TheManaDrain.com
February 20, 2019, 02:53:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Current List?  (Read 2570 times)
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:22:32 pm »

I'm looking to revive my T4 stack, which has not been updated since 2010 (at least).  Does anyone have a current list to share so that I can get a feel for contemporary additions?

Workshop, Mox, Smokestack
Tangle Wire spells your Doom
Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

@KevinCron on Twitter :: Host of the So Many Insane Plays podcast.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 12:06:01 pm »

You can check the Type 4 mesage thread on here. We usually list all the cards to get or not in the recent sets.
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 03:15:36 pm »

You can check the Type 4 mesage thread on here. We usually list all the cards to get or not in the recent sets.

Wagner,

Appreciate it, but I've already done that.  Those threads would have you believe that everyone's stack has simply grown by 100 cards over the past few years.  Smile  I'm wondering what the full snapshot is for someone that has been maintaining a list all along, with adds and cuts.

Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

Twiedel
2012 Vintage World Champion
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:52:04 am »

Maybe this is super off-topic, maybe it's not. I'll drop it here anyway:

There's a new game that was just kickstartered, called "Epic" which is actually pretty close to Type 4 (but not MTG obviously). The whole set is designed to be draftable, has spells that cost 1 and zero, and you have a total of 1 mana per turn only.

It is pretty awesome so far, and actually uses a lot design space that is generally not relevant to Magic cards (they are after all not designed for Type 4).
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 02:40:16 am »

Wagner,

Appreciate it, but I've already done that.  Those threads would have you believe that everyone's stack has simply grown by 100 cards over the past few years.  Smile  I'm wondering what the full snapshot is for someone that has been maintaining a list all along, with adds and cuts.
I'll have my updated stack/spreadsheet in an article on EC early next week hopefully. I'm in the middle of updating it now for past couple years' worth of cards.

Want to write about Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Type 4, or Commander/EDH? Eternal Central is looking for writers! Contact me. Follow me on Twitter @JMJACO. Follow Eternal Central on Twitter @EternalCentral.
JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 02:42:52 am »

Maybe this is super off-topic, maybe it's not. I'll drop it here anyway:

There's a new game that was just kickstartered, called "Epic" which is actually pretty close to Type 4 (but not MTG obviously). The whole set is designed to be draftable, has spells that cost 1 and zero, and you have a total of 1 mana per turn only.

It is pretty awesome so far, and actually uses a lot design space that is generally not relevant to Magic cards (they are after all not designed for Type 4).
I actually played this a couple of weeks ago at a board gaming get together, and it's much different than Magic. There are no responses allowed. You just play your cards out, so it requires different lines of thinking, but is pretty fun and fast, and seems to have lots of replayability (and is very cheap!).

Want to write about Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Type 4, or Commander/EDH? Eternal Central is looking for writers! Contact me. Follow me on Twitter @JMJACO. Follow Eternal Central on Twitter @EternalCentral.
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 02:45:54 am »

I am also interested in an updated Type 4 list.  I'd like the Pucatrade guys to build one.

JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 12:03:17 am »

Current list/article now up here:
http://www.eternalcentral.com/type4update2015q4/

fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 09:28:47 pm »

Jaco, any reason you use Force of Will? I mean, Isn't Cancel just as good (or Dissolve, since it adds more strategy)?

What about Twincast instead of Fork? I'm just asking because I'm thinking about building this stack and, although I own FoWs, etc, I never played Type 4 so I wonder why you'd put FoW instead of anything else.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 11:19:18 pm »

Jaco, any reason you use Force of Will? I mean, Isn't Cancel just as good (or Dissolve, since it adds more strategy)?

What about Twincast instead of Fork? I'm just asking because I'm thinking about building this stack and, although I own FoWs, etc, I never played Type 4 so I wonder why you'd put FoW instead of anything else.

Because in Type 4 "free" spells don't count as your spell per turn, so FoW allows you to play 2 spells in the same turn. There are so many counterspells with positive effects that there is no reason to play Cancel.

Twincast and Fork are the exact same thing. There isn't much point switching one for the other. You could play both, but the card is really not that great in T4 and there are much better ones that give the same effect. I don't get why your list still has Twincast yet the superior Wild Ricochet has been cut though.

I also noticed you don't have Holistic Wisdom in either your current stack nor your cut cards. Have you never played that card? It's one of those that can easily be broken. Same for Yawgmoth's Agenda.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:38:44 pm by Wagner » Logged
fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 09:35:54 am »

Oh, I didn't know that rule. Got it. Smile

I'm researching stacks to build one. What are your lists?
CHA1N5
Full Members
Basic User

bluh

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 12:29:55 pm »

All, my list has been updated (through Commander 2015) and posted.  Pending Oath of the Gatewatch additions now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E__pPpcBiGNmQJ3bWVLPBjCf0LchuyPRLEIM1z04KjA/edit?usp=sharing

Counter, Sac, Tap, Fade

fsecco
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 07:01:29 pm »

Thanks! Can I ask one more question for you guys? How do your lists play out? Are they more comboish, or rely more on combat, etc? I mean, I read somewhere that drawing cards is extra powerful in Type 4, yet you guys play things like Grisel, Ancestral Recall and Jin-Gitaxias on your lists. Care to discuss (or point me where I can read about this)?
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 10:05:48 am »

Thanks! Can I ask one more question for you guys? How do your lists play out? Are they more comboish, or rely more on combat, etc? I mean, I read somewhere that drawing cards is extra powerful in Type 4, yet you guys play things like Grisel, Ancestral Recall and Jin-Gitaxias on your lists. Care to discuss (or point me where I can read about this)?

Card drawing is good, but if you're playing in a group and you draw too much, you risk getting ganged-up on. Grisel and Jin-Gitaxias are too good as they can easily win the game by themselves, even against multiple opponents. Ancestral Recall is good but nothing special, there are better card drawing in T4.

Some people like to play more creatures, more like more combos, up to you to decide what to play. If you notice that the game ends whenever someone plays a card, then maybe that card should be cut. Same thing if the game stalls when a card is played (looking at you Mistmeadow Witch). I've seen a guy that had a T4 with only white and blue control cards. Basically, play what you think is fun!
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 11:43:09 pm »

When mana isn't a concern, Opportunity is better than Ancestral.

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: