TheManaDrain.com
April 25, 2019, 04:48:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mana Drain League First Trimester Decklists and Results  (Read 6243 times)
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 05:45:52 pm »

This is impossible to follow using the format you have.  You have decklists and reports conflated.  It would be much easier if you kept all of the decklists in a single link/post/thread, and all of the reports in separate links/posts/threads. 

What is it that potential observers are supposed to experience here?  We see the results before the videos? 

Why don't you organize or collect everything before posting it?

DaveKap
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 08:34:55 pm »

Sean Ottaway dominated me 2-0.

I kept back to back Library hands on the play, that went nowhere. Aggressively mulliganing into FoW/Karakas may have been right.
SeanOhh
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 08:52:21 pm »

As far as I can tell, there won't be any videos of the first couple weeks. I was under the impression Cockatrice saved them, but I can't seem to access the replays, anyone else? I'm going to try to set something up to record the match next week, we'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, match report vs Dave:

Week 2 against Dave Kaplan:

G1:

He's on the play, starts off with a Probe into a Library and passes. I frown, as my hand is very all-in.  I play a Mox and fetch a Trop, cast Oath. It resolves. His next turn he misses on land. I draw an Orchard, play it, cast a Preordain and see 2 Griselbrands. I'm basically forced to keep them both on top, draw one, and pass the turn. He misses on land again and that's gg as I Oath for the Griselbrand on top.

G2:
I side in 2 abrupt decay and 2 nature's claim. I'm still not sure where I want to be on those, but I figure 6 answers to cage and a little insurance against a delver/pyromancer can't be terrible. Dave once again starts off with a Library and passes. Thankfully no probe, so he doesn't see my hand has no counters. I play two moxes and an orchard, cast a preordain, bottom a Jace and top a Ponder. Cast Oath, it resolves. I'm sure he has the Cage. Or multiple Cages. He takes his turn, doesn't find an answer, and I Oath. Draw some cards, find Vault, also resolves. He never finds the Karakas (which I hadn't noticed was in his list, but he showed me later) and that's pretty much game as I go for the Key.

2-0, thanks to some great draws for myself and some not so great ones for him, sorry Dave! Hopefully we meet in a tournament soon (preferably the finals, where I'll be okay with you having better luck) Smile
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 10:19:54 pm »

This is impossible to follow using the format you have.  You have decklists and reports conflated.  It would be much easier if you kept all of the decklists in a single link/post/thread, and all of the reports in separate links/posts/threads. 

What is it that potential observers are supposed to experience here?  We see the results before the videos? 

If you want to criticize someone performing a harmless community service at no expense, you should do that in a way that comes across as constructive rather than scolding. 

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 10:43:46 pm »

This is impossible to follow using the format you have.  You have decklists and reports conflated.  It would be much easier if you kept all of the decklists in a single link/post/thread, and all of the reports in separate links/posts/threads.  

What is it that potential observers are supposed to experience here?  We see the results before the videos?  

If you want to criticize someone performing a harmless community service at no expense, you should do that in a way that comes across as constructive rather than scolding.  

I agree with you.  And my post was constructive rather than scolding.  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:53:52 pm by Smmenen » Logged

The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 10:56:23 pm »

Steve, you are right. There are ways that this league could be improved. You've certainly identified ways it could be improved, and you have experience in a Vintage league. If you have time to help this league run more smoothly, I'm sure that Matt would really appreciate your help.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 11:45:34 pm »

Unfortunately, i don't have time or interest in managing this league, but i thought it worthwhile to identify some low hanging fruit, easy, low cost adjustments, that could improve viewer experience. 

Creating separate threads or organizing content into single posts would make it mich more readable with almost no additional effort. There are lots of web based tools that can help, like email or shared drive to transmit and organize content before posting.  Just a suggestion.

msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 03:33:58 am »

I apologize for the formatting. I will fix this as soon as I can, I agree it can be hard to follow.
I wanted to make sure I could have multiple threads, for decklists one for results etc.
As for the videos, I'm still working on that part. If any of the participants has knowledge of that please help.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2015, 10:16:26 am »

Unfortunately, i don't have time or interest in managing this league, but i thought it worthwhile to identify some low hanging fruit, easy, low cost adjustments, that could improve viewer experience. 

Is it really for the viewers or the players?  I don't know what the people in charge of this tournament have in mind, Steve, but as one of the cats being herded here, I view it just as an organized way to play games and interact with people I've chatted with on Themanadrain for a long time.  It's the internet equivalent of Vintage FNM (rest in peace, little buddy) just stretched out for a long time. 

Steve, you are right. There are ways that this league could be improved. You've certainly identified ways it could be improved, and you have experience in a Vintage league. If you have time to help this league run more smoothly, I'm sure that Matt would really appreciate your help.

By the way: pay attention, folks.  This, THIS is how you deal with criticism.  At best, it improves things by getting more assistance.  At worst, it calls someone out who is not really trying to be productive.  This is elegant diplomacy at its finest.
Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2015, 03:18:40 pm »

I would need to test out a few things but I would be greatly interested in arranging streaming of matches of this event. I pretty much know all the ins and outs of how to set a stream up, I just need to see how spectating Cockatrice games would look and if they wanted dual cam commentators we could easily use google hangout, but once again I would need to test everything to see what works best.  I can easily make a Twitch page for it and set everything up easy I would just need someone to cast with (solo commentary is kinda awkward and it is nice to have someone to bounce ideas off) and what time frames would work for people.  Overlays and brackets are simple to make and I would be more than happy to put in the work for something like this!

So, @brianpk80 since this is your idea feel free to contact me if you're interested and/or you have any questions!

Tune in to coverage of The Mana Drain Vintage League! Sundays @ 9est/6pst: www.twitch.tv/hammybone
-Samuel Alaimo-
Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 03:50:47 pm »

I would need to test out a few things but I would be greatly interested in arranging streaming of matches of this event. I pretty much know all the ins and outs of how to set a stream up, I just need to see how spectating Cockatrice games would look and if they wanted dual cam commentators we could easily use google hangout, but once again I would need to test everything to see what works best.  I can easily make a Twitch page for it and set everything up easy I would just need someone to cast with (solo commentary is kinda awkward and it is nice to have someone to bounce ideas off) and what time frames would work for people.  Overlays and brackets are simple to make and I would be more than happy to put in the work for something like this!

So, @brianpk80 since this is your idea feel free to contact me if you're interested and/or you have any questions!

I've been trying to learn the basics of OBS but if you already know a system then the thing I'd be trying to do is get something like the VSL look with dual commentators. You can use google hangout to get 2 commentators at once? Also, if we want a "look" for the background you should talk to wappla on cockatrice as he is a graphic designer. I think this really isn't that hard. I also think that once we implement this we should have a more definite schedule (maybe not as strict as JUST tuesday night like the VSL) but some set times where we can record and then upload to youtube afterwards. If we have euros vs. americans then we can have a separate earlier morning time or late late night time for that. We could have like 2-3 casts a week to cover all the matches and each could be about 2-3 matches worth. That would be my best recommendation.

-Storm

"To light a candle is to cast a shadow. . ."

—Ursula K. Leguin
Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 04:02:10 pm »

I've been trying to learn the basics of OBS but if you already know a system then the thing I'd be trying to do is get something like the VSL look with dual commentators. You can use google hangout to get 2 commentators at once? Also, if we want a "look" for the background you should talk to wappla on cockatrice as he is a graphic designer. I think this really isn't that hard. I also think that once we implement this we should have a more definite schedule (maybe not as strict as JUST tuesday night like the VSL) but some set times where we can record and then upload to youtube afterwards. If we have euros vs. americans then we can have a separate earlier morning time or late late night time for that. We could have like 2-3 casts a week to cover all the matches and each could be about 2-3 matches worth. That would be my best recommendation.

-Storm

I am super familiar with OBS so that won't be a problem.  I am just not 100% on google hangout but there are always options.  VSL uses Skype but they use an intermediary (shown when they lose someone and the call doesn't drop) so the chat boxes are the same size.  That is the person who takes care of the overlays, gameplay and everything else so that is why it will be a bit more difficult to do 2 people but it is doable.  But the nice thing about watching MTG matches is that when you have everything set up you don't need to touch anything when the games are happening.

Basically I am happy to take on the workload cause I feel that more of things like this is great for the game and I am more than happy to help!

Tune in to coverage of The Mana Drain Vintage League! Sundays @ 9est/6pst: www.twitch.tv/hammybone
-Samuel Alaimo-
Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 04:30:04 pm »

awesome! yeah, if the google hangouts thing is an issue I think we should try the skype option. I think we just need a team of people to share the responsibilities of scheduling, contacting people, and commentating. I'm happy to be in the more organizer role as the tech side of things kinda gives me a headache. I COULD learn this stuff by scouring tutorials, but if someone like you already really knows it that would be better. Let's talk soon and maybe we can get a trial run ready soon so that by the second trimester we have it up and running.

-Storm

"To light a candle is to cast a shadow. . ."

—Ursula K. Leguin
Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2015, 05:07:18 pm »

awesome! yeah, if the google hangouts thing is an issue I think we should try the skype option. I think we just need a team of people to share the responsibilities of scheduling, contacting people, and commentating. I'm happy to be in the more organizer role as the tech side of things kinda gives me a headache. I COULD learn this stuff by scouring tutorials, but if someone like you already really knows it that would be better. Let's talk soon and maybe we can get a trial run ready soon so that by the second trimester we have it up and running.

-Storm

Sounds good!

-Samuel Alaimo-
Corvel
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2015, 05:48:08 pm »

Just wanted to commend everyone involved with this project. I greatly enjoyed watching VSL, though having less pros and more vintage regulars adds an interesting element in my mind. Not trying to talk down on player selection for VSL either, variety is good, and I'd like to see both leagues prosper in tandem. Perhaps even some player crossover would be possible as some point in future seasons, though I can't speak to that.

Sounds that everything is starting to come together nicely with fine tuning the stream process. To that effect I'd be pleased to offer my help with content publication here fourm side following the matches. I have a fair deal of experience related to fourms and presenting relevant info in an easy to follow format.

If any of the appropriate people involved to this point think that sounds useful, let me know, and we can set up a system to use myself as an intermediary for the raw data for future matches / deck lists. Happy to try to better organize what's already here too.

Hope to talk soon, and thanks for the creation of what looks to be a promising league!
Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2015, 01:32:57 pm »

-Storm

Sounds good!

So Google hangout is a no go but thanks to Wedge from The Mana Source I found out that you can actually have two skype accounts open at the same time, so that makes everything infinitely easier.  Spectating Cockatrice games is very simple so honestly all we need is an overlay for gameplay and an overlay for interviews.  I have a screenshot of how it would look pre-overlay:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dixdp8m9iqotxg/MainScreen.png?dl=0

Basically I am just unsure how sizing effects things because working with OBS it is scaled down.  I've tried asking people who make overlays for League of Legends players but I haven't gotten much back.  We do have a logo that is in the other thread.  So we have a lot of room to work with, above the skype window we can put the logo and we have a lot of empty space we can work with. So that's what I have so far! The basics of it are done, all we need is to make it look pretty!

-Samuel Alaimo-
nedleeds
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2015, 12:45:47 pm »

A super simple Wordpress site, blog form, might be useful.

http://vintagesuperleague.com/

for example uses the very basic wordpress with an entry per week, then wrap ups. This way anyone interested in your league who checks it out later in the *mester can go back and catch up in one place. Right now, even if I wanted to catch up or view the matches in your league it would be a little confusing to get started.

There are many options for cheap or free wordpress hosting.

(http://wpnode.net/free-wordpress-hosting/)
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2015, 02:05:15 pm »

I still need MaximumCDawg to show up on Cockatrice, but I managed to finish a very intense match with Wappla and I pulled it off 2-1.
If Wappla would like to write up some notes on the match he can, I have a poor memory. I remember that both games that I was on the play I started off with Library on 7. Also noting that in Game 3 I stabilized at 1 life.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
wappla
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2015, 02:43:48 pm »

G1 msg has Library into Remora into Back to Basics into Jace. I resolve Ancestral, Delver, Treasure Cruise and keep up for a while, bringing him down to 6 life. He establishes a Jace-Propaganda-Back to Basics soft lock but I have Gushes, Mox Sapphire and Basic Island to maintain hope. I Pyroblast Jace, but the fight allows Remora to draw into his second Jace. Clique eventually beats down.

G2 I have an proactive hand of 7 with 4 mana sources, Mystical Tutor, Preordain and Delver of Secrets. He has a counter for my T3 Pyromancer, and I am down to just a Scalding Tarn in hand, knowing my top card is Gush. He resolves Jace, but can't stop Gush. Had he had a counterspell for Gush, the game was over. My Gush finds Lightning Bolt and Dig Through Time, and the subsequent Dig finds Pyroblast and Young Pyromancer. After Pyromancer resolves, I throw Bolt and Pyroblast at Jace, the latter resolving. He follows with Clique, a Tabernacle to check Pyromancer, and, a turn later, Propaganda. I draw a Pyroblast for his Clique while he finds a second Propaganda, but only mana and counterspells thereafter. I am able to maintain a small army and beat down with Pyromancer to close out the game.

G3 also looks like a blowout. He has Library on the draw, followed by T2 Time Walk. He Forces my Pyroblast, and I feel ok having taken him off Library. He takes his extra turn and resolves Back to Basics, locking down my sole tapped Volcanic Island. I have enough lands to keep playing. He resolves Jace, I resolve Pyromancer. He Strips my sole Basic. I start beating down. His life starts at 16. Jacestorm finds Tabernacle and I am forced to pay into it with Back to Basics still on board. He tries to remove Pyromancer by flashing in Clique. I respond with Pyroblast on Back to Basics. He Missteps it. I Force back. He Drains. I Misdirect. When everything resolves, I have a Bolt in hand and 5 power on board, he is hellbent with Jace and 7 life. But Jace finds Propaganda. Pyromancer gets him to 5, Bolt sends him to 2. Jace is obliged to bounce Pyromancer. With 5 mana and two tokens facing Tabernacle and Propaganda I can attack with just one. At 1 life, Jace finds Clique and a Preordain which finds Ancestral. Meanwhile I draw 3 Delvers in a row. Eventually he finds more blue stuff to lock up.

I'm a bit upset to have run 0-3 and certainly upset that in 3 of my last 5 matches, my opponent had T1 Library. Looking forward to the next trimester.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:46:31 pm by wappla » Logged
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2015, 03:22:45 pm »

Just finished my match with MaximumCDawg. I won 2-0, game one he starts off with Hex Parasite, I let it resolve. I play island and Preordain. He then casts Demonic Consultation, I think for awhile with my hand full of counters, he is probably going for Depths, if I let it resolve I can counter Hexmage, but if he has Stage in hand I could just lose. I decide to let it resolve and sure enough he names Depths. The top 6 exile 2 Depths, a Hexmage and his only Stage, so I feel confident. he finds his Depths and puts it into hand. I Drain his Hexmage later on and Drain into Sphinx which draws me a ton of cards, including a Clique trigger on his as well as an Ancestral Recall targeting him. The combination of Clique and Sphinx forces a concession on his part.
Game two he started off once again with Parasite and I started off with Preordain. He plays a second Parasite and attempts to Twist my hand and it meets a Force. He then strips my Island and I am stuck on one mana for quite a few turns, while the Parasites are chipping away at my life total. I eventually get both Propaganda and Back to Basics out against him and he has no mana, he concedes once I cast Dig Through Time.

Note I misclicked when casting Dig and accidently put cards on the bottom of my library, he allows me to fix it and still concedes.

MaximumCDawg, if you have anything else you would like to add please do!\

This puts me at 3-0 for the first trimester!

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2015, 10:27:00 am »

Nope, that about sums it up!  I conceded after the sanfu with Dig because it was going to take awhile to resolve, I needed to get to 3 mana to attempt a Toxic Deluge, and I was not going to have time to get there.  My only mana source was Back to Basic'd, meaning I could only cast Deluge off Lotus, a land and a Ritual, or three lands; none of which could possibly resolve against a blue deck's full grip.

I brought a super soaker to a tank fight.  What can I say, I enjoy my weapons having bright orange tips.
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2015, 02:21:21 pm »

I will work on formatting the results and lists threads when the first trimester is officially over, most likely this weekend. I'm planning on organizing a thread for Decklists and a seperate thread for results. Once we figure out how to get the videos up I will have another thread for them as well. Thank you all for any assistance you can give with the video coverage and commentary.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
DaveKap
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2015, 11:15:48 pm »

Week 3

I beat Stormanimagus 2-1.
DaveKap
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2015, 11:16:47 pm »

2nd Trimester Deck:

4 Young Pyromancer
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Force of Will
4 Mental Misstep
2 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Preordain
1 Ponder
1 Brainstorm
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
3 Gush
1 Treasure Cruise
3 Dig Through Time
4 Volcanic Island
2 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Black Lotus
2 Dack Fayden
2 Spell Pierce
4 Delver of Secrets
1 Strip Mine
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Pyroblast
SB: 4 Ingot Chewer
SB: 2 Sudden Shock
SB: 3 Karakas
SB: 1 Mountain
SB: 1 Pyroblast
SB: 1 Sulfur Elemental
SB: 1 Flusterstorm
SB: 2 Shattering Spree
DaveKap
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2015, 11:22:00 pm »

Week 4:

I lost to jgs 1-2.
WhiteLotus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2015, 12:21:01 am »

Finished our week 3 match with Sean O. I win 2-0 due to him being on the bad side of Oath's variance against the Gush draw engine's natural consistency g1 and me finding all 3 priests g2 (I kept a hand with Double Priest, tundra, mox in it and found third one off Dig through time).

Nice games and chat after the game. Sorry for bad draws, look forward to playing against you again some time Sean.

"Your first mistake was thinking I would let you live long enough to make a second."
jgs192
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2015, 11:29:08 am »

I won 2-1 versus Brian for our Week 3 Match.

Game 1: I win the die roll. I keep a solid hand that consists of Crucible, Shop, Revoker, Factory, Thorn, Waste, and Golem. Brian keeps a hand of Misty, Dack, Lotus, Strand, Mentor, Ojutai, and Dig. I open with Shop-Thorn-Pass. Brian cracks a Misty for Island, plays and sacs Lotus to play Mentor. I play an uncounterable Golem from Factory-Shop and pass. Brian plays Strand and passes turn to me. I attack with Golem thereby bringing Brian down to 14 life. Second Main I cast Revoker naming Dack. I play Waste and cast Sphere ending my turn. Brian cracks his Strand for an Island and taps both Islands to cast a Mana Crypt creating a Monk token. Brian ends his turn. I draw a Sapphire and cast it off Shop mana. I then play my second Waste and tap out to cast Crucible. I then proceed to attack with Golem and Revoker (no blocks) bringing Brian's life total down to 6. Brian takes no damage to Crypt on his upkeep. He draws a Fluster and ends turn. I animate Factory and proceed to attack with Golem and Revoker again. In response to my attacks, Brian casts an A Call creating another Monk. His A Call was Tundra, Misstep, and Gush. Brian blocks my Revoker with his now 3/3 Mentor and team blocks my Golem with a 1/1 and 2/2 Monk tokens. My Factory sneaks in for 2 damage bring Brian down to 4 life. I pass turn. Brian goes to 1 life after taking damage to Crypt. He draws a FoW. He casts a Preordain that cost 2U. He buries a Probe and Fire//Ice. Brian draws a Delta off the Preordain. He plays Tundra and Gushes into a Strand and Pearl. He attacks me with his now 4/4 Mentor while leaving his two Monk tokens for blockers. Before Brian passes turn to me he must discard Delta, Strand, Misstep, and Fluster. I draw into my second Smokestack. This time I am able to cast a Smoke and pass turn. Brian loses game 1 to Mana Crypt.

Game 2: Brian keeps a solid hand of LoA, Island, Steel Sabotage, Preordain, Jace, Volc, and FoW. My seven are two wires, two Chalices, Tomb, Factory, and a Dismember. I decide to keep. Brian opens with Island and ends his turn. I draw a Golem. I open with Tomb-Chalice on 1 only to be Sabotaged. I play Chalice on zero next and pass turn. Brian draws a Lotus and casts Preordain. He finds a Tundra from Preordain. Brian plays LoA and ends turn with 5 cards in hand. I draw a Sphere. I play Factory and cast a countered Wire. Brian pitches Jace from FoW. Brian draws and casts Dack. I draw into a Chalice and cast it for 1. Brian finds Fire//Ice and Ojutai off Dack +1 but unable to cast the furious dragon yet. I draw a Shop and I cast a Wire and Sphere to buy time for to try and draw a Revoker. Life totals at this point are 17-12 in Brian's favor. Brian +1 Dack again to find two Deltas. He discards both and plays Tundra ending his turn. I actually draw into a Revoker naming Dack. I animate and attack Brian with my Factory. On his upkeep he uses Fire on my Revoker and me. He draws a Volc. Brian +1 Dack again and draws into Tundra and Ponder. He discards Ponder and Volc. Brian plays Tundra and ends his turn. I draw into Karn. I cast Golem and pass turn. Brian draws Strand and steals my Golem with Dack. He plays Strand and ends the turn. I draw a Waste and declare GG.

Game 3: Brian's hand has only a Jet and Mulls to 6. He keeps Preordain, Probe, Lotus, Emerald, FoW, and Dack. My hand consists of 2 Shops, Tomb, Sol Ring, Dismember, Tabernacle, and a Wire. I Mull to 6 as well. The 6 I keep are a Waste, Shop, Karn, Dismember, Golem, and Chalice. My Chalice on zero is immediately countered by FoW with Brian pitching Dack. I play Waste and end my turn. Brian Probes and draws a Ponder. He plays Lotus, Ponder (draws Dig), plays Emerald, Sol Ring, and casts Dig. Finds and plays Delta and has Sabotage and Preordain in hand. I draw a Factory and play Shop-Golem only to be Sabotaged. Brian draws a Misty and casts Preordain. He draws Fire//Ice off Preordain and plays land for turn. I draw a Lotus and cast Karn while destroying his Emerald. I play Factory and pass. Brian draws Strand and plays it for turn. Life totals are 20-16 in my favor at this point. I draw a Shop and attack with Karn. Brian ices my Shop and draws a Delta off it. I play Shop for turn. Brian draws into another land, this time a Volc. I draw a Tomb. This time I attack with Karn and Factory. Brian draws into another land. Land, land, land equals Game 3 and Match win for me.

In sum, my good fortune and Brian's bad luck (Game 1: Mana Crypt and Game 3: 3 land draws in a row) got me there. GGs Brian!

Though he eventually came to despise Tocasia, Mishra listened well to her lessons on clarity of purpose. Unlike his brother, he focused his mind on a single goal.
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2015, 01:06:28 pm »

Great report, very thorough and accurate. 

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2015, 09:23:07 pm »

So, Tom Dixon messaged me and told me he had his match with MaximumCDawg from Trimester One tonight, and he lost in 3 Games. After giving it some thought I gave Max his win since he earned it fair and square.

Here are some notes from Tom's Match:

G1 I had Wasteland Double FoW double Trap Misdirection and Drain. Sketchy keep, but I got there on lands and stick a Jace, but he had 3rd Hexmage for it and he eventually closed with Death's Shadow with 2 Misstep to protect. G2 I rolled him with Standstills despite him having a lot of threats. G3 I had to mull to 5 and he had t3 Hexmage Depths. I blanked on 20 outs (4 plow, 4 wasteland, any mana source for Verdict)

Here are the Standings after the First Trimester:

Matthew Gottshall (3-0)  
White Lotus (3-0)  

Brian Kelly (2-1)  
Sean Ottaway (2-1)
Dave Kap (2-1)  

James Saltsman (1-2)  
Tom Dixon (1-2)
MaximumCDawg (1-2)

Stormanimagus (0-3)  
Wappla (0-3)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:45:50 am by msg67183 » Logged

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2015, 03:46:23 am »

A few changes were made to the standings.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: