TheManaDrain.com
January 21, 2020, 07:32:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: South Park does Magic: The Gathering  (Read 2411 times)
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:34:30 am »

http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/p9i8uw/south-park-cock-magic-season-18-ep-1808

Obviously NOT SAFE FOR WORK...

It was so offensive (yet funny), I can't believe it aired!

Demagoguery
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 02:21:07 am »

I posted this on Salvation:

While I liked the episode I thought Magic being in it actually made it worse, almost like it was some kind of bad marketing stint. Maybe it was some meta-humour about how the show about Yugioh doesn't make any sense when compared to the game, but I felt like listening to the plays wasn't entertaining as a Magic player and the way they did them wouldn't really make sense for a non-player either. For example, would it really change so much if they said Agony Warp over Peel from Reality? I'm sure none players could still get it, and it would make more sense to actual players that it kills a creature, and there are plenty of other similar such cards. Hell, even if they just made up funny card names over using real ones I would have enjoyed it more.

So yea, in short I liked the episode, mostly because of the Randy jokes, but the Magic stuff felt lacking and I don't get the Volleyball stuff, it just felt like they tacked on an extra issue for no reason that was never resolved.

Basically the episode just would have been funnier if they cut out the Magic stuff and did more with the other two plot threads. The Chimpokemon episode was also funnier, it touched on the things that were funny about Pokemon, as opposed to just going "Hey look, they're playing Pokemon, ain't that funny?"

But for you guys I got further, and as someone who played WoW pretty seriously, I think the WoW episode was a lot better (it's even one of my favourite episodes), it simply touched on aspects of the game that were more relevant to players in it while also inventing enough to be funny. I don't feel like the invented information of this episode really added anything, the humour simply wasn't there.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 03:03:52 am »

I watched the episode. It wasn't very funny. And the humor, where it did exist, wasn't really dependent on Magic, as Demagoguery pointed out above.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
wiley
Full Members
Basic User

garrettlwiley
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 06:56:02 am »

The only magic related joke I laughed at in the episode was about the free range chickens all being blue players that want to slow the game down and not let anybody have fun.  The rest of the time magic was being played it was fairly boring, which is probably the joke.

I will admit at being amused by the ESPN Illegal skit.

Team Arsenal
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 10:30:39 am »

I loled....you guys are nuts, that shit was hilarious Smile

edit**

watched it again....still hilarious!  "It was such pwnedge, it was almost repulsive."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:43:55 am by TheWhiteDragon » Logged

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
GrandpaBelcher
Adepts
Basic User

1000% Serious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 10:58:44 am »

I thought it was good. There were definitely scenes and lines that made me laugh, Magic-related and not. I agree that it missed some of the harder-hitting satire that makes South Park worthwhile. And Magic really could have been almost anything. Would the show have been any different if MTG were replaced with, say, Ascension? Probably not. It even works for Cock Ascension.

Cast Force of Love and help support the Serious Vintage podcast and streaming!
https://teespring.com/seriousvintage
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 11:16:23 am »

I laughed a couple times, but it left me wanting a little bit. I honestly hadn't watched an episode of SP for probably 10 years, so maybe I've outgrown it's humor. It did a good job capturing some elements of Magic, though going in I had completely different expectations on a "SP episode based upon Magic".
JarofFortune
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 11:18:54 am »

I'm a huge fan of edgy shock humor, and this episode had it in droves. I also found the magic parts funny for how weird they were(Everyone going crazy over a fugitive wizard, etc). Also, this episode will push magic even more into the mainstream. That is a good thing.

The Auriok have fought the metal hordes for so long now that knowing how to cripple them has become an instinct. -Metal Fatigue
GrandpaBelcher
Adepts
Basic User

1000% Serious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 11:28:53 am »

The episode was funnier than this: http://themeadery.org/articles/vintage-format-forever-changed-as-record-turnout-changes-vintage-format-forever

Cast Force of Love and help support the Serious Vintage podcast and streaming!
https://teespring.com/seriousvintage
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 11:37:02 am »

See that just makes me want Siege Rhinos more badly
Chubby Rain
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 03:08:07 pm »

I don't know, the Randy quote was pretty good.

“You’re damn right I’m bummed,” the embattled commentator said. “Finally, a format where I actually know how all the cards work and interact and there’s not even any coverage? It’s total B.S.”

"Why are we making bad decks? I mean, honestly, what is our reason for doing this?"

"Is this a Vintage deck or a Cube deck?" "Is it sad that you have to ask?"

"Is that a draft deck?" "Why do people keep asking that?"

Random conversations...
Lurker101
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 06:30:00 pm »

I thought it was one of the stronger episodes of the season. I was also super excited to see MtG get some coverage without any easy jokes directed at the game or players. A little more research into game mechanics would've added some inside humor potential and would've been nice but whatever. I thought if, for instance, the Panda Express was running vintage tournaments that would've been funny.
Montolio
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 08:07:16 pm »

I have never been a fan of South Park and I don't think I became one after watching this.
In Canada cock magic is sanctioned and legal, so South Park was a little over dramatic for me.

I've sparred with Demon's from the Nine Hells I say. I shall barely break a sweat here today!
Twitter handle @TheALPHA7
enderfall
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 08:11:12 pm »

I have never been a fan of South Park and I don't think I became one after watching this.
In Canada cock magic is sanctioned and legal, so South Park was a little over dramatic for me.

Cue the music: "BLAME CANADA!" Mr. Green
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: