TheManaDrain.com
August 19, 2019, 01:33:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mana Drain League Trimester 2 Reults and Reports  (Read 3592 times)
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: May 23, 2015, 10:00:00 pm »

Here is the new thread for RESULTS and REPORTS only. Comments may only be used for matches, matchups, etc.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Winter Grudge Match lV Top 4

Creator of The Mana Drain Vintage League.

Website for The League:

http://tmdvl.github.io

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:04:39 pm »

I lost Round 4 to Tom Dixon fairly quickly, he was on Dredge and I was on Delver.

Game one he starts off with Bazaar and I Strip his Bazaar. He plays a second one turn 2 and goes for a Therapy. I scoop to not give him information.

Game two is very interactive, I have 2 Pyromancers out and a ton of Elementals and a flipped Delver and two unflipped ones. I would have won the game if my Delvers flipped, but 3 turns in a row I saw lands.

This gives me my first loss and I'm not too bummed out we had fun and what can I say, zombies ate my brains....

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:38:58 am »

Where are everyone's reports?

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
brianpk80
2015 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:23:34 pm »

I beat Sean 2-0 on Dragonlord Oath (Salvagers Oath w. Dromoka and Griselbrand).  He was playing Punishing Dack with Vault/Key.  The password for the game was Griselbrand, which ended up being prophetic.  As awesome as the Demon is, he's well beyond scope of what Salvagers Oath wants to accomplish, being foremost a Bomberman deck whose main use for lifelink fliers is sticking it to Null Rod/Wasteland decks (or keeping disruptive opponents from speaking, per Dromoka).  Since in practice his lifelink flying body was the primary source of utility, he was cut for Sphinx during the Treasure Cruise era because these guys are always in my hand, so CMC and Force-compatibility are relevant.  Unfortunately, Sphinx of the Steel Wind isn't as foolproof with Mentor so Griselbrand returned.  

My opening hand had Lotus, Auriok, Will, Force of Will, Emerald, Mana Crypt, and Tropical.  I played Emerald, Trop, Lotus and he played a near mirror image for UR of Scalding Tarn, Ruby, Lotus.  Given the Auriok & Will in hand I was dismayed to see him play an early Relic of Progenitus.  My next few draws included Jet, Tolarian Academy, and Griselbrand.  I used the Academy to hardcast Force Dack Fayden.  He had Misstepped my Mana Vault a few turns earlier leaving him no blue card for the inevitable advent of the Demon.  I wasn't confident he would resolve from my end but the Relic was so abusive to the rest of my hand I had to try.  I threw him out there, he resolved.

Game 2 was more interesting.  I boarded out an Oath of Druids or two since he had no creatures and I anticipated loads of Oath hate.  I put in Notion Thief.  He led with Cage.  After Probing him, I Flusterstormed his Time Walk since he had 2 lands, 2 Dack Faydens, Flusterstorm, and Spell Snare.  I started building a mana base and setting up Cavern plays with Sensei Top.  First came Auriok but his toys were hiding.  Auriok was able to minorly pressure Dack Fayden.  He then played Jace, bounced Auriok and Wasted my Cavern.  Auriok returned next turn but the Notion Thief in resp to his planeswalker was Forced.  Auriok killed Jace.  Mana Crypt started getting violent and he Punishing Fired me.  I played Yawg Will with Cage in play deliberately just to replay a fetch land to spin the Sensei top and find the goods, while sandbagging Lion's Eye Diamond.  A critical Mana Crypt roll was won, the top found a Gifts Ungiven, which couldn't be Flusterstormed due to being only the second spell played with me having a hideous amount of mana on board.  Gifts resolved finding all of Auriok's favorite things, Pyrite, Lotus, Engineered Explosives, and Nihil Spellbomb.  LED made infinite mana.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:26:34 pm by brianpk80 » Logged

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
wappla
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:56:53 pm »

Lost 0-2 to Stormanimagus. He is on Workshops, playing a interesting build with Ravagers, BC style four Buried Ruin, maindeck Crucible, and some other cards that had no relevancy to this particular match. I thought Storm, also sitting at 0-3, would be on either Shops or Dredge, and decided to cheat on SB cards for the former, figuring that I gained much greater percentage vs Dredge with two additional cards than against Workshops. Running Shops myself was a consideration, but I knew he would be prepared for that matchup, as he plays JGS later this trimester.

For this I was summarily punished. The type of Shops list Storm is running is called 'California' shops, as the heart of the deck is a large number of Buried Ruin, something Blaine Christiansen has done at both of the past two Vintage Championships to very high finishes. Storm wanted to call the deck MC Buried Ruin, but I told him this would lead to lots of people making jokes about it every time someone plays it. Hence the name became 'California', which, if you do not speak the fine language, is Italian for "A Workshops Deck which runs four Buried Ruin, some Smokestacks, and a non-zero number of Arcbound Ravager."

The games were non-interactive. The usual things happened in the first. In the second my hand of seven had one land and my hand of six had one, but also Hurkylls, Steel Sabotage and Force of Will with another blue card, so I was obliged to keep. He had a fine hand of seven with Lotus, Crypt, Ancient Tomb, and things to play. We exchanged our hands and a couple turns later he had a Lodestone and I had a Swords to Plowshares I couldn't cast.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:02:36 am by wappla » Logged
DaveKap
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 11:34:26 am »

Week 4:

I lost to jgs 1-2.
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 06:02:46 pm »

Got my match done with Sean, I got there in 2 games.
Game One my Delver pretty much went the distance, then a Pyromancer cleaned up.
Game Two he wasted my turn one Volc putting me behind for a while but he didn't draw much and I eventually went broken, including stealing a Sapphire and Seat of the Synod from him to Hardcast an Ingot Chewer to beat, Pyromancer also closed out this game as well.

I was actually not looking forward to the match given his list had Grove and Punishing Fire and 4 Sudden Shock in the board.

Very good games Sean and good luck to you the rest of the way!

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
WhiteLotus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 09:07:30 pm »

Week 4 : Maximum Chemdawg 1-2 White Lotus

G1: He mulls to 5 while i have turn one Ancestral on the play so not much of a game. He concedes before I get to go off and draw my entire deck a few times over + generate hundreds of blue mana in the process =(.

G2: He has two consecutive Hymn to tourrach turn 2 and 3. I manage to get a key and a map on board + 2 mana sources and I find tezzeret after playing a thoughtcast, I am set up to win next turn by fetching up the academy with Map, but he topdecks the third Hymn like a boss and takes away my tezzeret ;(. From there I topdeck blank after blank after blank after Cantrip into blank, ... I die a slow and painful death after being beat down from 20 to 0 life by the same lone Vampire Nighthawk and seeing his Liliana go all the way to her ultimate. Crazy Variance.

G3 he has turn one lotus into Hymn + inquisition of Kozilek. He chooses Twister from a hand with Land, Imperial Seal, Voltaic Key and Timetwister. Which leads me to tap my first land for key, play second land and seal for Time Vault on my turn.  His only removal is Vindicate so I play the mana crypt I topdecked in order to be able to activate the TV the turn I cast and cut his outs to 0 (seeing as he only has one land). Some might argue that taking the twister is the clear wrong choice, but due to the Mana crypt topdeck if he takes the seal I get to empty my hand and draw 7 new cards which would have completely voided all he had accomplished with the lotus + triple discard line, and put me in a pretty good shape to win with only one land on his side.
The mana crypt deals me a few damage but I am able to quickly find Vamp into tezzeret and seal the deal by attacking with a 5/5 army of Black Lotus and friends.

Much closer games than I expected due to Tourrach's Fan club singing all day long.
Now on for two Weeks of UR Delver, supposed to be an unfavorable match-up according to some, let's see what happens.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:22:09 pm by WhiteLotus » Logged

"Your first mistake was thinking I would let you live long enough to make a second."
jgs192
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 11:18:59 pm »

I won 2-1 versus Noah (Stormanimagus) for our Week 5 Match.

Game 1: I win the die roll and decide to play. My hand comprises of Hellkite, Sol Ring, Golem, Factory, Ruby, Thorn, and another Factory. Storm's hand consists of Crucible, Chalice, Wurmcoil, Tomb, Emerald, Ravager, and Waste. I decide to keep as does my opponent. I lead with Ruby, Sol Ring, Thorn, play Factory and pass. Storm draws a Buried Ruin and plays it to cast Emerald. Then casts Chalice set to zero. I draw a Tomb and play it on my turn casting Golem and floating a colorless mana to attack with Factory to strike first. Storm draws into another land, a Waste this time. He plays Waste and casts a Ravager and wastes my Tomb. I draw a Forgemaster. I attack with Golem and Storm sacs his Emerald and Chalice to Ravager and we exchange creatures. For the second main phase I play Factor number two and cast my Forgemaster. Storm draws strong with a Revoker naming my Forgemaster while keeping his Tomb in hand. I draw a Revoker of my own for my turn. I decide to Animate my Factories and attack with Forgemaster and Factories and he takes all damage. Storm's life total is at 11 at this point. He draws a second Revoker and plays Tomb for turn. He casts his Revoker naming my Sol Ring. I draw a Waste for my turn and decide to attack with my Factory and Forgemaster (no blocks from Storm) and pump Factory. I decide to use my Waste on his Tomb and he draws into an unplayable Golem. GG. I lead 1-0.

Game 2: For Game 2, since I am on the draw I board out Chalices, Trinisphere, and Thorns. I bring in post board 3 Crucibles, 1 Duplicant, 1 Wurmcoil, 1 Triselion, 2 Dismembers, and 1 Batterskull. Storms hand is Mana Crypt, Tolarian Academy, Crucible, Wire, Strip, Revoker, and Ruby. My 7 card hand is Golem, Factory, Ruby, Dup, Waste, Factory, and Tomb. Storm keeps and I decide to take a mulligan. My 6 is now Dismember, Ruby, 2 Shops, Tomb, and a Forgemaster and I decide to keep. Storm leads with Crypt, Ruby, and Academy, playing Revoker and naming Lotus, while being able to cast Crucible off Academy for a very strong start. I draw Sundering Titan and play Ruby, Tomb, and pass turn. Storm rolls for Crypt on upkeep and takes his 3 damage. He casts Wire and Portal off Academy and attacks with Revoker bringing me to 18. Storm holds his Strip in hand. I draw into Tomb number two and pass turn. Storm takes another 3 damage from Crypt (18-14 in my favor now). He taps his Cruci, Wire, and Portal to his Wire at 3 fade counters. With card advantage and Cruci out for Storm, my only chance is that is dies to his Crypt this game. Highlight/quote of the match was delivered from Storm: "I HAVE A BILLION WAYS TO SAC ARTIFACTS IN THIS DECK and I draw 2 cards a turn c'mon magic." His draw off Portal is Waste, but his draw for turn was Smokestack (this is key because he is able to sacrifice his Crypt now). He attacks for 2 with Revoker and casts Smokestack. I continue to play game 2 even though Storm has me in Waste/Crucible lock with Wire/Smoke as well, not to mention his card drawing advantage with Coercive Portal. I got 99 problems but a Karn ain't one I was thinking to myself. He draws and casts Karn for turn making matters even worse for me. I resign and we go onto the third and deciding game 3. GG. It is now even at 1-1.       

Game 3: Since I am on the play I decide to bring back in Chalices. My sideboard for the deciding game/match consists of 3 Cages, 2 Ratchet Bombs, 1 Witchbane Orb, 4 Thorns, 1 Trinisphere, 3 Spheres, and 1 Sundering Titan. I draw solidly with a hand of Crypt, Golem, Pearl, Shop, Revoker, Sol Ring, and Academy. I decide to keep. Storm draws a weak 7 of a pair of Revokers and Golems, a Smokestack, Jet, and a Wurm. Storm mulls to 6. His 6 is much better with Academy, Emerald, Sol Ring, Ravager, Revoker, and Buried Ruin. He keeps. I lead with Pearl casting Sol Ring and play Shop/land for turn thereby playing Golem. I decide to keep Crypt in hand being that I have an Academy in hand and pass the turn. Storm draws a Waste and Wastes my Shop. He continues to play Emerald for Sol Ring and casting Revoker naming my Pearl. I draw a Tomb and attack with Golem, no blocks. I cast my Revoker during second main phase and name Sol Ring and play Tomb. Storm draws Portal for his turn. Storm plays Academy and casts Portal ending the turn. I draw a Triskelion for my turn. I play Academy and cast Trisk thereby destroying his Revoker and attack with Revoker and Golem with no creatures on his field. Life totals are currently 18 to 8 in my favor. He draws Wire off Portal and Waste for turn. Storm plays Waste/land for turn and is able to cast Wire and Ravager for his turn. I tap down Sol Ring, Pearl, Tomb, and Trisk for Storm's Wire. I draw and cast Black Lotus. I attack with my my Revoker and Golem and before Storm blocks he sacrifices Sol Ring and Wire thereby making his Ravager a 3/3 and blocks my Golem. He is now at 6 life with zero creatures on board. He draws Ghost Quarter from Portal and a second Portal for his draw for turn. He play Buried Ruin and sacs it for Revoker and plays Revoker naming my Trisk. I draw a Factory for turn. I alpha strike with Revoker and Trisk. He chump blocks my Revoker and he goes to 3 life. I play Factory/land for turn. Storm draw a Wurm off Portal and a Razormane Masticore for draw for turn. He plays Quarter and taps out to play Razormane and ends the turn. Regardless of what I draw it is game at this point. I do draw a Waste though for the record. I remove a Trisk counter bringing Storm to 2 life and animate and attack with a 2/2 Trisk and Factory for the win.

In sum, winning the die roll and being able to go first game 1 is an advantage in the mirror MU. Also, deciding to board in a second Trisk got me there. GGs Noah!

Though he eventually came to despise Tocasia, Mishra listened well to her lessons on clarity of purpose. Unlike his brother, he focused his mind on a single goal.
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 10:29:22 am »

Week 4 : Maximum Chemdawg 1-2 White Lotus

G1: He mulls to 5 while i have turn one Ancestral on the play so not much of a game. He concedes before I get to go off and draw my entire deck a few times over + generate hundreds of blue mana in the process =(.

G2: He has two consecutive Hymn to tourrach turn 2 and 3. I manage to get a key and a map on board + 2 mana sources and I find tezzeret after playing a thoughtcast, I am set up to win next turn by fetching up the academy with Map, but he topdecks the third Hymn like a boss and takes away my tezzeret ;(. From there I topdeck blank after blank after blank after Cantrip into blank, ... I die a slow and painful death after being beat down from 20 to 0 life by the same lone Vampire Nighthawk and seeing his Liliana go all the way to her ultimate. Crazy Variance.

G3 he has turn one lotus into Hymn + inquisition of Kozilek. He chooses Twister from a hand with Land, Imperial Seal, Voltaic Key and Timetwister. Which leads me to tap my first land for key, play second land and seal for Time Vault on my turn.  His only removal is Vindicate so I play the mana crypt I topdecked in order to be able to activate the TV the turn I cast and cut his outs to 0 (seeing as he only has one land). Some might argue that taking the twister is the clear wrong choice, but due to the Mana crypt topdeck if he takes the seal I get to empty my hand and draw 7 new cards which would have completely voided all he had accomplished with the lotus + triple discard line, and put me in a pretty good shape to win with only one land on his side.
The mana crypt deals me a few damage but I am able to quickly find Vamp into tezzeret and seal the deal by attacking with a 5/5 army of Black Lotus and friends.

Much closer games than I expected due to Tourrach's Fan club singing all day long.
Now on for two Weeks of UR Delver, supposed to be an unfavorable match-up according to some, let's see what happens.

This was a frustrating match.  I had some technical issues on my end, but I got them fixed enough to play.  Then, when I manage to squeak by in G2 in hilarious fashion, I end up crapping my pants in G3.  Here's what I had, what I did, and what I should have done.

I mulled to 5 and kept a hand with Lotus, Plains, Inquisition, Liliana of the Veil, and Nighthawk.  He leads with mana.  I put out Lotus and Plains, and then crack the lotus for black, giving me WBBB.  I decide to Inquire first, reasoning that if he had some counter out of the board I wanted Lily to resolve.  I then see a hand involving Stroke, Twister, and Seal.  Key was either in play or in his hand, I dont remember.  Anyway, somehow the ol' grey matter did not connect the dots between Key and Seal (I blame the lack of card images, surely I'm not that stupid) and so I reason that the Twister is the biggest threat he is close enough to cast.  As soon as I take this, Storm Angus, the Cow of Thunder, points out that I just lost.  He then begins telling me the sad and obvious truth that Seal will protect his Vault from discard.  When White deploys a newly-drawn Mana Crypt next turn, I stick around to see if he's going to kill himself.  He's not that dumb.

Here's what I should have done.  I should have led with Lily, since I had not seen any countermagic from White.  I did not believe he was not at least running Force, though, and probably something out of the board to protect his combo, like Spell Pierce.  Anyway, I should have gone with what I knew and resolved Lily first to make him discard.  That way, he would have had to commit more strongly to one line of play or another based on what he discarded, and then my Inquisition would have been more effective.  As White points out, he probably would have retained either Twister or Seal regardless, and given the Crypt he drew, either probably wins him the game; I can't deal with him on the stack. 

Still, always disappointing to see the bathroom after you're busy changing your pants.
DaveKap
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:31:13 pm »

I beat White Lotus 2-0. It was tough to see both games being conceded multiple turns prior to a win, but I guess my opponent wasn't feeling it. Shattering Spree and Ingot Chewer did serious work game 2. Game 1 I countered artifacts which killed his Glimmervoids. It was pretty brutal.
wappla
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 12:14:23 am »

won 2-0 vs MaximumCDawg. Dragonlord Ojutai performed excellently against an outspoken critic. Ojutai's pilot also drew pretty insane against a deck without countermagic, and that helps the cause.

I tested this matchup a lot in the past couple days and found it to be very bad for me. I needed a significant developmental advantage to have a chance, but the number of flying threats and edicts my opponent was running meant that even into the lategame I was far from secure if I was without countermagic. My plan for the matchup was to fight fire with fire and resolve Ojutai as early and, if removed, as often as possible. I'm not running four to play him only after I'm assured of victory. In both games I tapped out to play Ojutai without protection against his edicts, and I strongly believe it was correct. I can't afford to assume he always has removal.

I lost the die-roll

G1 My hand was Mox Sapphire, Mox Emerald, Sol Ring, Gush, Gush, Ancestral Recall, Dragonlord Ojutai. I kept. I can't afford to play a slow game, so mulliganing into a hand of 6 with 3 lands would likely be a losing proposition. If MaximumCDawg does not have turn one discard spells, I am in very good shape. He didn't, having kept a hand of Wasteland, Wasteland, Swamp, Liliana, Abyssal Persecutor, Gatekeeper of Malakir. He plays Swamp and passes. I topdeck Flooded Strand, drop my moxen, Ancestral into Duress, Duress taking Liliana, the only non-land, non-creature. He wastes me but I draw Tundra and resolve Dragonlord Ojutai. He plays Bitterblossom, threatening to tie up the board with chump blockers while he can develop his other threats. I topdeck Jace and swing with Ojutai. Ojutai sees a second Jace, a third Gush and a Jet. I take the Jet and play the Jace I had. Even this simple interaction of filtering my next two draw phases is very valuable. I avoid drawing two cards that would have been blanks. I fateseal and tell him to keep Stoneforge Mystic, as he has no white mana source. Without a second black, he can't play anything in his hand and passes. I draw Brainstorm, Jace bounces the Faerie token, and I Gush into Time Walk. Had Ojutai been some other finisher, I would have drawn Jace, then Gushed into Jet and Gush that turn. Instead I drew Brainstorm, Gushed into Time Walk, and Brainstormed into Dig and Mana Drain. That sealed the game. I have two more attack phases before he draws again, which will put him to 4 life, and then I can counter whatever his next spell is.

I sideboard in two Swords to Plowshares and Thoughtseize, taking out my Moats.

G2 I win a topdeck war. My opener is insane again. Jet, two lands, Ancestral, Duress, Gush, Preordain. Again he has no T1 play, just a land. I Duress, seeing double Hymn to Tourach and taking one, then Ancestral. His subsequent Hymn strips Gush and Ruby. A midgame fight over my Liliana carries out over several turns. At the end of it he has Vampire Nighthawk in play, Batterskull in hand, and I have plenty of mana but only Misstep and Flusterstorm in hand. I topdeck one of the four Dragonlords and play him. Although Nighthawk would theoretically win the race on damage, he can't afford to let me Ponder every turn, so neither of us attack. He resolves his Batterskull. I topdeck Dig Through Time. I see Jace, Gush, Treasure Cruise. I take Gush and Cruise. Cruise finds Sol Ring, a second Ojutai and Demonic Tutor. I DT for Swords, remove his Nighthawk and swing with Ojutai. Ojutai finds my second Swords! Now I feel very good. He is hellbent and I have removal for at least one threat. I Gush into Force, and over the four turns it takes to close out the game, Ojutai makes sure I have enough countermagic to prevent anything from hitting the board. He's a planeswalker with five power. My redundant Ojutai's are pitched to Force of Will.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:12:14 am by wappla » Logged
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 03:52:03 am »

won 2-0 vs MaximumCDawg. Dragonlord Ojutai performed excellently against an outspoken critic. Ojutai's pilot also drew pretty insane against a deck without countermagic, and that helps the cause.

I tested this matchup a lot in the past couple days and found it to be very bad for me. I needed a significant developmental advantage to have a chance, but the number of flying threats and edicts my opponent was running meant that even into the lategame I was far from secure if I was without countermagic. My plan for the matchup was to fight fire with fire and resolve Ojutai as early and, if removed, as often as possible. I'm not running four to play him only after I'm assured of victory. In both games I tapped out to play Ojutai without protection against his edicts, and I strongly believe it was correct. I can't afford to assume he always has removal.

I lost the die-roll

G1 My hand was Mox Sapphire, Mox Emerald, Sol Ring, Gush, Gush, Ancestral Recall, Dragonlord Ojutai. I kept. I can't afford to play a slow game, so mulliganing into a hand of 6 with 3 lands would likely be a losing proposition. If MaximumCDawg does not have turn one discard spells, I am in very good shape. He didn't, having kept a hand of Wasteland, Wasteland, Swamp, Liliana, Abyssal Persecutor, Gatekeeper of Malakir. He plays Swamp and passes. I topdeck Flooded Strand, drop my moxen, Ancestral into Duress, Duress taking Liliana, the only non-land, non-creature. He wastes me but I draw Tundra and resolve Dragonlord Ojutai. He plays Bitterblossom, threatening to tie up the board with chump blockers while he can develop his other threats. I topdeck Jace and swing with Ojutai. Ojutai sees a second Jace, a third Gush and a Jet. I take the Jet and play the Jace I had. Even this simple interaction of filtering my next two draw phases is very valuable. I avoid drawing two cards that would have been blanks. I fateseal and tell him to keep Stoneforge Mystic, as he has no white mana source. Without a second black, he can't play anything in his hand and passes. I draw Brainstorm, Jace bounces the Faerie token, and I Gush into Time Walk. Had Ojutai been some other finisher, I would have drawn Jace, then Gushed into Jet and Gush that turn. Instead I drew Brainstorm, Gushed into Time Walk, and Brainstormed into Dig and Mana Drain. That sealed the game. I have two more attack phases before he draws again, which will put him to 4 life, and then I can counter whatever his next spell is.

I sideboard in two Swords to Plowshares and Thoughtseize, taking out my Moats.

G2 I win a topdeck war. My opener is insane again. Jet, two lands, Ancestral, Duress, Gush, Preordain. Again he has no T1 play, just a land. I Duress, seeing double Hymn to Tourach and taking one, then Ancestral. His subsequent Hymn strips Gush and Ruby. A midgame fight over my Liliana caries out over several turns. At the end of it he has Vampire Nighthawk in play, Batterskull in hand, and I have plenty of mana but only Misstep and Flusterstorm in hand. I topdeck one of the four Dragonlords and play him. Although Nighthawk would theoretically win the race on damage, he can't afford to let me Ponder every turn, so neither of us attack. He resolves his Batterskull. I topdeck Dig Through Time. I see Jace, Gush, Treasure Cruise. I take Gush and Cruise. Cruise finds Sol Ring, a second Ojutai and Demonic Tutor. I DT for Swords, remove his Nighthawk and swing with Ojutai. Ojutai finds my second Swords! Now I feel very good. He is hellbent and I have removal for at least one threat. I Gush into Force, and over the four turns it takes to close out the game, Ojutai makes sure I have enough countermagic to prevent anything from hitting the board. He's a planeswalker with five power. My redundant Ojutai's are pitched to Force of Will.

Great Job Wappla! Now everyone in the league has at least one win! Great to hear.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 10:19:13 am »

Wappla's concern was unfounded; all he had to do was make sure he had an Ancestral in his openier each game, and he was good to go!

Game 1 was terrible because he kept the perfect counter to what I was doing.  I figured that he would probably be leading with some land, and since his finishers were expensive and his draw spells included Gush, my Wastelands would keep us on parity for a little while.  But, when he barfed out the moxen and then drew 3, the dream was crushed.  He went on to draw 10 more cards than me that game.

Game 2 was so-so.  I figured that if I was allowed to resolve even one Hymn, things could get wacky fast, and with two resolving I'd be firmly in the driver's seat.  However, Duress solved one Hymn and the other one whiffed on anything significant.  From there, it was just a question of whether I could draw enough gas to keep deploying threats while he dug for answers.  He had plenty of dig -- out drew me 20 cards this time -- but very few answers, so really just continuing to cast Nighthawks would have been fine by me.  Unfortunately, I was the one drawing blanks now, and I ended the game with more than enough mana to hardcast Blightsteel.

As for Ojutai, I love people playing rogue decks and I do that myself.  But, I am skeptical about this guy - I don't know about "outspoken critic," but here's what I said initially about it:

This season's been better than most, anyway.  Not too many threads for bad cards.

And yes, this is a bad card.  I can see someone getting a spark in their eyes when they see a big dumb blue flyer that is better than Air Elemental and SEEMS like it has protection and a card advantage ability.  It has some superficial similarities with Consecrated Sphinx and Sphinx of the Steel Wind.

But beauty's only skin deep.  A big dumb beater must do some very specific things to be Vintage playable.  What this card does is NOT that.  

It dodges Sorcery speed removal.  We don't play any.

It mini-impulses when it hits the player.  The only Ophidan we play now is Cold-Eyed Selkie, a card that is cheaper, more evasive, and in the particular deck she is used, has a better draw effect than this dork.  The big dumb blue beaters some people try (Sphinx) draw cards and attack the metagame without needing to do jack.

It hits pretty hard in the air.  Goyf hits harder, Sphinx hits harder in the air, Mentor kills faster, heck, Delver kills faster by virtue of coming down so much earlier.

This card's advantages lie somewhere other than a Vintage match.

If you want PROOF that this card is poop, I give you this Vintage all-star that has better evasion and a better effect than this dragon:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=275706

If I'm wrong, this is one of those times when a card's compression of multiple roles makes it playable.  Each time I've faced Ojutai, his protection has been irrelevant.  It's countermagic that keeps him safe from removal, like any other creature.  Each time, his importance has been the card drawing ability, not the protection.  

So, enter Lone Revenant.  It's arguably got a better casting cost, and it has the same kind of draw effect.  If we consider the protection irrelevant (I do) then basically it's Revenant with flying and one turn of a faster clock.  So OJ fills this role better than Revenant.  The question is whether this makes it a legitimate contender at the five-slot, and for that, I remain skeptical.  To the extent he ends up doing something in Vintage generally, it probably has more do to with the fact that he can act as both a finisher and card advantage engine all on his own.  It's kind of like what Bob does sometimes, only OJ is way up on the curve, so he's there more to seal the deal than to get an early advantage.  And, for that, C.Sphinx still seems stronger.
brianpk80
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 10:29:21 am »

I beat Tom Dixon 2-1.  Game 1, I mulled to 5 and got Dredged.  Game 2, I had two hate pieces and Oath of Druids, and Mental Mistep for his Chain of Vapor.  Oathed up Auriok and all his toys.  Game 3 was a long convoluted affair.  I had no hard Dredge hate, but had Library, Orchard, Mox, Oath of Druids, Yawgmoth's Will and goodstuff.  Oath of Druids the card is soft Dredge hate so I was satisfied.  He led w. Bazaar and Ingot Chewered my Ruby.  I had a fast Jace and though there was still no Dredge hate, my counterspells were stopping the Cabal Therapies and Dread Returns so I only took a nominal amount of damage each turn.  The turn before he threatened lethal, Jace found the Time Walk to go along with the impending Yawgmoth's Will.  3 turns and 2 Ancestrals later, we Oathed up Auriok and destroyed his board with EE 0 and Pyrite on the Bloodghast, followed by Crypt activation.  There was unlimited access to Tormod's and Nihil Spellbomb at that point.  The following turn, I Demonic Tutored for Lion's Eye Diamond. 

Congratulations to wappla for continuing the success of the deceptively powerful Dragonlord Ojutai in this league. 

"It seems like a normal Monk deck with all the normal Monk cards.  And then the clouds divide...  something is revealed in the skies."
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 11:30:05 am »

Tom had his Week 6 match with James here are his notes:

2-0 vs Saltsman.

G1: I had Bazaar on 7, with Dredgers and Bridge. He wasted me but I was able to get to 8 a few times and eventually Ichorid and Bloodghast made enough Zombies to eat his brains.

G2: I keep a no Bazaar hand with Powder because it has Chewer 2 Claim Narco and 2 lands as well. He has no hate and only Thorns. I cast Narco to bring the beats and later draw Bazaar. From there, it's academic as my Chewer ate his Forgemaster and then another found his Chalice 1 which freed my Claim's. He also had Crypt as his mana source which really put him away.

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
WhiteLotus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 07:45:52 pm »

Got my first Match loss yesterday Vs Dave Kaplan 2-0. My opponent had the right cards to match with mine, + I was mentally preoccupied by personnal stuff so I wasn't on top of my game. Thankfully I am still tied for 1-3rd place, so not too bad.

G1 I am forced to keep a sketchy hand with 2 glimmervoids and sensei for only cheap artifact ( I would have mulled that hand if it didnt also happen to have Tolarian Academy in it).
He has the (stupid) misstep for my sensei, which kills my first glimmervoid, turn 2 I play the second one to cast preordain, but it meets a spell pierce, I conceed when he has strip mine and pyromancer on board, seeing as there is no way I'm getting to the point where I can Abeyance his strip mine + counters and play academy into spiral. I think I probably win that game if the second glimmervoid is a seat of synod instead but Variance happens.
G2 he has early ancestral + he draws 3 chewer and 1 spree, while I am on an average hand.  I conceed when he reveals dig through time to his Delver with 6 cards in hand (2 lands from gush to be fair) and I have 0 cards in hand and only Academy (Which taps for only one blue mana^^), Seat + minamo. In my mind there is no point playing out that game seeing as he probably has 1 or 2 counterspells in hand and the dig is the nail in the coffin at that point.

We had Space Stormy Stream the match and do commentary despite the extremely poor quality of the games... But then again with that deck it was either I was watching him play magic either he was watching me play, so I shouldn't be suprised.

So far, not really impressed by my deck at all compared to how it had tested.

"Your first mistake was thinking I would let you live long enough to make a second."
WhiteLotus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 01:22:07 am »

Played our match with Matt. I win 2-0.
Defense grids/Abeyances get there after being countered and tutored up multiple times.
G1 on the back of tezzeret -2 fetch Time vault + untap with Mind over Matter.
G2 I stroke myself for 27 (the rest of my deck), untap Candelabra (which untaps Academy and Minamo, minamo untaps Academy) a bunch of times with Mind over matter and stroke my opponent with over 900 blue mana in pool.

Space Stormy was streaming and commentating for those interested.

GG to my opponent, sorry for the unfun nature of the deck.

Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 01:55:12 am »

Played our match with Matt. I win 2-0.
Defense grids/Abeyances get there after being countered and tutored up multiple times.
G1 on the back of tezzeret -2 fetch Time vault + untap with Mind over Matter.
G2 I stroke myself for 27 (the rest of my deck), untap Candelabra (which untaps Academy and Minamo, minamo untaps Academy) a bunch of times with Mind over matter and stroke my opponent with over 900 blue mana in pool.

Space Stormy was streaming and commentating for those interested.

GG to my opponent, sorry for the unfun nature of the deck.

897 blue in pool  Wink

Tune in to coverage of The Mana Drain Vintage League! Sundays @ 9est/6pst: www.twitch.tv/hammybone
-Samuel Alaimo-
MaximumCDawg
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 01:26:14 pm »

I lost to DaveKap in 2, but at least my tech was on in the second game.

First match, I keep a hand with two Bobs and a Stoneforge.  I figure that I'll jam 2cc dorks until one sticks, end with the Stoneforge, and try to ride that out.  We trade discard and countermagic and then I resolve Bob.  I miss Bob's first trigger and then he eats a bolt, so Bob didn't accomplish much.  Eventually Stoneforge and Batterskull do arrive, but in the three turns it takes to get that far a Pyromancer has been giving birth for a few turns and he has been digging up a storm.  Dack arrives to deal with Batterskull and a second Pyromancer makes things totally ridiculous.

SB: I bring in the Illness in the Ranks.  

Second match, I fan to a hand with only a Plains for mana.  That's not gonna do it.  So I fan to six with NO mana.  Then fan to five, see a Wasteland as only mana.  Finally, I fan to four and find a swamp, nighthawk, Illness, and Inquisition.  I lead with Swamp->Inquire and it eats a Misstep.  Perfect.  I then resolve Illness, and hope that shutting off Pyromancer will give me time to play with.  He resolves a Delver but it can't flip, and eventually gets killed by Innocent Blood.  Then, opponent starts playing Pyros as grizzly bears, which is just fine because I'm stuck on 2 lands. By the time I finally get to cast Nighthawk, it's just too late.  

So, time to design a new aggro deck for Third Trimester!
brianpk80
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 08:26:10 pm »

I beat Stormanimagus 2-1 and the match was streamed: http://www.twitch.tv/hammybone/v/6070188

Thank you to the commentators for their work.  There were a few questions raised which I'll attempt to explain here.  In game 1, the reason I didn't play Top off Orchard was twofold.  I wanted to wait until his EoT to give him the token so he couldn't pressure Jace and more importantly, I knew the Top would go flying into the graveyard post-Oath where it could easily be retrieved by Auriok or the Will in my hand.  Also, the reason I kept Auriok #1 in hand was so that the Oath would dig more deeply.  Until I found the Orchard I put Yawgmoth's Will second from the top so that if need be, I could draw a card for draw phase, have Will be on Top, and use Jace 0 sacrificing Lion's Eye Diamond in response, then play Will with the mana and retrieve both the Lotus and LED and whatever else was in there (Repeal on something). 

The Tinker/Sphinx is in the sideboard for "fair" decks, specifically Delver but also Merfolk and Hatebear.  If there's a Cage or Containment Priest in play, Tinker can get Black Lotus, Engineered Explosives, Top, or Pyrite Spellbomb which conveniently kills Containment Priests.  I sometimes include Sphinx without Tinker as an Oath target against Shops.  I also include Tinker without Sphinx against Dredge since it gets a Nihil Spellbomb, Crypt, or Explosives.
Another thing I do in boarding on the draw v. Shop is to take out Yawgmoth's Will and Demonic Tutor.  Will is nearly impossible to get value out of with their oppression and Demonic Tutor is often too expensive and awkward to cast under Spheres.  Most of the time it's for artifact removal so it makes more sense to just drop it for a Nature's Claim/Grudge.  Keep in mind with Oath of Druids active, Grudges go wheezing off into the graveyard for future use which is happy times.

The FoW count varies with iterations but this version of the deck especially is far more combo than control.  The threats are difficult to interact with via nuisance counters, pretty much only FoW and Mana Drain (rarely seen) interact with Oath of Druids & Auriok Salvagers, so we're better off Flusterstorming that bs.  4x Force is a death sentence against Gush decks which can outdraw you like mad.  You want to negate that without pitching your business spells, which is why Cavern of Souls, Oath of Druids, and Dromoka are better places to be than FoW.  It's unique on the draw against Shops, far less impressive on the play, and that's about all that's good about it.  I appreciate 4x Force in Landstill or my Gush decks but more and more we're seeing Storm and Academy players go to Defense Grid and things that enable high threat density rather than FoW which is the better approach for a combo deck.   

Game 3, I decided not to expose the Orchard since there was nothing I feared having NC and SS in hand with 5 mana on board and Jace in play.  Anything he played could then be destroyed and if it were Chalice 1, my board state does not care at that point.  Jace will either find the Grudge, Decay, Explosives (which can then destroy any Chalice configuration since LoA and Sol Ring produce colorless) or more likely I'll ignore it and Oath up monsters.  Kael noticed I could destroy potential Revoker with Pyrite Spellbomb and keeping Orchard in hand insured against that contingency.  There was no need to rush into finding a win con cause Jace had taken over the game and would continue to do so.  Even without Oath of Druids, the point would soon approach where I'd find Academy, destroy Chalice 0 and start hardcasting the monsters.  Very inevitable.  It wasn't really a tense moment when Noah went to the landlord; the game was already won.   

And yes I board out 1 Salvagers as well as the Lion's Eye Diamond.  Good observation by Kael. 

Space_Stormy
Basic User

Trinket Mage or bust!

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 08:36:03 pm »

Well said! Was an exciting match and was happy to see it live.  I know I need to brush up on more complex interactions in Vintage as shown here.

Tune in to coverage of The Mana Drain Vintage League! Sundays @ 9est/6pst: www.twitch.tv/hammybone
-Samuel Alaimo-
Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 10:02:17 pm »

what Brian failed to mention about game 3 was how he had recall into mana sources like he needed and then chooses to pitch hurks to the fow instead of jace with no way to cast jace any time soon and THEN he rips the Black Lotus on his draw step like a champ. That was painful to see in the replays. How on earth Brian thinks he'll draw lotus there is beyond me. Heart of the cards? I really should have had game 3 under anything less than those circumstances. I lose to Black Lotus a lot. That card should be banned Smile.

-Storm

"To light a candle is to cast a shadow. . ."

—Ursula K. Leguin
brianpk80
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 12:54:52 am »

what Brian failed to mention about game 3 was how he had recall into mana sources like he needed and then chooses to pitch hurks to the fow instead of jace with no way to cast jace any time soon and THEN he rips the Black Lotus on his draw step like a champ.

Finding the path to Jace is the best way to win in Vintage.  With 3 lands in hand, Top, and Nature's Claim for anything that would prevent his arrival, Jace would be there soon enough.  And there was nothing to Hurkyl's at that point that wouldn't be better off destroyed.  Wink

Stormanimagus
Basic User

maestrosmith55
View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 01:34:27 am »

what Brian failed to mention about game 3 was how he had recall into mana sources like he needed and then chooses to pitch hurks to the fow instead of jace with no way to cast jace any time soon and THEN he rips the Black Lotus on his draw step like a champ.

Finding the path to Jace is the best way to win in Vintage.  With 3 lands in hand, Top, and Nature's Claim for anything that would prevent his arrival, Jace would be there soon enough.  And there was nothing to Hurkyl's at that point that wouldn't be better off destroyed.  Wink

Brian, one-for-ones are a tempo loss speed bump for shops at best so don't give me that bs. Not having jace on your turn 2 would have set you pretty far behind and a single claim isn't going to change that too too much. I had some really good consistent follow ups that were made totally irrelevant by jace, the mind crapper. Tangles into Golems, namely.

-Storm

"To light a candle is to cast a shadow. . ."

—Ursula K. Leguin
brianpk80
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 01:47:56 am »

Brian, one-for-ones are a tempo loss speed bump for shops at best so don't give me that bs. Not having jace on your turn 2 would have set you pretty far behind and a single claim isn't going to change that too too much. I had some really good consistent follow ups that were made totally irrelevant by jace, the mind crapper. Tangles into Golems, namely.

The Top with 2 shuffle effects will find mana, Grudges, and Oaths, and it is also known to find Tolarian Academy.  Hurkyl's does nothing to advance the game plan at that point.  Pitching it was better. 

wappla
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 03:18:52 pm »

SeanO 2-1 wappla

G1: He has a one lander that is looking bad before disconnecting

G2: Goes long-ish. I have Jace but can brainstorm into nothing but mana and counterspells. He has Dack and just keeps looting until he has ultimate. Jace never finds an Ojutai or a fetchland to shuffle away mana.

G3: I lead with Duress. He missteps. He plays Sapphire, Ruby, Key, Island, Time Vault, none of which I have counters for. I Gush on my second turn hoping for Steel Sabotage but draw Force of Will and another land.
SeanOhh
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 03:22:15 pm »

Won against Wappla in 3 games. Game one he had turn 1 Library, I never found a way to deal with it and lost pretty convincingly to Jace etc. (I actually lost my internet connection, it was as if Comcast was telling me to get the hell out of there). Game 2 I got an early Dack and a Welder in play to his Jace. I drew a lot of Forces, got Dack to ultimate range. Game 3 I misstepped a turn 1 duress, cast Vault Key on my turn 1, he didn't find an answer on his turn. Vintage, the ol' turn 1 (or turn 20) format.

Sean
msg67183
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2015, 05:35:46 pm »

Now that the Second Trimester is behind us, here are the Standings:

TMD League Standings 

White Lotus (5-1)

Brian Kelly (5-1)

Matthew Gottshall (4-2)

Dave Kaplan (4-2)

James Saltsman (3-3) 

Tom Dixon (3-3)

Sean Ottaway (3-3)

Wappla (1-5)

Stormanimagus (1-5)

MaximumCDawg (1-5)

Wow! 2 Players tied at 5-1, 2 Players tied at 4-2, 3 Players tied at 3-3 and 3 Players tied at 1-5... Good Luck to everyone in the last Three Weeks of Swiss!

Bloomsburg Tournaments:

1 Win
3 Finals
2 Top 4
2 Top 8

Outside Bloomsburg:

Website for The League:

Zombies ate your brains!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: