TheManaDrain.com
April 19, 2019, 05:52:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Myriad Games closing  (Read 1049 times)
OGB
Basic User

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:32:30 am »

So I heard that Myriad will be closing at the end of January. They've long been a great supporter of vintage and it'll be sad to see them go.

To my knowledge there are no other stores in the area that host regular vintage tournaments. Would any of the regulars like to explore other options?  And how far is everyone willing to travel? 

Hopefully we can keep the NH vintage scene going.
TheBrassMan
Administrator
Basic User

AndyProbasco
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:20:51 pm »

Dan Yarington (owner of Myriad games) was/is a pillar of the vintage, and general magic community. Not only did he build a thriving tournament scene for years and years, he was a deck innovator whose tech is still influencing the vintage metagame today. I have many fond memories of Myriad events, and met a lot of great players and friends there. I'm sad to see the store go, but I'm sure Dan is making the best move for him, and I'm glad he's doing so.

Myriad always made vintage players feel welcome, the staff was super friendly, (the bathrooms were crazy clean for a magic store), and I'll never forget some of the entries into the "best deck name" competitions!

You'll be missed, Myriad Games! I'll put on my Myriad Games T-Shirt and have a toast in your honor tonight!

Team GGs:  "Be careful what you flash barato, sooner or later we'll bannano"
"Demonic Tutor: it takes you to the Strip Mine Cow."
ErtaiAdept
Adepts
Basic User

cmasley1218
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:38:08 am »

For what it's worth, the Manchester store is staying open.

I spoke with a few of the Myriad regulars this past weekend, and received confirmation from Ben the Salem store manager that they are closing the other two locations to refocus on the Manchester store. 

Not that I would be super excited to drive the extra distance to Manchester every month, but hopefully they will continue the vintage events at that location.

Bill Copes bought me a beer after using the power of his mind to remove all the Bazaars and Serum Powders from my deck in two consecutive games.

Team TMD
"Dice have six sides for a reason.  There is no excitement in surety my friend."
nataz
Full Members
Basic User

Mighty Mighty Maine-Tone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:01:45 pm »

I'm really sad to hear this. I've always admired Dan not only for his unyielding love of games, but also his dedication to running a successful, honest, and community based business. I'm am relieved to see that while he may be down he isn't out. From reading the post on his website, it sounds like he is doing what he needs to do to take care of his employees, stay true to his values, and remain profitable.

His unwavering support of vintage was beyond reproach, and his Salem store was pivotal in building and maintaining the New England vintage scene. It's hard to describe the meat grinder of talent that was NE vintage in it's heyday to people who were not there, and Dan was a big part of building that up by running monthly vintage, month in and month out for years (over a decade? - god I got old). I always figure most people have long forgotten/don't realize that Dan was a prolific deck builder, and I always smile when I see the threads of one of his odd/awkward innovations influencing some sexy new deck strategy today.

The world needs more people like Dan. So cheers to Myriad, and may the Manchester re-launch be both profitable and happy.

I will write Peace on your wings
and you will fly around the world
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: