TheManaDrain.com
July 21, 2019, 06:33:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old School at GP Oakland  (Read 3609 times)
Max Power
Basic User

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:53:02 pm »

My brother and I will be in Oakland for the Grand Prix and we want to know if there is any interest in getting together some Old School magic there.

I know that there are a few players in the Bay Area who might want to go, but maybe more since it is a Grand Prix.

So far we have 2 perhaps 3 players for it.  Any more?
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 01:56:53 pm »

Yes, I am.  I think Vintage Magic may be trying to organize a small offsite old school event on Sunday.  Will let you know. N
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:01:00 pm by Smmenen » Logged

eliotd
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 07:36:37 pm »

Definitely interested and have at least 3 participants. Looks like CF is still working on the side event schedule, maybe they'd host an official Old School side event?? Who do we have to lobby?  Very Happy
Max Power
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 06:50:24 pm »

We (the four of us in my group) are still wondering what the banned/restricted list will be as we divide up the power and staples among the 4 decks that we have planned.  Seems like we have enough for an event already!
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 07:43:34 pm »

We will likely be using Eudo B&R list. 

eliotd
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 01:23:00 pm »

Looks like CF has agreed to let us use space at the venue for Old School play on Sunday, but it will be a casual tournament with no buy-in/prizes. I imagine we could still all sign a Moss Monster or Giant Shark or whatever to give to the winner in true Swedish style (I'll bring one of each just in case...).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/267586756684840/permalink/786058118171032
eliotd
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 01:13:34 am »

Meet at 11am at the side event registration desk. Same rules/sets/restricted list as Eudemonia.

http://www.eudogames.com/magic/160228-old-school-magic
grandpa_MTG
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 02:33:12 am »

Got the all clear for Old School, see you at 11am
eliotd
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 10:02:40 pm »

What a great event, thanks to all who showed up and participated on Sunday! Jason was the winner at 4-0 with The Deck. I believe Ryan (WW), John (Deadguy Ale) and the fellow who beat me in the last round piloting the Blue Artifacts deck whose name is escaping me at the moment all finished 3-1. If anyone else has more results details, please share.

Am I correct that we ultimately had 15 players? I didn't manage to get a copy of the pairings sheet. I have photos of 10 full decks and action shots showing three more, plus Eliot Burk's White Weenie which isn't in any of the photos, which makes 14, and we had an uneven number of players since someone had a bye each round, so I gather there must have been one other deck that I missed?

Here are photos from the event. See you all at the next one - time to brew up something new!

Blue Artifacts

Red/Black aggro control

Deadguy Ale

Goblins!

Mono Green running sans sleeves (love the Hidden Path tech!)

Red/Green zoo

Jason's winning list, featuring the prize Moss Monster

Another build of The Deck

My Underworld Dreams combo deck

Ryan's White Weenie

Decks we didn't get full photos of:

The Deck featuring Alabaster Potion (!)
Steve's Black Blue White deck
Eliot's White Weenie
Green White Blue (Erhnamgeddon?)
Another one?

Some action shots:

Alabaster Potion!

Llanowar showdown

Big Mana Drain fueled Fireball

Mr. Moss Monster

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:17:23 pm by eliotd » Logged
Max Power
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 03:46:38 pm »

Thanks for posting this Eliot.  We had a great time playing in this event.  I've already started working on some other deck ideas that have been floating around. 

I lost to Eliot's Winds of Change combo deck, and I can certainly say that one of my favorite aspects about 93/94 is that losing a match isn't as bad in the format because it usually involves interesting card interaction.

I look forward to the next event, even if I won't be able to make it to Eudo Games in February.
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 01:54:01 am »

sweet photos Eliot.  Please share this link with folks for the next event: http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=48358.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: