TheManaDrain.com
February 20, 2019, 06:43:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: TMD MTGO Open - October 19th  (Read 8867 times)
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:01:55 am »

Date: Sunday October 19th 2014
Start Time: 10:00AM EST

Cost:

> 3 days in advance = 20 tix
24-48 hours in advance = 30 tix
12-24 hours in advance = 35 tix
0-12 hours in advance = 40 tix

Format: Vintage
Structure: Swiss with cut to Top 8
Player Limit: 64

Guaranteed Prizes (in MTGO tix):

1st - 450
2nd - 250
3rd - 130
4th - 130
5th - 80
6th - 80
7th - 80
8th - 80

How to Register:

1. Contact Shock Wave on TMD to arrange for entry fee payment.
2. Register on www.gatherling.com using your MTGO username.
3. From the Player Control panel, register for TheManaDrain event.
4. From the Player Control panel, submit your decklist.

Notes:

How to Claim Prizes:

All prizes will be distributed on the evening of October 23rd starting at 20:00 EST. Unclaimed prizes will be held for up to 30 days. Contact Shock Wave on TMD for all prize related inquiries.

Game Play:

- On the day of the event, join the #TMDMTGOOPEN chat room. Players can join by typing "#TMDMTGOOPEN" in the chat dropdown menu. Pairings and all other communication will occur through this chat room.

- Games are played in Constructed Open Play > Getting Serious. Games must be set as Vintage, timed at 25 minutes, watchable, best 2 of 3, and be marked "TMD OPEN ROUND X" (where X is the number of the current round).

- First person listed makes table. Players have 10 minutes to make and join tables from time of pairings announcement.

- Deck changes between games are not allowed. Anyone caught cheating will be immediately disqualified from the event without refund, and banned from any future events.

- Talking as a spectator is not allowed. There are no exceptions to this rule and there will be no warnings. Players in violation can be immediately disqualified from the event (at the TO's discretion).

- Results must be posted via gatherling Player CP before intermission. Results posted in the TMDMTGOOPEN chat room, or via PM will be ignored. Results not posted before intermission will be declared a 0-0 draw, and both players eliminated.

- Bullying, mobbing, foul language, & general rudeness will not be tolerated. This includes "snide remarks" about decks/playing ability, personal attacks, racial slurs, etc. A player may receive up to 1 warning before being disqualified. At the TO's discretion, a player may be immediately disqualified for violating this rule.

Registered Players:

1. XShockWaveX
2. enderfall
3. diophan
4. dain5
5. genpex
6. The Atog Lord
7. ChubbyRain
8. Garlan
9. beyondstupid
10. Regero
11. Montolio
12. youhavenogame
13. Cownose
14. footemanchu
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:40:22 am by Shock Wave » Logged

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
evouga
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:59:30 am »

Thanks for organizing! I have a couple of questions:

1. Will players be allowed to ID?
2. What is the deadline for submitting decklists?
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:13:37 am »

Thanks for organizing! I have a couple of questions:

1. Will players be allowed to ID?
2. What is the deadline for submitting decklists?

Good questions.

1. IDs are not allowed.
2. Decklists should be submitted immediately after registration. If a decklist change needs to be made afterwards, you can edit the deck from the gatherling control panel.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
youhavenogame
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 12:43:58 pm »

Will multitabling be allowed? Wink

Sadly I don't think I will be available that day... I did like your first date for the tournament better Sad
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:51:51 pm »

I probably won't be around that day either =/

But I'll try my best!
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:17:20 pm »

Been a couple weeks since the official announcement and there hasn't been much discussion. Are people not interested in this kind of event?
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 01:47:59 am »

I'm really interested in this, and unless something comes up, I plan to play. I think that this is the best hope for having Vintage on MODO actually be viable, and I applaud Rich for making this happen.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
dragzz
Basic User

=P

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 03:28:37 am »

I don't think people are seeing this, I've been checking TMD quite often and just saw the topic. I'm planning to join this one, just waiting for Khans to be released in MODO, try some things out before finalizing my deck list.

Is there a minimum number of players for this event?

mtgo: genpex
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »

I don't think people are seeing this, I've been checking TMD quite often and just saw the topic. I'm planning to join this one, just waiting for Khans to be released in MODO, try some things out before finalizing my deck list.

No, but I'm actually considering cancelling the event, since nobody has preregistered, and there doesn't seem to be much interest overall. I think I've seen about 10 players express interest, which is hardly enough to justify running this event.

- Theodore Roosevelt
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 01:04:29 pm »

What is the best way to get the word out? Do we need people like smennen, Kevin Cron, et. al to post to twitter and make an announcement in their podcast/articles/etc?
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »

If the event gets canceled, then it might be because the word didn't get out sufficiently well. If so, that might be remedied by folks using Twitter and Facebook to make the event better known. On the other hand, the fact that the event isn't drawing as much attention might simply reflect the state of Vintage on MODO. Wizards of the Coast threw their propaganda machine behind the Vintage Masters Championship, and many of its qualifiers still failed to fire.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I think that the fact that a well-supported tournament being hosted by a respected and well-regarded member of the community has had no pre-registration may be a symptom of something negative happening with the direction of Vintage on MODO. There have been a number of threads already discussing its shortcomings, which wouldn't make sense to revisit in this thread. Multiple high-profile Vintage community members who began on MODO with enthusiasm are now sitting on the sidelines. It may be time for a broader discussion of whether MODO-Vintage is actually worth our support as a community, and if so, how that would be accomplished.

enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 03:02:46 pm »

I'm not too concerned about the registration #'s (or lack there of) to date. I've run PRE's on MTGO before and invariably, people register within the few days before the event starting. I'd be concerned if by October 14/15 if we don't have more than a couple people registered. A lot of people won't want to commit to something like this if they aren't 100% sure they can attend at the moment, IMHO.
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 03:32:08 pm »

I'm not sure why players have not preregistered yet, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to dig into why. Maybe it has been poor advertising, MODO hate, etc ... who knows. I thought the prizes alone would have been enough to get a few players committed by now, but that has not been the case. If anyone is willing to help promote this event, that would be be great, but I haven't had any offers.

- Theodore Roosevelt
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 03:35:59 pm »

Nat Moes sent out a tweet a couple hours ago. (thanks Nat)

I'm working on getting a "banner" posted on MTGOAcademy.com and i've posted over on classicquarter.com. I'll continue to periodically tweet about it myself.
GrandpaBelcher
Adepts
Basic User

1000% Serious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 03:42:41 pm »

I'll send this out a few more times. Hope people show up!

Cast Force of Love and help support the Serious Vintage podcast and streaming!
https://teespring.com/seriousvintage
diophan
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 04:16:53 pm »

No, but I'm actually considering cancelling the event, since nobody has preregistered, and there doesn't seem to be much interest overall. I think I've seen about 10 players express interest, which is hardly enough to justify running this event.

I, like I imagine plenty of others, have not narrowed down a deck yet and wanted to test Khans cards before submitting. If this is in danger of being cancelled I can certainly sign up and change decklists later.
Coopes
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 05:36:33 pm »

I, like I imagine plenty of others, have not narrowed down a deck yet and wanted to test Khans cards before submitting. If this is in danger of being cancelled I can certainly sign up and change decklists later.

I'm in the same boat. Was waiting to test out treasure cruise/dig but..no events firing and I hate 2 man testing. Either way, can submit a deck as well if you need it now.
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 07:41:09 pm »

I'm not sure why players have not preregistered yet, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to dig into why. Maybe it has been poor advertising, MODO hate, etc ... who knows. I thought the prizes alone would have been enough to get a few players committed by now, but that has not been the case. If anyone is willing to help promote this event, that would be be great, but I haven't had any offers.

Prizes are great, but I think the bigger issue is timing and convenience.  There is no way I can compete in a 10AM eastern time tournament online when I live on the west coast. 

Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 08:10:33 pm »

Prizes are great, but I think the bigger issue is timing and convenience.  There is no way I can compete in a 10AM eastern time tournament online when I live on the west coast. 

I'm trying to make it as convenient as possible for everyone. I can't cater to East coast, West coast, Europe, Asia ... 10AM EST seemed like somewhat of a happy medium. Would 11AM EST start make much of a difference for West coast players?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 08:22:15 pm »

I just modified the original post to indicate the registered players. I encourage everyone to register as soon as possible in order to create some momentum.

- Theodore Roosevelt
GrandpaBelcher
Adepts
Basic User

1000% Serious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 08:55:38 pm »

Really? You can't get up at 6 and be ready to go in an hour? I can see that this is an inconvenience that would require some schedule adjustment and some coffee or Red Bull, but is this worse than getting up early and driving from Columbus to RIW or Pittsburgh?

Cast Force of Love and help support the Serious Vintage podcast and streaming!
https://teespring.com/seriousvintage
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 09:09:20 pm »

Really? You can't get up at 6 and be ready to go in an hour? I can see that this is an inconvenience that would require some schedule adjustment and some coffee or Red Bull, but is this worse than getting up early and driving from Columbus to RIW or Pittsburgh?

The only time I've ever seen 6am was to make a flight or because I hadn't gone to bed yet.

Plus, I'm going to be in LA that weekend. 

enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 10:25:37 pm »

Anyone concerned about picking a deck can simply register for the tournament on gatherling without submitting a deck. You can also submit a deck, and edit it as many times as you like up until the event starts.

EDIT: In order to register without submitting a deck, simply click on the "Register" button from your Player CP page next to the event listing. On the next page, where it asks to enter the deck, simply ignore it and close the window or go somewhere else. You registered simply by clicking the "Register" button. You can go back to your Player CP page at any point to edit your deck. It will appear in the list on the top left side of the Player CP page, in red text.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:56:16 am by enderfall » Logged
dragzz
Basic User

=P

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 01:43:10 am »

I'm from the west coast and I wouldn't mind waking up at 6 for the event. I would seriously prefer the earlier timeslot which allows me to do something else in the afternoon, I would need to give my brain a jolt though - I'm not a morning person =P.

If helps momentum, I would preregister next week. As with some folks here, I was just waiting to test out Khans before committing, and see if there are shifts in the meta game. Since we could still change the deck list prior to the event, early registration shouldn't be a problem.

I'm really hoping this event pushes through.

mtgo: genpex
thecrav
Basic User

Seems good.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 05:44:16 pm »

I'll be editing the next episode of Everyday Eternal tonight - I'll toss in a mention Very Happy

Instead of tearing things down we should calmly explain our opinions.
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 09:04:50 am »

Shockwave: Maybe you can edit the title of the OP to include the date of the tournament?
KIP_NZ
Super Cool
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 01:43:23 pm »

I'll be editing the next episode of Everyday Eternal tonight - I'll toss in a mention Very Happy

Sam well done. You drew my attention too this. This is at 3am local time in my country but I will still be there, I will be registering soon & even if I don't play due to life getting in the way (unlikely at 3am!) I'll be happy for my 20 tix to go too a good cause.
Regards KIP_NZ / AlphaQnz on MTGO
KIP_NZ
Super Cool
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 03:04:41 pm »

Oh rats. I just realised this is Sunday not Saturday. I cannot make this afterall as this is
Monday morning for me, I have work 4 hours after this starts.
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 10:33:13 am »

Don't forget, only a couple more days left to get in for early registration!
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 05:46:00 pm »

I just signed up!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: