com
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 11:49:46 am »

I know it defeats the purpose of the format, in a sense. But where I live is pretty impossible to gather people to play that IRL. And I really like decklists I've seen, I'd like to play. The thing is I think there are a few staples (like Land's Edge) that haven't been implemented on MTGO. Am I right?
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 03:10:41 pm »

Thanks, zeus. Razz

I just wanted to play some of the decks with other people because they are a lot of fun. And it ain't gonna happen IRL for me ever.
Vennie
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 08:19:37 am »

You can always try it on cockatrice or MWS if you like. You just need to find some poeple willing to do this with you. But without the costs involved that might just be easier.

icecoldbath
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 02:47:48 pm »

As someone who played magic as a tween during the 93/94 era, but sold their paper collection years ago to buy a car and pay for a semester of college and who now only plays mtgo due to time restraints, but has a fairly extensive and growing mtgo collection, I'd be interested in playing some casual old school online.

I know we don't have the dexterity cards (although wotc could fix chaos orb easily with errata to 1 card, plus rng) but are there any other important cards we are missing?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: