TheManaDrain.com
April 09, 2020, 05:43:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Merchant Scroll in TPS?  (Read 1962 times)
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« on: April 27, 2015, 02:05:45 pm »

(When I say TPS here, I'm referring to all classes of ritual based combo not built around Gush/Fastbond. This includes Long style decks as well.)

I'm wondering what your experiences have been with Merchant Scroll in TPS and Long. Obviously if you've built around Gifts Ungiven, Merchant Scroll finds that card. Your only other good proactive choices are Brainstorm, Ancestral and Dig Through Time. You do get a wide range of potential defensive/reactive cards.

I've definitely found myself wanting a card like Thirst for Knowledge or Read the Bones to help get ahead in the midgame after casting a bunch of Preordains. I think that means we just want Merchant Scroll. I am concerned about how poor Scroll is if you've already cast Ancestral but can't cast Dig Through Time yet.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:42:01 pm by Anusien » Logged

Magic Level 3 Judge
Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 12:43:44 am »

I personally play it in my storm lists but I also run Mystical Tutor. I have Scrolled for Tutor just to Tutor for Will before. Not a common play but a game winner when it happens. Also Force of Will and Flusterstorm are instants you can grab as well.

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
Hrishi
Basic User

hrishikesh29@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:06:41 am »

I am concerned about how poor Scroll is if you've already cast Ancestral but can't cast Dig Through Time yet.

This was exactly my concern as well and the reason I do not run Merchant Scroll. It definitely has added value if you play cards such as flusterstorm and mystical tutor though.

Lyna turned to the figure beside her. "They're gone. What now?"
"As ever," said Urza, "we wait."
WhiteLotus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 06:32:50 pm »

I am really not a big fan of Merchant scroll in non Gush based storm decks, a tutor that can't fetch lotus, tendrils or ywill/desire/necro/... is really hurtful in most cases.
IMHO, unless you are playing gifts, fluster and force of will, I doubt it's the right choice to include scroll in your ritual deck.

Long variants should not play scroll, seeing as there are about a million better choices (see Imperial seal, Burning Wish, Grim tutor, Demonic Consultation, ...).

"Your first mistake was thinking I would let you live long enough to make a second."
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:08:57 pm »

Tutors for Will and tutors for Ancestral do dramatically different things. I've found a need for another card that draws me cards, moves me incrementally along the game, and helps me set up for a win, in a way that Grim Tutor wouldn't.

Magic Level 3 Judge
Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
WhiteLotus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 07:36:16 pm »

Tutors for Will and tutors for Ancestral do dramatically different things. I've found a need for another card that draws me cards, moves me incrementally along the game, and helps me set up for a win, in a way that Grim Tutor wouldn't.

I rarely tutor for ancestral recall in ritual decks honestly, I'd much rather tutor for necro, ywill, desire, academy or lotus. Merchant scroll can't get any of those cards. .

"Your first mistake was thinking I would let you live long enough to make a second."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: