TheManaDrain.com
February 15, 2019, 11:11:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DCI Suspended Players & Unsanctioned Vintage Events  (Read 4103 times)
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2014, 07:36:03 am »

With the recent DCI suspensions, I've been asked publicly and privately whether I'd accept entrance of a suspended player into one of my events.  The answer is a very clear and resounding no.  Only players eligible to play in a DCI sanctioned tournament will be allowed to play in any of my events.

Nick Coss and Ray Robillard have echoed this sentiment, and if you're a Vintage T/O and you want to stand in unison with T/Os who have made this clear, feel free to post here.

I'm posting this on TMD because it's more public than Facebook. 

Playing Vintage is a privilege and shouldn't be treated as a backup plan for cheaters who have been caught and disqualified.

"Iíll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
ErtaiAdept
Adepts
Basic User

cmasley1218
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 07:59:00 am »

Absolutely agree.  The same standard will be held for my events.

Bill Copes bought me a beer after using the power of his mind to remove all the Bazaars and Serum Powders from my deck in two consecutive games.

Team TMD
"Dice have six sides for a reason.  There is no excitement in surety my friend."
infant_no_1
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 10:21:57 am »

Same for anything I am involved with in Texas. Only eligible players will be allowed.
My reasoning is this: if you got suspended for cheating in a sanctioned then what is going to stop that same behaviour in an event that is not sanctioned.

-j-

Greg
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 11:08:15 am »

This is a fantastic and important gesture for our mostly unsanctioned community.

I applaud all tournament organizers that are publicly taking this stance and I encourage the others to follow suit.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 11:29:02 am »

Only players eligible to play in a DCI sanctioned tournament will be allowed to play in any of my events.

Just out of curiosity, is there an exception for WotC employees?

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Prospero
Aequitas
Administrator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 11:30:52 am »

Only players eligible to play in a DCI sanctioned tournament will be allowed to play in any of my events.

Just out of curiosity, is there an exception for WotC employees?

There would be (for me at least).

"Iíll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
Iíll drown my book."

The Return of Superman

Prospero's Art Collection
Demagoguery
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 11:46:58 am »

I stand behind this sentiment fully and would not participate in events that allowed banned players to play in them.

Vintage events are unsanctioned as a necessity for attendance, not to circumvent the DCI and their policies on cheating.
PDM
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:25:08 pm »

It doesn't matter to me as long as they take the sex offender route and have to introduce themselves to their opponents each round as a known cheater and a confession of their methods of cheating -- "Hi, i'm Alexis, I play multiple lands a turn, pre-sideboard, cannot be trusted to shuffle either of our decks and have a generally poor and disrespectful attitude, would you like to roll to see who goes first?"

It is common knowledge that there are known cheaters in the vintage community that are unbanned that can play in events. Seems like a double standard to me, a cheater is a cheater, we should let them in, or we should bar all known cheaters in our completely casual unsanctioned tournaments.

Either way I commend the stance.
KIP_NZ
Super Cool
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 06:33:32 pm »

I help arrange vintage events both sanctioned and non-sanctioned here in NZ, when we had the first all proxy event 2 years ago there was a known vintage player who was serving out a suspension who announced on his FB he'd be attending our event.

I had someone reach out to him on the quiet and tell him he wouldn't be allowed to play due to his suspension & he didn't travel to the event. I later found out that several people who I'd have expected to turn up didn't because they thought he was going to be there and didn't want to be paired vs him. I've always felt I made the wrong decision by trying to handle this quietly, I should have very publicly announced that people currently serving suspensions from the DCI would not be allowed to enter my event (at that time there was exactly 1 suspended player from NZ) & I applaud your public stance.

gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:02:58 pm »

I commend you for asserting your opinions about this matter and could not agree more. 

Cheating has no place in this game.  I hope convicted cheaters never pick up another magic card in their lives.  I know if I ever play the likes of Jared Botchner or Trevor Humphries in a sanctioned event 4 years from now, you better believe that I call a judge to the table and tell him to make sure to watch my opponent because he is a "known cheater."  I'll be so demonstrative and loud about it to make sure everyone in the room knows how disrespectful my opponent is that they either get unnerved or realized how unwelcome they are. 

With that being said, what about a situation like Guillaume Wafo-Tapa who was banned by the DCI for giving away the God Book?  Which to me seems hypocritical at best.  How anyone should have access to that list before anyone else is beyond me.  It creates an unfair market dynamic, especially with card speculation. 
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 01:51:54 am »

During the late 2000's Eudemonia P9 series, one of our regulars got banned for a time by DCI because in a team event, one of his teammates cheated (smuggling in extra cards, like say, skullclamp), and the whole team did a 6 months supsension.

The Vintage player among the group wasn't the cheater, and he claims that he had no idea that his teammate did the cheating/intended to cheat, and was simply on that persons team.

Our TO/Judge didn't let this player play, even though none of us thought that player was a cheater.

But the judge said the tourney would be run as a regular sanctioned tourney, except it's unsanctioned and we get 10 proxies.

I was stunned initially, but eventually respected the head judge for his decision.

My point, keep in mind: Not all banned from DCI are cheaters/bad people.  One of our locals endured an almost 2+ year suspension for stuff that had politics involved. (Judges are human, and hence flawed).  It's all over, everything good, but those are my thoughts on the topic.

It's up to the judge/TO

sirgog
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 06:47:51 pm »

Not a TO, but my attitude would be "You are welcome unless I believe, beyond reasonable doubt, that you willingly cheated". Or did something as bad.

For the Skullclamp issue above, I'd consider it 'more likely than not' that the regular involved willingly colluded with the teammate that was caught cheating, but not 'beyond reasonable doubt', so I'd accept them in the event and warn judges 'this person has a history of maybe cheating, watch them'.

Wafo-Tapa would have been fine by me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: