TheManaDrain.com
December 11, 2019, 07:52:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ORI] Scab-Clan Berserker  (Read 1104 times)
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« on: June 30, 2015, 05:46:14 am »

Scab-Clan Berserker     {1} {R} {R}
Creature - Human Berserker
Haste, renown 1
Whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell, if Scab-Clan Berserker is renowned, it deals 2 damage to that player.
2/2

Fringe card, because few decks can reasonabily play 1RR, but TMWA and humans decks should try it.

First of all, it has to be renowned, but has haste so it should be feasible against lots of decks.
Then we get an ASYMMETRIC effect attached to a 3/3 creature. Powerful? It's nothing special against dredge, oath should trump it and creature decks would be not really affected. However delver has to kill it asap (and wasting a bolt on it means 3 more damage for you and 2 damage for him), control would have problems, bomberman and storm cannot combo. Doomsday also should lose, even with maniac plan. MUD could have problems with this plus tombs (but against mud is harder to play it and also connect). Cannot say if it's gonna see play until some testing, but I don't think this is going to break vintage at all.

And a bonus track:

Abbot of Keral Keep  {1} {R}
Creature - Human Monk
Prowess
When Abbot of Keral Keep enters the battlefield, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
2/1

A different alternative to pyromancer. Playable imho, but requires preordains, ponder or brainstorm (sdt would be welcome) to have good chances to take profit. Playing it after land drop or in a deck with heavy counterwall decreases its potential. But well, even if you fail you are still having a 2/1 prowess creature. Would you prefer to play a mentor? Me too, buy maybe you prefer to avoid playing white and stay on 2 colors, or you don't want to raise the mana curve. perhaps you play sulfur elemental and this is safer. And when facing removal, this can be already be worth it with the extra card. Imagine playing abbot into abbot into something playable just now, maybe with gush between two abbots just to have enough mana.
Flash_Hulk
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:11:03 am »

The idea of a UR shell with Young Money and Abbot seems interesting, but they compete for the same curve slot, which is awkward. Also, if I'm diluting my deck with non-blue cards, I want Mentor's vertical/horizontal growth.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: