TheManaDrain.com
December 04, 2021, 06:45:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Teferi's realm  (Read 2917 times)
John Cox
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: May 09, 2015, 06:45:21 pm »

Any thoughts on whether this is playable? It seems great against delver/mentor and splashable against workshops as much as trygon would be.

TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:00:25 pm »

Would be good vs tokens as they all die on exile.  Might also be good to sweep the board of shops on your turn and remove all chalice counters (does it remove counters and does it reset smokestack/tangle?)  But, for hosing shops, E-flux just seems better, and for tokens it seems illness in the ranks is easier to cast and just better.  i GUESS it does double duty as sb hate, but just seems really narrow to me.  If you're phasing out critters, how are you winning?  Storm I guess.  Though your opponent gets to choose too, and I'd think exiling lands/moxen would hurt storm as well.  Seems really narrow as tech and hard to pull off without getting stifled yourself.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
diopter
I voted for Smmenen!
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:29:56 pm »

Doesn't stop Delver of Secrets, which is extremely problematic for you. 1UU is at or near the top-end of most curves, kind of a gaping hole in coverage.

As far as the 3-spot against Shops, it's tough to beat Dack. Dack will turn losing boards around, Realm won't stop even an average Lodestone draw.

As a general rule, your SB cards should be highly impactful to your win percentage. All the usual math applies - if you're a dog in game 1, you need to dominate SB matches. Realm is okay in two matchups but you need that slot to overrun in one instead.
ed0
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 07:10:36 am »

Am I missing something essential here? What does the card do against mentor/pyromancer tokens?
It's only phasing out nontoken permanents, so at best it slows the mentor/pyromancer player by stopping him from generating tokens during your turn.
diopter
I voted for Smmenen!
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 09:08:45 am »

Good catch ed0!
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:29:42 am »

Am I missing something essential here? What does the card do against mentor/pyromancer tokens?
It's only phasing out nontoken permanents, so at best it slows the mentor/pyromancer player by stopping him from generating tokens during your turn.

People were reading the actual card and not the errata, which makes no sense compared to the card itself.  Hooray for errata making cards less playable!

Equipoise may be an option though as for some reason that one was not errated.  So you can kill most of their token creatures with that.  It's one sided too, which has its advantages.
JarofFortune
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 10:17:04 am »

This card was used in Doomsday Sideboards for a while as anti-shop tech in the vein of Hurkyl's. I believe it is no longer used because in a deck without full moxen it can't consistently be cast.

The Auriok have fought the metal hordes for so long now that knowing how to cripple them has become an instinct. -Metal Fatigue
Ten-Ten
Basic User

Shalom Aleichem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 10:47:55 am »

People were reading the actual card and not the errata, which makes no sense compared to the card itself.  Hooray for errata making cards less playable!
Correct me if I am wrong but the card itself says "all cards of that type phase out"
Tokens aren't cards..

Colossians 2:2,3
 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, both of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 02:26:46 pm »

Correct me if I am wrong but the card itself says "all cards of that type phase out"
Tokens aren't cards..

I see now how it could be interpreted that way by the current definition we have of the word card.  With the way it is worded I doubt this was the intention of the original card though.  It seems like it was implied to phase out all permanents of the chosen type.
ben_berry
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 03:38:29 pm »

I couldn't find any cards with original text referring to token cards. It's just creature token or token. But they do refer to creature cards in some cases and creatures in others mostly depending on the zone it's referring to. It looks like all of the former have been updated to nontoken creature cards.

Bazaar of Wonders and Arboria are two good examples of the change. Dual Nature is a good example of the design difference between tokens and cards.
John Cox
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 07:59:32 pm »

Gotcha, thanks.

fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 08:12:55 pm »

You guys should stop speculating without any need and simply read the Oracle on the card:

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses artifact, creature, land, or non-Aura enchantment. All nontoken permanents of that type phase out. (While they're phased out, they're treated as though they don't exist. Each one phases in before its controller untaps during his or her next untap step.)
ben_berry
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 10:19:53 pm »

You guys should stop speculating without any need and simply read the Oracle on the card:

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses artifact, creature, land, or non-Aura enchantment. All nontoken permanents of that type phase out. (While they're phased out, they're treated as though they don't exist. Each one phases in before its controller untaps during his or her next untap step.)

Changing creatures to nontoken creatures would be a power level errata. As is it just looks like clarification as the retemplated the cards.
Ten-Ten
Basic User

Shalom Aleichem

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 10:47:39 pm »

I was not speculating, simply pointing out the fact that the card needs no errata.
Its silly how people find room for interpretation where there shouldn't..

@john cox:
I do apologize for going way off topic though.
I agree with a previous post about equipose having a better effect. Although white, so not pitchable to fow.
There are simply better blue answers.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:54:21 pm by Ten-Ten » Logged

Colossians 2:2,3
 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, both of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:28:45 am »

I think Realm was used by Menedian as anti-shop tech back in, what, 2010 - 11?  The problem is the double blue in the casting cost.  It does what Hurkyl does every turn, practically, but it is even harder to resolve than Energy Flux.

Changing creatures to nontoken creatures would be a power level errata. As is it just looks like clarification as the retemplated the cards.

Careful with the terminology, there. It's true that Realm's current Oracle text is implementing the original text, and should not be changed.  If you were to change the card to hit all permanents instead of all non-token permanents, that would certainly increase the card's power level in most situations, but it would not be "Power Level Errata" in the precise historical definition of the term.  

Remember, historically, that term refers to the practice of changing the Oracle text of cards with the intention of changing the original function and the specific motive of reducing the card's power level.  That is, the term refers to the MOTIVE for changing a card, not the EFFECT of changing it.  I've never heard of Oracle text of a card changing with the specific motive of increasing it's power level.

Now, you might say, "whats the difference," and I would probably agree with you.  However, it's a small concession to make to history to use the term correctly, and it avoids confusion.  So, yeah.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: