TheManaDrain.com
April 19, 2019, 05:35:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: TMD MTGO Open - October 19th  (Read 8982 times)
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 05:48:24 pm »

... getting close to 10 pre-registered players. Not bad. Let's try to keep the momentum going! If you were thinking of preregistering, now is as good a time as any. PM me or ping me on MTGO.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 11:13:24 pm »

Just signed up. This is probably the best opportunity remaining to test prior to Champs (at least it will be if more people join).

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 12:14:38 am »

Is there a deadline to submit our final decklist by? I'm planning on playing in a tournament this Saturday and might want to change around a few cards depending upon how that goes.
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 03:59:20 pm »

Is there a deadline to submit our final decklist by? I'm planning on playing in a tournament this Saturday and might want to change around a few cards depending upon how that goes.

The deadline is the day of the event. You can change the decklist as many times as you want before that date.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 02:38:43 pm »

Just for clarity, the early registration deadline is 10:00am EST on Friday October 17. This means you need to register on gatherling (decklist can be edited freely until Sunday) AND submit your entry fee, correct, Shockwave? Also, Shockwave, when are you going to be online to collect the entry fee?
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 03:03:08 pm »

Just for clarity, the early registration deadline is 10:00am EST on Friday October 17. This means you need to register on gatherling (decklist can be edited freely until Sunday) AND submit your entry fee, correct, Shockwave? Also, Shockwave, when are you going to be online to collect the entry fee?

Correct. I'm online pretty much all the time. I also respond to PMs on here pretty quickly.

- Theodore Roosevelt
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 09:54:25 am »

If anyone has any intention of playing in this event, please sign up immediately. We really need to get a firm understanding of how many players are interested. Obv, with a player "sponsored" prize pool, we need a critical number of players to participate in order to achieve the targets and we are far short of that goal right now.
youhavenogame
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 03:30:51 pm »

I really wish I could attend this, but nope, one of the very few Sundays that I have reserved for something else... Sad
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 10:09:51 pm »

T-minus 11 hours...

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2014, 10:02:18 am »

I shudder to think what Eternal Weekend will look like if this is a preview.

Delvers for days...

Share your passion for the Art of Magic the Gathering!

www.originalmagicart.com
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 10:40:17 am »

I shudder to think what Eternal Weekend will look like if this is a preview.

Delvers for days...

Thanks to Treasure Cruise, I think there are going to be a ton of Delver decks at EW. It only compounds things that you don't need a full set of power for the deck and many of the other pieces besides the lands are fairly cheap. It's also a prime candidate for all those unpowered decks aiming for that top prize. I would definitely account for having to play that match more than once during the swiss rounds.
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2014, 02:46:45 pm »

It ended up being a small turnout of 14 players, who graciously accepted my renege on the prize structure, otherwise I would have taken a serious hit. I'm not too sure why the attendance/interest was so low, given that the premiere event easily maxed out. Any feedback would be appreciated.

All in all, it ended up being a smooth 5 Round event, with cut to Top 4.

T4:

TheAtogLord (Delver) vs. Diophan (Delver)
Montolio (MUD) vs. Beyondstupid (Dredge)

T2:

Montolio vs. Diophan

Winner: Montolio

Top 4 split 70 tix each. Thanks to all for supporting the event. Hope to do another one in the near future.

- Theodore Roosevelt
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2014, 02:59:32 pm »

Thanks for organizing! I haven't been able to play in a daily for well over a month so being able to play a deck online somewhere that isn't the practice room was very refreshing.

It ended up being a small turnout of 14 players, who graciously accepted my renege on the prize structure, otherwise I would have taken a serious hit. I'm not too sure why the attendance/interest was so low, given that the premiere event easily maxed out. Any feedback would be appreciated.

If the time slot was chosen to allow Europeans to attend, I think it would make more sense to have it on Saturday so it doesn't get too late in the day before the workweek starts. On that note, perhaps other people are social and actually go out late on Friday nights, but I feel like Saturday a couple hours later would encourage more west coast people to join, but since it's not Sunday night most of the Europeans would be willing to stay up. Thoughts from people who are actually on either of these ends of the time spectrum would probably help.
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2014, 03:09:50 pm »

The issue with having events on Saturday is that they could then conflict with the in-person Vintage tournaments that are usually run on that day.  As for MTGO, I would consider (reluctantly) tolerating the horrible software and prize support but the fact that Bomberman is unplayable (as is Dragon) because the program time-penalizes you by forcing you to iterate every single step of the combo is a 100% dealbreaker for me. 

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
Ahab1248
Basic User

Ahab1248
View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2014, 06:47:38 pm »

To be fair only  a single PE maxed out. All others failed to attract even the minimum number of participants. A couple of thoughts, personally, the increasing entry fee turned me off. My life is busy enough that I am not going to be able to pre register for this sort of event and I am not willing to pay an additional fee to participate in an event because of it. Secondly, I wonder if the proximity to eternal weekend may have been an issue. I.e. People not wanting to give away their tech. Thanks for hosting this and supporting the online community.  I hope more of this sort of event are held and that in the future I can participate.

Yawgmoth's Will....
I think I win
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2014, 06:58:53 pm »

PE's never fired because the start time for every single PE was when people were still playing in round 2 or 3 of the early DE. Because DE's are easier to fire, and for grinders represent a better source of QP's, those events filled up. If Mike Turian simply took my suggestion to move the PE from between the 2 evening DE's so that they did not conflict, far more than 1 would have fired.

Regardless, if a similar event is to happen again in the future, some changes to the structure will need to be made. The problem with lowering the entry fee is that the prizes have to be much lower as well. There has to be a happy medium though where the prizes are sufficient enough to attract people to the event, but the buy-in not deter people away. Any one have a suggestion along these lines, with an estimated ~30 players?
worstbandnameever
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2014, 07:01:22 pm »

I would have played but I don't check the forum enough to know about it.  I head about it today on Reddit and it was already too expensive to register on the last day.
dragzz
Basic User

=P

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2014, 08:14:56 pm »

I think the entrance is fair if you prereg, but the the price for registering late is too much. A $5 difference might be enough to get people to prereg while not turning off those that registering late.

Thanks for running the event! Hoping for a next one in the near future!

mtgo: genpex
MisterFoote
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 12:51:33 pm »

I agree with this idea.  I think an entrance of 20 is fine.  No need to worry about prize support for the time being.  I'm fairly sure the top 4 was more than happy to walk away with 70 tickets each.  As much as I hate splitting, it's nice to see people satisfied with the result.  That said, lets just keep these going.  Make the entrance flat rate of 20 tickets and now that more of us have had experience with the website we can get others involved more easily.  If we want to up the ante a bit as things go on or hold a once monthly for 50 or something, I'm sure that would be awesome too.  Just throwing ideas out there.  I had a great time and thanks to shockwave and enderfall for putting it together. 
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2014, 01:14:05 pm »

I will say that the graduated entrance fee did discourage me from entering.  I wasn't sure I would be able to play until Saturday and, by that time, prices had doubled.  Not to say that 40 tickets was too much given the advertised prize structure, but it presented a larger than necessary hurdle to justify entering.

One of the main draws of a MTGO tournament for me is convenience (barring glitches in the program which are ever present), and such a stark contrast in entry fees makes pre-registration feel mandatory instead of a bonus.

I think a discount for Pre-Reg is a great idea, but making it 100% more expense on the day of the event is a bit off-putting, even if the doubled entry fee is still fairly reasonable.

The other consideration is the terrible state of MTGO.  I was able to observe a couple matches of the tournament and in one game, MTGO glitched and may have cost a player the game.  There is no recompense as these are player run events, but man it really sucks to depend on such an undependable piece of software.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:17:53 pm by KrauserKrauser » Logged

www.originalmagicart.com
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 06:54:11 pm »

Ok, next time we'll have a more lenient entry fee --- something like $20 early, $30 on the day of the event, or something like that. Thanks for the feedback.

- Theodore Roosevelt
yugular
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 12:48:07 am »

Did someone record any of this?

I would love to attend events like this, but I live in Europe which makes pretty much all time schedules poor for me Sad
youhavenogame
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 05:08:57 am »

Montolio did. I haven't looked whether he already uploaded some of it, but it should be on YT soon.

I would love to attend events like this, but I live in Europe which makes pretty much all time schedules poor for me Sad

The event started at 4 pm mid-Europe time and finished at around 9 o'clock. Probably not the most family friendly timeslot, but it can't get that much better for Europeans (and personally I prefer mid-day events over the ones starting very early or very late).
Montolio
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 08:39:52 am »

Here are my videos. Sorry about 4'th video with my kids screaming and yelling in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIZGDXjXfxEi3SJICKktAA/videos

I've sparred with Demon's from the Nine Hells I say. I shall barely break a sweat here today!
Twitter handle @TheALPHA7
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 09:15:51 am »

Any chance we will get the Top 4 or Top 8 decklists?

I know that roughly half the field was Delver, but still interested to see what choices were made

www.originalmagicart.com
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 10:07:34 am »

Any chance we will get the Top 4 or Top 8 decklists?

I know that roughly half the field was Delver, but still interested to see what choices were made

You can see all the decklists here: http://www.gatherling.com/eventreport.php?event=TMD%20MTGO%20Open%201.01
KrauserKrauser
Adepts
Basic User

DAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 11:06:44 am »

Very interesting.

I wonder what impact the high cost of Misdirection, Hurkyl's, Show and Tells and Wasteland is having on the metagame.  Obviously many people wanted to try out the Delver deck but I would expect Oath to be happy to play against creature heavy decks but is hamstrung by the cost of Show & Tell.

www.originalmagicart.com
Hrishi
Basic User

hrishikesh29@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:37 pm »

Not to go off-topic, but Show and Tell was promo'd a month or so ago so you can get them kinda cheap I think?

Lyna turned to the figure beside her. "They're gone. What now?"
"As ever," said Urza, "we wait."
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 02:13:32 pm »

Not to go off-topic, but Show and Tell was promo'd a month or so ago so you can get them kinda cheap I think?

Yeah you could get them for 25-30 tix right when they came out. You can still get from bots for ~35 tix. Also the modern hype on Jeskai ascendancy has caused the Hurkyl's recall price to tank quite a bit, so they are a more reasonable 32 tix. Wasteland is still pretty insane though. Personally I would like to give shops a try on modo, but I'm not spending 400 tix on the wastelands.
dragzz
Basic User

=P

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 04:39:02 pm »

I would have run 1~2 Misdirections if they didn't cost $100, and would probably have played a few copies of wasteland.

I'm primarily playing Delver because a lot of the pieces overlap with Modern and Legacy, which is a huge plus if you play or plan to play other formats.

mtgo: genpex
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: