TheManaDrain.com
August 04, 2020, 09:14:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mizzix of the Izmagnus  (Read 1780 times)
TheWhiteDragon
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:59:39 pm »

Mizzix of the Izmagnus
2UR
Legendary Creature - Goblin Wizard
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost greater than the number of experience counters you have, you get an experience counter.

Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost 1 less to cast for each experience counter you have.

Vintage potential? It's pricey and killable, BUT...cast this and if it lives a turn, gitaxian probe (1 counter), DT for B (2 counters), Thirst for U (3 counters), Gifts for U, etc, etc.

I think it is an investment to land and protect (like JtMS), but if it sticks you can do some bonkers chaining with it.

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
vaughnbros
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:13:17 am »

4 mana do nothing... We've seen enough of these cards now to know they aren't vintage quality.  Id play Grand Arbiter Augustin IV before this. (And I wouldn't play the grand arbiter)
gkraigher
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:08:02 am »

this is a card:  

Benefits Goblin Electromancer has over Mizzix:

1) Costs 2 colorless mana less
2) Is not a legend
3) Immediatly impacts the casting cost of your instants

The only singular argument you could have for Mizzix is that if you played a bunch of expensive CC spells, over time you could cast them at a reduced rate.

Goblin Electromancer has never been played in Vintage, Mizzix WILL NEVER be played in Vintage. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:12:05 am by gkraigher » Logged
desolutionist
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:14:13 am »

Mizzix of the Izmagnus and Goblin Electromancer make two blue cards that make Frantic Search great.  Add in a Sapphire Medallion and you're good to go!

Join the Vintage League!
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 02:51:03 am »

Looks like junk rare to me. What is the P/T?
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 07:01:36 am »

2/2 for 2UR. He's not going to see play. If he was out of bolt range maybe, but considering how low or free most of the cards blue plays are, what sort of incremental value do you suppose this guy bring as opposed to just playing electromancer as been mentioned, or something like sapphire medallion?

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 08:28:38 am »

You know what, I take it back. Here is how this card sees play.

Experience counters are like emblems, meaning it seems like once you have them you have them for the game. There are a number of cards that trigger off this previewed so far. If a critical mass of good enough cards come out that care about these counters then maybe this guy sees play. But I have to imagine that the exp counter cards have to be already pretty damn good to start with and then have good interactions with both other exp cards and the normal vintage landscape to matter, which seems unlikely.

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
Khahan
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 10:29:55 am »

Not viable in vintage. 
Doesn't reduce the cost of:
gitaxian probe
flusterstorm
ancestral recall
ponder
preordain
lightning bolt
mental misstep
FoW/MisD (alternate costs)
mana drain
mindbreak trap (alternate cost)
vampiric tutor
gush (alternate cost)

How many slots do those cards take up in a u/r or u/r/b decklist?

It will reduce by 1 the cost of timewalk or demonic tutor.  It can reduce yawg's will, thirst for knowledge, gifts, FoF, Dig, Treasure Cruise (though often these 2 aren't issues for mana anyway). 
And many of those cards it does reduce don't get run in the same lists.  So you have a fragile and expensive conditional reduction for 5-8 cards in your deck?

What would you cut from u/r/b decklists for it?

Team - One Man Show.   yes, the name is ironic.
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 10:47:33 am »

It can reduce yawg's will, thirst for knowledge, gifts, FoF, Dig, Treasure Cruise

Sorry, why can't it reduce these costs?
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 10:51:15 am »

err... he said "can"
Saya
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 11:11:33 am »

it doesn't matter because this card is out of play!
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 11:58:59 am »

You know what, I take it back. Here is how this card sees play.

Experience counters are like emblems, meaning it seems like once you have them you have them for the game. There are a number of cards that trigger off this previewed so far. If a critical mass of good enough cards come out that care about these counters then maybe this guy sees play. But I have to imagine that the exp counter cards have to be already pretty damn good to start with and then have good interactions with both other exp cards and the normal vintage landscape to matter, which seems unlikely.

Well, 4 of the 5 legendaries with experience counters have been spoiled and nothing close to playable, especially not in combination with this guy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: